Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Pictured: The 2017 Annual Grouping of People With As Many Wins Over Manny Pacquiao As The Guy Next To Him Convention

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Jeff Horn won.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Evidence that Manny Pacquiao won:

- Lost to Floyd 'Pretty Floyd' Mayweather
- A lot of Fillipino people cried

Evidence that Jeff Horn won:

- Did not lose to Floyd 'Moneyboy' Floydweather
- All of the judges correctly assigned him winning scores

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

a great picture of THE CHAMP

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

to become a legend... you haveta defeat a legend

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
http://boxrec.com/person/410903

117-111 guy who is going to be looked over with a fine tooth comb

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Holy loving poo poo. If that image is real then...

...all three judges scored the fight for Horn. Holy gently caress. If only people knew about this.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
What an overreaction by ESPN. Clearly lashing out when their guy who was supposed to win didn't.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Maybe Pacquiao just wasn't as good as Horn

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Lid posted:

http://boxrec.com/person/410903

117-111 guy who is going to be looked over with a fine tooth comb

He ought to be looked over with a rough tooth comb

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I thought Pacquiao won. Horn looked good and kept it competitive thru shear toughness, but Pacquia looked like the better, more effective fighter for most of the fight.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=votXn0nl1wY&t=20s

When bae texts back

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Recoome posted:

Maybe Pacquiao just wasn't as good as Horn

he is really old

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Horn's two best shots were headbutts lol

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Horn's best shots were the numerous uncontested punches he landed on an old, crying man who couldn't remember where he was except for in round 9.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Now we go to Manny Pacquiao's move of the fight, a close up shot of Manny Paciquao crying on the stool and calling a gay kid a 'godless fag'.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
No more judges. Put `em in the ring and don't let them out again until the ref stops it.

And then, no more refs either. Also make the ring a pit and throw down weapons.

I've always wondered if things would be better if instead of athletic commission judges appointed by the state or whatever if instead there was a system for each camp to nominate and approve 3 judges from ~the boxing community. They wouldn't be incorruptible but I'd hope for better results from some public figure tied to boxing.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 2, 2017

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Horn has achieved an incredible feat in beating one of the best fighters of our generation. He's now up there with legends like Timothy Bradley.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Dan Didio posted:

Now we go to Manny Pacquiao's move of the fight, a close up shot of Manny Paciquao crying on the stool and calling a gay kid a 'godless fag'.

Sorry he called you that

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Not a single 10-8 for Pac in the ninth round, lol.

Maybe the judges were MMA guys who forget that 10-8's exist.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

attackmole posted:

Maybe the judges were MMA guys
Makes sense, they would have scored Horn's elbows and headbutts and that could maybe swing a round or I guess 5 if you're the 117 Horn judge

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

There is an incredible amount of saltiness about the decision.

Like it was unanimous and Manny wasn't really that convincing (lot of tying up) so sorry your dude lost but

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

Recoome posted:

Like it was unanimous and Manny wasn't really that convincing (lot of tying up) so sorry your dude lost but

i think most people are just bewildered. most people i overheard at the bar were saying manny was winning/beating up horn, including guys that wanted horn to win. after the decision they completely changed their tone/story and said horn was winning the whole time so yeah.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

Sorry he called you that

Thank you.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Recoome posted:

/

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Recoome posted:

If we give Horn that win we should give Maidana the win in the first Floyd fight.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Look i don't really care about the other fights but i can say, for certain, that Horn won this particular fight against Apollo Creed

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

tesilential posted:

If we give Horn that win we should give Maidana the win in the first Floyd fight.

I did :shrug:

I have not great recollection of the fight tho so idfk

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

australians are bad at, and for, boxing

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I do like that the guy who did the 117 score isn't even an Australian or whatever. Pac just lost because it turns out god likes fags and hates Filipinos.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Recoome posted:

lol nobody gives a gently caress about manny you retarded homer

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I'm glad Manny decided to stick around long enough to really tarnish his legacy and save future me from countless arguments about whether he was better than Floyd.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

tesilential posted:

I can get behind this

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

The fix was in to get idiots thinking anything can happen and put money on McGregor. That said, the fix was Manny doing just little enough to lose. Rounds 3-8 were close, and a judge will score what they like. There were at least 2 clear horn rounds outside of them. This was a fix fight with a hefty under the table payday to Pac to set up the money on Floyd

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

tesilential posted:

This would have been great so yeah, I'm in.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

big money big clit posted:

I'm glad Manny decided to stick around long enough to really tarnish his legacy and save future me from countless arguments about whether he was better than Floyd.

pacquiao is a self admitted cheat so his legacy wouldn't match up regardless

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

big trivia FAIL posted:

The fix was in to get idiots thinking anything can happen and put money on McGregor. That said, the fix was Manny doing just little enough to lose. Rounds 3-8 were close, and a judge will score what they like. There were at least 2 clear horn rounds outside of them. This was a fix fight with a hefty under the table payday to Pac to set up the money on Floyd

boxing is in no way as connected as you think it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Back on ESPN tonight at 10/9 featuring certainly a boxer with a fraction of Pacquiao's name value but who-after only 9 pro bouts- is perhaps the number 1 pound for pound fighter in the sport

Vasyl Lomachenko

Considered by some to be the best amateur boxer of all time, 2008 featherweight and 2012 lightweight gold medalist Lomacheko boasts an almost mythic 396-1 record with that one loss having been avenged. When he turned pro in 2013 he signed with Top Rank with an unusual demand in the era of marination , a title shot as soon as possible. When that shot in his second fight came, against the rugged veteran Orlando Salido, it seemed as if this was dictionary definition of a Monkey's Paw wish. Salido came in several pounds over the 126 pound limit and took advantage of notoriously atrocious referee Laurence Cole to augment his skill advantage by peppering Lomachenko with an inordinate number of (uncalled) low blows. Despite this Lomachenko stayed competitive throughout and nearly earned a stoppage in the 12 round but ended up losing a decision. With Salido missing weight he was immediately eligible to compete for the vacant belt in his next fight against Gary Russell Jr. who, despite a 24-0 record, was often referred to as "Mr. TBA" for the poor quality of his opposition. Lomachenko became a revelation as he danced around the fast-handed Russell to a, dubious if only for a stray draw card turned in by Lisa Giampa, decision and a world title in his third professional fight. After 3 poor mandatory challengers-even if one was on the Mayweather-Pacquiao undercard-he moved up to the 130 pound division to overwhelm and knocked out junior lightweight fixture Rock Martinez. He would follow that up with a surprising domination of undefeated knockout artist Nicholas Walters, humiliating him so thoroughly that Walters' trainer halted the bout after 7 rounds with "no mas" . That same preternatural footwork and movement were on display in his fight against the game if not spectacular Jason Sosa but Lomachenko has begun to add something of a showmanship to his craft as well which should play well with the expanded audience in addition to his otherworldly skill.

With a win over Marriaga, Lomachenko's best path forward would likely be to fight outside of division. He would be a heavy favorite against any of the other belt holders in his division (Miguel Berchelt, Jezreel Corrales and Gervonta Davis though there are business issues with the Floyd Mayweather promoted Davis which make that bout politically difficult) but his most intirguing matchups lie either a two weight classes below in fellow time gold medalist Guilermo Rigondeaux or two above with the undefeated Mikey Garcia.

Miguel Marriaga

Marriaga was an undefeated but largely unknown competitor in the super featherweight division when he took on Nicholas Walters in June 2015-at the time thought of as a potential monster in the weight class-fighting in the Unted States for only the second time. Though he lost a decision by lasting the distance he proved that he is more than just a regional fighter which he demonstrated again in a loss this April to top undefeated prospect Oscar Valdez, again pushing the favored fighter to the limit but ultimately coming up short. While proven to be someone who is not just showing up to collect a check and survive it certainly seems that he will struggle to do anything more than that if Lomachenko is able to establish his ring generalship which is the most likely outcome.

Undercard

The undercard will feature veteran lightweights Ray Beltran and Brian Vasquez with the emphasis on the Mexican Beltran. Beltran was largely considered a journeyman until he burst onto radars in 2012 not due to a fight but by joining Freddie Roach's Wild Card gym and eventually becoming Manny Pacquiao's primary sparring partner. After unsuccessful title challenges against Terence Crawford and Ricky Burns, where he dominated and robbed respectively, a 2015 positive test for stanozolol was a self-inflcted wound which kept him out of action for more than a year but has since bounced back with (ostenstibly clean) knockouts of prospects Mason Menard and Johnathan Maicelo. Perhaps the most interesting thing about Beltran in this fight is that he could be effectively fighting to have his family stay in the United States. His work visa is set to expire soon and it's largely believed that if he wins against Vasquez tonight-which would put him again in position to challenge for a world title-he would nearly be guaranteed to obtain a green card.

EDIT: Top Rank Knockout (the name for the ring card girls for these events) tax

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 5, 2017

• Locked thread