Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

quote:

> SW

Rooftop
I’m on the south side of a group of buildings, with other roofs I could scramble onto east, west, and northeast. To the south, there’s a low wall and then a gap - an alleyway - before the next roof along. And that roof looks interesting: covered in machinery, though it’s hard to say for sure.

The low south wall is missing a few bricks creating a gap - well, I’ll call it a notch.

A large tarp is thrown over something in the middle of this space.

Something moves high above, and in a grey flash the Figure is before me. He nods once. “Relentless,” he remarks. “I admire your courage. Your persistence. You could almost be a machine.” I’m barely a foot away, and I still can’t see his face. Nothing but that sleek grey suit.

“But this is where I leave you.” He whips away the tarpaulin, to reveal an ornithopter - something I’ve only seen in lithographs before. Pausing only to wind the key beneath one of the craft’s gigantic wings, he leaps inside and in a moment, has taken to the sky! But the ornithopter is slow-moving: like a drifting leaf, drifting upwards...

> JUMP TO ORNITHOPTER
I can’t reach the ornithopter from where I am.

So, what now? There’s no way I’m letting him get away; I’m going to be in so much trouble after all I’ve done, I’ll need something to show for it. But I can’t fly either. There’s got to be a way. Something I can do. If the Universe is clockwork the way the Abbot says it is, then it can’t have left me stranded, can it?

> WATCH ORNITHOPTER
The ornithopter is still large in the sky. It moves like a slow, fat moth - with the Figure aboard!

Pausing here because this seems important and I'm not sure if you guys have any ideas on what we can do or if we should just keep wandering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
If we >JUMP SOUTH we'll get to all that interesting machinery, and there's bound to be a grappling hook in it somewhere.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

quote:

> SOUTH
It’s a twelve-foot gap. I can’t jump that!

> JUMP SOUTH

> WATCH ORNITHOPTER
The ornithopter is still large in the sky. It moves like a slow, fat moth - with the Figure aboard!

Any more ideas?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Try East and West

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Well I'm the type of guy who likes to roam around.

quote:

> E

Rooftop
This roof is surrounded on all sides by taller buildings, scalable to the west, and impossible every other way. There’s no roof at all to the southwest - the tiles look down on an alleyway - but beyond that is the glitter of machinery (but it’s too far to jump, I think).

By the alley is a squat iron chimney that’s belching out fat slugs of smoke. The kitchen down there must be getting ready for a feast!

So, what now? There’s no way I’m letting him get away; I’m going to be in so much trouble after all I’ve done, I’ll need something to show for it. But I can’t fly either. There’s got to be a way. Something I can do. If the Universe is clockwork the way the Abbot says it is, then it can’t have left me stranded, can it?

> EXAMINE CHIMNEY
A narrow iron chimney. Smoke and steam puff out of it. This might not even be a kitchen, it might be one of those steam boilers the Abbot sometimes mutters about.

> LOOK IN CHIMNEY
Sticking my face over it would be a sure-fire way to burn my eyebrows over. That air is hot!

> CLIMB DOWN CHIMNEY
I don’t think much is to be achieved by that.

A breath of hot air touches me from the east.

> E
The only way to go from here is west.
I'm never in one place, I roam from town to town.

quote:

> W

Rooftop
There are other roofs east, west and northeast. To the south is a low wall, a twelve-foot gap, and then another roof that’s covered in machinery.

The low south wall is missing a few bricks creating a gap - well, I’ll call it a notch.

A large tarp lies discarded here.

> W

Sloping Roofs
It’s hard to keep my bearings here: below, several streets are coming together and their overhanging roofs - good for keeping the rain off - create a patchwork of tiles, chimneys, gaps and different levels. I can scramble up a few levels to the north, or I could probably slip away west and south, but I might get turned around in either of those directions.

> E
East is impassable.
And when I find myself fall-- wait a minute, east is impassable? But we just came from there! Uh-oh.

quote:

> S

Rooftop
There are other roofs east, west and northeast. To the south is a low wall, a twelve-foot gap, and then another roof that’s covered in machinery.

> W

Sloping Roofs
Several roofs meet here in a mess of tiles. East is impassable, but I could climb rooftiles to north, west or south.

> W

Rooftop
This roof is almost flat, which is good, because there’s empty space to the north and west of it. I could slip south, through the remains of a brick chimney collapsed into a whole heap of bricks. It seems to have been barged out the way to make room for a flat wide turret-top, on top of which is a glossy platform with a brass railing. Overlapping roofs create a second path to the northeast.

> EXAMINE TURRET
I can’t make out what’s on the platform (if anything): but I can see it’s encircled by a railing.

> EXAMINE RAILING
I can’t make out what’s on the platform (if anything): but I can see it’s encircled by a railing.

> S

Sloping Roofs
Several roofs meet here in a mess of tiles. East is impassable, but I could climb rooftiles to north, west or south.

> W

Rooftop
A corner of a roof, with nothing to north or west. There’s a safe way back northeast. South is a fallen-down brick chimney topped by a big glossy platform that’s elbowed itself some more space up here.

> EXAMINE CHIMNEY
The collapsed chimney is now nothing but a few huge chunks of bricks, like the last crumbs of a cake. The mortar holding them together is crumbled and dry.

> ENTER CHIMNEY
I climb halfway up the brick, but then skitter down again.

> N
The only ways to go from here are northeast and south.

> NE

Rooftop
The roofs are a mess of chimneys, lightning rods, ways forward and sudden sharp drops.

From here, I could scramble down to the south, or hop across small gaps to the southeast or southwest. The Cathedral itself is back east.

> S

Sloping Roofs

> N

Rooftop
The roofs are a mess of chimneys, lightning rods, ways forward and sudden sharp drops.

From here, I could scramble down to the south, or hop across small gaps to the southeast or southwest. The Cathedral itself is back east.

> SW

Rooftop
A corner of a roof, with nothing to north or west. There’s a safe way back northeast. South is a fallen-down brick chimney topped by a big glossy platform that’s elbowed itself some more space up here.

It's not exactly a maze, just sort of a confusing layout.

This isn't pretty, but it might help:

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
can we build some kind of makeshift hot air balloon with the tarp and the chimney?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

quote:

> S

Sloping Roofs

> S

Rooftop

> EXAMINE TARP
This is expensive stuff: a fabric that’s lighter and stronger and less itchy than the stuff they make my bed-sheets from, the way sunlight is different than the beady glow in a rat’s eye. The Figure must be pretty wealthy to leave something like this behind! Perhaps he meant it as a present: something to buy me off the chase.

Not going to happen. I’m going to catch him, stop him, save the Perpetuum and go collect my reward from the Archbishop.

Steam drifts over the rooftops from the east.

> TAKE TARP
Cumbersome, but that said - it rolls up pretty small!

> E

Rooftop
This is a dead-end of high walls that I can only leave to the west. Southwest the roofs open out over an alleyway - beyond which I can see some machinery (but it’s too far to jump).

By the alley is a squat iron chimney that’s belching out fat slugs of smoke. The kitchen down there must be getting ready for a feast!

> PUT TARP ON CHIMNEY
The tarp would make the chimney something I could handle, but it wouldn’t do me any good - it’s just a short chimney sticking out of the rooftop. I can’t pick it up, or bend it, or anything like that - and there’s nowhere to go if I tried climbing it!
The game interpreted that as us wanting to wrap the tarp around the chimney, not put it on TOP of the chimney.

quote:

> PUT TARP ON TOP OF CHIMNEY
I can’t see any such thing.
Trying to do that specifically just confuses the parser.

quote:

> DROP TARP ON CHIMNEY
Futile.

> FILL TARP WITH HOT AIR
I need to be holding the chimney pipe before I can put it into something else.

A smell of wet smoke drifts in from the east.

> PUT CHIMNEY IN TARP
I need to be holding the chimney pipe before I can put it into something else.

> TAKE CHIMNEY
I snatch my hand back from the chimney. It’s hot!

Your idea wasn't a bad one, but doesn't seem to be working.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hm. What are we carrying right now? Have we still got some wax? We can stick some bits of the tarp together to make it work better?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

quote:

> I
I’m carrying:
a roll of tarp
a work order
a rag
a knife
a small gear
my lucky clock key (being worn)
a glass tumbler (containing:)
a small amount of polish

> EXAMINE WORK ORDER
The order outlines the need for a map of a Nebula, whatever that is. It’s official: stamped in purple wax with the Cathedral icon.

> TAKE WAX FROM WORK ORDER
But it isn’t there now.

> TAKE WAX
I’m carrying the work order already.

> PUT WAX ON TARP
Better hang onto it. You never know when something with the seal on it might come in handy.

> POLISH TARP
The tarp seems clean enough as it is.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Can we use the tarp to jump south over that previous un-jump-overable gap?

If not, polish the tarp.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

quote:

> W

Rooftop

> JUMP SOUTH

> JUMP SOUTH WITH TARP

> JUMP WITH TARP

> WEAR TARP
It’s just a big square of tarpaulin, there are no holes or anything.

> PUT TARP IN NOTCH
That wouldn’t do me any good, would it?

> THROW TARP SOUTH
I only understood you as far as wanting to throw the tarp.

> THROW TARP
Dropped.

> TAKE TARP

> FLAP TARP
That’s not a verb I recognize.

> FLY
They called me Wren, but that’s only what they called me.

> POLISH TARP
The tarp seems clean enough as it is.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Go West again, don’t think we’ve seen that. If nothing there try “cover chimney with tarp” or “cover roof with tarp” in the easterly roof.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

quote:

> W

Sloping Roofs

> S

Rooftop

> E

Rooftop
This is a dead-end of high walls that I can only leave to the west. Southwest the roofs open out over an alleyway - beyond which I can see some machinery (but it’s too far to jump).

> COVER CHIMNEY WITH TARP
The tarp would make the chimney something I could handle, but it wouldn’t do me any good - it’s just a short chimney sticking out of the rooftop. I can’t pick it up, or bend it, or anything like that - and there’s nowhere to go if I tried climbing it!

> COVER ROOF WITH TARP
Which do you mean, the southwestern roof or the tiled rooftops?

> SOUTHWESTERN
The equipment is across the gap over the alleyway, out of reach.

> COVER TILED ROOFTOPS WITH TARP
Dropped.

> LOOK
Rooftop

I can also see a tarp here.

> TAKE TARP

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Can we pick up some bricks from that collapsed chimney and then >PUT TARP IN NOTCH >PUT BRICK IN NOTCH or something like that?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

quote:

> W

Rooftop

> W

Sloping Roofs

> W

Rooftop

> EXAMINE CHIMNEY
The collapsed chimney is now nothing but a few huge chunks of bricks, like the last crumbs of a cake. The mortar holding them together is crumbled and dry.

> TAKE BRICKS
The smallest chunk of brick is almost as big as me. I’d need to break it up a little first if I was going to start carrying it around with me.

> BREAK BRICK
The chunks of brick are stuck with mortar. Old mortar I could easily break, but I’d need some kind of tool to do it.

> I
I’m carrying:
a roll of tarp
a work order
a rag
a knife
a small gear
a small amount of polish

I think the knife is the obvious thing to try first here, so rather than make you guys say it and wait for another update...

quote:

> HIT BRICK WITH KNIFE
Using the knife point I work some of the mortar loose, powder some more, and free up a small chunk of brick that I can probably just about carry.

> TAKE BRICK
I can just about pick it up. It’s heavy, though... worse than carrying both Drake and Calvin’s laundry baskets!

> S

Sloping Roofs

> S

Rooftop

> PUT BRICK IN NOTCH
That wouldn’t do me any good, would it?

> NO, IT WOULDN’T, BUT GLAZIUS THOUGHT IT MIGHT SO I FIGURED WE SHOULD TRY IT. HE’S SOOOOOOO CLOSE, THOUGH.
That was a rhetorical question.

I can’t talk to the huge chunk of brick.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
> throw brick at ornithopter

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

quote:

> THROW BRICK AT ORNITHOPTER
Futile.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hm. Maybe the issue is the cap on that iron chimney, and this brick is pretty heavy. We should see what we can break with it.

> THROW BRICK AT IRON CHIMNEY

> THROW BRICK AT BRASS RAILING

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

quote:

> E

Rooftop

> THROW BRICK AT CHIMNEY
Futile.

> W

Rooftop

> W

Sloping Roofs

> W

Rooftop

> EXAMINE PLATFORM

> THROW BRICK AT RAILING
Futile.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Can we tie the tarp to the railing to turn the entire platform into a hot air balloon?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

quote:

> TIE TARP TO RAILING
The platform is a bit of a way above me.

> CLIMB CHIMNEY
The chimney has fallen into a huge pile of rubble and sections of wall, pretty much unclimbable unless I was a cat. If I was on the platform, I could probably slide down it safely enough.

You guys are making the same mistake I did when I first got to to this section. We haven't yet picked up something we need.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Can we > GET ROOF TILES from that confluence of roofs, or are they all still pretty much set in place?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

quote:

> S

Sloping Roofs

> TAKE TILES
I can’t go wandering off with the rooftops, can I?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Can we tear up a lightning rod, or search the debris?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

idonotlikepeas posted:

Can we tear up a lightning rod, or search the debris?

Yeah.

quote:

> N

Rooftop

> TAKE LIGHTNING ROD
Touch that and you might burn: the vibrations can be that strong. Especially in thunderstorms.

> SE

Rooftop
This roof is half-repaired and littered with construction materials - pipes and boards, that kind of thing. There’s a street to the east, but I could inch along the roof to the northwest or southwest.

> EXAMINE MATERIALS
Bits and bobs. A large and hefty length of piping, a wooden board about three times my height. That sort of thing.

> TAKE PIPING
Taken.

I can’t keep carrying the bricks as well. I put them down.

> TAKE BOARD
I grab one end of the board, ready to drag it along behind me.

This pipe’s too much to handle as well. I put it down.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

If the board is three times the character's height, could it be laid across the gap? That seems too simple. I suspect we will be obligated to do some Rube Goldberg thing where we examine the principles of leverage by putting the board in the notch and dumping bricks on it.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

quote:

> SW
I pull the board along.

Rooftop

I’m still holding this wooden board.

> PUT BOARD IN NOTCH
The board slides in - not perfectly, it’s no clockwork, but it’ll do. The plank extends out over the alley to the south, almost all the way!

> S
I inch a little way out on the board, but it quickly starts to tip over, into the street. I freeze, and inch my way back. Without something to weigh the other end down, this bridge is useless!
Of course, idonotlikepeas already figured this one out - we need to weigh down the board with the brick.

quote:

> NE

Rooftop
This roof is half-repaired and littered with construction materials. There’s a street to the east, but I could inch along the roof to the northwest or southwest.

Lying on the tiles is a length of piping.

I can also see a huge chunk of brick here.

> TAKE BRICK
I can just about pick it up. It’s heavy, though... worse than carrying both Drake and Calvin’s laundry baskets!

> SW

Rooftop

There’s a wooden board set into the notch in the wall and pushed out over the street.

> PUT BRICK ON BOARD
I unload the bricks onto the end of the board, weighing it down nicely.
You guys probably want to bring the pipe along.

quote:

> NE

Rooftop
This roof is half-repaired and littered with construction materials. There’s a street to the east, but I could inch along the roof to the northwest or southwest.

Lying on the tiles is a length of piping.

> TAKE PIPE
Taken.

> SW
The pipe skitters along behind me.

Rooftop

The wooden board makes a nice plank bridge, weighed at this end with bricks.

I’m still holding this length of piping.

> S
With this pipe in tow I’d be too heavy to get across the plank bridge. (Even though it might help my balance!)
WELL WE CAN'T! IN YOUR FACE ANYBODY WHO WANTED TO BRING THE PIPE! Take that!

quote:

> DROP PIPE
Dropped.

> S
I inch out over my makeshift bridge. The weight of the bricks shudders - if it slips off that board then I’m dead, in a second - but it doesn’t. And from the end, it’s a short spring to the roof beyond.

Weather Station
Good Grease! This roof is like a museum of meters! Thermometers, barometers, precipitometers (these are just glass tubes open to catch the rain) and a zephyrgraph attached to a flight of metal stairs that lead up to a platform to the northwest. I can’t see any other way off this roof, although there is a closed hatch underfoot. The wooden plank I used to get here is further off than I thought!

In one corner, a small pipe emerges with a spigot on the end; it’s next to (and tied to) a deflated weather balloon.

> EXAMINE PIPE
A pipe sticks out of the roof and ends in a small spigot. It must be used for filling the balloon. The tap on the spigot is a flat screw-head, set flush with the pipe.

> EXAMINE BALLOON
A small weather balloon. I suppose they use it to lift instruments up into the clouds - but it has a little basket underneath, and I might just be able to squeeze in. The Figure doesn’t know what he’s let himself in for with me, that’s for certain. The balloon is currently empty, and is tied by a string to the pipe and the spigot.

> EXAMINE THERMOMETER
They disagree, depending on how much shade they’re in.

The wind snaps the zephyrgraph round to point south.

> EXAMINE BAROMETER
The air here is heavy, apparently, though I can’t feel it.

> EXAMINE PRECIPITOMETER
“Precipitometer” is a fancy name for “thin bucket”.

> EXAMINE ZEPHYRGRAPH
A zephyrgraph is a small sheet of metal carefully crafted to look like a clock-hand, that’s free to turn depending on the wind-direction. (Some people call it a “weather vane”). It’s currently pointing south.

The zephyrgraph moves to point southeast.

> EXAMINE HATCH
A locked metal hatch in the roof.

> OPEN HATCH
It’s locked from the inside.

The zephyrgraph changes to the east.

> EXAMINE STAIRS
A flight of metal steps, leading up to a platform.

The zephyrgraph moves to point southeast.

> UP

Observation Platform
I’m standing on a platform overlooking a roof covered in broken bricks to the north. A flight of metal steps lead down to the southeast, back to the weather station. A brass railing runs around the edge to stop anyone falling (I could use one of those for my bedroom).

At the platform’s centre is a metal telescope on a tripod that points east. The tripod has a crank at its base, much like the ones in the library and the one inside the clock’s working. There must be a blacksmith somewhere who does nothing but make these cranks. I might be able to see him from here, too, since I’ve got a perfect view of the whole city.

> EXAMINE TELESCOPE
The telescope is made of finely-moulded brass stamped with the crossed lightning of the Weather Guild. Often accused of non-mechanism - weather’s just too temperamental - they tend to build machines that are overly complicated, like the ratchet-and-piston umbrella they sell in the Cathedral Yard market for nine hours a pop. So, the telescope tripod has a crank and compass on the base, which presumably do the business of pointing.

Still, the view must be fantastic. I could look through the telescope to see. (It’s currently pointing east).

> EXAMINE CRANK
The large crank is attached to one leg of the tripod. There’s presumably an Archimedes screw inside or something connecting it to the compass and the telescope up top.

> EXAMINE RAILING
The brass rail is well-polished and set about shoulder-height. I could easily climb over it to the roof below.

> LOOK THROUGH TELESCOPE
Sunlight sparkles from the flickering surface of the Fugit, running down from the mountains towards the sea, far to the south. But no sign of the Figure in this direction.

> TURN CRANK
Am I turning the crank or is the crank turning me? After a few rotations of whichever-it-is, I find I’m on a different side of the tower with both me and telescope facing west.

> LOOK
Observation Platform
The railed platform overlooks a littered roof to the north and steps lead southeast back to the weather station.

At the platform’s centre is a metal telescope on a tripod that points west. The tripod has a crank at its base, and the thing is set up to give a great view of the city.

> LOOK THROUGH TELESCOPE
The huge clockface of the Cathedral - or a tiny portion of it - fills the eyepiece. But no sign of the Figure in this direction.

> EXAMINE COMPASS
The compass is a steel pointer riveted over the engraving of a compass on a brass disc at the telescope’s base. Currently the pointer is set to west; the telescope points the same way.

Note that weather vanes are normally shaped like clock hands and "hour" is also apparently a unit of currency in this world. I do like the attention to bits of background detail.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The crank can't only point us east or west, can it?

I would say turn the crank until we can see the figure through the telescope, then open the pipe somehow. Maybe we can use our knife or the clock key as an impromptu screwdriver?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Speaking of turning my crank: hot drat, the word zephyrgraph. I mean, yowza.

I like Glazius' plan, although it might be possible to just turn the spigot by hand, too? And of course we want to wait until the wind is pointing at where we want to go before untying the string.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

An excellent plan!

quote:

> TURN CRANK
The crank won’t turn. Must be something wrong with the rest of the mechanism.

A brick wall appears directly in the path of your excellent plan!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hmm.

> LOOK

Maybe turning the crank changed the orientation of the stairs or something too?

Anyway, "zephyrgraph" is a pretty wonderful name, and I have to share in the mad props for casual worldbuilding that a text adventure can give you.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Can we connect that heavy pipe from the debris to the chimney to route the hot air?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

quote:

> LOOK
Observation Platform
The railed platform overlooks a littered roof to the north and steps lead southeast back to the weather station.

At the platform’s centre is a metal telescope on a tripod that points west. The tripod has a crank at its base, and the thing is set up to give a great view of the city.

> EXAMINE STAIRS

> DOWN

Weather Station
Thermometers, barometers, precipitometers (these are just glass tubes open to catch the rain) and a zephyrgraph attached to a flight of metal stairs that lead up to a platform to the northwest. I can’t see any other way off this roof, although there is a closed hatch underfoot. The wooden plank I used to get here is further off than I thought!

In one corner, a small pipe emerges with a spigot on the end; it’s next to (and tied to) a deflated weather balloon.

> EXAMINE STAIRS

The wind snaps the zephyrgraph round to point east.

> NORTH
I can see myself jumping from the roof-edge onto the board, and then going down as I land, and then pausing for a moment like a penduluum at the far end of its swing, and then pushing back up into the air again and catapulting off into space... so, no thanks. I’m staying here.

Glazius posted:

Maybe turning the crank changed the orientation of the stairs or something too?

Doesn't seem to have.

Ratatozsk posted:

Can we connect that heavy pipe from the debris to the chimney to route the hot air?

Can't get back the way we came.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Can we still open the pipe and start filling up the balloon? ...no clue which way we'll need to point it to catch up with the Figure though. Trust to luck?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

quote:

> OPEN PIPE
The screw is set flat into the upper pipe, and my fingernail doesn’t seem to be enough to get it to turn.

> TURN SCREW
The screw is set flat into the upper pipe, and my fingernail doesn’t seem to be enough to get it to turn.

The zephyrgraph moves to point south.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

>Turn screw with knife
>polish screw

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

quote:

> TURN SCREW WITH KNIFE
I slip the knife-blade into the screw-head and turn. There’s a brief hiss - then silence. I guess the hydrogen supply is off downstairs. Maybe the Abbot has finally cut the Weather Guild’s funding. I close the tap up again.

> POLISH SCREW
The small spigot seems clean enough as it is.

> TURN SCREW WITH KNIFE
No point trying again.

The zephyrgraph moves to point east.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Can we disassemble anything? Pull up the railing, take apart the crank (and possibly fix it), pull the spigot off of the pipe?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

quote:

> TAKE ALL
small spigot: That’s fixed in place.

> U

Observation Platform

> TAKE ALL
telescope: Taken.
That's.. interesting. I'm pretty sure us being able to take the telescope is a bug.

quote:

> PULL RAILING
It’s pretty firmly built into the platform (and if I could get it free, the whole place might unspiral like a sprung watch.)

> TAKE APART CRANK

> PULL CRANK
Nothing obvious happens.

> TURN CRANK
The crank won’t turn. Must be something wrong with the rest of the mechanism. Something to do with the compass, maybe?

> EXAMINE COMPASS
The compass is a steel pointer riveted over the engraving of a compass on a brass disc at the telescope’s base. Currently the pointer is set to west; the telescope points the same way.

> EXAMINE TELESCOPE
The telescope is made of finely-moulded brass stamped with the crossed lightning of the Weather Guild. The tripod has a crank and compass on the base, which presumably do the business of pointing.

Still, the view must be fantastic. I could look through the telescope to see. (It’s currently pointing west).

> LOOK THROUGH TELESCOPE
The huge clockface of the Cathedral - or a tiny portion of it - fills the eyepiece. But no sign of the Figure in this direction.

> POINT TELESCOPE SOUTH
No good trying to move it by hand. You can’t back a gear against a gasket, as they say.

> I
I’m carrying:
a telescope
a roll of tarp
a work order
a rag
a knife
a small gear
a small amount of polish

> D

Weather Station
Thermometers, barometers, precipitometers (these are just glass tubes open to catch the rain) and a zephyrgraph attached to a flight of metal stairs that lead up to a platform to the northwest. I can’t see any other way off this roof, although there is a closed hatch underfoot. The wooden plank I used to get here is further off than I thought!

> LOOK THROUGH TELESCOPE

> LOOK SOUTH THROUGH TELESCOPE
I only understood you as far as wanting to look south.

I didn't put the telescope back where it was just yet, but keep in mind that it seems like a bug that we can take it so if you have any thoughts that depend on us taking and using it somewhere else, dismiss them because that ain't it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Can we point the compass? If so, can we point it in every direction, turning the crank and looking through the telescope in between, until we've seen all there is to see?

• Locked thread