Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

My Linux Rig posted:

Lol how did you manage to gently caress up a mag safe connector

tbf the first gen models, like the mbp, were littered with issues. i babied mine and it still melted the cable at the brick and shorted the supply. the replacement was smaller and still works so id say some of those were probably early models

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i skipped the tube model one because those are garbage designs for idiots and the only true magsafe is a weird rectangle sticking completely opposite the port not some streamlined bullshit that looks like a pencil (but not the pencil)

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

my fav connector is the adb connector because woz got all about it before leaving

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

SHV

BNC's big brother for when you need to power things that draw up to 5 amps at 5000 volts

I use them at work for connecting radiation detectors that in practice operate at not much more than a kilovolt and draw hundreds of microamps at most

SHV supercedes MHV which was rated for a lower current of 3 amps, but the main reason was not the current rating but the fact that MHV looked too much like BNC and could mate with it if you put a little force on it, which depending on what you're connecting together could be a pretty bad thing; also, the inner conductor on MHV makes contact before the grounded shield does which has the potential to make the case of the device being plugged in hot, which is also bad for obvious reasons

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 8, 2017

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

BattleMaster posted:

SHV

BNC's big brother for when you need to power things that draw up to 5 amps at 5000 volts

I use them at work for connecting radiation detectors that in practice operate at not much more than a kilovolt and draw hundreds of microamps at most

SHV supercedes MHV which was rated for a lower current of 3 amps, but the main reason was not the current rating but the fact that MHV looked too much like BNC and could mate with it if you put a little force on it, which depending on what you're connecting together could be a pretty bad thing; also, the inner conductor on MHV makes contact before the grounded shield does which has the potential to make the case of the device being plugged in hot, which is also bad for obvious reasons

this thing can handle pretty big loads :jackbud:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

BattleMaster posted:

I'm the photomultiplier you're powering. Hope you set the polarity right.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My Linux Rig posted:

Lol how did you manage to gently caress up a mag safe connector

basically every magsafe plug i've ever seen is either split and frayed right at the junction where a normal company would stick a strain relief, or starting down that path. my sister went through like four of them on her old macbook.

also we had a lab at the old school that had a bunch of g5s with apple pro mouses and half of them were suffering the cable-snaps-internally-right-at-the-junction mode of failure. they crap out after like a year of use on the dot.

iphone headphones do it too.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

:getin:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

oh HELL yes :flashfap:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

these dvi variants are getting a little out of hand

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
These won't disconnect from a little tug

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

holy poo poo!!!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
all sorts of different arinc connectors, too

my favorite is when the customer was complaining about the quality control of the connector and then it turns out the customers subsidiary were the ones manufacturing it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

*slightly bends some of the top pins*

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
jesus christ whatre you people doing to your magsafes. even my mom hasnt destroyed one yet and thats where computers go to die

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
my magsafe is also still going strong after over a year

maybe if you stopped putting them in your mouths and chewing on them like children they would last

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i never unplug my magsafe becase my macbook never leaves my desk :smug::fh:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's not clear what people are doing to their magsafes, but i've had the same properly strain-relieved thinkpad power adapter for the last four years of going in and out of my bag and bouncing around on the back of a motorcycle and it's still like new.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Stick Insect posted:

These won't disconnect from a little tug

out of here with your non-dellner couplings

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Dongslayer. posted:

jesus christ whatre you people doing to your magsafes. even my mom hasnt destroyed one yet and thats where computers go to die

seriously. mine is (afaik) the original one for my 2010 macbook, and it still works fine. you guys must really treat your belongings poorly if they end up like that

7 years and still going strong

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i love macs as much as the next guy but lol @ defending apple cables as durable or well designed to deal with normal stress

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Raluek posted:

seriously. mine is (afaik) the original one for my 2010 macbook, and it still works fine. you guys must really treat your belongings poorly if they end up like that

7 years and still going strong
in 2010 apple was still using using the round connector that went straight back from the computer

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ive had one charger cable fray at the magsafe connector and at least two lighting cables split open less than a year into owning them

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

my lightning cable split within months of getting it. i don't understand how, there was no stress on the loving thing

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

qirex posted:

in 2010 apple was still using using the round connector that went straight back from the computer

looks like you're right, the adapter is actually a year or two older than my machine. i got it secondhand so i guess it ended up mismatched at some point

mishaq posted:

i love macs as much as the next guy but lol @ defending apple cables as durable or well designed to deal with normal stress

they work fine for years and years if you dont abuse the poo poo out of them :shrug:

Raluek fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 9, 2017

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

they work fine for years and years if you dont abuse the poo poo out of them :shrug:

seriously

i've never had to replace an apple cable. pull them out by the plug instead of the cable, you apes.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
A good connector takes a beating and keeps on plugging. Connectors serve me, not the other way around, and if I want to throw them around carelessly I should be allowed to do that.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
it's me the caveman corner case that is totally divorced from reality and somehow deviates from the 95% wear models.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
“they don’t make stuff like they used to”

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

oo mama :heysexy:

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

camlok feeder cable.

will distribute power soaked in mud and trampled on by hippies.

make sure to plug green then white then the rest or else

foonykins fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 9, 2017

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
POS connectors: HVDC electric car charging connectors

Japan/Korea standard:

oh you can get an adapter to plug it into your Tesla though

Standard used by the rest of the world:

Jimmy Carter fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 9, 2017

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jimmy Carter posted:

POS connectors: HVDC electric car charging connectors

Japan/Korea standard:

oh you can get an adapter to plug it into your Tesla though

Standard used by the rest of the world:

gently caress the car charger and cum in it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you would probably be electrocuted

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

foonykins posted:

camlok feeder cable.

will distribute power soaked in mud and trampled on by hippies.

make sure to plug green then white then the rest or else

thanks for the image leech

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
:perfect:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

looks like someone saw a parts catalog and chose "all of the above"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
i need a connector based on pogo pins because I only know qa rigs, also do you have them shielded and high current rated and also they need to be unitized

and thus that was born

• Locked thread