Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

Calax posted:

(seriously, when I was in boot, sex was only between a man and his wife, who was over the age of 12, and only in the missionary position... as was written in your training literature).

Ah the UCMJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I can't come up with titles to save my life, sorry.

The majority of this video is going to be space stuff. The next few videos for Infinite Warfare are also space stuff. Like I've mentioned before, Infinity Ward padded out the game length by putting in a bunch of optional missions and most of them have you spending a lot of time in very samey looking corridors and having dogfights. The back half of our moon mission plays out more like one of those stages than it does the majority of the story missions. We have a dogfight, go off and do some space walking and then do a big sequence in a ship before flying away. This isn't a complaint. One of the major parts of the CoD franchise is that it is built for a hyperactive kid, you are almost never doing the same thing for more than a few minutes at a stretch. This is about as much variation as you can get in IW, the fighter combat plays differently than the space walk which plays differently from the boots-on-the-ground stuff from the last part of the level. And the big thing is that it moves between these points pretty seamlessly when it wants to.

If anything, that is the main triumph of IW, it can go from one major back-of-the-box feature to the next in an instant and still feel like a coherent mission/area. Granted, that is partially because they are throwing stealth loading screens at you by sending you from one thing to the next through boosting into space or taking off from a hanger or ship, but it is all well thought out enough you don't dwell on it. Star Citizen, the ongoing dumpster fire of a tech demo, has promised this kind of free flowing transition from gameplay style to gameplay style for a few years now without much to show for it outside of a couple modules that show the different ideas, but nothing tying them together cohesively. I mention this because there was a time where for some bizarre reason people thought Star Citizen could produce something better than what we see at the end of the level without the stealth loading screens and make it multiplayer. IW clearly went the more traditional route and it paid off for them, but it's kind of fun to think that at one point there were people who were trashing IW simply because Star Citizen was going to do it better by the end of the year.

I finally got around to replacing Titanfall 2 Episode 4 if anyone still cares.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Was that Claudia Black at the end there? That woman is everywhere :psyduck:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
A small detail I love about the ships you get into on this mission is how fat they are :3:
Don't need wings for orbital, just the RCS and the booster on your rear end, but it still looks aerodynamic enough to re-enter and land.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

I can't come up with titles to save my life, sorry.

I'd like to believe you were thinking of me when you named this one and that title's a pun :allears:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

nine-gear crow posted:

I'd like to believe you were thinking of me when you named this one and that title's a pun :allears:

Yeah, I was more or less stumped on a title and started rewatching the video and got Ace Combat vibes during the fighter stuff due to being close to the ground for once and thought the name worked on multiple levels. I blame you for the title, really.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

If the LP has made you want to play Titanfall 2 yourself it is currently $20 on Origin.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

In full honesty this segment of the game is what made me go from thinking it was a pretty good game to thinking it was one of the better FPS campaigns of 2017. I've never had a game mess with my sense of up and down quite like this unless it's a significant part of the game. Think the original Prey where you would go from walking on the floor to gravity shifting and you being on the wall pretty frequently, or space combat games where you can rotate your ship freely to change your perspective. Instead of making those types of perspective shifts a common part of the game TF2 basically says "Ok, now on to the next thing" like it wasn't one of the coolest tricks they pulled in the entire game. I think some of that is a vestige of the CoD development cycles. CoD, for all the flaws the series has, is really good at changing what you are doing with some frequency, even in long missions. I think the major difference is that TF2 will take a single gimmick or concept for a level and stretch it out far longer while still keeping it fresh and interesting. The time travel button later in the game is a great example, you use it for something close to 20 minutes and there's an increasing frequency of use and minor puzzle elements that get more complex as time goes on, but you never get tired of it. This brings up another point: the single player in TF2 is incredibly well paced. IW loses its way because of the side missions (in my opinion) but TF2 being a more traditional FPS single player campaign, can more or less know how long you'll spend doing something and can throw new weapons, enemies or gimmicks at you just in time to keep you from feeling like you've done it all or are rehashing previous experiences.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 18, 2017

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Normally the ghost runner is pretty good but I found that the alternative path avaiable is a bit more natural to use when getting to the training dome.
Also you could've ended the fight even faster if you had melee'd the boss when you put her in the doomed state. :v:
For those curious, this is the animation that plays if Ash is executed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sXTpqE4SZg

radintorov fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 17, 2017

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Speaking of those executions, I wish this would happen during one of the intros:

Like why would you ever go out of your mech when the enemy can just shoot your rear end :v:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Nalesh posted:

Speaking of those executions, I wish this would happen during one of the intros:

Like why would you ever go out of your mech when the enemy can just shoot your rear end :v:

So you can do WWF style taunts before the fight. Duh.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Nalesh posted:

Isn't that from the episode where his mech just got finished being repaired, and as he was deploying he walked right past the weapons rack and grabbed the gigantic "used to re-attach mech limbs" torque wrench instead while the mechanic just screamed at him?

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Used to play COD on the 360 with goons a few years ago, watching these videos makes me miss it.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Kurieg posted:

Isn't that from the episode where his mech just got finished being repaired, and as he was deploying he walked right past the weapons rack and grabbed the gigantic "used to re-attach mech limbs" torque wrench instead while the mechanic just screamed at him?

It's a solid, heavy thing on a stick, it's a weapon :v:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Dang yo, that residential thing at the start was mind-bending. And yet so simple.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Samovar posted:

Dang yo, that residential thing at the start was mind-bending. And yet so simple.

Oh sweet summer child, just you wait.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Nalesh posted:

Oh sweet summer child, just you wait.

Oh jesus christ I spoiled part of the game already, have to go back and scrub some stuff from my posts.

Because things are moving at a slower rate my usual safety buffer of two episodes more than I need in a week is making me forget some stuff I played the day I put a video up is not the stuff in that video. I was wondering why no one was calling me out on a couple mistakes I made yet.

Now's probably a good time to mention that because there is far more to IW than TF2 I'm going to go all IW tomorrow and next week. Don't worry, it's side missions, so you can take a week off from the thread if you are here for just TF2 or just IW story. Though I have to say the thing coming tomorrow is pretty neat and fun.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

radintorov posted:

Normally the ghost runner is pretty good but I found that the alternative path avaiable is a bit more natural to use when getting to the training dome.
Also you could've ended the fight even faster if you had melee'd the boss when you put her in the doomed state. :v:
For those curious, this is the animation that plays if Ash is executed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sXTpqE4SZg

This is also the execution that Monarch (a Titan built from the IMC reverse-engineering Vanguards) uses in multiplayer.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Lazyfire posted:

I was wondering why no one was calling me out on a couple mistakes I made yet.

The mark of a true LP master.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

nine-gear crow posted:

just for you, crow

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 18, 2017

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So now we start the side missions for Infinite Warfare. They come in three major varieties. The first we see here: it's more or less a segment of a longer story mission that the developers couldn't figure how to fit into the main missions so it becomes a side mission. These are relatively rare and generally a bit longer than the other types. The second type is the Space Combat type of side mission where you fly around and shoot at enemy pilots and take on larger ships. These are fun but quickly become slightly boring once you down the enemy fighters as the larger ships are bullet sponges, but more on that later. These are the most common side mission by far. Finally, you get the missions that are sort of mixes of the two: you spend a bit of time in your space ship and a bit of time floating in space or fighting through a capital ship. I think there's maybe two of these in the game, though, meaning that there's a ton of space combat in the game if you want it.

A note about the side missions: they are totally unnecessary to finish the game. If you complete them, though, you start to accumulate a bunch of perks and abilities. Additionally, you can find new weapons in some of the levels and if you don't have them the game will mention it in the screen that tells you your percentage chance of beating the mission and how many HVTs are in the area. Oh, High Value Targets, those are still a thing. I should probably mention that. Remember when we killed that MMA fighter when we left the moon? well, there are Ace Pilots and high ranking SDF officers in both side missions and main missions, but the majority are in levels like this one. What do you get for killing them? Well, nothing really. You can see their bio on the board o'cards in your quarters, but that's about it. Taking them out is essentially required to finish the missions, meaning you have to kill them no matter what, it isn't like you can miss them and have them show up later in the game or something. Side missions also have zero impact on the story or anything like that. The game isn't building up the Retribution's level or anything as you finish these things up, so you can totally skip these and you just won't have the electro-knife and quickdraw or whatever the prize was for finishing whichever side mission you didn't complete. The game does throw quite a few of these at you and I'm taking them all on for completion's sake, so get ready for a lot of space battles and stabbing space Russians.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
Obviously you should all watch Lazyfire's videos first, because they're the main attraction, but I've gotten his blessing to do a showcase of another sort in regards to Titanfall 2. So without further ado, I present to you a thesis on how walls actually don't exist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lKThi5YKFs

If anyone's interested in these, I can definitely go back and show off the previous segments as well.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Does the source version titanfall 2 is on still have that exploit where you move -slightly- faster if your hitbox is hitting a wall? :v:

And slidehopping is something that's amazing even in multiplayer, starting the round with a stim then slide hopping to the enemy side before they realize you're there, and killing half their team from behind. Same with the corner laddering, it's actually easier than you'd think since you actually slide further than the actual wall a little bit(guessing quality of life to make jumping at the end of a wall feel easier)

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Aug 19, 2017

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

lol at some of that dialogue "regrettable if the war was over before we have our chance to shed foul earthborn blood!"

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Dr. Tough posted:

lol at some of that dialogue "regrettable if the war was over before we have our chance to shed foul earthborn blood!"

Cod storymodes are so loving cheesy, I love it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Lazyfire posted:

So now we start the side missions for Infinite Warfare. They come in three major varieties. The first we see here: it's more or less a segment of a longer story mission that the developers couldn't figure how to fit into the main missions so it becomes a side mission. These are relatively rare and generally a bit longer than the other types. The second type is the Space Combat type of side mission where you fly around and shoot at enemy pilots and take on larger ships. These are fun but quickly become slightly boring once you down the enemy fighters as the larger ships are bullet sponges, but more on that later. These are the most common side mission by far. Finally, you get the missions that are sort of mixes of the two: you spend a bit of time in your space ship and a bit of time floating in space or fighting through a capital ship. I think there's maybe two of these in the game, though, meaning that there's a ton of space combat in the game if you want it.

A note about the side missions: they are totally unnecessary to finish the game. If you complete them, though, you start to accumulate a bunch of perks and abilities. Additionally, you can find new weapons in some of the levels and if you don't have them the game will mention it in the screen that tells you your percentage chance of beating the mission and how many HVTs are in the area. Oh, High Value Targets, those are still a thing. I should probably mention that. Remember when we killed that MMA fighter when we left the moon? well, there are Ace Pilots and high ranking SDF officers in both side missions and main missions, but the majority are in levels like this one. What do you get for killing them? Well, nothing really. You can see their bio on the board o'cards in your quarters, but that's about it. Taking them out is essentially required to finish the missions, meaning you have to kill them no matter what, it isn't like you can miss them and have them show up later in the game or something. Side missions also have zero impact on the story or anything like that. The game isn't building up the Retribution's level or anything as you finish these things up, so you can totally skip these and you just won't have the electro-knife and quickdraw or whatever the prize was for finishing whichever side mission you didn't complete. The game does throw quite a few of these at you and I'm taking them all on for completion's sake, so get ready for a lot of space battles and stabbing space Russians.

The side missions are where you unlock most of the additional weapon times, I remember there's a SMG that I never got because it only has a chance to spawn from one enemy in one zero g mission but since it's a zero G mission it's entirely possible for you to kill him and the weapon to gracefully pirouette into orbit where you can't pick it up.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

Nalesh posted:

Does the source version titanfall 2 is on still have that exploit where you move -slightly- faster if your hitbox is hitting a wall? :v:

Unfortunately not, since if your hitbox is touching a wall, Cooper (or your mp character) will more than likely try to run on the wall. This isn't necessarily a bad thing since you get some of the best speed boosts for slide hops off of wall kicks.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Like Infinite Warfare is cool looking and all that but it kind of seems like it's parodying Call of Duty. Like it's in space and in the future and all that but people still talk in the same milspeak gibberish as all the other games, you have the same guns, the bad guys are still Russian ultranationalists, etc.. Like I'm not sure if this is all meant to be taken seriously or if this is some kind of subtle dig at Activision by the developer.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Pythonicus posted:

Obviously you should all watch Lazyfire's videos first, because they're the main attraction, but I've gotten his blessing to do a showcase of another sort in regards to Titanfall 2. So without further ado, I present to you a thesis on how walls actually don't exist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lKThi5YKFs

If anyone's interested in these, I can definitely go back and show off the previous segments as well.
I thought I was clever when I figured out how to bypass a section in a later level by creatively climbing, but this stuff is way above anything I could ever think up. :stare:
Which makes it really cool to see, so I hope you continue with these videos.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

radintorov posted:

I thought I was clever when I figured out how to bypass a section in a later level by creatively climbing, but this stuff is way above anything I could ever think up. :stare:
Which makes it really cool to see, so I hope you continue with these videos.

What's really insane is the poo poo you can pull off on multiplayer maps using the grappling hook or stim pack (which briefly makes you run at mach 1). I've never had to play against people who are able to do the things I've seen in some videos but I have to imagine it's pretty nightmarish to be able to defend against.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Not much to talk about here that I don't cover in the video as it is just shooting people with space cannons.

I did want to ask people watching both LPs which game seems to have better vehicle sections. I think TF2 has far more satisfying fights, personally, as they are sort of power fantasies at the stage of the game we are currently in. Boss fights are a bit more tricky, but if you watch the videos you notice that I can sort of just power through a lot of encounters, even those with enemy titans, by throwing down a crazy amount of bullets/fire/missiles. I mentioned it before, but I saw someone somewhere else say that TF2 titan segments were sort of like rewards for completing the "real" level as Cooper on foot and I don't think that is wrong for the most part, though they are sort of more generic than a lot of what we get as Cooper as a side effect of BT not being able to go everywhere and do the Advanced Movement stuff Cooper can.

The IW spaceship segments are also, pretty easy. You are just about invincible if you are tracking an enemy fighter and most of the big enemy ships will not be able to hit you while you pump shot after shot into them. I think the big flaw, and what makes the IW stuff a bit worse in my mind, is that most of the enemies are sort of bullet sponge-like. You'll see it in this video as I unload just about two overheat runs of the standard issue machine gun on an Ace pilot to take him down. I could have used missiles, but Ace pilots can pop flares just like me, and occasionally the flares will break your lock somehow. Really, at that point the only challenge is holding on to the lock on button long enough to down the guy, so like I said: not overly difficult. The game never throws a new wrinkle to the space fights either. Yes, there is one later mission where there are some atmospheric issues (that kill me) but that's really it. Meanwhile TF2 is giving you a bunch of different Titans to fight and a lot of new weapons to use. IW limits you to three of the primary and three heavy weapons for the whole game and your variety of enemy ships is really fighter-Ace Fighter and Destroyer-bigger destroyer in terms of things to fight and shoot. It makes TF2's Titan segments feel like they were a planned part of the game while the various SCAR/Jackal missions in IW feel like some poor interns were locked in Infinity Ward for a weekend and told to make side missions that use the assets the real developers had made for the main game. They aren't bad, they just feel like they were placed in last minute without any thought towards pacing.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Dr. Tough posted:

It's the kinda corny-rear end dialogue you'd expect from a Gundam show.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Regarding the scrap issue, IIRC metallurgy in zero-g yields metals that is more "pure" and refined to be of a higher quality, so maybe even recycled metal scrap in space is of better quality if they can space smelt it down and reforge it. Though it dows beg the question if they have the means to get to Pluto of all planets to get the material and get it back to Earth for use in rebuilding the fleet or something, you'd think they would have more accessible sources nearby.

That said I'm loving this game, there's something endearingly cheesy to this whole thing, despite how "serious" it tries to be. I can't help but feel like the developer was working on some other sci fi shooter franchise but halfway through got told to make it be a Call of Duty. There are some cool ideas here and with some tweaks to the campaign it could have been amazing.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

An important thing to remember about orbital scrap metal is that there's no degradation from air or water, so it's automatically a pretty decent quality.

And as the USS John S. McCain recently showed, not good having viewing angles from say, windows is a pretty bad idea :v:

Surprisingly several ships in the Gundam series actually solves this decently, during combat the bridge gets lowered into the ship, or has armored shutters pop over the windows, and they use cameras to spot stuff.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

VolticSurge posted:

It's the kinda corny-rear end dialogue you'd expect from a Gundam show.

This was also a major component to Nazi propaganda in the lead up to the second world war, as a way to guilt the younger men into serving their country. Having, regrettably, been too young to enlist and defend the fatherland during the Great War they now have a chance to make up for it. It's also a thing shithead glory hounds say right before they get their head blown off while having their wish granted.

Yes, the bad guys in this game are both evil space Communists and Nazis at the same time. They are also really vainglorious. That is how evil they are. I'm sure their leader (Adolf Stalin) will meet a gruesome but much deserved end.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I think the space battles for Infinite Warfare could have done better do borrow a little more from space sims, and not have you be solely responsible for taking down these big capital ships in your dinky fighter. Rather, have you use your fighter to blow up the smaller ships like you already do, and then take out something important on the big ships that lets a ship like the Retribution move in for the kill. It'd add to the spectacle and keep the fights from feeling tedious.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Yes, the bad guys in this game are both evil space Communists and Nazis at the same time. They are also really vainglorious. That is how evil they are. I'm sure their leader (Adolf Stalin) will meet a gruesome but much deserved end.
So, they're basically Zeon.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The last wanted guy was named Ivan Perez.

That's right, Russian and Hispanic. I'm surprised he didn't shout Allahu Ackbar over the comms to complete the xenophobic CoD badguy trifecta.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
TF2's definitely got better vehicle sections. It's more integrated into the whole game especially since you can get out of your Titan for some of those sections and fight dudes and enemy Titan's on the ground or you can just go ham in your killsuit.

paragon1 posted:

I think the space battles for Infinite Warfare could have done better do borrow a little more from space sims, and not have you be solely responsible for taking down these big capital ships in your dinky fighter. Rather, have you use your fighter to blow up the smaller ships like you already do, and then take out something important on the big ships that lets a ship like the Retribution move in for the kill. It'd add to the spectacle and keep the fights from feeling tedious.

That's essentially the problem with IW's space battles. It's a space sim for babies that has you do all the work and that work isn't very fun. Compared to say, Strike Suit Zero or Descent Freespace you're pretty important but you're not the only thing on the battlefield 90% of the time. Overall it's a step back from the ground battles where your allies can actually help stuff.

I mean, the core gameplay of 'shoot ship guns to not get shot down when shooting down enemy ship' isn't the problem since that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

To this date I still don't think there is space combat in a game that tops Freespace 2.

• Locked thread