Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Azran posted:

I was told Lancer was at least initially a Shadow of the Demon Lord hack. How different is it nowadays? Based on a character generator I saw a few pages ago, I'd say 'very' looks like a plausible answer to my question.

Pretty much the only thing they have in common is the core resolution mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

In space, no one can hear Yorkies.

Love this illustration.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Time for another art update, only it's an actual update and not a brand new mech. A while back Tom said that while he liked the art for the Sherman that he'd done, he felt it was a bit stiff and that he also hadn't quite zeroed in on the Harrison Armory aesthetic yet (the Sherman being the first HA mech that he'd done), so he said that at some point he wanted to revisit it to both update its stylings as well as make it look a bit more like a descendant of the Genghis, the original mech that HA pioneered which kicked off the whole "let's make giant robots" thing in the first place. For reference, this is the original Sherman art:

and this is the Genghis:

And now here's the updated Sherman:

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
I won't pretend I won't miss the old chunky modem Sherman, but the new Sherman has that intense pseudo-organic not-quite-a-person vibe that makes Tom's mech art so consistently fantastic.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Kai Tave posted:

And now here's the updated Sherman:

It's got a wee coat!

I like this as a mech design, but I think I'll always have a soft spot for OG Lazerface

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

PoultryGeist posted:

It's got a wee coat!

I like this as a mech design, but I think I'll always have a soft spot for OG Lazerface

I like to think both versions of the Sherman exist and they're just production variations.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Kai Tave posted:

I like to think both versions of the Sherman exist and they're just production variations.

It would be right up HA's alley to produce cover variants: "order your holograph-surfaced BARBAROSSA soon, licenses are limited!"

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah, I prefer the old version too - it was much more boxy utilitarian combat vehicle, and less over-engineered arcane power armour. Also, the coat is dumb. :colbert:

It's a shame that the newer HA stuff is closer to the style for the other mechs - it was cooler when each manufacturer looked like they came from different games entirely.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lemon-Lime posted:

Also, the coat is dumb. :colbert:

You're dumb. :colbert:

Meanwhile, the first part of the field guide to the Baronies is out in draft form.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The one on the left is the Pilot, right?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

The Lone Badger posted:

The one on the left is the Pilot, right?

Correct.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

A totally normal Manticore pilot.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Kai Tave posted:

A totally normal Manticore pilot.

How do they deal with doors!!??

e: cool and stylish as hell, but the above was literally my first thought.

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 31, 2019

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

PoultryGeist posted:

How do they deal with doors!!??

e: cool and stylish as hell, but the above was literally my first thought.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

...point taken

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Even Harrison Armory needs science nerds to do science things.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

"Hey Bob, minotaurs and centaurs are like the same thing, right?"

"Hell if I know, this Monster Manual's missing half its pictures."

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

Even Harrison Armory needs science nerds to do science things.

Judging by the thickness of the armor and the expression on his face despite it, the flora on that planet is hilariously dangerous.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

The Lone Badger posted:

Judging by the thickness of the armor and the expression on his face despite it, the flora on that planet is hilariously dangerous.

Also he's packing a gun, so you're probably right.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Kai Tave posted:

"Hey Bob, minotaurs and centaurs are like the same thing, right?"

"Hell if I know, this Monster Manual's missing half its pictures."

Bob then began chanting about The Sunlight-in-Darkness and bleeding from his gums. Just another day at Paracasualties LLC...

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Two mechs in as many days, Tom's a machine. Also according to him the weapon the Monarch is carrying, though unlabeled in the image, is a GMS RPG launcher.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
UT99's rocket launcher spirit lives on. :woop:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
That’s the most mecha-rear end mech design so far, and it’s super good that the Smith-Shimano missile robot looks pretty similar to a Valkyrie.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

Also he's packing a gun, so you're probably right.

Flora, not fauna. Guns won't help you.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

The Lone Badger posted:

Flora, not fauna. Guns won't help you.

YOu've alReady INHaled the sPoreS

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Mr. Maltose posted:

That’s the most mecha-rear end mech design so far

Agreed.

Also, what the hell, Tom! He's behind schedule on K6BD, and he's over here doodling mechs?!

(You do whatever you gooddamn want, Abaddon)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

CitizenKeen posted:

Agreed.

Also, what the hell, Tom! He's behind schedule on K6BD, and he's over here doodling mechs?!

(You do whatever you gooddamn want, Abaddon)

You might be onto something because HEY HOW'D YOU LIKE ANOTHER MECH?

The Nelson on the cover of the book (yeah that's a Nelson if you didn't know) was the very first mech Tom ever drew for the game. Two years later, here's the revisited version. Note that the Pneumatic Hammer isn't a Nelson licensed system, it's part of the Tortuga package, but mechs in Lancer are customizable and Tom wanted to give it a pilebunker arm.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Kai Tave posted:

You might be onto something because HEY HOW'D YOU LIKE ANOTHER MECH?

The Nelson on the cover of the book (yeah that's a Nelson if you didn't know) was the very first mech Tom ever drew for the game. Two years later, here's the revisited version. Note that the Pneumatic Hammer isn't a Nelson licensed system, it's part of the Tortuga package, but mechs in Lancer are customizable and Tom wanted to give it a pilebunker arm.

The original for comparison. I love how its totally the same, just with rough draft/sketch vs. final version vibes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I like the original way more than the one that looks like a knight. :(

If he removes the heraldic stuff from the old one and then finishes it, it would make a pretty good candidate for a "the same mech can look totally different depending on how it is customised by its pilot" blurb somewhere in the book.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Feb 28, 2019

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

I like the original way more than the one that looks like a knight. :(

Yeah I dig the sort of 'russian spacesuit' aesthetic of the original.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
i love the ips-northstar aesthetic so much, it's probably illegal in alabama

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
There's just seven mechs left to do now, which is pretty wild when you consider that at one point Tom was like "eh maybe I'll do a couple but I don't think I can do them all." The last IPS-N mech to go is the Lancaster, then the Dusk Wing and Death's Head, Manticore and Hydra, and Saladin and Iskander.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I prefer the original's head, but everything else is a straight upgrade for me.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I liked the "badly-patched-back-together and salvaged from a half dozen different mechs" aesthetic of the original.

e; vvv that's why I said he should have both in the book as an example of how cosmetic stuff can totally change the aesthetic of a mech even if it's exactly the same model.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 28, 2019

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Hot take: i like both and they can both exist at the same time as the universe is a large place.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Hey guess what nerds? The new 1.8.5 edition is out. This is being considered a pre-release beta for the upcoming Kickstarter which, according to Tom, may be happening as early as the end of next month or start of April.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kai Tave posted:

Hey guess what nerds? The new 1.8.5 edition is out. This is being considered a pre-release beta for the upcoming Kickstarter which, according to Tom, may be happening as early as the end of next month or start of April.

Nelson + hunter just starts getting silly. Start tossing around fold knives to make it extra funny.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
So how do License Levels...work? If someone picks one LL in IPS-Northstar, do they get access to all the level 1 equipment from all of the frames, or do they have to invest into each frame individually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Each frame individually. The pilot equipment rarity you gain from the licence level can be spent on any manufacturers gear however.