Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Pablo Bluth posted:

How is the Lotus 49 participation held up?
http://iracer.info/ - always a good resource

But I mean to give you an idea, there have been 371 people in Formula Renault races this week, 582 in GT3 races, 780 in Skippy races, and according to this website, 0 in Lotus 49 races. Ouch.

I think the Lotus 49 has 2 or 3 very specific times on the weekend that all drivers agree to race. It's not a series where you're going to just drop into a race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Yeah I've only been able to do Lotus 49 during the weekends.

Some of those guys are loving FAST. And I'm pretty good in no downforce open wheelers.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Series like that decide beforehand which session they will race in to get official results.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There's an unofficial GTO series up now, using the 24 Heures Du Fun name.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

D-Class National Series around Daytona is entertaining this week. 30 laps, no cautions. It's pretty difficult to raise your SR mind you. I thought my race last night was pretty clean and I picked up a 3rd place but still managed to accrue 6x.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

C series trucks at Chicagoland is safe as gently caress. I only got a 2x because no flags were called and after 30 laps my tires couldn't take anymore of my abuse, so I hit a wall.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
It's a fine combo. Fine, fine combo.

D car at Daytona is a laugh riot because there's no plate on the car, so this glorified rookies race with no cautions is actually faster than the Sprint Cup car around Daytona. Mayhem.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
The D Class thing caused a huge meltdown; usually it mimics the K+N Series (mostly short tracks including a few free ones, maybe one cookie cutter, I think it's a good schedule and I'd run it if it had yellows and longer races) but they sent their schedule proposal in late, so they either ended up with an iracing one or some joke one that a guy submitted that at one point has five cookie cutters in a row. I mean it's a loving awful schedule and I hate the people that unironically defend it but the meltdown was glorious...

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I snuck a little trolling in over that whole situation. 2 things set me off, 1) some D license guy who just joined making constant posts about how "the community schedule IS what we're running, deal with it" - to which I'd just reply constantly that "hey, looks like we're still on the iRacing schedule and not yours, what's up with that?", and the 2nd with people constantly declaring that "this is a short track series" - well, looks like we're at Daytona, Talladega, Texas, Charlotte, Michigan, Kentucky and Chicagoland. Had a lot of fun prodding those people. I don't mind discussion and disagreement of course, but a lot of people kept using that matter of fact "this IS what is happening" style of posting so it's a lot of fun needling those people.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
:siren: Audi + Caddy at Lime Rock in 2 and a bit hours from this post :siren:

:getin:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Fun race getting murdered by Audis from all sides on a standing start (was in the Cadillac).

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
It's that time again, it's a new Gooncar Championship season!

(Times in UK time, 10th race tbc but almost certainly an oval for an even split)

:siren: New scoring rules! :siren:

To make the championship a bit closer beyond 'who can show up to the most races', this season will have a system where a driver's three worst scores are dropped. I'll have to do this manually so if I gently caress it up yell at me, but it should be ok as it'll mostly be 'didn't show up to a race, scored 0 pts' for most people anyway. Only other caveat is that the three scores can't all be from one track type (so can't be 3 road or 3 oval, but can be any 2:1 split otherwise).

Everyone get hype, first race is tonight at Lime Rock which we're all familiar with so :getin:

poshphil
Jun 17, 2005

Nice, I am hoping to make it tonight, should be back from my parents in time. I am hoping to also make it to more than one race this season too so I'll have to actually buy some oval tracks.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
That's a good angle on scoring, should improve things a little bit, and that looks like a step in the right direction on tracks - way to mix in some of the paid content. Good season.

So hey, anyone looking to run triples or improve their monitor situation, check out the Acer G277HL on Amazon for $170. No clever referral link, just search it if you want it. I bought 2 yesterday just to use on a secondary computer since monitors are so cheap now. These things have no bezel and no dead space, so 3 monitors next to each other would practically be one unbroken image and would look great. I'm actually considering buying a 3rd, making these my racing monitors, and then moving my current screens to the other computer and having 1 spare and coming up with something to use it for.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

So hey, anyone looking to run triples or improve their monitor situation, check out the Acer G277HL on Amazon for $170. No clever referral link, just search it if you want it. I bought 2 yesterday just to use on a secondary computer since monitors are so cheap now. These things have no bezel and no dead space, so 3 monitors next to each other would practically be one unbroken image and would look great. I'm actually considering buying a 3rd, making these my racing monitors, and then moving my current screens to the other computer and having 1 spare and coming up with something to use it for.

3 eggs on newegg, problems with dead pixels and flickering I guess. Bezel is still there, just looks slightly slimmer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah that's pretty a standard bezel size these days. I guess if you're looking for cheapo monitors those are ok. But 1080p60 at 27" is pretty crap. The only thing that monitor has going for it is IPS and 27".

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 18, 2016

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Sitting two feet away from a 55" TV is the way to go.

Also, how do I turn my draw distance up? In Chicagoland, cars will disappear down the stretch and reappear as they're in the corner and I'm approaching it, and it sucks.

Edit: actually I think 60" would be just a little better. Could see the side mirrors on indy cars then as it is, I see enough of the mirrors to see my back tires.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

The General posted:

Sitting two feet away from a 55" TV is the way to go.

Also, how do I turn my draw distance up? In Chicagoland, cars will disappear down the stretch and reappear as they're in the corner and I'm approaching it, and it sucks.

Edit: actually I think 60" would be just a little better. Could see the side mirrors on indy cars then as it is, I see enough of the mirrors to see my back tires.

Couple things I can think of could be causing this.

1) Max cars in display options could be set lower than the field size

2) In documents\iracing\renderer.ini

LODpct could have been set well over 100 to improve fps

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
:siren: Race up in 5, be in Mumble etc :siren:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Welp, that was an amazing race, too bad OBS hosed up for the second time today.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
Can you translate the time to American Time, otherwise I'll never figure it out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you go to Leagues > League sessions it will show all the session start times in your local time. If you're on discord, you can also use !next to find out when the next goon race is.

Regarding the dynamic track model, I really like it. Maybe I was just getting better as time went on but I was really feeling a difference in how the track drove as the race went on. As the track rubbered in, I could feel more grip and I was getting on the gas earlier and could go a lot faster around the corners.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

osker posted:

Can you translate the time to American Time, otherwise I'll never figure it out.

You can Google "17:00 UTC to Eastern" or whatever and it'll pop right up.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Is there some graphics settings to make rubber show up? I think I have everything pretty much maxed but I couldn't tell any difference.

Was really sad to see you losing it yesterday, Vando. I had settled in to have that going until the final lap.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
"Render dynamic track data" needs to be checked.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

My times are solidly mid pack but I always loving lose it in traffic and end up killing myself and/or somebody else. I need to get better at that.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Larrymer posted:

My times are solidly mid pack but I always loving lose it in traffic and end up killing myself and/or somebody else. I need to get better at that.
You hit me 3 times at Summit Point, that was a lot of fun. Don't panic when there's cars around you - you should basically drive the same, just using slightly less track.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Stick to your line and don't worry about the people around you. If you can't see them it's not your problem.

Pay attention to your spotter though, as they'll let you know if somebody is inside or outside. Basically drive predictably when in a crowd.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Larrymer posted:

Your situational awareness will come with practice and never not using the Spotter and F3. With that and a bit of track knowledge, you'll instinctively start to run the 'ok, there's a guy alongside going into this corner, so for us both to survive I need to adjust my line by this much, which also means I need to adjust my braking point by this much and my entry speed by this much' process in traffic without a problem.

This is also why, once you've got the basics of a particular car/track combo you should pretty much never touch closed private test sessions if there is open practice with that same combo available to you.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Once again iRacing can't keep a secret and the surprise car is right there in the new required update.

It's a Nissan GTP ZX-Turbo, an IMSA Prototype than won the 1989 championship.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 19, 2016

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
:getin:

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah they went ahead and released the car today, the new series is coming tonight:

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3502288.page

quote:

Good morning!

In today’s minor patch/build, we decided to also release a new car. The Nissan ZX-T, a 1989 GTP Car!

We will place this car in a series with the Audi 90 that we released last week in a mixed class series. The series will be called the Kamel-GT Championship. The Series will start with the new race week tonight! The series will race primarily on the tracks that were raced during that era in the IMSA series.

We initially intended on releasing the car tomorrow. It is tomorrow’s “surprise” to end the suspense. However we figured with a build going out today anyway, it is a little more efficient to simply include the car in today’s build. Additionally, our member site was hammered last week all at once with last week’s surprise and our website load balancing system struggled spreading people out to all the servers efficiently. (Working on improving that.)

We still will launch the video tomorrow at 1:00 live as planned and you can learn much more about the car and get some insider information and insight just like last week’s Audi 90 video. I recommend you still tune in or watch it later at your convenience, the video is very interesting.

Good racing!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I took the spoiler tags off since it's not even a surprise any more.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Not only do I love the car, but I love that series description - "The series will race primarily on the tracks that were raced during that era in the IMSA series." Here are the tracks we'll race:

Daytona road
Sebring
Road Atlanta
Summit Point
Lime Rock
Mid-Ohio
Mosport
Watkins Glen
Road America
Sonoma
Laguna Seca

Very much a "IMSA with classic cars" thing happening here. e: I know drat well this is an IMSA series, I mean it's just like the current IMSA series (too)

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 19, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also that means the series will use 3 free tracks a season if it sticks to that schedule.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Amazing.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Helicon One posted:

Your situational awareness will come with practice and never not using the Spotter and F3. With that and a bit of track knowledge, you'll instinctively start to run the 'ok, there's a guy alongside going into this corner, so for us both to survive I need to adjust my line by this much, which also means I need to adjust my braking point by this much and my entry speed by this much' process in traffic without a problem.

This is also why, once you've got the basics of a particular car/track combo you should pretty much never touch closed private test sessions if there is open practice with that same combo available to you.

I think my problem is that I never have enough people in practice sessions with me, and I'm always just trying to make faster laps and running the normal line. I need to try some alternate lines to see how much I need to brake and not die.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

That's what was killing me trying to race gooncar. I'm used to racing games where the AI can't handle side by side and racing online is hopeless.

I'd be game to buy some sessions where we practice racing with traffic and reform every time it gets strung out.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Just join any oval race with cautions, you'll be side by side before you know it. The skill absolutely translates to the road side. Everything else you need to be in road sessions, but to fast track your ability to drive in a crowd, just use oval races.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Resubscribed now that there's vive support. iRacing sure does take forever to load.