Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like that fourth wall breaking. "Looks like your done now. Go outside and play!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
It's 3AM Spidey I'll get eaten by coyotes

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

GamesAreSupernice posted:

It's 3AM Spidey I'll get eaten by coyotes

Coyote man...
Coyote Man...
Does whatever a Coyote Can..
Has Rabies, bites real hard...
be careful, part wolf part dog,
Look out here comes Coyote Man!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The New Game Plus mode

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I'll admit, that really makes me wish they got Keaton for Spidey instead of Toby.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

VolticSurge posted:

I'll admit, that really makes me wish they got Keaton for Spidey instead of Toby.

What's funny is that he played second fiddle a second time in 2007 for the Spidey game Friend or Foe, where he voiced New Goblin again. He didn't get to finally voice Spidey until the next year for Spectacular.

Kelsing
Oct 24, 2010

Did you see that, Zach?
The best thing in the world was putting on the cheat that makes the Goblin Glider never overheat and just completely decimating everything in the game by stunlocking them until they die with the machine guns. Or just using Goblin's ability to run super fast to knock all of the enemies over forever. What a great bonus mode.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The last video for The Movie Game

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
You should've let that Skull kill you

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Alexeythegreat posted:

You should've let that Skull kill you

Which one, there were dozens

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Which one, there were dozens

The one in the tutorial. If you do that, Bruce Campbell says something sarcastic about you being pathetic

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Alexeythegreat posted:

The one in the tutorial. If you do that, Bruce Campbell says something sarcastic about you being pathetic

Aw drat, I can't believe I missed that one

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Thank you everyone for watching The Movie Game. Just like last time I'm going to take a break to work on a few small projects before coming back for Spider-Man 2. Cheers

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

VolticSurge posted:

Considering it seems like they literally recycled some of the exact same lines from the Spider-Man playthrough, I wonder if this mode exists because they already recorded dialogue with Keaton before Tobey was confirmed, and then realised that they could reuse it to make Goblin Mode.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Yvonmukluk posted:

Considering it seems like they literally recycled some of the exact same lines from the Spider-Man playthrough, I wonder if this mode exists because they already recorded dialogue with Keaton before Tobey was confirmed, and then realised that they could reuse it to make Goblin Mode.

I'm willing to bet that was the case.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Let's Play Spider-Man: Friend or Foe

Friend or Foe is the odd one out. Yes, even more odd than the original movie game. Developed by Next Level of Punch-Out!! Wii fame, this one's a straight-up unapologetic beat 'em up. You play as Spidey and his many allies, tackling wave after wave of cloned enemies until a bridge lowers, a door unlocks, or a barrier falls. It is what it means to be, and nothing else.

But surely there's a hook? Of course there is. There are around a dozen different playable characters, each with their own special attacks. They're not all created equal, but they all play differently enough to require different approaches, however shallow said approaches might be. It's at least enough to entertain a fan of beat 'em ups (me) across the game's 5-6 hour length, not counting any extra time one might spend upgrading Spidey's webbing abilities.

On the more superficial side of things, the most obvious selling point is the capability to specifically play as supervillains, hence the title. The game takes place in a much goofier, light-hearted universe to compensate for how weird the idea of a Rhino/Spidey team up is. There's also more than a few anachronisms, like the New Goblin and traditional Green Goblin existing at the same time, or Doc Ock's portable sun from Spider-Man 2 being used to power holographic monsters.

I think that about covers it, so let's get to punching some PHANTOMs. Oh wait, almost forgot...

Big Disclaimer

Due to the incredibly repetitive nature of Friend or Foe, and its weird place in the 3D Spidey world of game design (it's clearly not inspired by previous games, and doesn't even preted to borrow elements from any of them), I'm going to be slowly updating Friend or Foe intermittently across the entire rest of Treyarch's titles. It won't be completely finished until the curtain closes on Web of Shadows.

Videos

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 27, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It definitely helps that hte Alfred Molina Doc Ock looked really good, and I like the cartoony design here. Although, the levels are far too long for how little their is to do in them. I played this until a canyon level then just stopped.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

It definitely helps that hte Alfred Molina Doc Ock looked really good, and I like the cartoony design here. Although, the levels are far too long for how little their is to do in them. I played this until a canyon level then just stopped.

It doesn't help much that the levels get longer as the game goes on.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Wait, was Harry using Goblin's stuff while not actually being Goblin?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

Wait, was Harry using Goblin's stuff while not actually being Goblin?

Thinking too much about the character backstories in this game is probably bad for your health

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oscorp Japan, for all your Goblin needs

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Doc Ock being a power type character isn't that odd given not only are genius bruisers common in the comic medium but the animal the Doc himself is based on is both super smart and fairly strong.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 31, 2016

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH
Part of me is disappointed that they didn't try to write "Oscorp" in katakana.

Also, I get the feeling that most of the mid-level banter with the villains will just be Spidey trying to annoy them.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

AmewTheFox posted:

Part of me is disappointed that they didn't try to write "Oscorp" in katakana.

Also, I get the feeling that most of the mid-level banter with the villains will just be Spidey trying to annoy them.

Spidey has a set number of phrases, but each ally has unique reactions to them

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Speaking of Spidey's lines, I like him mentioning that he wanted a fruit pie since Hostess regularly advertised in comics to the point Linkara did an episode devoted to comic ads, particularly these, and small comics which turned into a series of videos called Comic Book Quickies.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
God, it is so loving weird hearing James Arnold Taylor voice Spider-Man.

Still, if there's one thing I like about this game, it's the cutscenes. That SHIELD computer's snark gets me every time.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

KieranWalker posted:

God, it is so loving weird hearing James Arnold Taylor voice Spider-Man.

The only other time he did was in Lego Marvel Superheroes

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Friend or Foe may be one of the only Spider Man games I purposefully avoided. The art style just threw me off, and I don't really like Beat Em Ups.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
I FUCKEN LOOOOOOOOOOOVE PUMPKIN BOMBS!!!!!!!!!!

(I tried to play this, but it was way too repetitive. Love the art style, though.)

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The repetition is a serious issue, but spacing it out enough actually makes me want to play more of it, so maybe they should've put a safety timer in as a mechanic so no one dies of boredom

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Let's Play Spider-Man 2

Spider-Man 2 is considered the big one. The first 3D title by Neversoft was a huge success, no doubt, and the Movie Game follow-up by Treyarch -while weird- expanded on the formula and added ambitious features, like 30 unlockable combos and full mid-air combat. What does Spider-Man 2 do, then? Well, it makes everything better.

Let's get the big one out of the way, alright? In the three previous 3D games, using Spidey's speed was absolutely critical to success, but the freedom of movement this time around has been expanded to such a degree that it renders itself nigh-unrecognizable in comparison to earlier efforts. The Movie Game introduced the idea of nuanced swinging, but Spidey 2 adds layers of complexity and new ideas that dwarf even its own oft-cited ability to swing from actual objects.

The upgrade to the combat has been somewhat less shocking, and is a more reasonable continuation of previous efforts. The web combos from Spider-Man 2000 and Enter Electro have been mixed with the sheer variety of options in The Movie Game. The result is not only the first game without limited webbing, but a much greater focus on fighting in general. To sweeten the deal, all of the moves at your disposal actually have unique functions that make them each a valid option, unlike The Movie Game's similar combos, which tended to replace one another's utilities. Quantity and quality is preferable after all.

Lastly, now we're open world. The mission structure is reasonably uncomplicated and straight-forward, but there are a nice variety of randomly-appearing rescue missions, racing challenges, and uh... you can deliver pizza. The reward for all of this is Hero Points, used to make Spidey's new-and-improved agility and combat skills even more new and improved. This is a much better alternative to finding hidden combo icons (from The Movie Game), as it directly correlates to the player's skill and is genuinely fun.

Is it the single most creative Spider-Man game? No. Is it as weird or crazy as the first Movie Game? No. But it's way, way more appealing to the average consumer, and has loads more polish. If any title deserved to legitimize Spidey's game career, it's probably this one.

Videos

You make my heart beat faster, baby.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 28, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I forgot how grainy the PS2 version looked. Not that this is a particularly pretty game on any platform, but the Gamecube and Xbox versions are at least a bit smoother and have slightly nicer effects. The Gamecube version doesn't seem to have a widescreen option for some reason, though.

I fired up my Gamecube copy after watching this episode, and even though I haven't played the game in 12 years the web-swinging is already coming right back to me. The rest of the game doesn't seem to have aged all that well, but the movement was always the main draw anyway.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Doc Morbid posted:

I forgot how grainy the PS2 version looked. Not that this is a particularly pretty game on any platform, but the Gamecube and Xbox versions are at least a bit smoother and have slightly nicer effects. The Gamecube version doesn't seem to have a widescreen option for some reason, though.

I fired up my Gamecube copy after watching this episode, and even though I haven't played the game in 12 years the web-swinging is already coming right back to me. The rest of the game doesn't seem to have aged all that well, but the movement was always the main draw anyway.

It has certainly aged better than the first Movie Game, at least.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Now the game really starts, which is good for me and you!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

man MJ sure has a lot more spunk in the games. Reminds me of one of the reasons I really enjoyed Amazing Spider-Man, they kept Gwen's personality intact from the movie and made her even more snarky

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Aces High posted:

man MJ sure has a lot more spunk in the games. Reminds me of one of the reasons I really enjoyed Amazing Spider-Man, they kept Gwen's personality intact from the movie and made her even more snarky

Do you mean the ASM game? Because if so I agree.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I loved Gwen in the ASM movies, especially in the second one where Spiderman webs her hand to the car to keep her out of danger and she's just like "PETER!" *:ohdear: as she realised she almost outed him*

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

I loved Gwen in the ASM movies, especially in the second one where Spiderman webs her hand to the car to keep her out of danger and she's just like "PETER!" *:ohdear: as she realised she almost outed him*

Vexx is a good game

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Vexx is a good game

Awww you read my posts :3:

*Edit* Didn't see the custom title until updating my own thread, that's pretty amazing.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Our first supervillain! (In this game)

• Locked thread