Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Oracle posted:

So why'd he step down? Another incoming sexual harrassment scandal or the numbers showed he wasn't a lock or Rahm calling in favors or what? Also actual article link you lazy Chicago fuckers.

He's 63 and has been in congress for 24 years. Maybe he just wants to retire, or just do stuff close to home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I've never been much a fan of Gutierrez. The poo poo he pulled after Harold Washington died hurt the city a lot and we're still feeling the affects. When I lived in his district, he didn't seem too concerned about what was happening in it. Whenever I'd contact them about a real issue I'd just receive a canned response and then put on a mailing list telling me all the great things Gutierrez said on Meet the Press or whatever that had nothing to do with the district.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

He's always been big on immigration, which is a big thing for the 4th district. He's also working on getting Puerto Ricans resettled in Chicago right now.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
A lot of people on Twitter think it has to do with the situation in Puerto Rico. He spends as much time there as he does in Chicago, he probably wants to spend more time helping the people there.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Now the rumor is he wants to run for President.

https://twitter.com/ChadPergram/status/935902021185687552

That's pretty ballsy. I would think it would be more of a play to be VP or something. I just don't see how he builds up a national name enough to get the support, and being the Latino/immigration candidate will only help in some of the heavy Latino states.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

Now the rumor is he wants to run for President.

https://twitter.com/ChadPergram/status/935902021185687552

That's pretty ballsy. I would think it would be more of a play to be VP or something. I just don't see how he builds up a national name enough to get the support, and being the Latino/immigration candidate will only help in some of the heavy Latino states.

To be fair, the states with the largest latino populations are California, Texas, New York, Florida, and Illinois. Not that any normal candidate will carry those given party lines, but those states total 171 electoral college votes of the needed 270.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Big Black Dick posted:

To be fair, the states with the largest latino populations are California, Texas, New York, Florida, and Illinois. Not that any normal candidate will carry those given party lines, but those states total 171 electoral college votes of the needed 270.

California, New York and Illinois are reliably blue when electing a President and Florida is purple for the most part. Texas is the nut to crack for Dems and it's getting a lot closer to turning purple that it used to be. A Dem Latino candidate could push to to the brink.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

TMMadman posted:

California, New York and Illinois are reliably blue when electing a President and Florida is purple for the most part. Texas is the nut to crack for Dems and it's getting a lot closer to turning purple that it used to be. A Dem Latino candidate could push to to the brink.

He wouldn't stand a chance in the rust belt. I think he'd be fine doing the activist stuff nationally. Would be a great voice in parts of the country you talk about that are purple and have large Hispanic populations.

The other problem with Gutierrez is he's really embedded in Chicago machine politics. He's made money off a bunch off scummy real estate deals and that stuff will definitely come out if he seeks higher office. Not to mention his standing in the black community won't be helped by the poo poo he pulled after Harold Washington died.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
It doesn’t seem like being involved in scummy real estate is a disqualifior for office anymore.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Niwrad posted:

He wouldn't stand a chance in the rust belt. I think he'd be fine doing the activist stuff nationally. Would be a great voice in parts of the country you talk about that are purple and have large Hispanic populations.

The other problem with Gutierrez is he's really embedded in Chicago machine politics. He's made money off a bunch off scummy real estate deals and that stuff will definitely come out if he seeks higher office. Not to mention his standing in the black community won't be helped by the poo poo he pulled after Harold Washington died.

Can you elaborate? I could google but 'scummy Chicago politics' gives you a bazillion hits so, you know.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Oracle posted:

Can you elaborate? I could google but 'scummy Chicago politics' gives you a bazillion hits so, you know.

He joined on the bandwagon of people who called Eugene Sawyer an Uncle Tom (in fact the name they used was Uncle Tom Sawyer) and a race traitor. Believe he was even one of the people who trashed Sawyer at the Harold Washington memorial service. Mind you that Sawyer risked his life as a security guard for MLK back in Alabama as a young man.

Then with the black community divided, he backed Daley (who was woefully unqualified for the position) in the Mayoral election because Daley promised to back him when he ran for Congress.

I know most people can't stand Kass but he wrote a story about it on the anniversary of Washington's death. Doesn't mention Gutierrez but he was one of the guys who helped perpetuate that divide and then ran off to support Daley. Story is more about how the events after Washington's death is why we likely haven't elected a black Mayor since.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/kass/ct-met-harold-washington-30-years-john-kass-20171117-story.html

Gutierrez is a scummy politician who just knew how to play the PR game well.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Gutierrez is Joe Berrios with better PR.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Bobby Rush's petitions were completely awful, Howard Brookins just filed to challenge him. Watch Rush "retire" rather than get kicked off the ballot.

https://twitter.com/thedailylinechi/status/937714816315207680

Rush was great in the past, but now he's just a senile old man who does what he's told.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The X-man cometh posted:

Rush was great in the past, but now he's just a senile old man who does what he's told.

I think it's his family that get paid a lot to "consult" or work for him that push him to run these days. He's been their piggybank for awhile.

Seems like after his wife passed and the health issues he's had, he'd just want to retire and let someone who is able to show up to vote take his place.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

So what's the deal with the Tribune? I know they were more to the right but they seem to have swung real hard to the right lately. They wrote a bunch of editorials on how this tax plan is good despite it completely loving over people in this state. They even wrote an anti-NN piece. The Sun-Times took them to task.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/opinion/editorial-sorry-tribune-tax-reform-awful-for-chicago/

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The Trib was always run by rich white suburbanites who are scared of minorities. Trump getting elected has made them feel more comfortable about it.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Also, Sam Zell is a giant piece of poo poo and he owns Tronc so...

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

Big Black Dick posted:

Also, Sam Zell is a giant piece of poo poo and he owns Tronc so...

Zell might be a piece of poo poo but he hasn't had anything to do with Tribune (broadcasting or publishing) since they emerged from bankruptcy.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Stutes posted:

Zell might be a piece of poo poo but he hasn't had anything to do with Tribune (broadcasting or publishing) since they emerged from bankruptcy.

Really? I missed that apparently. I maintain his poo poo status regardless. Nuke all billionaires.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Niwrad posted:

So what's the deal with the Tribune? I know they were more to the right but they seem to have swung real hard to the right lately. They wrote a bunch of editorials on how this tax plan is good despite it completely loving over people in this state. They even wrote an anti-NN piece. The Sun-Times took them to task.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/opinion/editorial-sorry-tribune-tax-reform-awful-for-chicago/

They’re going to be acquired by Sinclair Broadcast, so they’re getting a head start?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I guess it was a sign when they endorsed Gary Johnson last election.

Still :lol: at a digital media company calling for the end of net neutrality. Way to know your business.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

woooooooow

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
It's challenge day!
Keep track of who's being challenged here:

http://www.elections.il.gov/ElectionInformation/CandidateFilingSearchByOffice.aspx?ID=%2fdyYy%2bevhbU%3d

https://www.cookcountyclerk.com/content/candidate-filing

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/sandhya__k/status/939253961864990720

Lmao I thought you guys were exaggerating

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Nope. It's the biggest scam going. We wouldn't have to ram through dumb soda taxes if we actually taxed commercial and industrial buildings properly. County misses out on billions.

My favorite is how Trump's building had it's commercial part reduced from $11 million to $3 million despite property values soaring in the area.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Niwrad posted:

We wouldn't have to ram through dumb soda taxes if we actually taxed commercial and industrial buildings properly. County misses out on billions.

But isn't the total tax assessment a set amount?

I don't think it's that total amount that is in question here, it's just the awful distribution of that burden (expensive properties underpaying, cheap properties overpaying).

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The soda tax seemed to work at it's stated goals (more tax revenue, less consumption of garbage) and the whole thing was a God drat plotline from parks and rec

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Man_of_Teflon posted:

But isn't the total tax assessment a set amount?

I don't think it's that total amount that is in question here, it's just the awful distribution of that burden (expensive properties underpaying, cheap properties overpaying).

The assessment is the value of the property, and the levy (done by the County Treasurer) is when they determine what rate everyone's taxed at. So the assessment sets the unequal burden.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
presumably if all the loop buildings were paying their real value instead of half of it, the levy could increase without burdening homeowners and then you wouldn't need stupid poo poo like a pop tax (designed to raise less each year due to being a sin tax) to ostensibly pay for county employee salaries

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

i thought that changing the total levy was much different than changing the assessments (where the levy comes from). like right now, if we jacked up the assessments of the high value properties (as it appears we should) than the low value properties would decrease proportionately so the total amount collected would remain the same.

i guess it does follow that we would then be able to have a total property tax increase without loving over the little guys any more than we already have.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Man_of_Teflon posted:

i guess it does follow that we would then be able to have a total property tax increase without loving over the little guys any more than we already have.

This. The free pass on the bigger properties forces the one's that are assessed fairly (people who can't afford connected attorneys) to shoulder the burden.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
As well, an accurate assessment would likely significantly inflate Chicago's overall property value (because the real estate that is undervalued is the really expensive real estate) and justify the city raising a larger sum from property taxation, which would disproportionately be levied on the more expensive real estate compared to current levies. Even though it's a revenue-determined flat tax, the actual enforcement makes it not only regressive in the way a flat tax is, but significantly more regressive than that because of the undervaluing of expensive and overvaluing of inexpensive properties. From the current situation, even moving to an actual flat tax with proper assessment (and subsequently being able to accurately raise the level of taxation to increase revenue) would be a significant improvement.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Clear your schedules to watch Rauner play the whole Blago-Pritzker phone conversation on TV stations.

http://abc7chicago.com/politics/rauner-plans-to-air-entire-blagojevich-pritzker-wiretap/2963761/

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

What's the deal with that anyway?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Yeah was he up to shady poo poo or just got caught on a tap with Blago and going for the guilt by association thing? I don't remember that time real well.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

From the one-minute ad (which, of course, may not tell the whole story), Blago asks JB if he's a lawyer, JB says he is, then Blago says he's gonna need a new AG (if he appoints Lisa Madigan to take Obama's place as U.S. Senator). JB's response is clearly delighted and he mutters something along the lines that that'd be great.

eta: the captioning on the ad is super-small and I had to see it several times before I caught even that much. But if Rauner's gonna release the entire taped phone call, I'm guessing that the portion used in the ad wasn't entirely out of context.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 19, 2018

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The part of the call that I've heard sounds like Blago being Blago and Pritzker going "mmmmhhmmm" a lot, like I can just picture JB nodding his head and giving the hand job gesture while talking. I guess they're hoping every one hears how sleazy Blago is and just start associating that with JB, but it seems way early for Rauner to play this card.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Patti Blagojevich put out a statement that the conversation was one that they were prevented from using in court, so it can't be that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Yeah was he up to shady poo poo or just got caught on a tap with Blago and going for the guilt by association thing? I don't remember that time real well.

This is entirely what Rauner is shooting for. Plays to his entire strategy of pitting downstate against Chicago because this ties Pritzker to "the machine".