Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah yeah, double post

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1018164638708584453?s=19

Awww

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1018165576374636544?s=19

Wuh?! For nick spencer?? :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Covok posted:

I've been reading some of the old Stan Lee Steve ditko Spider-Man stuff. One of the weird things on noticing is that most of Spider-Man's core Rogues gallery were introduced within the first 10 issues. That really doesn't happen anymore. Consider a lot of the newer characters like Kamala Khan and Robbie Reyes and Miles Morales. Try to imagine the Rogues gallery. Kamala Khan has like for villains and that's after 50 issues and some of them only appeared once.

I think this goes back to something discussed earlier, how individual comics are allowed to not tell a complete story now. Back in the day, they had to come up with new villains all the time, because almost every single issue had to have the hero encountering and defeating an enemy. Nowadays, god forbid they complete a story in less than six issues.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I read the first six issues of New Avengers, it told one story over all those issues, and in the end the bad guy was, uhhh... I think it was some kind of demon ghost? That Agamotto killed? Or something? I gotta be honest, they did a bunch of fakeouts about what it was so by the end I didn't really care.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think this goes back to something discussed earlier, how individual comics are allowed to not tell a complete story now. Back in the day, they had to come up with new villains all the time, because almost every single issue had to have the hero encountering and defeating an enemy. Nowadays, god forbid they complete a story in less than six issues.

I feel like a lot of people complain about this and have for years and I just couldn’t disagree more. While there’s charm and fun in one and done stories (I love anthology titles to death and miss them) I think for single character/team books I prefer the longer arcs by a large margin. For the same reason I like serialized TV over procedurals. Procedural Cop/Lawyer/Doctor shows are the same things as those era of comics. A new story every week with the same main characters doing basically the same things each week. And people seem to not like those for that very reason and are gravitating more to serialized TV because the story continues episode to episode.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

X-O posted:

I feel like a lot of people complain about this and have for years and I just couldn’t disagree more. While there’s charm and fun in one and done stories (I love anthology titles to death and miss them) I think for single character/team books I prefer the longer arcs by a large margin. For the same reason I like serialized TV over procedurals. Procedural Cop/Lawyer/Doctor shows are the same things as those era of comics. A new story every week with the same main characters doing basically the same things each week. And people seem to not like those for that very reason and are gravitating more to serialized TV because the story continues episode to episode.

I'm talking specifically about villains. When every issue has to be a complete story, every issue is a chance to introduce a new villain. Now every six issues tell a story, so every sixth issue is a chance to introduce a new villain

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm talking specifically about villains. When every issue has to be a complete story, every issue is a chance to introduce a new villain. Now every six issues tell a story, so every sixth issue is a chance to introduce a new villain

We're in an era where some of the bigger exclusive writers might be tempted to introduce new ideas into their books. But honestly what incentive does a creator have to go and create characters they have no rights to? Also as much as we all think people want new and different things, the reality is they don't. They want to see Superman against Lex Luthor and Batman against Joker for the millionth time. They don't care about the newest baddest creation of the month that they market as "seriously this time guys it's his greatest threat!" only to be forgotten when the next writer takes over because nobody but the writer that created him cared about that guy.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Also if you've got a new-new idea, why do it in a Batman or Spider-Man comic when you could just go do it and own it at Image or etc.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
wanting a new villain every issue is a big loving ask

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

but in my mangas

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
There's a lot that could be changed in comic book production but it's such a niche market that it's not worth it. I just buy TPBs and leave at it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

These are the roads that lead us to Paste Pot Pete and 8-Ball.

Actually you know what. Considering 8-Ball is the greatest villain creation of all time I guess let's do it. New villains in every single issue. The dumber the better.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Coincidentally this is why I stopped watching most TV shows, some go several episodes, maybe even an entire season, without introducing a new bad guy.

Barney Miller would arrest at LEAST two dudes an episode, I tried watching Mad Men and whoops, Peggy is sad in the pilot. Five episodes later she's still fukken sad and no one has been arrested at all get it together Mad Men.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My absolute least favourite Marvel d-list (which admittedly might be being a trifle over-generous) villains are Salem's Seven. I don't know, there's just nothing about them I like.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

My least favorite villain is Scourge because his backstory gives me a genuine headache. Ow! I tried to think about it again.

site posted:

At least every 5 issue arc would be nice.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Wheat Loaf posted:

My absolute least favourite Marvel d-list (which admittedly might be being a trifle over-generous) villains are Salem's Seven. I don't know, there's just nothing bout them I like.
Sincere question as I only know them from OHOTMUDE and the Vision and Scarlet Witch mini-series but have they actually appeared in a meaningful way in the past thirty years? I agree they're turds but it's a deep cut to hate on.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I thought they appeared mostly in ghost Rider/sons if midnight stuff, and my subconscious is telling they were in a Deadpool mini maybe? But it's too drat hot to bother checking

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't particularly dislike the Batroc Brigade but Machete has died like 7 times and no one ever brings it up.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Scaramouche posted:

I thought they appeared mostly in ghost Rider/sons if midnight stuff, and my subconscious is telling they were in a Deadpool mini maybe? But it's too drat hot to bother checking
Went ahead and looked it up, it looks like they appeared in the original Fantastic Four arc in 1980, then in the 1985 Vision and Scarlet Witch mini where they died, then in a Deadpool Wizard Pack-In One Shot in 1997 where they were cloned and re-killed, then were brought back to life at the tail end of RAS's MK Four series, only to pop up again for an issue of a New Warriors relaunch in 2014 where the were good guys. Not including handbooks/pin-ups/one-panel flashbacks they've appeared about a dozen times over the course of 38 years.

Wheat Loaf wasn't loving around calling them D-List.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Edge & Christian posted:

Coincidentally this is why I stopped watching most TV shows, some go several episodes, maybe even an entire season, without introducing a new bad guy.

Barney Miller would arrest at LEAST two dudes an episode, I tried watching Mad Men and whoops, Peggy is sad in the pilot. Five episodes later she's still fukken sad and no one has been arrested at all get it together Mad Men.

Hey man, like I said if going back to a new villain every issue gets us something comparable to

Well then I'm all for it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Edge & Christian posted:

I mean... unironically this. I don’t want to watch 20 hours of TV to get a story. I want to be able to just watch a random episode in the middle of the second season and have a story with a beginning, middle, and end. Procedurals that can tell an ongoing narrative over the course of a season while still having one and done shows are great.

There ought to be a place for both in comics. There are so many comics being produced that I’m sure there are still comics in this style, but I have a hard time thinking of any right now. Almost everything I read is telling a longer form story.

Comics being so short and so decompressed makes this difficult of course.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

X-O posted:

These are the roads that lead us to Paste Pot Pete and 8-Ball.

I like that the villians you use actually rule.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Not every procedural can be person of interest

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Soonmot posted:

Not every procedural can be person of interest

Yeah some have leads that can act and have a personality!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Jordan7hm posted:

I mean... unironically this. I don’t want to watch 20 hours of TV to get a story. I want to be able to just watch a random episode in the middle of the second season and have a story with a beginning, middle, and end. Procedurals that can tell an ongoing narrative over the course of a season while still having one and done shows are great.

There ought to be a place for both in comics. There are so many comics being produced that I’m sure there are still comics in this style, but I have a hard time thinking of any right now. Almost everything I read is telling a longer form story.

Comics being so short and so decompressed makes this difficult of course.

That might've also been a better dig if an entire TV show Season didn't air around the same course as a 6 issues comic book arc, plus the fact that now you can pick and watch whatever kind you prefer on your favorite streaming website.

I thought Marvel Unlimited was the best option for catching up on comics but the interface was pretty clunky when I tried it. I just checked it and they're having a little sale of One Month for 2c so I might as well try it again.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

site posted:

Who asked for that? I said single story issues allow for there to be a new villain every issue, not that they require it. I'd point to the Panther's Rage run of Black Panther. One issue would introduce hosed-up face snake guy, and then a few issues later it could be "hosed-up face snake guy strikes back!" or "Black Panther joins forces with hosed-up face snake guy against giant hosed-up head guy!"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alaois posted:

but in my mangas

manga is actually way further away from a single story per issue than American comics are now, and has been for decades I can't imagine a manga getting through an entire baseball game in a single issue, unless it was just a joke.

But most manga series come out weekly, and in big magazines with other series, so it's different.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

Procedurals that can tell an ongoing narrative over the course of a season while still having one and done shows are great.

I was disappointed that the Marvel Netflix shows didn't try for this at all, despite three out of the four Defenders having setups that were perfect for one and done episodes. it just feels monotonous when every episode is a chunk of a thirteen hour long movie.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Daredevil S1 felt like that, he would take out different henchmen along the way but all to hurt the Kingpin.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edge & Christian posted:

Sincere question as I only know them from OHOTMUDE and the Vision and Scarlet Witch mini-series but have they actually appeared in a meaningful way in the past thirty years? I agree they're turds but it's a deep cut to hate on.

They showed up in that Kurt Busiek Avengers annual that re-introduced Patsy Walker as Hellcat.

One on hand, Len Wein was one of very few guys who seemed to be creating all these new characters at Marvel in the 70s before Shooter introduced a royalty system, but they're definitely not inspired work, and I think Pérez must have been having an off-day when he designed them.

I don't know, I just really dislike them. As far as FF bad guys go, even the likes of Janus the Nega-Man (probably my second least favourite Lee/Kirby FF villain after Prester John), Overmind, Devos the Devastator, Paibok the Power-Skrull and Occulus (POWER INCARNATE!) are better than Salem's Seven.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Noelle Stevenson and Molly Ostertag (artist on "Strong Female Protagonist") are engaged.

https://twitter.com/Gingerhazing/status/1018252632949907456

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Well, Atlanta Comic Con was fun right up until some rough food poisoning hit me shortly after getting to the con today.

I went from starting to feel sick to my stomach to hard, head-spinning dizziness and nausea, to vomiting like Bishop at the end of Aliens (only without the excuse of being literally ripped in half).

I wouldn't be surprised if my fat rear end puking isn't on somebody's social media post about the Con because a ton of people saw it happen.

If you ever stay at the Marriot that is .4 miles from the World Congress Center in Atlanta, don't eat their hot breakfast (specifically the eggs, all I had was a waffle & eggs with some water, and I don't think the waffle did that).

I never got around to see Ty Templeton, goon that suggested it. Sorry.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 15, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Somewhat unrelated, but re-reading Goodbody's posts I was reminded of how Morrison's Batman begins with Bruce arresting the Joker and with everyone commenting that he got all the major players of Gotham down and things should be calm for a while, which is the cue for the new or forgotten villains to chime in.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Remember Orca from Batman. That is the risk you run when you try to create a new villain. Be careful what you wish for.
Speaking of new villain is there a reason Hush is considered way up there as a Batman villain?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Madkal posted:

Remember Orca from Batman. That is the risk you run when you try to create a new villain. Be careful what you wish for.
Speaking of new villain is there a reason Hush is considered way up there as a Batman villain?
He knows the secret identity but doesn’t spread it around to the other baddies, and he’s done himself up to look exactly like Bruce Wayne. You can do a lot with that in ways that other villains can’t.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Madkal posted:

Hush is a really popular book.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Madkal posted:

Because despite being bad he was introduced in a bestselling comic written by the screenwriter of Teen Wolf and drawn by the future publisher of DC

It doesn't matter that the comic is awful

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 18, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Fire 10 tablets are $100 today, I'm gonna grab one to read comics on the crapper.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Fire 10 tablets are $100 today, I'm gonna grab one to read comics on the crapper.

Get a bluetooth speaker and use it to watch tv while taking a shower, you just need a gallon sized ziplock bag for the tablet.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I picked up the second Sleeper trade for cheap and thought it was pretty fun--where would you guys say the series ranks in terms of Brubaker's career output?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Better than his Batman and X-Men, probably better than Lowlife. Worse than just about everything else. I have his Authority run but haven’t read it yet, so exclude that from the rankings. Maybe better than Prez or some of his other one shots I guess. Depends how much you like shorter standalone stuff.

He’s like my favourite writer though. His indie work since leaving Marvel (and stuff like Criminal prior) has been superb. His Daredevil and Captain America are high water marks for both characters.

e: meant to say Lowlife not Losers. And actually no, definitely better than lowlife. I was thinking of Deadenders, which I really like, but which is a bit looser than the stuff he’s done in the years since.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 19, 2018

• Locked thread