Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
it's the CHRISTMAS EPISODE GUYS

Time to... be manipulated and have just an atrocious time with cognitive dissonance.

we had much more to yell about than expected this time around, so here's to Echo Chamber, also props to jimbot because it's just the perfect word to invoke for so much of this content

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 05:13 on Oct 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/jeremymbarr/status/1053787292479844352

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
there's a The Nation piece about ben Rhodes goin around and he's a real stupid gormless piece of beltway garbage

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
well it's Wednesday night and 3 bottles of Bell's Oberon down the road I am posting about colonialism! A despicable reminder of the savage orientalism that dominates Western foreign policy imagination, we get to suffer through some inbred droop-jawed anemic motherfucker lecture us about how those simple savages get all het up about RELIGION.

this week is rough y'all

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Right, I need to catch up. Curse my habit of following like a billion podcasts.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This is a very lukewarm take at this point, but you guys mentioned again how much the show is just "President As King", and it bugs me that it's both that and that the President doesn't really have any kingly power insofar as the Bartlet administration barely gets to do anything.

If it actually was an absolutist, autocratic fantasy, there's so much more that the President should be capable of accomplishing - and I don't mean that in the "liberals can't even pass UHC in their wildest dreams" kind of way, because of course that's not the ideology of the show to begin with, so they don't want it to happen, but like, Bartlet seems to come off as even more ineffectual than Obama, if only because the show doesn't even acknowledge (or want to highlight) the relative power of the Executive Order and the "Imperial Presidency".

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is a very lukewarm take at this point, but you guys mentioned again how much the show is just "President As King", and it bugs me that it's both that and that the President doesn't really have any kingly power insofar as the Bartlet administration barely gets to do anything.

If it actually was an absolutist, autocratic fantasy, there's so much more that the President should be capable of accomplishing - and I don't mean that in the "liberals can't even pass UHC in their wildest dreams" kind of way, because of course that's not the ideology of the show to begin with, so they don't want it to happen, but like, Bartlet seems to come off as even more ineffectual than Obama, if only because the show doesn't even acknowledge (or want to highlight) the relative power of the Executive Order and the "Imperial Presidency".

the west wing takes place in a universe where iirc Nixon went to jail and an emergency presidential election was held in '74 which would explain the weak executive. however since this literally never gets brought up in the show other than the offset election years, I suspect sorkin was too coked out to make that connection

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

James Hong is always great, and I'm always glad to see him get some work.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah there's some extra meta-analysis that we occasionally skip off of briefly where some of the writing betrays the fundamental contradiction in the fantasy vs. the politics. Just ITCHING to be a philosopher-king, but we can't becuase DECORUMS or like, NORMS. the dissonance is raaaaging at some times.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

is marbury supposed to be like the last inbred idiot that ran the British Raj

e: point of order, between wikipedia and encyclopedias we had encarta!

Raskolnikov38 has issued a correction as of 18:42 on Oct 25, 2018

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

e: point of order, between wikipedia and encyclopedias we had encarta!

This reminded me that during the Zoey/Charlie asking out scene we see Charlie's computer and it's clearly an Apple and there's no way in hell the White House has Apple computers.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Here we are with some observations that might, in some small way, brighten what's been a bleak, insufferably demented week

Episode 12 is primarily concerned with the internal drama of the show! As such it's quite good but there's still enough bullshit to go in on, particularly given that the crisis we spent... half our time on LAST week is hand-waved away quite effortlessly

no doubt because the people involed are all Brain Geniouses and not because it was an inexplicable inclusion of meaningless drama leveraged in order to expand the canon, right? RIGHT??

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Just caught up with episodes 10-12, great as always. I think my favorite joke in the podcast is the :siren: CREDENTIALS CHECK :siren: *bwabwabwabwaaaa*

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lol they just handwaved away world war 3.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

this is only the first of at least 3 times they do this

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's fine! India just wanted some infrastructure!

It's fine! They'll be fine! It's fiiiine

:tif:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

oh wait gently caress i forgot WW3 handwave #2 is at the end of this season too lmao

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
i also liked how, even assuming marbury's conclusion was automatically brilliant in their neoliberal brainfantasy, how goddamn stupid must Bartlett be to not have already thought of it.

e: its really just like the toby=FDR part, an incredibly obvious thing that any Very Smart Person would have figured out before they reached their lofty careers of THE WHITE HOUSE

A Big Fuckin Hornet has issued a correction as of 05:09 on Oct 28, 2018

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
this will continually come up because (and note I'm not necessarily defending it) it's impossible to construct a coherent alternative history in which this litany of constant, literally earth-shaking political events pass us the serial audience by like silent ships and expect our attention to refocus on such sitcom level drama as "CJ kissed a boy" and "the chief of staff is an alcoholic"

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah i guess that is just a product of TV Writing. it reminds me of a review on House from an actual MD where the biggest problem is that they take all these convoluted routes to heighten the dramatic final diagnosis where any actual doctor would have figured it out in the first act.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Paris Geller makes a whoopsie doodle! A widdle fucko-boingo! and then Leo goes ahead and makes his own tremendous mistake in the latest episode:

Take Out The Trash Day in which the administration proves it is very liberalishly INCAPABLE of doing just that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 21:42 on Nov 3, 2018

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Man, Leo really is a piece of poo poo.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I really think Leo's character particularly is a demographic appeal, he's the salty old Quint stereotype and is stalwart amidst oppression while The Youth rally around his wizened sagacity.

it's every early-Vietnam vet's wet dream, to be venerated for a lie

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
we survived midterm elections in variably-intoxicated form to bring you an unusually specific slash dialed-in episode focused around an extremely flimsy defense of the moral depravity that is capital punishment! hurray such an uplifting topic!

BUT DOES NOT THE TORAH SAY

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
i enjoy the heck out of your podcast and have been hatewatching along with you but drat i really really dislike this show. bartlett, leo and mandy especially are such loathesome characters and yet im supposed to at least see them as worthy of some level of respect and it irritates the gently caress out of me. even everything else about the show that isnt disgustingly liberal is just so corny and 90s.

alison janney is great and her character is the only one i would spare the guillotine

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

good news about mandy then!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
also, BOY are you in for a treat next episode lol

I dunno this is not particularly a propos of aging TV but the current issue of The Baffler (a great magazine that all CSPAM should subscribe to if they're able) has this article about prestige TV which I found to be pretty spot on

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
i feel like television is only now finally getting good. its moving away from the bloated 22 ep seasons where you can tell the writers have no big overarching plan, just filling time until they have to wrap it up in a big finale.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

most television is still very bad, sorry. but don't despair — movies are also mostly bad.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
MENDOZAAAA!

(it snow on the East Coast which is excellent, also, it'll be two weeks between now and next episode not like y'all give THAT much of a gently caress but it is Thanksgiving after all)

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
small correction, Ben Carson is in fact the HUD secretary and not HHS, making your complaints about tokenism even truer

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

They introduced a cool character and then he just vanishes. Wow.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
also i think i'd like josh a lot more if he was just written as the dipshit rear end in a top hat who always takes the Worst Opinion without sorkin wanting us to think he is charming and likable. this episode was the worst about it so far with his auditorium scenes. at least until the next episode when we are supposed to want him to score with marlee matlin

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

small correction, Ben Carson is in fact the HUD secretary and not HHS, making your complaints about tokenism even truer

Yea that was my brain assuming that we live in the semi-sane reality where the doctor would be in charge of something health related and not the hellworld we do live in where Ancient Grain Silo Ben is in charge of public housing for the entire nation.

MonsieurChoc posted:

They introduced a cool character and then he just vanishes. Wow.

I want to say that they might reference some stuff from Justice Mendoza later on in an offscreen kind of way, but we definitely never see EJO again.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
60 Minutes aired a segment on the upcoming Broadway adaptation of To Kill A Mockingbird last night. Literally as soon as the thought of him crossed my mind, Aaron Sorkin appeared on screen and ambulances began to scream past my window. Nerve wracking experience

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I mocked it in other threads, but that Ruth Bader Ginsburg movie looks soooo bad.

Unsure how much you guys will look into non-WW stuff that's gunning for the same audience.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Fleetwood posted:

60 Minutes aired a segment on the upcoming Broadway adaptation of To Kill A Mockingbird last night. Literally as soon as the thought of him crossed my mind, Aaron Sorkin appeared on screen and ambulances began to scream past my window. Nerve wracking experience

Lmao my wife just mentioned this in passing... You had a close shave friend (btw are u gettin BFV?)

Echo Chamber posted:

I mocked it in other threads, but that Ruth Bader Ginsburg movie looks soooo bad.

Unsure how much you guys will look into non-WW stuff that's gunning for the same audience.

I'm rolling around ideas for how to start to branch out at least a little bit (doing a very sparse couple of callouts to current events in recent eps) into more topical stuff but we're gonna take it slowly.

You got any ideas?? :P

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I know there's a future episode of The West Wing where Bartlet nominates a Ginsburg clone as Chief Justice, so it might be redundant but a watch/review/discuss of On the Basis of Sex might be a fun detour. Well, at least the review and discuss part. Probably not the watch part.... You know what? Don't waste your money.

I can think of a bunch of West Wing-tangential media that could reviewed (The American President, The Contender, Commander in Chief, etc.)... but yeah, if you ever set up a Patreon maybe they can be a bonus or something.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
when you get to Somebody's Going to Emergency, Somebody's Going to Jail, you should also review the Sports Night ep that uses the same plot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Lmao my wife just mentioned this in passing... You had a close shave friend (btw are u gettin BFV?)

I picked it up over Thanksgiving! Game is excellent although my time is limited these days. I get sheepish about using my mic because my kids are out of control and are constantly screaming in the background, so I can't make any promises if I get an invite. It's kinda why I never joined the Krew for BF1, but I'll make time when I can mang