Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Honestly it does not look terrible. If they had just released this game in the fox engine under a different name then i think people would be way more hype for it. I would kill for any other survival/zombie killing sims to have decent controls like this does at the very least!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Yeah it's working and finding the Options screen to tweak the camera was a pain (hold, don't press, the left side of the PS4 touchpad) and I have nooooooooooo idea what I'm doing with the crafting yet.

I don't think I like the melee combat just yet, either.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Grey Fox posted:

Yeah it's working and finding the Options screen to tweak the camera was a pain (hold, don't press, the left side of the PS4 touchpad) and I have nooooooooooo idea what I'm doing with the crafting yet.

I don't think I like the melee combat just yet, either.

The engine just doesn't seem well-suited for swinging a machete around. Which is a shame because it does a lot of things really well, just not this.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Armstrong is seriously in contention for best goddamn final boss ever in a videogame.

I was playing MGSR and I stopped because it felt like a ripoff of vanquished...then I saw Armstrong and knew I had to finish the game. Armstrong is such a dick and it feels sooooo good to kill him

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Watching a dude streaming it, looks real fun. Not sure I'll get it though cause it's the equivalent of 60 bucks in both my Steam and my GMG.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

AkumaHokoru posted:

I was playing MGSR and I stopped because it felt like a ripoff of vanquished...then I saw Armstrong and knew I had to finish the game. Armstrong is such a dick and it feels sooooo good to kill him

It feels like a rip off of Vanquished because it's made by the same people.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

David D. Davidson posted:

It feels like a rip off of Vanquished because it's made by the same people.

Yeah I eventually learned that too but that was what made me stop

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm watching that 40 minute vid and don't have any big opinions on it at the moment, but that sickness mechanic looks really annoying. I don't want to hear my guy moaning and throwing up for this long.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Momomo posted:

I'm watching that 40 minute vid and don't have any big opinions on it at the moment, but that sickness mechanic looks really annoying. I don't want to hear my guy moaning and throwing up for this long.

Is that the Polygon video? The iDroid even showed a big as "DON'T DRINK THIS YOU'LL DIE" warning before he cranked down that refreshing bottle of cholera. I'm pretty sure he HAD clean water in his inventory since he picked some up off that one table :arghfist::barf:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/YAMA_RD/status/954021226342567936

:aaaaa:

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I think they're going for the right tone

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Metal Gear game confirmed.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I'm burning through styptic faster than I'm finding alcohol to craft it...

Online performance is excellent and not what I expected.

Grey Fox fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 19, 2018

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I'm downloading it because aside from some Pesky Problems, it looks actually solid.

What am I in for, how do I get cholera into and out of my butthole

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I think that's a problem that both causes and solves itself

E: Upon reviewing the trailer again, and knowing ray shows up, I wonder if Dr. Glasses is supposed to be Sigint/Darpa Chief? He'd still be alive at this point in time. I am confused by the burial scene at the beginning. I wonder if that ties into the mother base epidemic somehow.

Quicksilver6 fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jan 19, 2018

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Can you still use CQC? Poking things with a stick seems lame compared to hip tossing zombies.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
I hosed up playing the tower defense section with some online randos and went full range combat. Ran out of bullets within a minute, and those are tough to craft.

Is the open world co-op in the beta at all, or is it mostly tower defense missions?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Brutakas posted:

Can you still use CQC? Poking things with a stick seems lame compared to hip tossing zombies.
CQC is super useful on harder enemies. The usual backstab stuff you can use right off the bat, but some of them (parry, toss, stomp while down, leg sweep) need skill points, which are easy to buy after a match.

Backstabs kill Bombers and Detonators without an explosion, and you can loot the Detonators afterward. Armored enemies lose their helmets.

And Beta is missions only, so no open world.

GuidoAnchovies
Oct 27, 2005

Im'a get ya!

Brutakas posted:

One of the skills that can be unlocked is called CQC combat or something like that. I haven't used it but from the description it seems like R2 is used as a counter button against incoming attacks that lets you choose which direction to throw the opponent.

Seems like the different "classes" are going to have different skills for weapons and that's what might actually make the game fun to play in the full game. As an example in the demo, the spear has a few upgrades including a charge attack and a sprinting attack that make combat a bit more varied but still doesn't have me sold on the price tag.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I'm honestly finding it a little clunky, which is odd because I had no issues with MGSV. The UI feels a little overwhelming as well. I'm going to give it some more time to win me over, though. It seems like it'll be okay?

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I actually really like this, and I wasn't expecting that. There's a good amount of strategy cause bullets aren't super easy to come by so you don't want to waste your 5.56 ammo if you can help it since gunpowder is fairly rare (at least early on). The crafting is interesting and once you get used to the distances you should be at, the spear isn't too bad. Especially once you get the dodge ability, get that first.

Downsides: You have to craft bullets one at a time for some god drat reason.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I actually really like this, and I wasn't expecting that. There's a good amount of strategy cause bullets aren't super easy to come by so you don't want to waste your 5.56 ammo if you can help it since gunpowder is fairly rare (at least early on). The crafting is interesting and once you get used to the distances you should be at, the spear isn't too bad. Especially once you get the dodge ability, get that first.

Downsides: You have to craft bullets one at a time for some god drat reason.

Fingers crossed the main game allows for stack crafting. Or something similar in the Skills page.

As an aside, how the gently caress do I manage boomers? They scream long range option but good luck finding bullets on that mission.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought this today.

You can zip up the suit but the boobs are squishy. Weeeeeird.

I started playing the HD Collection on the Vita and jesus gently caress is my muscle memory for getting through the Tanker section a bit spooky.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 20, 2018

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

widespread posted:

Fingers crossed the main game allows for stack crafting. Or something similar in the Skills page.

As an aside, how the gently caress do I manage boomers? They scream long range option but good luck finding bullets on that mission.

They seem to have wicked tunnel vision, I've had fair success in just hiding around a corner and backstabbing them as they run past. I even jogged right up to them without them turning around.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

widespread posted:

They and the armored guys seem to be weak in the knees. I'm not sure if crits are semi random or what, but I was getting yellow damage numbers popping up when I'd shoot them with bullets in the legs. The boomers also bend over forward significantly when that happens and you can see a glowing pink spot on the top of their head. I'm not at home to be able to test it myself, but I'm thinking that if you are meleeing them you can get their legs to stun them then smack the weak spot?

Also protip: You don't get a penalty for the digger being destroyed, you keep everything you earned from that point and still get end of round bonuses for the tier you earned. You do get further bonuses for successfully completing the mission, however. So if you're overwhelmed on a wave just keep yourself alive cause you don't get poo poo if you die. All the enemies you'll encounter in that digger mission will prioritize the digger instead of you as long as you're even remotely out of their way.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

PringleCreamEgg posted:

They and the armored guys seem to be weak in the knees. I'm not sure if crits are semi random or what, but I was getting yellow damage numbers popping up when I'd shoot them with bullets in the legs. The boomers also bend over forward significantly when that happens and you can see a glowing pink spot on the top of their head. I'm not at home to be able to test it myself, but I'm thinking that if you are meleeing them you can get their legs to stun them then smack the weak spot?

Also protip: You don't get a penalty for the digger being destroyed, you keep everything you earned from that point and still get end of round bonuses for the tier you earned. You do get further bonuses for successfully completing the mission, however. So if you're overwhelmed on a wave just keep yourself alive cause you don't get poo poo if you die. All the enemies you'll encounter in that digger mission will prioritize the digger instead of you as long as you're even remotely out of their way.

Danaru posted:

They seem to have wicked tunnel vision, I've had fair success in just hiding around a corner and backstabbing them as they run past. I even jogged right up to them without them turning around.

Thanks for the advice. I also found forcing a backstab scenario with them works as well (assuming I'm leveled enough to one-shot them with said stab).

And then I went to a daily because I wanted to try co-op. I was way underleveled as it seems.

But you don't need levels when you got a walker. Which admittedly are pretty fragile. Or they need a health meter.

Fake Edit: Also I finally beat the Easy mission via Request Withdrawal. This was before I noticed the no penalty on destroyed digger thingy.

bieber the creator
Sep 24, 2003

craving wonton soup irl
Anybody who buys this game is a fuckin scab

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Taintrunner posted:

I bought this today.

You can zip up the suit but the boobs are squishy. Weeeeeird.

I started playing the HD Collection on the Vita and jesus gently caress is my muscle memory for getting through the Tanker section a bit spooky.
Does that say 1/4th scale? Is she like... a foot and a half tall or whatever? That's awesome.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Does that say 1/4th scale? Is she like... a foot and a half tall or whatever? That's awesome.

I think it's 12 inches. Last I saw it was $1000 on Amazon

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
Is The Boss only 4' tall? What an image.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

What's the deal with the side mission rewards in Survive? They're easy to complete but I don't seem to get or know how to use the rewards.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Vadun posted:

What's the deal with the side mission rewards in Survive? They're easy to complete but I don't seem to get or know how to use the rewards.

The ammo crate reward is a workbench looking thing with a bullet symbol over it that shows up at your base camp, it contains two free bullet restocks when you interact with it. The walker gear reward is literally "get in the walker". I don't know about any other ones.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I played survive for 30 seconds and stopped because they changed controls from MGSV for absolutely no reason.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Switched.on posted:

Is The Boss only 4' tall? What an image.
I actually debated the phrase "foot and a half" for a solid few seconds, because she's like, about Big Boss's height, but I think canonically he's kinda short, but I don't really remember, and I didn't want to look it up so I shrugged and went with "sure she's six feet tall now, close enough, they'll know what I mean"

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Through various sources I have compiled the following bio stats, where they have got the stats from I'm unsure however:

Solid Snake was 178cm in 1999. This was cited from Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake - User's Manual, Konami Corporation (1990).

Interestingly he is also stated as 182cm from 2005-2014. This is cited from The Mk.II displays this information on-screen in-game and also the Japanese Konami website

Liquid Snake is 183cm cited from Konami

Solidus Snake doesn't list a height I'm afraid. I can't find anything from any notable sources.

Big Boss is 192cm cited from Konami entry for Big Boss, but also stated as 180cm for 1999 cited from the same user manual as the 178cm entry for Solid Snake.

So really, being cloned seemed to f*ck poo poo up and make them grow a few inches between games. Big Boss grew 12cm between beginning of the series to the end, and he wasn't even a clone.

https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/76462/how-did-the-three-clones-of-big-boss-compare-when-it-came-to-height

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Am I missing something because that model says it's 1/6th scale.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

"He walked into the room, went up to the whiteboard, and wrote VANQUISH. He paused, and a moment later, wrote ED."

bieber the creator
Sep 24, 2003

craving wonton soup irl
We finally have a metal gear game where you just walk around picking up garbage trash off the floor like an animal :wal:

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Wait, we weren't supposed to go through all the games prone checking for land mines

Oh poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

precision posted:

"He walked into the room, went up to the whiteboard, and wrote VANQUISH. He paused, and a moment later, wrote ED."