Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
fav human ancestor/hominin relative
This poll is closed.
Homo neanderthalensis 18 9.18%
Homo erectus 22 11.22%
Homo habilis 8 4.08%
Australopithecus afarensis 12 6.12%
Sahelanthropus tchadensis 11 5.61%
Ardipithecus ramidus 7 3.57%
Australopithecus bahrelghazali 7 3.57%
Homo floresiensis 12 6.12%
Homo naledi 10 5.10%
Kenyanthropus platyops 7 3.57%
ur mom op 59 30.10%
op 23 11.73%
Total: 106 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Uh huh you just said that as part of your goal post moving. Literally none of your posts before that have referenced SNPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Azuth0667 posted:

Uh huh you just said that as part of your goal post moving. Literally none of your posts before that have referenced SNPs.

that's my first post in this thread you dipshit

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Cubone posted:

that's my first post in this thread you dipshit

So it is you win, I'll join you as a fellow dipshit.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Azuth0667 posted:

So it is you win, I'll join you as a fellow dipshit.

that's all I ask. welcome, brother.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Lmao well done Cubone.

I've always wanted to do one of these but I'm a cheap piece of poo poo. However I just looked at their site and I guess just the ancestry service kit is only $49 per kit if you get at least two until the 23rd. I think I might see if my parents would be willing to do it and get a pair of kits to test them instead of myself. I feel like I could prolly learn more that way in some respects. Like what I've possibly got from each parent is more interesting to me than what my genetic ancestry is.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 5, 2017

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Cubone posted:

I literally just said I wasn't making an assertion either way
I literally just spoke against people talking about poo poo they don't understand

if you want my incomplete layperson's understanding, I can tell you that sections of a human genome are repeated, and the number of repeats varies enough between individuals that measuring them can match a DNA sample to an individual. I can tell you the federal government maintains a database of these counts, called CODIS, collected by state and federal law enforcement agencies (and not centrally tied to personally identifying information because that is illegal), that they can use to match DNA samples to known criminals

I can tell you that single nucleotide polymorphism is based on one discrete part of the human genome, a "single nucleotide", which varies between individuals and populations and that this variance is used to identify whether a given variant is tied to a genetic disease or trait. and I can tell you that 23andme uses this information, and not copy-number variation, to get its results

this is why I asked the completely reasonable question of why the government would be collecting single nucleotide polymorphisms for their database of short tandem repeats

it is really loving cute that the only way you can frame me wanting you to know what you're talking about is that I'm part of a conspiracy

I didn't even say your concerns are not legitimate, I JUST want you to frame them as concerns instead of fact, and you can't even do that. instead you're challenging me to DISPROVE what, again, is just a thought that you had.

thank you for explaining how the 23andme test works, that's all i wanted to learn from you and i'm glad we agree it's still a concern even if not the same thing as "index me in the criminal database for money"

i was asking about the test while showing my general skepticism and didn't pass genetics 101 also i don't actually drink Caveman by alex jones though i imagine it has saved many lives

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Police can legally use 23andMe, other ancestry tools to obtain your DNA

WJAX reports companies such as 23andMe and Ancestry would be willing to give police access to your DNA if they have a warrant.

Even more, police could also obtain DNA from a family member to make a "familial match."

https://www.local10.com/news/police-can-legally-use-23andme-other-ancestry-tools-to-obtain-your-dna

lol, you just made it easier for the police to frame you.

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I was maybe seven or eight years old at the time, and my mom was weaning me off of breast feeding.

isn't that kind of late to be breastfeeding

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Love white people finding out they're white

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I lied and sent some other dude's spit in. Now they'll never be able to keep me off the rocket to Mars.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
For those interested, the Electronic Frontier Foundation's take on the Law and Medical Privacy,

https://www.eff.org/issues/law-and-medical-privacy

and Genetic Information Privacy

https://www.eff.org/issues/genetic-information-privacy

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
why doesn’t the government just mandate that these tests should be done at birth so we can monitor genetic drift and take pro-active steps to improve our bloodlines?!?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

LinYutang posted:

Love white people finding out they're white

I'm curious as to how white I am, but not like $100 curious.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY
Didn't Oprah find out she was less Native American than Larry David?

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

buglord posted:

i sent my spit sample this morning in the mail and it should be at the lab for processing by the end of the week. I could have been onto step 2 by now but USPS lost my first sample that I sent like 3 weeks ago. I'm fully expecting to see some results by like December because based on what the official website and reddit says. I'd be more peeved by this, but because I was sadbrains in highschool I got the $200 kit for free by going through their research program. At the very least I wanna see if im anything else other than full hispanic. my lineage gets really murky once I get to the relatives that crossed US-MX border back in 1900. grandparents on both sides of my family mention native american blood but I really doubt it tbh. we'll see though!

so who else is in on this? were you impressed? did you find out that you're some other ethnicity or that you have a history of wet butt disease or something?

"full hispanic" isn't a thing, all latinos are mixed ethnicities there were no hispanic people a thousand years ago

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I have blond hair and blue eyes and am 2.5% North African.

In The Bushes
Mar 4, 2012
My only experience with this was when my old black/Hispanic roommate found out she was 70% white and 0% Hispanic. She immediately got a twenty cent raise. Money well spent.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Lime Tonics posted:

Police can legally use 23andMe, other ancestry tools to obtain your DNA

WJAX reports companies such as 23andMe and Ancestry would be willing to give police access to your DNA if they have a warrant.

Even more, police could also obtain DNA from a family member to make a "familial match."

https://www.local10.com/news/police-can-legally-use-23andme-other-ancestry-tools-to-obtain-your-dna

lol, you just made it easier for the police to frame you.

If the police wanted to frame you, they could just get something with your DNA from your trash can.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

This legit makes me miss my mom. She had Hirsutism. My dad used to call her his little wolf mama. One of my most vivid childhood memories is of my mother's hairiness. I was maybe seven or eight years old at the time, and my mom was weaning me off of breast feeding. My mom was a straight four on the Ferriman–Gallwey scale when she wasn't depilating, and she'd gotten pretty spotty about it since I wasn't suckling so often. I remember grabbing handfuls of her chest hair to keep myself in place, and no matter what I did, I kept getting hair in my mouth. I'm pretty sure that's why I feel compelled to nuzzle and chew on the woman's hair whenever I'm in a relationship. It's caused a few fights, because I just can't get into sex without a mouthful of my partner's hair.

I miss you, mom :love:

Lol

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
23andme is one step away from the final step: interpreting my DNA. I’m so excited guys

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

scrubs season six posted:

I have blond hair and blue eyes and am 2.5% North African.

You have any Sicilian or otherwise southern Italian grandparents/great-grandparents?

Pube Factory
Jun 10, 2001
Pretty much the only thing I'm good at is growing these beautiful, thick pubes
My dad was adopted and has no info about his birth family so I think it might be interesting to see what kind of hits this gives me. How useful is this actually for finding relatives? Obviously depends on who has submitted their DNA to the database, but are you guys getting a ton of hits for like second and third cousins?

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
I got a hit for a first cousin which I was told I didnt have but I do actually, tons of second and thirds. TONS. Too many. I dont like it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Mnemosyne posted:

You have any Sicilian or otherwise southern Italian grandparents/great-grandparents?

Dad:

5% Africa*
63% Great Britain
14% Scandinavia
5% Ireland
4% Iberian Peninsula
3% Italy/Greece
3% Europe East
2% European Jewish
<1% Finland/Northwest Russia

*2% Mali
<1% Africa Southeastern Bantu
<1% Africa North
<1% Ivory Coast/Ghana

Mom:

32% Great Britain
20% Scandinavian
19% West European
11% Irish
10% East European
2% Italy/Greece
2% Iberian Peninsula
4% Caucasus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Pube Factory posted:

My dad was adopted and has no info about his birth family so I think it might be interesting to see what kind of hits this gives me. How useful is this actually for finding relatives? Obviously depends on who has submitted their DNA to the database, but are you guys getting a ton of hits for like second and third cousins?

It's very useful for finding relatives, though your success will vary based on ethnicity to some extent. A standard "white" person adopted in America will do fine. A person adopted from Russia or Korea will get very few close DNA matches, because the tests are mainly sold to Americans. Most people who are natives of other countries are living in the country where their ancestors have lived for thousands of years, so they have no need of a test to tell them what their ethnicity is, so they don't buy these tests.

It's best to test with Ancestry.com for this purpose. Their database is over 6 million users tested right now, vs 23andMe whose database is just over 3 million (with a huge number - maybe half- of those people having "opted out" of the relative matching part). The bigger the database, the better chances of getting good matches. Of course, there's a bit of luck to the matter too, because sometimes people test at the smaller databases and immediately get a hit for a birth parent/half sibling who was not tested at the other site.

Once you test at Ancestry.com, you can upload your data for free to FamilyTreeDNA.com. They sell their own tests, but I think their database is in the realm of 1.5 million, and since you can test at Ancestry and then get in to FTDNA for free, it makes the most financial sense to do it that way, because you get in two databases for the cost of one. Beyond that, you can also upload your data for free to Gedmatch.com, which is a 3rd party site run by a genealogist that allows everyone tested at all the sites to add their data so that we can all do comparisons with each other, regardless of which company we tested with. That way you'll also find some matches who tested at 23andMe too.

EDIT: If your dad tests and doesn't immediately figure out who his bio family is from doing that, then send me a PM and I can do it for you.

• Locked thread