Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DICKLORD BONE posted:

heroin withdrawal

I don't get that poo poo I literally just stopped taking morphine and never got sick. Probably because it was extended release and it wasn't actually getting me high, just stopping the pain. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Nothing wrong with a bit of heroin or morphine. Just don't go overboard

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I have done a lot of things that ended up being very painful (surgery w/ local anesthesia wearing off midway through included), but son of a bitch if the worst pain I ever felt wasn't hardcore throwing out my back. I cried any time I got in or out of my car because the pain was so bad for a few days. I have joint problems anyway but that was just torture for days on end.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Professor of Cats posted:

This sounds like a nightmare, friend. Good lord.

It wouldn't be half as bad if it wasn't a thing that can only happen during public transit. :(

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pick posted:

I have done a lot of things that ended up being very painful (surgery w/ local anesthesia wearing off midway through included), but son of a bitch if the worst pain I ever felt wasn't hardcore throwing out my back. I cried any time I got in or out of my car because the pain was so bad for a few days. I have joint problems anyway but that was just torture for days on end.

I got a pretty lovely back and I throw it out doing a lot of everyday poo poo if I'm not careful but honestly I think hips, ankles and feet are worse than some back pain tbh. :shrug:

e: I can't actually throw my back out because of the spinal fusion but the tendons pull so easy.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Spine pain is def the worst

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I got a pretty lovely back and I throw it out doing a lot of everyday poo poo if I'm not careful but honestly I think hips, ankles and feet are worse than some back pain tbh. :shrug:

e: I can't actually throw my back out because of the spinal fusion but the tendons pull so easy.

I have a connective tissue disorder and have dislocated basically every limb joint at some point or another, but in comparison the spine was just unreal.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pick posted:

I have a connective tissue disorder and have dislocated basically every limb joint at some point or another, but in comparison the spine was just unreal.

Yeah it is unreal because it's just nerves and it's not doing you any biological function to feel traumatic pain. At least you have something to associate the pain with that is relevant to poo poo. But yeah nerve pain sucks it feels bigger than you sometimes.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

I injured my back as a kid and am prone to throw it out. It's always painful, sometimes to the point of wanting to scream, when I throw it out, and often painful just in general, but I would only say I experienced unbearable pain a few years ago. I don't remember what I did but it was debilitating. I could move around and walk fine, although it hurt, but if I bent over, my torso would lock up and feel like someone was ripping me in half. I was in too much pain to balance or couldn't balance so I would just tip over, causing my spine to straighten when I hit the ground which was the worst thing I've ever felt. It was so painful I wouldn't even make any noise. I could never clearly think when it was happening but my wife told me I didn't even make any noise. I'd just suddenly open my eyes wide, freeze, and fall forwards. I had a huge knot on my forehead from trying to get into the car.

What's strange is that I could do everything but bend over without it hurting exceptionally bad. Usually every movement hurts when my back is out.

Costochondritus was also pretty goddamn horrible but not nearly as bad. The only time it gave the back pain a run for its money is the first morning I had it when I had to get my daughter out of her crib. I got her out but I was tearing up and thought I was going to break my teeth by the time I had her. Immediately called my wife and told her she needed to come home immediately.

flick my Mr. Bean fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 23, 2017

Stocky Manhood
Jul 29, 2014

Can I get a hat wobble?
At age 10, I contracted a strange flu-like illness that caused very intense abdominal pain. Ive broken several bones, but they were nowhere near as bad as this sickness.I missed Halloween (and the opportunity to wear my sweet ninja costume), but got better before it could be properly diagnosed.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

ive broken a bunch of bones and dumb poo poo but nothin compares to when i was a retarded teenager and ate a shitload of morning glory seeds which i guess have cyanide or somethin i nthem and proceeded to violently throw up and poo poo myself while feeling like my arms and legs were literally going to fall off from vasoconstriction for roughly 24 hours

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I think it was probably when I volunteered for Red Cross after 9/11 and got a force activated nerve stimulation chip installed at the base of neck after I was marked for deviant/subversive behavior because some rear end in a top hat trapped me in an elevator and took it up to the 6th floor of a damaged hotel to" take a peek" and I didn't have a choice because he had already pressed the button. Then later I had poo poo to do and bags of garbage were piling up in the cafeteria so I took some garbage out to the dumpster and got a stern talking to by some officials and had about 40 minutes of missing time. Then like a week later my neighbor who was in rotc or some poo poo with his roomate (who was like Pakistani or something), who was also doing undercover intelligence work on minorities, asked me to help roll a keg into a freezer, and although i didnt specifically injure myself from doing that (medically documented through orthopoedic doctors), it activated the nerve stimulator and put me in constant searing pain in my neck and shoulders. Mylogram confirmed no nerve injury. Spent a week in the hospital and underwent a battery of tests, but and during a spinal tap in my neck they installed an attenuator to the nerve stimulator. Eventually I got away from the nerve pain by living remotely. But then friggin scientists engineered an rna binding carbon structure from the 4 pints of self-donated blood that were left over from a previous surgery that interfaced with the attenuator to block and overstimulate an entire nerve channel that traversed several vital organs. That was administered by a police officer who held me on false accusations. So that was p painful or whatever.

pardon me could you repeat that. i'm not sure what happened or if you're just a regular crazy type person.

for me it was when a doctor was putting in local anesthetic to cut off an ingrown toe nail. mother fucker hit the nerve and god drat i could see all of my leg with my eyes closed. gently caress.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

myDad posted:

Nothing wrong with a bit of heroin or morphine.

Cogently said.

quote:

Just don't go overboard

Unfortunately that's the part where it all tends to fall down.

I think it's interesting that a lot of posts in this thread are withdrawal-related. More than I expected. I've had extreme digit damage too (thumb almost off!) but really didn't think the pain of it was extraordinary or anything. The fuckin' lidocaine injections were very uncool, though. Apparently there's acid in the drat stuff.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Probably the time the doctor shoved a q-tip up my dick hole.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

myDad posted:

Spine pain is def the worst

Checking in as a fellow spine pain dude. Let me tell you, thermal ablation procedure is a bitch.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 23, 2017

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Pleurisy loving sucks.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

When I was 11 I passed out after trying to pass a 11kg hunk of poo poo. My parents took me to the children's hospital to get a barium enema xray and all I heard afterwards is that I had an underdeveloped digestive system like those neglected kids from Nicolai Ceaucescu's regime's orphanages who were never touched. They tried giving me Metamucil but that just made them bigger. Eventually my parents would give me plastic knives so I could go to the bathroom without giving myself fissures.

Lawrence Gilchrist fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 23, 2017

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

Eventually my parents would give me plastic knives so I could go to the bathroom without giving myself fissures.

Hahah HOLY poo poo dude. That's loving brutal. Did it get any better for you??

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Honky Dong Country posted:

I saw a marine on TV once that'd been in combat say "A sucking chestwound is nature's way of saying 'slow down'" and I laughed my balls off.

Catching up to the thread and this also made me laugh my rear end off.

Surprisingly getting shot in the head initially doesn't hurt. It's when you wake up in the hospital the next day that gets ya when your face is incredibly swollen. Even with nerve damage and all the morphine in an IV bag the pain was still there.

What hurt the most was when they put in a feeding tube a few days afterward, while I was awake, with the tube going into my nose. Most of the damage was to my nasal cavity too. Imagine having an at best fractured nose that isn't a closed system anymore while they unceremoniously shove a plastic tube up there and down the back of your throat.

It got worse.

After a month of having the tube rub against the back of my throat the skin there was so irritated and raw the simple act of swallowing made me cry like a little girl. To keep the feeding tube in place they stitched it into my nose. When I complained to the doctor on call he came in and pulled on it, pulling out a few stitches. I should also mention my nose was still healing.

I guess my point is gently caress feeding tubes.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I've got 3 herniated discs in my back which is pretty bad and I had surgery to remove a piece of bone that was pinching a nerve in my back.

But I think when I had jaw surgery and had to have my jaw wired shut for 10 weeks was worse.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I've never experienced an intense sensation of pain. My life has been a smooth ride of comfort and invulnerability. Suck it proles

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
I had a catheter put in while fully conscious at the age of 4 while rainbow brite played in the background.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

When I was 11 I passed out after trying to pass a 11kg hunk of poo poo. My parents took me to the children's hospital to get a barium enema xray and all I heard afterwards is that I had an underdeveloped digestive system like those neglected kids from Nicolai Ceaucescu's regime's orphanages who were never touched. They tried giving me Metamucil but that just made them bigger. Eventually my parents would give me plastic knives so I could go to the bathroom without giving myself fissures.

Lol

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I fell off my bike and had to get stitches. It was alright until the wound got infected and I had to have the stitches removed and the wound scrubbed out with no local anesthetic for some weird reason.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

The runner-up for most painful was an in clinic hair removal procedure. The path of the bullet destroyed the roof of my mouth and they repaired it by doing a tibia graft. The roof of my mouth was replaced by bone, vessels, and skin from just above my right ankle. The doctors didn't tell me that the hair on that strip of skin would keep growing. For the next 6 years or so I had leg hair growing on the roof of my mouth.

Eventually it got bad enough that I asked if they could remove it. They couldn't use a laser since I couldn't open my mouth that wide and the laser itself was too big. In order to get rid of the hair they had to take a needle hooked up to electricity and stick it into the pores where the hair was and run an electric current to burn the root. They did this while my mouth was as wide open as it could go and I couldn't close it or move while they burned my mouth with electricity, without anaesthetic. That was my call since numbing hurts a lot and they couldn't numb the parts that hurt the worst.

I have a bunch of metal in the right side of my face that keeps it together. As the needle got closer to the right side the electricity would start jumping to the metal plate and spider webbing all over my face. I could feel my eye socket being electrocuted.

I had to do this once a month for about 18 months. They managed to get nearly all the hair though there a few stragglers they ouldn't get.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Got an infection in my left ball once. My family didn't believe my pain until a few days afterward when I basically dragged my dad into the bathroom and showed him a scrotum 3 times too large. I was 13 at the time I think and it was even more awkward because I had a female nurse rubbing my balls with ultrasound gel and sliding the sensor all over it. Looking back on it, I'm surprised I didn't get some kind of boner but thank god for the excruciating pain at the time lol.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Dude you are schizophrenic as gently caress and none of that happened

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000
Having a navy corpsman jam a q-tip down my urethra to get a swab. (UTI not an STD 👍🏻)

It's the only pain that nearly made me throw up.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

is this combination of bacteria typically found anywhere other than from breathing in chicken poo poo?

i don't want to reveal my own weakness here so i won't say which bone: but i have a bone in my body that random pops out and presses into the nerve that is wrapped around it. i have never considered surgery, and people look very upset when i gasp under my breath explaining 'it's fine i'm just..setting the bone back"

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe
My brother picked up one of those Fisher-Price plastic chairs and hit me in the toe with it when were like 5 and 6. It caused my toenail to eventually come off.
The other things that were close are similarly insignificant. I stepped on some kind of stinging animal, like a scorpion or something. And I was cutting popsicle sticks with scissors and I pinched my finger between the handles.

These hurt more than:
That time I got hit by a car, broke a collarbone and broke my arm in a whole bunch of places. I had to stay in the hospital for 6 days getting surgically put back together, then my parents' house for 8 days after that.
That time I flipped over the front of my bike and broke my wrist and tore my shoulder
The time I tripped on the stairs and landed nose-first on the top stair.

Adrenaline is a hell of a drug.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

subhuman filth posted:

Dude you are schizophrenic as gently caress and none of that happened

Whoa! :staredog:

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
i listened to 15 seconds of a lowtax and schmorky let's play

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

rezatahs posted:

i listened to 15 seconds of a lowtax and schmorky let's play

drat you probably schizo now. :tinfoil:

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

limp_cheese posted:

The runner-up for most painful was an in clinic hair removal procedure. The path of the bullet destroyed the roof of my mouth and they repaired it by doing a tibia graft. The roof of my mouth was replaced by bone, vessels, and skin from just above my right ankle. The doctors didn't tell me that the hair on that strip of skin would keep growing. For the next 6 years or so I had leg hair growing on the roof of my mouth.

Eventually it got bad enough that I asked if they could remove it. They couldn't use a laser since I couldn't open my mouth that wide and the laser itself was too big. In order to get rid of the hair they had to take a needle hooked up to electricity and stick it into the pores where the hair was and run an electric current to burn the root. They did this while my mouth was as wide open as it could go and I couldn't close it or move while they burned my mouth with electricity, without anaesthetic. That was my call since numbing hurts a lot and they couldn't numb the parts that hurt the worst.

I have a bunch of metal in the right side of my face that keeps it together. As the needle got closer to the right side the electricity would start jumping to the metal plate and spider webbing all over my face. I could feel my eye socket being electrocuted.

I had to do this once a month for about 18 months. They managed to get nearly all the hair though there a few stragglers they ouldn't get.

You poor bastard, that sounds horrendous :magical:

When I was younger I had to have my wisdom teeth removed. The dentist didn't give me enough anesthesia to numb me completely, and as soon as he started I was frozen with pain and couldn't move or speak. Ripped both of my lower teeth out of my head and I could feel all of it.

Another time I fell down some concrete stairs in elementary school and ended up breaking my wrist. Doctor told me they needed to give me an injection directly into the fracture to numb the pain, but being a stupid little kid who was too scared of needles, I asked them if they could do something else instead. They ended up giving me two Advil. The pain from them pushing the bone back into place was absolutely excruciating and helped me get over my fear of injections, because I'll be damned if I'm having something like that done without getting doped up properly first.

draculatreefores
Apr 2, 2012
Cluster headache. Feels like a bowling ball is being shoved through your eye socket. The whole experience is really disorienting too. I smashed a glass and tore a bunch of hair out of my head with my hand in the ER without realizing that I was doing it.

draculatreefores
Apr 2, 2012

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

Costochondritus was also pretty goddamn horrible but not nearly as bad. The only time it gave the back pain a run for its money is the first morning I had it when I had to get my daughter out of her crib. I got her out but I was tearing up and thought I was going to break my teeth by the time I had her. Immediately called my wife and told her she needed to come home immediately.

I had costochondritis really bad for two years. That poo poo is awful.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jastiger posted:

Vasectomy was bad when they first put the needle in my balls.

That's not how vasectomies work. Sorry about your fetish Dr.

E: I haven't had much pain, maybe falling on ice or cutting my nails too short.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead

Obligatory Toast posted:

I had a catheter put in while fully conscious at the age of 4 while rainbow brite played in the background.

This is called aversion therapy. Similar thing happened to me with orthodondists offices and soft rock stations.

draculatreefores posted:

Cluster headache. Feels like a bowling ball is being shoved through your eye socket. The whole experience is really disorienting too. I smashed a glass and tore a bunch of hair out of my head with my hand in the ER without realizing that I was doing it.
:same: but worse, probably. Mine are triggered by nothing very consistant, but weather changes most usually. They happen a couple times a month, or not at all sometimes. I can't loving predict them so keeping oxycodone close at hand has become very important. If I don't take medication when they start a slew of brain pain and dysfunction happens. Nausea/vomiting, convulsions, partial blindness, inability to remember phone numbers and stuff like that. Days at a time can be ruined. I've had other injuries, like loving up my knee bad enough to need surgery, been stung by bees and yellowjackets, bitten by dogs, cats, once a horse, been burned, road rashed, punched and kicked but nothing ever felt worse than the pain my own horrible brain has been inflicting repeatedly on me since I was 9.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Professor of Cats posted:

Hahah HOLY poo poo dude. That's loving brutal. Did it get any better for you??

I had a "growth spurt" of maybe 13 cm and everything got a lil better below the belt, as long as I have orthopedic cushions, a couple bottles of water and stuff like dexilant and/or propylene glycol, and avoid the obvious problem foods and pharmaceuticals. On the hottest week of the year, if I'm not careful I might pass a pile of fists but that hasn't happened in a couple years. I avoid sitting down for more than an hour at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

e: thought no lie and no exaggeration that I was going to die.

• Locked thread