Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Ah...

Ayako...Ayako...

Ah...

(There's something wrong with Ayako. I'd better talk to her...)

Ayako...? Ayako!

Madness

When the injury on Denemon's face started to heal, it looked just like...

That black butterfly

Denemon gave me this drug, and then he said...

I never cheated... But I just can't forget... him... I know he'll come for me one day... And then he'll rescue me from this mansion...

Ayako, you...

All I can do is wait...

Ayako starts to cry.

I wouldn't call that hidden.

Ayako, where are the tarot cards?

They must be somewhere in this room...

As you pick up each card, you get a hint to the location of the next card. This is less helpful on Easy mode, as the cursor (as normal) flashes when it's over a card.

HydroSphere fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What, we don't even get a puzzle to arrange the cards? They just go in?

Someone hasn't experienced survival horror.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The mysteries just gets more and more complicated. Count me in as another person who is enjoying how pointless everyone's struggles/plots have become after all the fortune has become worthless.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Denemon's Notes solution.

For this one, you need to check the lights in the Cotton Rose Room, Lily Room, and then finally, the Wine Cellar.

People:

Evidence:

Documents:

Denemon's diaries:

Confirmation that Denemon is related to Takashi somehow.

Ayako's diary:

Ihara's diary:

Katagiri's diary:

Black Butterfly:

Kazuya's Letter:

Denemon's Writings:

Journal:

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Video: Kazuya Nanase.

I don't see the resemblance.

Feeling...pain? Ha ha ha!

What's so...funny...?

I'm laughing 'cause I'm having fun!

You love... to watch people die...?

This situation

A couple of murders in this mansion... and the whole family goes to pieces! Ha ha ha!

This stupid mansion

So you've been hiding... in this hidden room... all along, huh?

Denemon put me in here. Denemon brought me into this mansion. And he only told that vacant Ayako about me.

Denemon

You call your own father...a fool...?

Yeah, all people who let me fool them are fools!

Both Takashi and Kazuya spend this whole conversation vaguely waving their arms about.

I've never had as much fun as I did that night!

The victims were all confused and running around in a panic. I used that as a cover, and killed a whole bunch of them myself! Heh heh!

You killed a whole bunch of people...?!

Yeah, a whole bunch... I dunno, scores of people... They were all scared of the earthquake, and running around...

Just shut up! What kind of monster...are you?!

That's what Denemon said, too...

His son

Denemon knew I had this mark when I was kidnapped. Man, I bet he was glad to see me go! That's why he never really tried to find me.

I bet he was hoping I'd die by the roadside somewhere and just disappear from the face of the earth!

In his way, Kazuya is a victim as well. Denemon chose death over murderous insanity, but Kazuya was denied any kind of choice.

But unfortunately for him, I didn't die.

Mark

The mark on your hand...?

That's right. This butterfly mark tied me and Denemon together once again!

Butterfly mark...?

There are two words we can ask Kazuya about here; whichever one we ask about will determine the ending we get.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo, oh my god. Uh..... Ask about love?

I wonder why he loves killing so much? Is he just plain a villain? Are butterflies just secretly all murderous assholes and we never noticed?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Seems like he's just nuts.

Looking back, this is not the direction I expected the mystery to go. I think I had an inkling about multiple murderers and Hideo killing Takako but I didn't see Kazuya being his own person. I figured we just quantum leaped into his body.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, this is... not where I expected this to go. "Surprise, a hidden crazed murderer!" is certainly an easy way out of a lot of plot holes but it's not really that satisfying. Of course a crazy guy can just keep doin' crazy things because he's so crazy.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Does anyone else want to make a guess at what we should ask Kazuya? :)

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
We have complete faith in Let's Play poster EagerSleeper.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
Just binge read this whole thing and man it sure got wild suddenly. I wonder if Ayako's listening to all this from downstairs.

Seconding the vote to ask about the person he loves, cause I'm really curious as to who that's supposed to apply to in Kazuya's case if he's such a craaaazy serial killer.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Love

Don't you love anybody...?

You might remember, Marie actually saw Kazuya just before he killed Takako, but she thought Kazuya was a demon that had taken on Takashi's shape due to the terrible look in Kazuya's eyes – he left Marie alone in favour of killing Takako.

Love?!

Sounds like a too vehement a denial.

Video: A fatal question.

Video: Credits.

That could probably have gone better...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
There may not be a thing called love in your life, but brother, is there ever a thing called madness.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Madness

Yeah, the fool...

You think being afraid of going mad...is foolish...?

And then he lived his whole life after that, always afraid he was going to suddenly go mad just like his father.

Denemon

You're wrong... Denemon wasn't afraid of you. He was afraid of his own destiny, and he cursed it. Denemon was deeply saddened by his own destiny. And so, in order to change that ill-fated destiny he faced... he called you here to this mansion. But you knew what he had planned...

And I made it so my beloved father... wouldn't have to shiver and tremble at his own cursed destiny anymore! I helped him out, in fact.

I don't have any demon whispering in my ear telling me to kill... I am the demon!

Between Kazuya being abandoned and left to go insane, and the implication that Kazuya is still capable of feeling some type of love even now, there really was a lot of wasted potential for him.

Video: The cycle begins anew.

Video: Credits.

Well, that wasn't really much of a better ending.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...really, I wouldn't put it past the game for that to be the whole of it. The end, please fund our sequel!

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Wait...at first I thought Kazuya killed Takashi and took his place but if that was true he wouldn't know about Emi. So did Takashi just inherit the madness curse for reasons in that end?

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Hypocrisy posted:

Wait...at first I thought Kazuya killed Takashi and took his place but if that was true he wouldn't know about Emi. So did Takashi just inherit the madness curse for reasons in that end?

Kazuya and Takashi are blood related in someway (possibly grandfather and grandson, given that Kazuya's first victim should have been the person he loved the most), so maybe it's a bloodline curse?

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

So, there are four endings in Glass Rose, and three factors that decide which ending you get.

One of the deciding factors in the ending you get is whether you ask Kazuya about Love or Madness; asking about Love, regardless of your previous actions, will always result in Kazuya killing Takashi.

Another factor in the ending you get is the final suspence event on the balcony:

Picking "Do Nothing", or "Counterattack" (as we did) results in Takashi freezing just as Kazuya is about to stab him, only to later realise that he is alone on the balcony - the first sign of Takashi's own impending insanity.

If we had selected "Dodge Quickly", we would have gotten another scene:

Evasion.

The third factor in the ending is the number of heart fragments you collect during the game. If you don't pick up enough fragments, you get this ending:

Alone.

Picking up enough fragments, choosing "Dodge Quickly" and asking Kazuya about Madness gets you the best ending:

Reunited.

Still not the happiest ending; Takashi and Emi might get back to their own time, but:

Ihara never got revenge for his wife.

Kikuyo is living in the past, and has only just started to realise what that has cost her.

Matsunosuke is basically homeless.

New World Cinema is more or less dead, which means that Kaidou, Mizuho and Kiyohiko may soon be left without any means of income.

Youko and Hideya have to live with the knowledge that Hideo is a murderer.

Mizuho has to live knowing that her idol was a blackmailer.

Takashi may have escaped the butterfly curse for now, but as we know from Denemon, the butterfly can appear in adulthood, and even if Takashi has managed to completely evade the curse, what of any children he may have in the future?

Katagiri... there are two things worth noting when Emi first meets Takashi; firstly that the Cinema Mansion murders remain unsolved in 2003, and secondly, Emi inherited the notebook (the notebook that Takashi writes all his notes in) from Katagiri when Katagiri died. While Katagiri never worked out whom exactly Takashi was, there was enough in the notebook for Katagiri to realise Takashi had travelled in time. In order to preserve the future, and Emi's very existence, Katagiri was forced to hide the truth of the Cinema Mansion murders, and live out the rest of his days, always knowing that there was a possibility that Ayako could be saved, but at a cost he would not pay.

And with that, the LP is complete! Thanks to everyone who read it, especially those that have stuck with this LP since the beginning. :)

HydroSphere fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 17, 2018

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, yeah. This mansion thing was always going to be something of a tragedy. "Thanks everyone for showing up for my will. Unfortunately all my material wealth is in stocks, which are currently greatly depressed. But hey, if you want some worthless paper, go on and take some." And before then, you know, everybody's life got broken by the butterfly. It wasn't a good scene. The best we can hope is to get away?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You can definitely tell it was Cing's first outing because yeesh is this game rough, the whole conclusion in general is weak as hell and the cast is way too big and barely develops, Hotel Dusk this ain't. Thanks for doing this LP though, I enjoyed experiencing it.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Those cut scenes had some really severe cuts. I suppose it was to let them fall under a certain age rating.

Lots of interesting ideas in the game, even if it wasn't executed in the best way. Thanks for the LP!

• Locked thread