Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Funzo posted:

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Thanks!
On the other hand, thanks to this thread I know to go down a few blocks and hit Cafe Patachou for breakfast.

Do they have pepper? Because

OH MY GOD

THE PEOPLE OF INDIANA

HAVE NEVER HEARD OF A SPICE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Deviant posted:

OH MY GOD

THE PEOPLE OF INDIANA

But Spiceland!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiceland,_Indiana

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I'm apparently staying in an AirBNB with multiple kitchens this year, which means a good chance to bring the dang spice myself.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

theironjef posted:

I'm apparently staying in an AirBNB with multiple kitchens this year, which means a good chance to bring the dang spice myself.

The System Mastery crew will be at Gencon?!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

The System Mastery crew will be at Gencon?!

Yep, first time. We're staying with RPG Academy but appearing on behalf (hah we count as personalities) of One Shot.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

So I got a skywalk hotel this year, for the first time ever. Definitely looking forward to walking to the con in a few minutes instead of taking an uber twice a day from a gazillion miles away.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Deviant posted:

OH MY GOD

THE PEOPLE OF INDIANA

This was my only real complaint about last year. Best con I've ever been to, but drat, even the salsa was bland and a little buttery.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

theironjef posted:

Yep, first time. We're staying with RPG Academy but appearing on behalf (hah we count as personalities) of One Shot.

I thought the micro pig would come first.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I thought the micro pig would come first.

Settling for the System Mastery baby.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

OB_Juan posted:

This was my only real complaint about last year. Best con I've ever been to, but drat, even the salsa was bland and a little buttery.
WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT SALSA MAN WITH A SPANISH NAME wait oh it is a Star Wars pun now I am torn about your comment

There are absolutely places in the Con Zone where you should not eat if you actually enjoy the taste of flavors. But Patachou is aces, and there are plenty of other solid choices too (I can only vouch for about 1/4 of the places in the original post though), even with everyone's beloved Haveli being shut down for the crime of being too interesting.

Mods please change every other poster's nickname to Buttery Salsa

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
What are any of you doing eating things at Gen Con anyway? If you are consuming anything it should only be shots (and those only on Wednesday), and you should subsist the rest of the time on the tears of other games you are trouncing in games all week.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Got a hotel in the north campus, which I've never been to. I picked a hotel right near the interstate, figuring that'd be better than as-the-crow-flies shorter distance. How is Lyft's presence in Indy? I used Uber last time but hate supporting them. Also when's a good time to buy plane tickets?

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Clanpot Shake posted:

How is Lyft's presence in Indy? I used Uber last time but hate supporting them.
I used Lyft once last year, seemed fine.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
I think a lot of the drivers for one drive for the other. I live in Indy and switched to Lyft and its basically the same experience. I think one time Uber's surge pricing dropped faster than Lyfts is maybe the most noticeable difference Ive had.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

nesbit37 posted:

What are any of you doing eating things at Gen Con anyway? If you are consuming anything it should only be shots (and those only on Wednesday), and you should subsist the rest of the time on the tears of other games you are trouncing in games all week.

Considering my winrate so far, I need raw materials to manufacture tears from.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Atomicated posted:

I think a lot of the drivers for one drive for the other. I live in Indy and switched to Lyft and its basically the same experience. I think one time Uber's surge pricing dropped faster than Lyfts is maybe the most noticeable difference Ive had.

Most drivers will have two phones, you can't be logged into both apps at the same time, and pick up passengers for both because it's the only way to make it worthwhile.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Had 4pm slot.

Got the same hotel we've got the past two years. Wydham West by the airport. It's alright, free parking, decent breakfast buffet. Has a bar and bistro. Ran about $770 for 5 nights all said and done. Probably going to be our last year going and switching to Origins from here on out, but one last hurrah.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Philthy no

Philthy why would you do that to yourself

O.K. granted if you just go to Gen Con to play board games and/or wargames then I totally get it, they are functionally interchangeable for certain types of people (other than Gen Con being way more difficult to get good accommodations for, naturally).

But otherwise... GROUP HUG

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I guess I did gencon wrong because that describes me and my approach to gencon last time :ohdear:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
No, doing GenCon wrong involves spending all of your time in the Auction rather than, you know, actually playing games.

Right, Doc? :allears:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Any goons planning to run rpg events? I like using Gencon to play systems I don't know/haven't played but I don't have a great track record with randoms. If I get in on an event run by one of you I can at least shame you as a creepy GM

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I'm running an XCrawl game (in the Dungeon World system) where a dragon called Guy Firei DJ's a massive Flavourtown themed death-dungeon with the players competing for a chance to win an all expenses paid trip to the Flavourtown resort.

e; in true GenCon tradition I will inevitably run this again for way too many of you and do it high-lethality drop-in drop-

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Still deciding what to run. I'm thinking of doing a few Call of Cthulhu sessions. Something introductory, scary, and probably lethal.

I lucked out with the lottery, staying at the Omni again this year. I like the old-fashioned feel. A few years back I ran a midnight Cthulhu game in the basement of that place and scared the poo poo out of my group. Felt good.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Len posted:

Any goons planning to run rpg events? I like using Gencon to play systems I don't know/haven't played but I don't have a great track record with randoms. If I get in on an event run by one of you I can at least shame you as a creepy GM

We're definitely going to run one or two. Probably either a joke run through Haven: City of Violence, a Blimpleggers Game (prohibition bootlegging of magic potions using blimps), or something. Plus a bunch of Doctor Magnethands at the parties we end up at.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Clanpot Shake posted:

I guess I did gencon wrong because that describes me and my approach to gencon last time :ohdear:
Gasp

I suppose that is a way to do it. I feel the ambiance is so utterly fantastic that doing anything there is automatically more fun.

Ilor posted:

No, doing GenCon wrong involves spending all of your time in the Auction rather than, you know, actually playing games.

Right, Doc? :allears:
GASP

I admit I have gone overboard with the Auction in the past. I felt like I owed it to them to actually bust my rear end when I first started volunteering. And, well, before that I sat there all the time buying things. But since I now hate material possessions and my auctioneering spot seems safe clearly I am free to do more things now!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

theironjef posted:

We're definitely going to run one or two. Probably either a joke run through Haven: City of Violence, a Blimpleggers Game (prohibition bootlegging of magic potions using blimps), or something. Plus a bunch of Doctor Magnethands at the parties we end up at.

Ooh, I want to get some of that sweet Haven action :swoon:

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Would also like to play many RPGs that I don't normally get to play. Will gladly* play in bars. Mostly I want to meet goons. Will have non goon friends in tow though.

*prefer

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

WerrWaaa posted:

Would also like to play many RPGs that I don't normally get to play. Will gladly* play in bars. Mostly I want to meet goons. Will have non goon friends in tow though.

*prefer

This is me this year. Normally I go down with a bunch of friends but this year it's me and one guy who doesn't do RPGs. So while he's off playing Magic I'm planning to spend time trying to get in in goon games of stuff. I might even make shots Wednesday this year. Not 100% on that though

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Everyone please eat breakfast at Maxine's chicken and waffles. It's become one of the things I look forward to the most at every Gen Con.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Elephant Ambush posted:

Everyone please eat breakfast at Maxine's chicken and waffles. It's become one of the things I look forward to the most at every Gen Con.

I followed the threads advice and ate at Haveli last year for the first time, so I'm apparently the touch of death and will avoid all recommendations in the future.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
drat you, Klungaaaaaaar! :argh:

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I plan on eating Haveli and Island Noodles exclusively this year.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Slandible posted:

I plan on eating Haveli and Island Noodles exclusively this year.

I think you're going to get sick of those noodles pretty quick with Haveli being closed and all.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

RIP Haveli, taken too soon, gone but not forgotten.

ok with that over where else can we get indian food in downtown Indy?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

There's India Garden, which is maybe twice as far as Haveli's was. And a placed called Spice Box in the City Market.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Haystack posted:

There's India Garden, which is maybe twice as far as Haveli's was. And a placed called Spice Box in the City Market.

I can vouch for India Garden. The tapas restart next door to it is really awesome too.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I do loves me some tapas...

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Well poo poo. I just looked up the tapas place and it closed :( :rip:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I blame Mike Pence for all of this, just so y'all know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Anyone have any tips of convincing the fiancee into getting a Gencon wedding? I mean I'll already be there, everyone I want to invite will already be there, and who doesn't want an obese man dressed as slave Leia in all the wedding pictures?