Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
http://puu.sh/r1ntv/60dea05dc3.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

thathonkey posted:

do you work in a knife store or sometjing

No I work at the gently caress you store.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

carrying a knife is a doofy thing in its own right, but saying that every man should have a lighter is weird as hell. Who uses a lighter for any reason if they're not a smoker?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fonzarelli posted:

carrying a knife is a doofy thing in its own right, but saying that every man should have a lighter is weird as hell. Who uses a lighter for any reason if they're not a smoker?

I sometimes use one to burn/heat/melt stuff (:monocle:) but, just as with knives, I don't need to carry one around.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

I sometimes use one to burn/heat/melt stuff (:monocle:) but, just as with knives, I don't need to carry one around.

its okay to have one for lighting birthday candles and stuff but if you are bringing it into the world as though you are going to need to start some kind of fire for warmth is just nutso

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Fonzarelli posted:

real men smoke

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A good multi-tool and a lighter should be in your glove box at all times. On your person if you like to be even more prepared. People would freak out if they left their home with out their wallet or phone, and those won't give you heat when you're cold or an edge when you need one. I get most people in an urban environment won't run into many situations where a knife or lighter could save them, but I'd rather have them with me for that 1 in a million shot.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

Solice Kirsk posted:

On your person

People who say this and things like "out of doors" are the urban prepper mall ninjas that this thread is mocking.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

genesplicer posted:

I always carry a Leatherman with me when I go out. I like having a mini toolkit with me, should I need one. At school, I generally need it at least once a day for some reason.

Im with GS here, very useful yes please.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I need a cutting and minor repair systems platform because I'm a tactical operator.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

blugu64 posted:

I need a cutting and minor repair systems platform because I'm a tactical operator.

being that my title has "Operation" in the name. Yes its helpful.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

itt: I never need a knife or tool, and if I did I would just go upstairs into my moms junk drawer and get it

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I carry a boxcutter at work and I can pull it out, cut open the box without cutting too deep and damaging the contents, and stow the cutter back in my pocket with my eyes closed all the while. I cut my hand much less than half of the times that I perform this. I think I cut my hand more often when I'm looking at what I'm doing.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Fonzarelli posted:

The idea is that if you carry a lighter around there is a nonzero chance that someone will ask you for a light and that it gives an opportunity to open a conversation and meet people. This probably had more heft in the last century than at present because now it sounds like a very silly way to meet people, not to mention that the only people you would meet this way are limited to smokers. The lighter represents more of a modern talisman, because its immediate utility is even more limited than that of the knife, because we as a society very rarely have to start fires for any survival needs anymore. One can easily imagine a scenario in which some slag-loving-grey fall day finds oneself in a downtown back alley, reasons and motives unclear. Perhaps a young woman on her break is huddled against the broad side of a geriatric Windstar trying to keep the spitting sleet out of her face long enough to keep a flame for more than a single pissing instant from her Bic. You can picture it in her fingers, a well-loved little thing wrapped in holographic tape one bored summer Sunday, now fuel starved and destined for the dump by November. You approach her. "May I offer you a light?" Your eyes flash beneath your hood. Within minutes you have shared your life stories. You laugh as if you're old friends reuniting. Fifteen minutes smear and distend into a brief eternity folded into a single instant when she says she has to go back to work and parts with you. The warmth in your heart wards the chill the rest of your walk home, and only as you're sliding the key in the door do you realize you never exchanged names. You chuckle to yourself, step inside and sit down to ruminate on the nature of such fleeting relationships in your journal.

Moments after having this fantasy you grab a Zippo from the impulse buy rack in the line at the Walmart and set it down, in a gentlemanly way, on the conveyor belt. The fantasy gradually recedes into a subconscious backseat of your mind, where you carry the lighter around for three weeks and gradually forget about it when the opportunity fails to arise. At some point you toy with the idea of having it engraved with the name of your first love, but instead had it engraved with "gently caress COMUNISM" in a reference to Preacher, even though you had never actually read Preacher, but found the reference relatable enough. You carried it around for a while again after that, and one day while playing with the cap in your car while trying not to let your McNuggets drip BBQ sauce on your phone screen, you notice the spelling error and the Zippo then occupies a permanent spot in your glove compartment because your brain tells you it might come in handy but you're too embarrassed to keep it on you lest someone notice it and too frustrated by the experience to get a new, correct one. Eventually you settle on carrying a pocket knife instead.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
here's the knife i use most of the time

it's really good. having a knife owns. ok welp cya

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Airborne Viking posted:

People who say this and things like "out of doors" are the urban prepper mall ninjas that this thread is mocking.

Shock horror as goon expresses displeasure with the out of doors.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I carry around my old skinning knife because sometimes things need to be cut and/or skinned. :shrug:

Lost Canyoneer
Nov 1, 2009
This thread is GBS in a nutshell. The idea that goons could get worked up over something as innocuous and meaningless as carrying a pocketknife is hilarious.

Pocket knives are handy tools, and that's it. If you guys are trying to overcome the stereotype that your whole lives consist of sitting in front of of a computer in your mom's basement eating Cheetos, you're failing miserably.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Once a friend of mine left a little leatherman at my apartment and by the time I discovered it they had bought a new one and told me to keep the old one.

I kept it on my keys for several years and every once in awhile it did come in handy, usually the knife or the pliers. Last year I accidentally brought it to the airport and when they found it I just told them to toss it because I didn't have time or want to spend the money to mail it to myself or whatever.

So now I do not have one and life goes on.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Lost Canyoneer posted:

This thread is GBS in a nutshell. The idea that goons could get worked up over something as innocuous and meaningless as carrying a pocketknife is hilarious.

Pocket knives are handy tools, and that's it. If you guys are trying to overcome the stereotype that your whole lives consist of sitting in front of of a computer in your mom's basement eating Cheetos, you're failing miserably.
:goonsay:

You seem pretty mad about knives bro. Here's the thing. A significant amount of people that carry knives do so for self defense purposes, which is what people are making fun of since that is a challenge to a hand to hand fight to the death.

Acting like the only people that carry knives have some rational purpose that necessitates the knife on a daily basis is disingenuous, and saying that your bullshit reason prevents anyone from ever criticizing knife wielders is dumb.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

knives are the flame to the goon moth, if this thread and that guy that films himself attacking water bottles are any indication

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fat Shat Sings posted:

:goonsay:

You seem pretty mad about knives bro. Here's the thing. A significant amount of people that carry knives do so for self defense purposes, which is what people are making fun of since that is a challenge to a hand to hand fight to the death.

Acting like the only people that carry knives have some rational purpose that necessitates the knife on a daily basis is disingenuous, and saying that your bullshit reason prevents anyone from ever criticizing knife wielders is dumb.

Yeah, people that carry a knife for defense are retarded, but that doesn't make knives any less useful as one of the keystone tools of humanity. Has anyone in the thread said they carry one for self defense even?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, people that carry a knife for defense are retarded, but that doesn't make knives any less useful as one of the keystone tools of humanity. Has anyone in the thread said they carry one for self defense even?

http://globalnews.ca/news/2169438/watch-man-tries-to-rob-store-with-sword-finds-clerk-also-has-a-sword/

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

If I was gonna use my Swiss army knife for to slay a man or stand my ground or what have you the last tool id.use was the blade. The corkscrew might be useful if I.could.click it out in tine while being violenced

Best bet would to be hope they're holding an unopened beer bottle, deploy.the cap lifter flick the bottle cap at great force into their eye then collapse their solar plexus with a Tae-Knwon Do kicks.

Or shoot them.

12gaugelobotomy
Apr 25, 2012

I need to get me a self defence sword

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Great, now that robber is gonna come back with a pole arm and the store will be forced to counter with a phalanx.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Real men carry a hatchet

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/Bdfx7l4z5cQ

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

General Dog posted:

Real men carry a hatchet

i remember watching this as a kid who didn't own a hatchet yet at the time and never realizing how absurd that looks

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jonny 290 posted:

here's the knife i use most of the time

it's really good. having a knife owns. ok welp cya

why do you carry 5 knives?
I really like CRKT stuff, good value and a broad catalog. The swindle is my favorite

I carry this

Its almost 4 inches and automatic, much like my dick
I like that it doesnt have a safety because im an adult that can cut myself on accident as much as i want

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 6, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I carry a pocket razor blade knife because those are actually useful and its something I use for actual things every day as opposed to people with bemchmades and the like that whip that poo poo out at a moments notice when someone makes a face opening their bag of pretzels

One of my employees literally races me to open a box or something at work with his stupid knife then procedes to struggle with it half the time . I even ordered him a proper razor knife FOR WORK FOR FREE and he still doesn't use it

Knives are good for prying (which nobody will do with their $148 knife) and survival (hahahah) and nothing else

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 6, 2016

several friends
Apr 7, 2015

of course it's dildo colour too lol

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
The Funny Colour (Dildo)

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

big shags posted:

of course it's dildo colour too lol

its actually evangelion unit 01 colored

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Lost Canyoneer posted:

The problem is actually that a bunch of stereotypical goons who sit in front of a computer at an office job all day are play-acting at being a manly man who needs tools at the ready 24/7 "just in case", jumping at every opportunity to bust it out. Like the type of person seeing you about to open a box with scissors and jumps up and says "WAIT! use this instead!" and then posts on the internet about how they "need" it every day. All the examples people are coming up with like opening boxes, tightening chair screws (as if that's something you have to do, like, ever), cutting an apple...all of those things you can do very easily with tools that are almost certainly laying around somewhere at any typical office/whatever without needing a 500 tools in 1 device.

The only people who have any business carrying them are people who are actually using it for their job where no better tools are available, or as part of an outdoors activity. Otherwise it's like hauling around your computer everywhere on the off chance someone asks you to calculate something for them.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
I take back what I said earlier. LOS ANGELES knife laws suck.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tony Homo posted:

I take back what I said earlier. LOS ANGELES knife laws suck.

they arent so bad, no butterfly knives, no 3 inch automatics, dont open carry anything longer than 3 inch blade

having a large assisted open in your pocket is fine as is a tiny 2 inch automatic

The rule on concealed carry and most of the other ones are unenforcable and conflict with state laws

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 6, 2016

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

I got my first Swiss Army knife knife when I was about eight or so and I kind of feel naked without at least a knife these days. I hate that feeling where I'm out and about and need a tool and don't have one, and a knife you're willing to beat the poo poo out of is a lot of different tools in one in a pinch. I had a leatherman wave that I really liked but it broke and I haven't gotten it fixed. I have a really really sick benchmade now that I love. It's super pretty, light, well built, and came with a lifetime guarantee so that I can just send it in and get it tuned up for the price of postage any time I like. Also since I basically only wear carhartts in most day to day situations, there's a nice little pocket that it can clip to where it isn't loving my phone up or whatever and I basically don't need to even think about it until it's time to break down some boxes at work or whatever

Real Mean Queen fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 6, 2016

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
I've just never found a knife to be as good at breaking down boxes as a razor.

Blade thickness has a lot to do with it, that and the knife is never as sharp as a razor and needs to be resharpened as often as you would just switch out razor blades.

I do have a use for a multi tool/swiss army knife but just a straight knife? You know office apple peeling guy just does it because of how it looks to use a knife to peel an apple, which is both terrible on the knife, unsanitary (since he said he also cut boxes with it and probably isn't cleaning it between tasks) and a thin blade paring knife would work way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Everybody thinks you're a nerd when you pull out your knife but doesn't start poo poo because its not worth the social conflict fyi!!!!!

• Locked thread