Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

I had not heard this. Now I want to see it because it's going to be amazingly bad.

Supposedly he wants to basically make a Sam & Twitch movie with Spawn barely appearing on the periphery. Which doesn't exactly sound like the best way to build a franchise. Also the whole thing about never actually directing a movie before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

muscles like this! posted:

Supposedly he wants to basically make a Sam & Twitch movie with Spawn barely appearing on the periphery. Which doesn't exactly sound like the best way to build a franchise. Also the whole thing about never actually directing a movie before.

I had Sam & Twitch mixed up with Sam & Max and was momentarily delighted and confused.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
A Spawn/ Sam & Max crossover would be amazing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

David D. Davidson posted:

There's also a Spawn movie in the works
And I'm surprised that I have more hope for both of those loving movie than I do for any DC movie project.

Heck there's a Body Bags movie being developed with Bautista lined up to play the male lead if we're going to discuss weird comic movie news

But then that's an example where weird doesn't mean bad, cause it's a comic that will translate to movie form rather easily, and Bautista is probably the best choice one could make for the role of Clown Face, hopefully it will finally motivate Jason Pearson to get off his incredibly talented yet lazy rear end and finally get that new Body Bags comic done(as it's been almost three years since it was kickstarted)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really hope they make that giant breasted girl older than 14.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I really hope they make that giant breasted girl older than 14.

I bet the movie will be vague on how old Panda is

Funny thing is I recently read through both volumes of Body Bags again, and the way Panda is depicted isn't particularly pervy like you'd think(outside of a couple covers that is), indeed pretty much any time a character says or does something perverted to her they end up either getting their asses handed to them or get killed, usually by Panda herself

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

I bet the movie will be vague on how old Panda is

Funny thing is I recently read through both volumes of Body Bags again, and the way Panda is depicted isn't particularly pervy like you'd think(outside of a couple covers that is), indeed pretty much any time a character says or does something perverted to her they end up either getting their asses handed to them or get killed, usually by Panda herself

Yeah, sure.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Ah, yes, that Whedonian feminism.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Mr. Maltose posted:

Ah, yes, that Whedonian feminism.

Huh?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Making a female character a bad rear end and thinking that makes them good. This is usually accompanied by them being emotional wrecks.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Also the idea that you can just do the bad gross thing because then blammo biff pow your masturbatory fantasy woman responds with physical violence and that sure balanced those scales and isn’t just another aspect of your dehumanizing fetishization.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Making a female character a bad rear end and thinking that makes them good. This is usually accompanied by them being emotional wrecks.

So what exactly does make for a good female character, cause I've never really seen a consistent answer to that question

Mr. Maltose posted:

Also the idea that you can just do the bad gross thing because then blammo biff pow your masturbatory fantasy woman responds with physical violence and that sure balanced those scales and isn’t just another aspect of your dehumanizing fetishization.

Honestly I think you are overthinking things(and also kinda being a prick about it)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Nah, they ain't

Like, you seriously cant come up with anything for women in comics to be other than vicitms of sexual violence and are now hard, but you're gonna say that people who rightly criticize that trope are pricks? Just get out

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

drrockso20 posted:

So what exactly does make for a good female character, cause I've never really seen a consistent answer to that question

That's because it's an incredibly stupid question. What makes a good male character? There's literally no answer. It depends so much on the context of the work, the purpose of the character, etc. Don't ask an unaswerable question and then get mad when people don't answer it to your expectations.

"Woman who overcomes emotional trauma through physical violence" absolutely can be a good character. But in the context of a TV show made by noted sex creep Josh Whedon, it's always gross.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And he didn't just do it once. Or even just twice.

It's Buffy (and a number of other characters on that show too) and River and Echo (and a number of other characters on that show too) and even Black Widow.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

drrockso20 posted:

Just make a good character that happens to be a woman.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I shall never forget that class on critical theory I took in university for which we were asked to post one image to the shared online workspace which we thought represented feminism and a short explanation summarising why we thought it did and one member of the group posted a massive photograph of Joss Whedon.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
please tell me they were kicked out

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Like, you can’t go “ you’re evil and bad for sexualizing me” as some sort of commentary when you the artist are creating literally every aspect of this fiction including the weird sexy Asian child you actually loving named Panda.

Also lol god forbid I be mean about Joss Whedon or whatever.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Mr. Maltose posted:

Like, you can’t go “ you’re evil and bad for sexualizing me” as some sort of commentary when you the artist are creating literally every aspect of this fiction including the weird sexy Asian child you actually loving named Panda.

Also lol god forbid I be mean about Joss Whedon or whatever.

Yeah it doesn't matter how much rear end she kicks, the way Panda is drawn with the frequent upskirt shots, insanely short skirts exposed rear end, and insane proportions (and I don't mean unrealistic, shes downright non euclidean) is practically a crime against comic book art, especially given her age in the comic.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sorry, when's the last time you watched Spawn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH7Q2y9iKPU

Even relatively small fx shots looks like poo poo:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

John Leguizamo carried that movie on his fat suited shoulders.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

drrockso20 posted:

I think a better question is how "how do you not make a bad female character," which is akin to the questions of how do you not make a bad black character, a bad gay character, a bad latinx character, etc..

A good character is hard to do, which is why people are so stoked when one is created, and why good literature with good characters isn't disposable. Don Quixote still rules, he's still funny and also very moving. Hamlet is a mensch, so is Lu Bu, so is Scrooge McDuck, so is Peter Parker, so is the narrator from In Search of Lost Time, so is Bigger Thomas, so is Roy Cohn in Angels in America and Nixon in Secret Honor and gently caress it, let's double-dip and say Nixon in Nixon in China and so is J. Alfred Prufrock and so is Hugh Selwyn Mauberley and so is the screaming lemon guy from Adventure Time and so is Reverend Casaubon and almost every Dracula and most Dr. Frankenstein's and about half of the Frankenstein's Monsters and occasionally Deadpool and always Taskmaster and so on and so on for infinity but if one were to try to make a taxonomy of "good male characters" you wouldn't get very far from just scrutinizing such a disparate selection, right?

A good character isn't a series of boxes ticked off in a bingo score-- it's hard to do but a hell of a good starting point is to not lapse into lazy, harmful stereotypes and dehumanizing tropes.

For example, the kind of Whedon-esque character that people are talking about isn't necessarily a bad character and I'd actually sheepishly argue that a lot of the character work on Buffy in particular holds up. But a lot of writers and artists seem to think that writing sexual violence into a woman's backstory is a two-for-one deal: "ooh, I get to add fake pathos to my plot, but I also get to draw a lady with her clothes ripped off." This is especially egregious when it feels like a reflexive tic, or a casual narrative decision to add artificial depth-- as if sexual violence is rote, formulaic, like Noh drama.

We can talk more broadly, maybe, about trauma as a narrative fall-back that has a lot of negative effects-- there's the DeMatteis syndrome of early 90s Spider-Man comics where every badguy suddenly had a mess of neuroses stemming back from their childhoods, and lord knows how many tonedeaf and leaden "psychological" Batman stories the world has suffered through-- but it's especially salient with woman characters because gross sexualization continues to be a problem on the page that extends off the page and when rape and leering and sexual victimization is the bell every hack rings to add false complexity to their pin-up character that lends a dangerous veneer of respectability to bad and outdated practices.

And since I feel like you really did ask in good faith, I'll mention a character who I feel does check a lot of red flag boxes for me but winds up working-- Jessica Jones. She's a tough talking, no nonsense woman who kicks rear end, and her backstory has a whole very disturbing abuse element to it, but Bendis writes her with real subtlety and nuance and her experiences with the Purple Man are never ever depicted as anything other than horrible and very serious, and more importantly, they aren't reported to the reader with a lot of cheesecake shots and male-gazey drawings of Jessica's body. It's mostly off-panel and the focus narratively remains firmly on Jessica as survivor rather than on Jessica as passive victim. It's not perfect-- for example I don't think the victim/survivor binary is especially helpful in real life-- but it doesn't deny the character's agency, it doesn't turn her story into somebody else's story, and its given (I'd argue) appropriate gravity and weight without feeling salacious or voyeuristic.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 13, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Alhazred posted:

Even relatively small fx shots looks like poo poo:

You can't even give it the excuse that CG was generally bad back then, because no one made them use CG. Many great (and not so great) films have done similar effects practically years and even decades before Spawn came out, and they looked way better. Hellraiser 2's matte painting hell looks so much better than the CG hell in Spawn. A forced perspective Jim Henson puppet Malebolgia would've looked 200 times more convincing than that PS1 cutscene.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Lurdiak posted:

You can't even give it the excuse that CG was generally bad back then, because no one made them use CG. Many great (and not so great) films have done similar effects practically years and even decades before Spawn came out, and they looked way better. Hellraiser 2's matte painting hell looks so much better than the CG hell in Spawn. A forced perspective Jim Henson puppet Malebolgia would've looked 200 times more convincing than that PS1 cutscene.
Tell it to the Power Rangers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjTDnPRGSKE

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

It didn't really help that the blew about 98% of the budget on making Spawn's cape work.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Madkal posted:

It didn't really help that the blew about 98% of the budget on making Spawn's cape work.

Money well spent:

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Aphrodite posted:

And he didn't just do it once. Or even just twice.

It's Buffy (and a number of other characters on that show too) and River and Echo (and a number of other characters on that show too) and even Black Widow.

Sierra from Dollhouse has an insanely vile background that no matter how you feel about Whedon or that show in general should have had more than a few people saying to him "dial that poo poo back a lot" before it ever left the writers room.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

RevKrule posted:

Sierra from Dollhouse has an insanely vile background that no matter how you feel about Whedon or that show in general should have had more than a few people saying to him "dial that poo poo back a lot" before it ever left the writers room.

All of Dollhouse is insanely hosed up. The premise is that the sexy action ladies are brainwashed sex slaves with no personality. That episode with Patton Oswalt is so gross. It's like, oh it's so sad, he misses his dead wife. So he rents a sex slave. And you're still supposed to think he's just a poor lonely widower.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Anyone know what's a good gift to get someone for Yom Kippur?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Covok posted:

Family or single person, and are you just giving the gift or are you going to be eating with them after as well?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Family or single person, and are you just giving the gift or are you going to be eating with them after as well?

A co-worker, just to be nice because she's a bitch but she has stopped being a bitch recently and I want it to stay that way.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Covok posted:

A co-worker, just to be nice because she's a bitch but she has stopped being a bitch recently and I want it to stay that way.

Food. kosher baked goods if there's a kosher bakery near you, or a jar of fancy organic local honey. Maybe a bottle of Jewish wine but if she's a co-worker, maybe that wouldn't be appropriate, depends on your workplace. Don't get her like, a Challah board or a candle holder or anything specifically Yom Kippurish, because good chance is she's already got too many of those.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
But it's better to not tantalize or tempt her with food on the actual day, since she will not be allowed to eat, and it will just be a big tease. (Although many observant Jews don't work on Yom Kippur! I do, but I'm barely observant.)

Maybe a gift card to a restaurant you know she likes would be even better, so she can easily go to break her fast in the evening without worrying about preparing any food at home.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

But it's better to not tantalize or tempt her with food on the actual day, since she will not be allowed to eat, and it will just be a big tease. (Although many observant Jews don't work on Yom Kippur! I do, but I'm barely observant.)

Maybe a gift card to a restaurant you know she likes would be even better, so she can easily go to break her fast in the evening without worrying about preparing any food at home.

But there's a very good chance she'll already have breaking the fast plans. The gift card is basically an accusation that she doesn't have a good relationship with her family! She'll hate Covok even more than she already did!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

But there's a very good chance she'll already have breaking the fast plans. The gift card is basically an accusation that she doesn't have a good relationship with her family! She'll hate Covok even more than she already did!

Fair point.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Covok posted:

It's not a gift holiday. It's the holiest day of the year but also the worst, where we have to atone for all the poo poo we did over the course of the last year and beg God not to give us what we deserve. If you're attending the break-fast it's polite enough to bring a dish (go with a light desert to be safe, remember that nobody's eaten for 26 hours and anything too heavy is just gonna be stomach-churning), but you don't mark the occasion with gifts.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1040609524778848256?s=19

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Don't get her a gift (unless you want to give her a belated Rosh Hashanah gift). You can something like "may God inscribe you in the book of Life" if you know she is observant but don't get her anything. Yom Kippur isn't really a giving feel good holiday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

All of Dollhouse is insanely hosed up. The premise is that the sexy action ladies are brainwashed sex slaves with no personality. That episode with Patton Oswalt is so gross. It's like, oh it's so sad, he misses his dead wife. So he rents a sex slave. And you're still supposed to think he's just a poor lonely widower.

To be fair to that episode, they actually points this out:
Joel Mynor: She never got to see this house. So, every year on this date I pretend she does. I get to see that look on her face, and I get to show her our extraordinary home.
Paul: And then you sleep with her.
Joel Mynor: Well, it is a fantasy.
Paul: I'm sorry for your loss, Mr. Mynor. But it doesn't make you anything other than a predator.

• Locked thread