Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
So my career progression stalled out at "Full complement" it won't acknowledge that I've fully researched a T1 ship, anyone else have this problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Fully researching a ship also includes researching (with ship xp) the ships in the next tier it unlocks, so have you researched the tier 2 ship(s) at the very bottom of the tech tree as well? You don't have to buy them with credits but you do need to research them.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Nope. It said to research a T1 ship so I did. Didn't realize I'd have to research t2 as well

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

It's a little unwieldy, but yeah. Fully researching a ship also includes initial research of the next tier down. Just look at the tech tree page for your ship of choice and make sure everything is researched no matter what it is, then it should progress.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Zernach posted:

Got the Akula corvette and god drat I hate it after playing it. It has the worst combination of high speed but bad turning resulting in so many collisons with terrain. The second is the guns, they are giant shotguns so first I was excited but then I got into the match and was immediately dissapointed. They loving arc and and shoot slow to boot. All that just leaves you as a really lovely rear end destroyer.

If you can miss with the AV corvette guns then you aren't close enough to do appreciable damage anyway.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Save your spacebux!!

Things start to get pricey at t3 but at t4 the grind is loving real. 100000 to buy the ship and modules at that stage average 20k+.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Can we get a mention in the OP that if someone's going to send us a friend request to post here in the thread too? I want to make sure I'm rejecting pubbies who invite everyone after a match and not Goons.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

That was fun.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012

signalnoise posted:

If you can miss with the AV corvette guns then you aren't close enough to do appreciable damage anyway.
I know to shoot them inside the 1200m optimum range, but the arcing shells just feel an unnecessary hurdle to add to an already cumbersome ship.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
This game is fun but I am loving godawful at it. I'm lucky to get 2 or 3 kills. I've only got tier 2 ships but every ship I've tried has just basically melted like wax as soon as someone so much as spits at me.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

HonorableTB posted:

This game is fun but I am loving godawful at it. I'm lucky to get 2 or 3 kills. I've only got tier 2 ships but every ship I've tried has just basically melted like wax as soon as someone so much as spits at me.

Hop on discord. I'm Blacktoll on that and in-game. Feel free to friend request.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Zernach posted:

I know to shoot them inside the 1200m optimum range, but the arcing shells just feel an unnecessary hurdle to add to an already cumbersome ship.

It's just another element to leading the shot really. Just remember that it happens when you aim your shot. It's a small price to pay for the assassination power and durability.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
I'm really hooked on this game. Loving the feeling of piloting the different classes of ships around with their own handling, etc.

It reminds me of Nexus: The Jupiter Incident. This got me thinking about how great it would be for Dreadnought to have a SP (or even co-operative) story mode. I hope that's something they'll eventually do

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Played this in Alpha, looks and feels good in beta now. Glad that everyone isn't playing on artillery, seems like everyone is all up for Destroyers/Corvettes/etc.

Siege Mode owns bones.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
In on ps4 as danielson_9. Isn't really click with the destroyer or siege ships, but then went 12-0 in a game with 2 tac cruisers healing me while I went gangbusters in a dreadnought

Game is cool and gud

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Stringbean posted:

Played this in Alpha, looks and feels good in beta now. Glad that everyone isn't playing on artillery, seems like everyone is all up for Destroyers/Corvettes/etc.

Siege Mode owns bones.

I don't like siege mode just because it kills your energy and makes you immobile. However if you ARE gonna use it just make sure you're fairly safe and that you've killed your energy first by using all power to weapons for a couple shots beforehand.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I'm curious about how the xp that is awarded...is awarded. I got 13 kills and 3 deaths in one match, and the tax cruiser healing me got no kills but a ton of heal xp. Homeboy got 16k xp and I got a whopping 5k.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Game's pretty aight, but I have to admit to it making me appreciate the slower pace of Fractured Space more and more. Plus I am not a fan of the branching tree of ships, a la World of X games that they've taken on.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Yeah, Fractured Space crushes this game with the f2p model. Getting one T4 in this took just over 100 games and none of the ships beneath it can even compete, skill being equal, while the starter ship in FS is just as competetive as anything else.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'm curious about how the xp that is awarded...is awarded. I got 13 kills and 3 deaths in one match, and the tax cruiser healing me got no kills but a ton of heal xp. Homeboy got 16k xp and I got a whopping 5k.

There are a ton of factors.

First is individual score
Rank on your team seems to also be a factor
Whether you won or lost
Whether you had a First Win of the Day bonus
Whether you had a Battle Bonus available (Veteran fleet +)

I can attest, that you can earn a shitlot of XP by healing blobs in veteran.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

Zigmidge posted:

Yeah, Fractured Space crushes this game with the f2p model. Getting one T4 in this took just over 100 games and none of the ships beneath it can even compete, skill being equal, while the starter ship in FS is just as competetive as anything else.

Not only that but I feel that the FS ships just can have more character. You've got ones that can harpoon somone and drag them into shotgun range, or ones that manipulate gravity to set up for a giant bomb they can deploy. like the WoX games, the ships in this can feel a little flat.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

The module variety at T4 actually can give as much variety as FS but el oh el I'm looking at another 100 games just to outfit my T4 with the ones I want so it might as well not even exist for most people that will play this game.

Nevermind that the game wants you to split working on your T4 with the fifteen T3s you have to spend time on. Heaven forbid I work on a second T4 ship. Ugh, just writing this post makes me want to stop playing.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Kokoro Wish posted:

Not only that but I feel that the FS ships just can have more character. You've got ones that can harpoon somone and drag them into shotgun range, or ones that manipulate gravity to set up for a giant bomb they can deploy. like the WoX games, the ships in this can feel a little flat.

The biggest problem in this game is that the customizability and sweet module/orders combos don't show up until T4, which takes a long loving time to reach.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I'm gonna look into Fractured Space when I get home now. Because I like Dreadnought but is FS is simply better...

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'm gonna look into Fractured Space when I get home now. Because I like Dreadnought but is FS is simply better...

It's good, but it's not the same feel.

I played some FS, but it didn't grip me the way Dreadnought has. It's also F2P and is more established while Dreadnought is still heavily in beta. There's just a lot still missing from the interface in this game.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

Glenn Quebec posted:

It's not necessarily better, but it's a different flavour. The combat is more methodical. Ships are like, say, a character in a MOBA. They have their powers and ways in which they play. You can alter them slightly with some unlocks.

The harpooning ship I mentioned before, you can change the guns to fire in a shotgun burst with a long reload that's a bit lovely for ranged skirmishing, or as a sustained fire, lighter damage weapon that can allow you to mid-range skirmish pretty well. Either way, you'll still be reeling in people to deal with them at close range, the unlocks just alter a ship's options slightly.

You crew of five command staff is a thing and each come with individual bonuses to how a ship handles, which can be boosted with implants for each crewman.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 14, 2017

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Tbh that all sounds pretty badass.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

They're way way wayyy different games. I'm only comparing them on their f2p model. I easily have fun spending some time with both games because they offer to scratch different itches.

I just wish vertical growth RPGs would die already.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I think both have merits but hands down FS has a far, far better f2p model than dreadnought. I put money into FS and didn't have to, I'm almost certainly never putting a cent into Dreadnought. The tier system is just too player hostile.

In part, I think the grind is intentional to disguise how extremely shallow the Dreadnought ship pool is. Different modules are neat, and some of the manufacturer differences are pretty important, but at the end of the day you have five ship archetypes. Sure, the differences are there, like the one-shot artillery cruiser versus the semiauto artillery cruiser, but at the end of the day you're flying an artillery cruiser.

And it's frustrating, because Dreadnought does so much right. The coordination you get when you've got good healers and some dreads/destroyers doing coordinated fire is fantastic as hell, everything has a really satisfying visceral sense in Dreadnought, the level design and variety is significantly better and more fun to engage with, but when even pay real money elite status doesn't reduce the grind enough ... yikes.

Zigmidge posted:

while the starter ship in FS is just as competetive as anything else.

and this is totally true. The FS starter is a viable candidate your entire time in the game and is probably the best balanced ship in the game. The starters in Dreadnought serve no purpose other than to prevent my rookie fleet from being matched into the veteran queue. I prefer the system where unlocking a new ship raises the total number you can fly in a match instead of lowering it, just on general principle.

Psion fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 14, 2017

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

So, other than level design FS is the game time play. Gotcha.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I think both are worth playing, I really do. I don't want to derail the Dreadnought thread into FS chat, but yes I think FS is worth trying out, for sure. But so is the game we're also thereotically here to discuss :v:

Dreadnought's core gameplay is something I find pretty drat satisfying, it's just the amount of time (and/or money) they want to extract out of me to get into it is not. When it goes right and I get to pound some enemy apart after positioning and using my modules/energy system to get into optimal range and just letting them have it? Yesssss.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Yeah I played a lot of it this weekend and haven't bothered customizing anything so far because the tech trees are utterly lackluster.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Yeah I wanted to play some of the destroyer line of I think House Oberon, only to find that they've only got 2 of them and they're high tier. To get there I had to work through a bunch of vessels I honestly have no interest in. It was pretty discouraging.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Don't see why this couldn't also be FS chat. There isn't any other space mobas that I'm aware of.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Glenn Quebec posted:

Don't see why this couldn't also be FS chat. There isn't any other space mobas that I'm aware of.

Is there not a Fractured Space thread?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I've played both FS and this. At first I was for Dreadnaught when it came out in alpha because it's more visceral and cinematic, it feels like you're actually controlling a ship. Whereas Fractured Space feels more like a boat MOBA where you poke and prod until someone slips up in position.

But Dreadnaught hasn't changed much since alpha, while FS has. This suggests the D team is too small/inefficient/slow at reiterating and improving content so they introduced the vertical progression system that everyone absolutely hates.

Now I dislike both games.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

"Send the Vultures" is my second favorite part of flying dreadnoughts, it's true

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
The amount of nautical movie bridge commands flying through my head when I'm playing this game is 90% of the reason I fire it up.

MRW I crest the hill and see the enemy blob

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

I'm H4ppyKitty//2475

Can I get some friends up in here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Apparently the player base has only just been able to play t5 matches after over seven months of their t5 ships sitting in their hangars uselessly.
T5 matches also pull down over 25k for a good round, which makes me shudder to think how sodding pricey the modules are.

I really do prefer the visceral feel and visuals of this game over Fractured Space, which I do also enjoy, but goddamn this grind.

• Locked thread