Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Shooting (the) poo poo

First bonus MP video! Joined by goons Aces High and Kimberly Clark, we do a couple of bronze missions. There were lots of technical difficulties, including a malfunctioning controller and a match where everyone got disconnected but me so we had to restart. Also KC is my BFF for reals and he's visiting for Christmas so I had to do a dual setup which left him using the Gold headset which makes you sound like you have a bucket on your head. In addition we've been friends for longer than a lot of goons have been alive so excuse our in-jokes.

Starting off with an all-Krogan match and how stupid fun they are, though I kept missing melee :saddowns: Then we all put on really OP classes and melted poo poo though Aces got disconnected again and had to join late. The Asari Huntress is my goto class for high difficulties. Unlike other infils she gets a bonus to powers when she cloaks instead of weapons. Slap a power amp IV on her, plus the biotic amp equipment and she'll dissolve things even on plat.

Some quirks you'll notice (other than KC's hosed up controller) are that you run like a drunk person. This is because they bound run to X so you have to take your thumb off the directional stick which means you'll run in a straight line from there and then have to stop running to turn. It's stupid, there's a reason pretty much every shooter uses L3 or R3 to run. Also cover is quite sticky, so you'll get hung up on corners or attach yourself to a wall when you mean to dodge. Some characters like the shaman Aces is playing can't even get into cover properly. You'll also hear us talking about (and get to see) a sync kill. This is a move some boss type enemies have where even if you're running past or trying to dodge you'll "sync" with the animation and get hoovered in for an instant kill. There are ways around this, one character cannot be synced at all and if you are on a different level then you can't be grabbed. People still don't know this and it's fun to dance with a nasty boss enemy on a ramp, then have someone try the same thing on level surfaces and get ganked :haw:

We'll try and coordinate to do some more of these at higher difficulties where things really get nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I don't dislike Jessica Chobot in general, but goddamn her delivery is flat as gently caress and why is her character wearing a dress on a combat ship that is definitely going to be under fire?
Also guess who does the VA for our favorite beef mountain? Freddie Prinze Jr of all people.
The cast list for this game is a bit nuts, in a good way probably.

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Dec 27, 2017

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I'm still kind of amazed they got Martin Sheen for TIM. Dude's got some serious chops.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

SubponticatePoster posted:

I'm still kind of amazed they got Martin Sheen for TIM. Dude's got some serious chops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzSSZ0gl7Nk

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lol

Counterpoint: Apocalypse Now

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I miss being a volus vanguard with a batarian gauntlet

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

And while we're talking about KOTOR voices, I only recently found out that FemShep is also Bastilla. I don't really care one way or the other about Bastilla, she's also a big wet blanket, but FemShep is definitely the better voiced Shepard

I guess Jennifer Hale has a much better range than Raphael Sbarge (Carth/Kadien), or maybe they just hosed up and gave him the exact same character to work with both times they hired him

If you've ever played Republic Commando, he's the comic relief demo expert in that. Pretty different role. Much more likable.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Ancient Assholes

Heading back to where it all started to look for some stupid artifact. Poor Eden Prime, first the Saren problem and now they have Cerberus running amok and subjugating the populace. I know the Alliance is stretched a bit thin but you'd think they could maybe spare a couple ships to liberate an entire planet being held by a terrorist organization. In regular Cerberus fashion they're doing some kind of horrible poo poo to people but it doesn't say what.

Then we find the artifact but it's not a beacon or blueprint, it's a goddamn living Prothean and we need to get him out of his coffin pod quickly because of course Cerb hosed it up. Kill a few dudes, watch a couple of videos and we're good to go. I had some issues with the PS3 both freezing and stuttering. I don't remember it playing this badly the first 10 times around, but apologies anyway. We see the last days of the Protheans and it wasn't pretty. In a desperation move they took a million people and tried to stick them on ice for a while but it got hosed up and our guy is the last one left.

Javik is a dick. Most of the time it's hilarious. Poor Liara is in for a bit of a rude awakening (literally). His VA does a fantastic job and his bit in the Citadel DLC is hysterical. It's a bit weird that he knows so much about all the current species though - you'd think he'd only be vaguely aware of us if at all. We'll get to know him a bit better in the next video, I cut the convo because it adds like an additional 15 minutes to the runtime.

Next we'll head over to Palaven and see about rescuing that Primarch.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yaaaaaaaay my favorite sassmaster!
Javik is the best, I always took him and Liara because comedy.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That planet really needs a better name.

Also good job Liara for declaring there were no survivors two seconds after stepping off the ship.

Happy new year! :)

Poil fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 1, 2018

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dreadwroth posted:

Yaaaaaaaay my favorite sassmaster!
Javik is the best, I always took him and Liara because comedy.

He's got fun dynamics with most of the cast. I like him and Garrus for maximum renegade.

Garrus looks at a war crime, makes noises about how maybe it was necessary, no matter how much he hates it. Then Javik explains how that's a half measure for babies, and explains how, in his day, they would have done something much, much worse as a warning.

Javik is the best.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Oh good, at least I only missed a month of this one.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Javik is a dick. Most of the time it's hilarious. Poor Liara is in for a bit of a rude awakening (literally). His VA does a fantastic job and his bit in the Citadel DLC is hysterical. It's a bit weird that he knows so much about all the current species though - you'd think he'd only be vaguely aware of us if at all.

Well, he and Shep got some mind meld action, so maybe that's how it's justified.

Also, worth pointing out that Javik and this whole sequence is specific to the From Ashes DLC, which launched at the same time as the rest of ME3 and was available in the N7 editions.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I don't know what to make of this DLC. I can't think of anywhere that Javik actually fits in the story, even though a lot of work was put into his kit with unique mechanics, character specific assets, and he has so much dialogue. The mission attached to him doesn't fit, feels smaller than the other character centric missions, and doesn't fit what was shown in his cinematics. The seeming lack of unique assets makes me wonder if BioWare couldn't figure out where to put him and this was an :effort: pushed out because of EA' needed day one DLC, or if he was supposed to have the much more fleshed out level, but money/time ran out and they offered him grafted onto an unused multiplayer map and that explains the half-baked resistance *thing*

Could be somewhere in the middle, but either way, Javik is great as a character and his gun is good on your squadmates

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

I don't know what to make of this DLC. I can't think of anywhere that Javik actually fits in the story, even though a lot of work was put into his kit with unique mechanics, character specific assets, and he has so much dialogue. The mission attached to him doesn't fit, feels smaller than the other character centric missions, and doesn't fit what was shown in his cinematics. The seeming lack of unique assets makes me wonder if BioWare couldn't figure out where to put him and this was an :effort: pushed out because of EA' needed day one DLC, or if he was supposed to have the much more fleshed out level, but money/time ran out and they offered him grafted onto an unused multiplayer map and that explains the half-baked resistance *thing*

Could be somewhere in the middle, but either way, Javik is great as a character and his gun is good on your squadmates

If memory serves, they had Javik mostly done, but not implemented, so the plan was to just trim out the hooks and leave it at that. But EA wanted some DLC, and the way the last days of making a game go, a lot of people were free to finish things up there. So Javik got a tossed together multi map for a mission, and all the pre-existing stuff was fully implemented, and there you go. The best character in the game was in the game.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

As a dedicated ME3 Vanguard, let me just say: gently caress turrets, now and forever.

Also, it seems a very odd choice to me to max Cryo Ammo (or Pull) instead of maxing out a more useful bonus power like Dark Channel or Reave.

chiasaur11 posted:

The best character in the game was in the game.

Javik is not the best character in the game. The best character in the game is a holdover from ME2, and we will meet them soon enough.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

grack posted:

As a dedicated ME3 Vanguard, let me just say: gently caress turrets, now and forever.

Also, it seems a very odd choice to me to max Cryo Ammo (or Pull) instead of maxing out a more useful bonus power like Dark Channel or Reave.

Javik is not the best character in the game. The best character in the game is a holdover from ME2, and we will meet them soon enough.
Yeah I kinda need to respec, I got DC later in the game and you start exactly the way you finish up with an import. 3 in pull is probably sufficient.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

You need at least one point in pull to get rid of riot shields. Even if you bonus-power into Lash, only pull works on the spec-ops soldier's riot shields. Lash just staggers them.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

No no no, what you do is install a mod that lets you use multiplayer powers in single player. Pick up Annihilation Field, spec Biotic Charge for area, and have every Charge both prime and detonate three biotic explosions at the same time.

Plus, you can spec Annihilation Field to drain Shields/Barriers to refill your own Barrier, meaning you can use Nova even *more* often.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Except I'm playing on console...

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Well, I guess you could use Reave, or spec Dark Channel out for maximum duration and just Charge around setting off biotic detonations.

I SUPPOSE

Seriously though, Annihilation Field is awesome. It's a persistent power so it won't gently caress with your cooldowns, and priming biotic detonations is instantaneous. Basically you turn it on, and every new enemy you charge is immediately primed for a biotic detonation just prior to being hit by the charge itself. Spec charge for area at level 4 and you can wreak havoc and devastation all over the place, even more so than normal. I solo'd Mirror Match on Insanity with that combo.

grack fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 3, 2018

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, I give ME3 a lot of poo poo and even after all these years I still think that the majority of it still holds true. One of the good things it gave us though, is Javik, who will be glorious in so many ways.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Since it was solely through your LP that I experienced DA: Inquisition, SP, your latest thread seemed like the place to post this:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/01/06/dragon-age-varric-publishing-real-novel/

Hard in Hightown is gonna be a real book now.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

zxqv8 posted:

Since it was solely through your LP that I experienced DA: Inquisition, SP, your latest thread seemed like the place to post this:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/01/06/dragon-age-varric-publishing-real-novel/

Haha this is glorious.

I'm still experiencing Mass Effect (and earlier DA) through these LPs, I'm really enjoying the story so far - just waiting for it to get all poo poo like everyone has been saying!

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Javik was the breakthrough hit for Ike Amadi, who beforehand had done sport commercials IIRC (I looked him up back in 2012 ish) and some minor voices in games like Lord of the Rings War of the North. Nowadays he's also known for Halo 5, Shadow of War, Prey, and is basically DC's go-to guy for Atrocitus given how he's voiced him several times. He's also currently in Trollhunters.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

zxqv8 posted:

Yeah, I saw that in the general games DA thread. I said I'd buy a copy if they ever made one, so I will even if it's terrible (it will be terrible but hopefully in a good way).

e: there had better be a chapter called All This poo poo Is Weird and Miranda Raison needs to do the audiobook.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

e: there had better be a chapter called All This poo poo Is Weird and Miranda Raison needs to do the audiobook.

"That's a woman's name meaning it can't be Varric, so that had better be Cassandra's VA." (Checks) "Good."

grack
Jan 10, 2012

As long as she does it in character

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

grack posted:

As long as she does it in character
That pretty much goes without saying.

I have a couple of MP vids we recorded last week that I'm waiting on audio for (Aces are you still alive?). I'll get us out a regular update today.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Meet n' greet

Sorry about the delay, I got distracted by something shiny. Also sorry for sounding like a frog, I've been a bit sick.

We get to know our new Prothean friend. He's still a jerk, though I guess he has some justification. Liara's hopes get dashed about the Protheans, turns out they were actually warmongering imperialist assholes and the Prothean Empire worked a lot like Rome - conquered peoples ended up calling themselves Prothean no matter what race they were. Plus a bit of trivia - the weird statues we saw in ME1 and the flashback aren't Protheans, they're an older race that left behind some poo poo so they got built on top of. We can't take him out right away so we'll have to let him cool his heels for a mission or two.

Then we head on over to Palaven and it's pretty nasty. The planet is getting scorched. The mission opener shows a cruiser getting blown up and then a bunch of little fighters swarming a full-size reaper. I'm no general but this seems like a really loving stupid tactic. If the main cannons of a large cruiser don't make a dent not sure what the equivalent of gnats are supposed to do; maybe annoy the reaper to death. Anyway, we land on the moon and find out the Primarch is dead, long live the Primarch. Except everything's such a shitshow they're not sure who the next in command is so we have to go fix their cell network. Smashing a few husks to death accomplishes this task. I thought the Turian military was supposed to be good.

We'll finish up the mission in the next go round.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

See, if I were Shepard I would be just the most colossal rear end in a top hat to the Turians. "Aww, big tough Turian military getting their asses handed to them? Huh? What's your Primarch got to say about that OH HE'S A GIANT SMOKING HOLE IN THE GROUND TOO BAD."

I also noticed that you gave James the Particle Rifle, which SHOULD make him an unstoppable killing machine but he didn't activate his ammo power. Gameplay is better in ME3 than the first two games but the squad AI is still dumb as a brick.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
To be fair to James, I have incendiary ammo spec'd for teammates so when I set poo poo on fire, everyone sets poo poo on fire. I don't think the AI overrides it on their own, you have to do it manually.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

grack posted:

See, if I were Shepard I would be just the most colossal rear end in a top hat to the Turians. "Aww, big tough Turian military getting their asses handed to them? Huh? What's your Primarch got to say about that OH HE'S A GIANT SMOKING HOLE IN THE GROUND TOO BAD."

I also noticed that you gave James the Particle Rifle, which SHOULD make him an unstoppable killing machine but he didn't activate his ammo power. Gameplay is better in ME3 than the first two games but the squad AI is still dumb as a brick.

Considering the comparative achievements of the turian and human militaries so far, that might not be the best approach.

As bad as the Heirarchy is getting its rear end kicked, it at least managed to cost the Reapers a couple of capital ships in trade. Earth did not exactly manage that bargain.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nice of the husks to stop attacking when you got the message to head back. :)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Was it just me, or were all those husks human?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Husks only have one(human) character model. Though other reaperfied races do show up.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Jumping into this thead to say I'm enjoying this so far. I was an absolutely massive fan of ME and ME2 and I was disappointed though not mad at 3; it is a flawed product but I did have fun with it. Vanguard is still the best.

Kurieg posted:

Husks only have one(human) character model. Though other reaperfied races do show up.
The Asari ones are pretty clever, have a cool design and I think are a good addition to the enemy variety.
They can also fuckoff forever.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Zedd posted:

Jumping into this thead to say I'm enjoying this so far. I was an absolutely massive fan of ME and ME2 and I was disappointed though not mad at 3; it is a flawed product but I did have fun with it. Vanguard is still the best.

The Asari ones are pretty clever, have a cool design and I think are a good addition to the enemy variety.
They can also fuckoff forever.

I think that the massive amount of husks is supposed to reflect that humans have been the race that was hit the hardest and not laziness in enemy design, but it isn't well explained

Banshees are the worst in multiplayer, but I think they have the best level in the campaign. Brutes in singleplayer can go get hosed though, I had so much trouble killing them as an Adept

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

I think that the massive amount of husks is supposed to reflect that humans have been the race that was hit the hardest and not laziness in enemy design, but it isn't well explained

Banshees are the worst in multiplayer, but I think they have the best level in the campaign. Brutes in singleplayer can go get hosed though, I had so much trouble killing them as an Adept

Anything with a Sync Kill Can go gently caress itself in Multiplayer. Oh you lost some packets? Die in a tire fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Yeah, the enemy sync kills are really a poo poo idea from the beginning and it mystifies me why the gently caress Bioware thought it was a good idea to keep it even in Andromeda.