Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I can't tell if I'm horribly over leveled or if this game just gets extremely easy far earlier than I thought it would, I just beat the boss after getting the sensor in 2 turns. Level 36 and a +8 charged poison claw did roughly 800 damage with 2 rakunda stacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Einwand posted:

I can't tell if I'm horribly over leveled or if this game just gets extremely easy far earlier than I thought it would, I just beat the boss after getting the sensor in 2 turns. Level 36 and a +8 charged poison claw did roughly 800 damage with 2 rakunda stacks.

Yeah I'm a bit after that, level 37 or 38 and it's very easy at the moment. I blame Fusion Booster mostly but I hope the difficulty ramps up a bit.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is it just me, or are recommended fusions usually completely awful? Mido's recommending a bunch of fusions that don't take advantage of affinities and stats, and it always uses the demons that are most useful to me. What exactly makes a particular fusion "recommended"? And am I missing out on anything by ignoring it?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 24, 2016

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yeah I'm a bit after that, level 37 or 38 and it's very easy at the moment. I blame Fusion Booster mostly but I hope the difficulty ramps up a bit.

Towards the middleish part of the game it does a bit. You start to get a lot of boss rushes, and the last few bosses can wreck you at level 99 if you don't know what you're doing. (on War difficulty at least)

Some of the postgame content can get really punishing too.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i hate hordes

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I love hordes, they're like giant piles of EXP just waiting to get Hama/Mudo to the face.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Unless they're Tengu hordes and then they can go gently caress themselves. Had to claw my way back from one demon left once thanks to those bastards.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Just finished the well, and I'm super-tickled at how I basically got lucky and fused a Hathor before walking into that boss. My magic build continues to be incredible, once I figure out what element my enemies are weak to.

I love all of the little changes in this game - it's a great step up from SMTIV in a whole lot of ways, but the single best change in my opinion are the modifications done to the hama/mudo skills. They're now decent damage dealers in their own right with a chance of insta-kills, instead of skills that are useless unless you're facing a demon who is weak to them. (Yet useful for the enemies, as they can one-shot you if you're unlucky.)

Also, shout-out to the "demon will join you after three tries" thing, that's the best change. I'm really bad at talking to Mermaids and Apsaras....

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah, I'm really impressed with the light/dark changes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Persona 5 also has a similar thing except they just gave Light and Dark actual attack spells in addition to the insta-kills. The franchise as a whole seems to be moving away from Hama/Mudo being only instant-death which I like a lot.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man, you are as cool as you are fat!

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

cenotaph posted:

Yeah, I'm really impressed with the light/dark changes.

My MC I built as a strictly Light/Dark guy and it worked really well, it's a great change. Some of the best spells now are Light or Dark. The first DLC demon has a Light spell so overpowered that until it got nerfed in a patch it could one-shot any boss in the game, including the final boss.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

where do i go after initially fighting shesha? all my quests are completed and im not sure what to do

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

nevermind i remembered the mapper exists

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Cake Attack posted:

nevermind i remembered the mapper exists

I know right?! The map is actually functional!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Anyone complaining it got too easy - stop fusion boostering. I realized that was clearly wrecking the curve for me personally and it's ridiculous how high you can take it. I was getting to areas then realizing I not only had all the demons in that area already, I had already fused them into something stronger.

Meanwhile I've been leveling DEX and STR equally and can't tell if this is a bad idea

StrixNebulosa posted:

I love all of the little changes in this game - it's a great step up from SMTIV in a whole lot of ways, but the single best change in my opinion are the modifications done to the hama/mudo skills. They're now decent damage dealers in their own right with a chance of insta-kills, instead of skills that are useless unless you're facing a demon who is weak to them. (Yet useful for the enemies, as they can one-shot you if you're unlucky.)

Yeah I had a Principality with the light boost passive just wrecking random encounters with Mahama. Even if nothing is weak it just does good damage.

I was actually a bit bummed when I let it evolve to Power and suddenly he had a lot less MP and magic

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Anyone complaining it got too easy - stop fusion boostering. I realized that was clearly wrecking the curve for me personally and it's ridiculous how high you can take it. I was getting to areas then realizing I not only had all the demons in that area already, I had already fused them into something stronger.

Meanwhile I've been leveling DEX and STR equally and can't tell if this is a bad idea

Yeah I had a Principality with the light boost passive just wrecking random encounters with Mahama. Even if nothing is weak it just does good damage.

I was actually a bit bummed when I let it evolve to Power and suddenly he had a lot less MP and magic

I haven't touched Fusion boosting - I just tend to overlevel a bit because I like to fuse my guys only when they have all of their skills, which means running around to level 'em a bit so I can fuse and thus get room in my stock to recruit more guys.... (I've been expanding my stock instead with my app points.)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Q: does anyone bother with any demons that have mixed stats or really anything other than super high magic? Is there a point except in v specific circumstances

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Q: does anyone bother with any demons that have mixed stats or really anything other than super high magic? Is there a point except in v specific circumstances

If they have good Resists or Null anything I can sit them on the front lines with healing skills and play medic.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
It's a little ludicrous how many levels you need to raise Leanan Sidhe to get her final skill, which is just Media.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I'm disappointed that the challenge quest α and β tracks are not present.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I just use whatever I can fuse at any given time, I just make sure to keep at least one high MP demon with Media/rama and one of the two essential buffs (defense or hit/evade).

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ok I legitimately said "yeah!" Out loud when they brought back the boss music with the weird steel drums

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Where do you get the black card in Ginza?

Also, now that I've got Toki I think I missed where I'm supposed to go from there. I'm a bit under the weather and medicated so something tells me I missed it.
nevermind figured that part out.

SylvainMustach fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 25, 2016

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

SylvainMustach posted:

Where do you get the black card in Ginza?

IIRC it's a reward for completing a side quest. I don't remember which one exactly but it explicitly tells you that the Black Card is the reward in the quest description.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The Jade dagger walls and "you're trapped! repeatedly press X to escape!" things are terrible additions to the game, tbh. I appreciate them trying to find a way to make the reused dungeons feel different, but constantly having to backtrack to go power the dagger up is just busywork, and the traps are just time wasters.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The dagger is ok, I have seen worse gimmicks and they occasionally have some mildly interesting puzzles with it.

The traps are inexcusable though, who the gently caress thought randomly having to mash attack was an engaging gameplay mechanic?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I wish the characters in this were older than 14-15. The deviant Japanese have filled the game with weird sex stuff. Mara said he was going to jizz in and around me and make me hot and sticky, and the 14-year-old girl just touched a magic lust jar that made her cum.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hey Genpei, can we suggest fanart for the OP and such? Because this bad boy of a game just started scratching an itch I thought long gone, and badass pictures need to follow:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I wish the characters in this were older than 14-15. The deviant Japanese have filled the game with weird sex stuff. Mara said he was going to jizz in and around me and make me hot and sticky, and the 14-year-old girl just touched a magic lust jar that made her cum.

I would have thought this was all completely serious until I read the "jizz" part. I can see the rest of that happening.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
What would have happened if I refused to open the Ark? Either at the start of the quest or the end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Deified Data posted:

What would have happened if I refused to open the Ark? Either at the start of the quest or the end.

Dagda goes "Lol, nope" and hijacks your body to do it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

I would have thought this was all completely serious until I read the "jizz" part. I can see the rest of that happening.
for once I'm 100% serious. Mara has gone full-on (hurhur) "ha ha im a penis" in this game, which is otherwise fantastic but

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

for once I'm 100% serious. Mara has gone full-on (hurhur) "ha ha im a penis" in this game, which is otherwise fantastic but

THIS game?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

oh yeah I forgot about beating off this magnificent schlong. never mind

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Surely he didn't actually use the word jizz though, right? I mean come on, at least make it a double entendre!

Well, at least Raidou 2's version had some penetrating humor.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Wark Say posted:

Hey Genpei, can we suggest fanart for the OP and such? Because this bad boy of a game just started scratching an itch I thought long gone, and badass pictures need to follow:

Yeah, sure, the second post is for anything goons think are worth posting for the whole thread.

Also, though I missed the discussion earlier, I thought it might be worth mentioning since some people were relying on Fusion Booster---Fusion Booster is kind of a trap and long-term is a waste of your Application Points. You stop getting AP once you hit level 99, AP-granting items are very rare unless you abuse DLC, and getting Fusion Booster up to a level where it makes a notable difference is expensive. Once you hit the upper levels Fusion Booster loses its utility and all the points you put into it instead of something else have gone to waste.

The better applications that are level-gated are pretty expensive too (it takes 240 AP to get party MP regeneration, 360 AP to unlock all your MC and demons' skill slots, 150 AP to reduce Compendium prices etc) so any points you waste in Fusion Booster are points that could have gone to something that would have remained consistently useful. It makes things easier for yourself in the short term, but in exchange for potentially handicapping yourself in the long term. I'd advise against getting it unless you plan to abuse the DLC.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 25, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've just been going for MP Regen, skill slots and I dropped 20 AP into the "make demon negotiations more friendly" which was completely worth it because it cuts massively down on the time you spend negotiating.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I've just been going for MP Regen, skill slots and I dropped 20 AP into the "make demon negotiations more friendly" which was completely worth it because it cuts massively down on the time you spend negotiating.

Yeah the 20-AP negotiation app is a must-buy. The MP regen is good but it's way more expensive to max than it was in SMTIV. The apps are trickier this time around because all of the good ones are much more expensive. Each additional skill slot costs more in SMTIV:A whereas in IV it was just a flat 30 per I think. You have to be more careful in general where to put your AP in IV:A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Getting the fusion boosters and frequently fusing higher level demons also means you're probably getting demon whispers less often, so your MC skills don't fill out as quickly.

I'm taking them anyway, because I'm having a good time playing this differently from SMT4, but I'll probably grab the AP DLC later. For now, I'm at level 29 with fusion booster 5, and my team of level 36-38 demons feels ridiculous.

• Locked thread