Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Welp, it's been a while

1. Max out Retirement plans (limit raises :woop:) Automated, on track.

2. Max the HSA DONE

3. Maintain 529 contributions Automated, on track.

4. Keep current car as long as possible, but set aside "next car" fund. If I can get decent used, thinking 15k. Otherwise it's 25k new. 0% financing would be awesome. Ideally, I'd like to keep my current vehicle until it hits 300k miles, but I know that's not a guarantee.basically did a CD ladder of 19k. It's on a whim; whatever this grows to by the time I need another car, then that's what my all-in expese budget will be.

5. *Mixed goal* end of life planning for my mother, transition planning for my father, navigating a family cold war, and the finances behind all of this. My dad wants to relocate when mom dies, but he's guarded about how he'd get that done. Mom fell :cry: but she's as ok as can be expected. My dad is less in denial and starting to give details on their overall financial situation with the right nudges, but still guarded.

6 deleted due to change of course as noted in prior update. If a great real estate deal comes along, maybe, but not holding my breath.

7. Read at least 1 book per week (and one family/child related finance activity per quarter) fell behind after some work changes

8.Continue to work out at least 1 hour per day ditto

9.Create an actual "date night" schedule with my spouse This is going better than expected. One of them I even got her to view this kickstarter documentary I donated to called Playing with FIRE. She didn't roll her eyes even once, so I think I got her in my financial corner more than ever!

10. Back to basics: use a physical planner and calendar system along with task list to hold ourselves accountable. Well, at least we've been writing out our work and kid activities on paper calendars. Gotta start somewhere

11. Hobby/side hustle goals including download number, number of guests, sponsors, and blog posts (not set on values because I have to discuss it with my friend) well, my friend is settling into new dad life, but we have resumed with our first ever guest appearance, met our first contributor goal, looking at minor merchandise, and writing for other sites

The biggest added factor right now is a potential job change, which may add a more flexible schedule in the long run, and added compensation for more administrative responsibility. This may be smoke and mirrors though, so I'm going to make sure I have my terms in writing. If they don't take it, then I'll stick with what I'm doing. Also, as I've learned more about 457 plans, I realize that mine is nonqualified (subject to creditors in the event of my employer bottoming out) so I will max it out for this year, then funnel future contributions into a taxable account (or more hopefully my wife has a qualified 457!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

:homebrew: June Update! :homebrew:

Raise net worth from 129k to 159k. $151.7k
Increase house fund from 23.5k to 40k. $29.6k
Increase e-fund from 9.8k to 12k. $11.4k
Contribute $2.8k to my Roth IRA. $1.4k

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

June update

2019 Financial Goals:
  • Max Roth IRAs
  • Meet company matches on HSA and 401k On track
  • 50/month into kids' 529s On track
  • Consolidate my HSA funds into a single place that doesn't suck
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy. She quit her job, holidays are over, and the kids are in daycare 3 days a week. No excuses from either of us on this anymore
  • Perform an analysis of my retirement window. It's still ~20 years out, but I want to nail down if it's closer to 50 or closer to 70. And if closer to 70, figure out what I can do to make it closer to 50. And not full retirement, but more of a FI retirement
  • Consider using a more granular expenditure tracker than what I have Excel + Mint setup to do. I'm still not sure I want to sink the time into tracking spending at a granular level, but I like the idea of it, so I want to look into it a bit more
  • Figure out cost of and start saving for Australia trip for my dad's 65th

2019 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month. The intent would be to use this to do whatever: catch up on house chores, take the kids to a local attraction when it's not a weekend, be lazy, go on an actual vacation, etc. - but I would be completely dark from work (phone off and laptop shut), which I'm very bad at when I'm home We went to Big Bounce America on a Friday, so I took the day off for that. It was pretty awesome jumping around on a giant bounce house with my daughter.
  • Make a piece of software that is mine. Very loose goal here, but I want to make something outside of what I make at work
  • Clean up the basement. We keep pushing this off. It needs to happen. There'd be so much more play space down there for the kids
  • Serious reflection on hobbies. 2 kids = limited free time. I need to cut hobbies, so I quit having FOMO on hobbies I'm not doing while I'm doing other hobbies

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

2019 goals
- Still zero consumer debt
- Stop Eating Out At Lunch. I'm really bad at this so making sandwiches/pasta bowl for 3 out of the 4 days I'm in the office would definitely help with curbing expenses
- Open a Stocks and Shares ISA to build some post tax investments and reroute 3/4 or more of current lunch budget towards it. I don't know if Vanguard in the UK is the best option here? Reading required before the new year.
- £6k in the S&S ISA - The annual UK ISA limit is £20k/yr and I'm only allowed to squirrel away £200 a month to the Cash ISA so a theoretical target of £17,600 (for fiscal year 2019/20) but no way am I hitting that
- Try and boost my salary in my March review. I took on line management responsibility late last year so need to focus on negotiating the payout that goes with it
- £100k NW

End of June

:jeb: Still Zero Consumer Debt. Turned down another week away as we have a couple of weddings coming up in August/September
:jebstare: Did 7/16 office days, still not 12/16 but an improvement
:jebstare: £2.5k - still behind here. I'm also ramping up short term savings instead for things I want to buy in the next year so keeping that cash out of the markets
:jebstare: See title of YOSPOS thread "interviewing and recruiting is garbage"
:jeb: >£89k THANKS OBAMA. A good month here which makes me feel better about not dumping so much in the ISA

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

DJCobol posted:

1) Max out Roth IRA contributions of $6,000 - On autopilot, but I've been considering just dumping it all in now, and taking my bi-weekly auto transfer and start saving for next year.
2) Max out HSA contributions of $3,500 - Automatic payroll withdraws, this is on autopilot.
3) Continue to max out 401(k) contributions of $19,000 - I've had to gently caress with the withholding percentage like 4 times now, but I think I have it dialed in at this point.

New goals for this year:
4) Take girlfriend to Africa. Gonna burn some points/miles so this shouldn't be too expensive - We went to California instead in May, and will go somewhere else around Christmas, so halfway there
5) Sell motorcycle and apply to car loan balance - Still collecting dust in the garage, need to get the battery charger on it and washed up.

I've gotten some of my other spending under control and with my GF now living with me, other expenses for food and utilities have gone down. Rather than have that money wasting away, I looked at what I had where and made some changes:

$15k emergency fund, down from just over $20k. That covers 6 months, assuming GF doesn't pick up any of the bills (she would) and I make zero lifestyle changes (I would).
$3k house emergency fund, up from $2k. Probably overkill for a condo where my only expenses are plumbing and HVAC but I just had to drop $1k on a hot water heater YAY!
$5k in general savings down from $25k.
$4k to $5k held in checking to cover a few months worth of bills and float company reimbursement of travel expenses.

The leftover amount was moved to a Vanguard ETF and I have a calendar reminder to move $500 on the first day of the month and buy more VOO. I figure that along with my Roth and Rollover IRAs all fully invested in VTSAX and my 401k in a target fund should set me up nicely.

Onward into Q3!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Really very late for the June update but my wife was hospitalized with a healthcare-acquired (!) MRSA (!!) wound infection following her surgery (!!!) to remove an ovarian mass (!!!!) that was discovered at the time of her emergency c-section (!!!!!) with the premature arrival of our son (!!!!!!). Suffice to say we hit our medical deductible by April, so all of this excellent healthcare is gratis but man, a weeklong hospitalization with intravenous antibiotics is no picnic.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

June's books are closed, it's been a wild three month ride. Some new spending, some unanticipated challenges, but no setback too great. My Dad ran into financial troubles and was getting into overdrafts every month trying to make ends meet so it was great to be able to just write him a check from our emergency fund and basically fix his problems overnight.

Current Liabilities -
- Student loan SNAFU is "certified unfucked" and my monthly payments are now manageable. PSLF still in the cross-hairs sometime in 2022 for my wife, 2024 for me.
- Approximately 34 months into our mortgage on a 5/1 ARM. Still intending to sell at or around month 48.
- Two car loans, both cars in great shape.

By end of Q1:
- Fund an investment into my friend's private company.
- Re-certify wife and myself for PSLF.
- Document approval and payment status for student loan forgiveness for 2018-2019 payments.

By end of Q2:
- Baby two arrives! Baby two is home and healthy, our medical bills are settled and he is thankfully experiencing no ongoing health concerns as a consequence of his exciting arrival. My wife on the other hand had to be readmitted following a mass discovered at time of her c-section, which fortunately proved benign but was complicated by MRSA infection.
- Would like to be sitting clinical directorship days (my next promotion) by July 1. A different directorship became available and I received a roughly 5.7% base pay raise between the additional pay and COLA

By end of Q3:
- Hire a nanny. We have hired someone to help with pickup and drop off for our two kids for school. It will be expensive, but it will aid my wife's sanity enormously, especially because she has two further weeks of activity restriction because of her recent infection.

By end of Q4:
- Our 403 (b)s fully funded. Automatic.

Yearly Goals:
- I would like to be hired on for two additional consulting cases. Hired on one consulting case, but it required enough work that I ended up basically billing two cases out of it.
- House down payment fund to $120,000. 93K and counting. A fully-sick August bonus and another little bump in November will likely push us over the line.

Things we will not try to do:
- Acquire any new debt. So far, so good.

Stretch Goals
- 457 plan launched at work. Will begin January 1, 2020.

Personal Goals
- One muscle up Banded muscle up achieved for the first time ever during my month of paternity. I feel so close to the real deal.
- Thirty (30) new books read. On track with 16 books read YTD.
- 240 journal articles read, over 60 in perioperative medicine Not on track, I'm probably only going to manage 100-120 on the year.
- Cook 72 meals Ahead of schedule, I did quite a bit of cooking during my month of paternity, and now that my wife is on basically bed-rest I've cooked like 6 meals in the last 4 days.
- Major lifts to 300/400/450 (actual) Don't think I'll get there, but I might make it to 275, 350 and 400 though!
- Coparenting goals regarding night time feeding with coparent. This has helped our sanity enormously.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 10, 2019

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Really very late for the June update but my wife was hospitalized with a healthcare-acquired (!) MRSA (!!) wound infection following her surgery (!!!) to remove an ovarian mass (!!!!) that was discovered at the time of her emergency c-section (!!!!!) with the premature arrival of our son (!!!!!!). Suffice to say we hit our medical deductible by April, so all of this excellent healthcare is gratis but man, a weeklong hospitalization with intravenous antibiotics is no picnic.

drat man, hopefully everyone is OK. Congrats on another kid though!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yikes man, glad to hear everything's ok/benign.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

July, finally some delicious loving normalcy.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Current Liabilities -
- Student loan SNAFU is "certified unfucked" and our monthly payments are now manageable. PSLF still in the cross-hairs sometime in 2022 for my wife, 2024 for me.
- Approximately 35 months into our mortgage on a 5/1 ARM. Still intending to sell at or around month 48.
- Two car loans, both cars in great shape. Two years of payment left on one, three and a half on the other.

By end of Q1:
- Document approval and payment status for student loan forgiveness for 2018-2019 payments.

By end of Q2:
- Baby two arrives!
- Would like to be sitting clinical directorship days (my next promotion) by July 1. A different directorship became available and I received a roughly 5.7% base pay raise between the additional pay and COLA

By end of Q3:
- Hire a nanny. We have hired someone to help with pickup and drop off for our two kids for school. It has been a lifesaver.

By end of Q4:

Yearly Goals:
- I would like to be hired on for two additional consulting cases. Hired on one consulting case, but it required enough work that I ended up basically billing two cases out of it.
- House down payment fund to $120,000. 109K and counting. A few good months or a tailwind in the market will push us over this totally arbitrary line.

Stretch Goals

Personal Goals
- One muscle up Banded muscle up achieved for the first time ever during my month of paternity. I feel so close to the real deal.
- Thirty (30) new books read. Still on track.
- 240 journal articles read, over 60 in perioperative medicine Not on track, I'm probably only going to manage 60 on the year. Was less enthusiastic about this once the baby showed up!
- Cook 72 meals Steady as she goes
- Major lifts to 300/400/450 (actual) Don't think I'll get there, but I might make it to 275, 350 and 400 though!
- Coparenting goals regarding night time feeding with coparent. This has helped our sanity enormously.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Current State
- Wife's student loans: 245k left at 5% $178k left at 2.5%
- My student loans: 180k, eligible for PSLF in 4 years
- 1 car loan, 27k @ 3%
- Bought a house early this year

Financial Goals for 2019
- Max out Backdoor Roth IRAs for me/wife: 12k: Done
- Pay off wife's $24k private med school loan: Done! 12k paid in December, 12k paid in January
- Pay off my 15k student loan ASAP Done
- Pay off my 11k student loan ASAP Done NEW
- Put $5k/month in to a taxable account. NEW, set on autopilot
- Pay off my wife's student loan ASAP - On track. Will get paid off in the next few months.
- Continue maxing out our 401ks - On autopilot
- Continue maxing out our HSA On autopilot
- Rebuild emergency fund back to 50k (down because of some extra cash we had to put down for the house) Formally it's at 30k, slowly building up.
- Annual recertification of PSLF in September
- No new debt unless it's for a really bitchin' car

End of July update: paid off a small 11k student loan I had straggling at 3.5%. We're waiting to pay off my wife's student loan (178k @ 2.5%) because my wife's sister is dragging her feet over how she/her husband want to use the money/can't come to an agreement. I started funneling more money in to a taxable account.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 30, 2019

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Residency Evil posted:

Current State
- Wife's student loans: 245k left at 5% $178k left at 2.5%
- My student loans: 180k, eligible for PSLF in 4 years
- 1 car loan, 27k @ 3%
- Bought a house early this year

Financial Goals for 2019
- Max out Backdoor Roth IRAs for me/wife: 12k: Done
- Pay off wife's $24k private med school loan: Done! 12k paid in December, 12k paid in January
- Pay off my 15k student loan ASAP Done
- Pay off my 11k student loan ASAP Done NEW
- Put $5k/month in to a taxable account. NEW, set on autopilot
- Pay off my wife's student loan ASAP - On track. Will get paid off in the next few months.
- Continue maxing out our 401ks - On autopilot
- Continue maxing out our HSA On autopilot
- Rebuild emergency fund back to 50k (down because of some extra cash we had to put down for the house) Formally it's at 30k, slowly building up.
- Annual recertification of PSLF in September
- No new debt unless it's for a really bitchin' car

End of July update: paid off a small 11k student loan I had straggling at 3.5%. We're waiting to pay off my wife's student loan (178k @ 2.5%) because my wife's sister is dragging her feet over how she/her husband want to use the money/can't come to an agreement. I started funneling more money in to a taxable account.

Hot drat some great accomplishments in here!

Have a kid! Buy a Corvette C8! The world's your oyster.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer
July update:

DJCobol posted:

1) Max out Roth IRA contributions of $6,000 - on autopilot to be fully funded by end of year.
2) Max out HSA contributions of $3,500 - on autopilot to be fully funded by end of year.
3) Continue to max out 401(k) contributions of $19,000 - on autopilot to be fully funded by end of year.

New goals for this year:
4) Take girlfriend to Africa. Gonna burn some points/miles so this shouldn't be too expensive
We went to San Francisco earlier this year, and it's looking like we may get a week or so in Europe around Christmas. Minimal out of pocket cost since I'll be on a business trip, and I have enough SkyPesos to get my GF to London

5) Sell motorcycle and apply to car loan balance
This drat thing. Brakes don't work so now I gotta get that fixed before I can sell it and I just don't care right now

And for the things I wasn't planning on:
Gain to retirement accounts. My dad passed away earlier this month and my sister and I split his IRAs. No immediate cash out as I'm going with the lifetime expectancy method to take RMDs over the next 40 or so years. RMDs starting next year will be the basis of my Roth IRA contributions.
Hit to personal savings: Paying for final expenses is NOT cheap. I'll get to reimburse myself from the estate eventually but I'm down like $10k at the moment.
Hit to personal savings: Bought the GF a ring. I knew this expense was going to come up sooner rather than later and I should have budgeted for it better, but oh well.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Hot drat some great accomplishments in here!

Have a kid! Buy a Corvette C8! The world's your oyster.

Thanks man. I'm trying to balance my great depression outlook/hate of medicine/desire for financial independence with my wife's more balance view of the world.

Once we pay off some more loans we'll probably be able to buy a couch for the upstairs.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

DJCobol posted:

July update:

And for the things I wasn't planning on:
Gain to retirement accounts. My dad passed away earlier this month and my sister and I split his IRAs. No immediate cash out as I'm going with the lifetime expectancy method to take RMDs over the next 40 or so years. RMDs starting next year will be the basis of my Roth IRA contributions.
Hit to personal savings: Paying for final expenses is NOT cheap. I'll get to reimburse myself from the estate eventually but I'm down like $10k at the moment.
Hit to personal savings: Bought the GF a ring. I knew this expense was going to come up sooner rather than later and I should have budgeted for it better, but oh well.

Condolences/congratulations! Losing a parent is never easy, I hope he didn't suffer. It also gives you some perspective about what matters in life, hope things go well with the ring!

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

2019 goals
- Stop Eating Out At Lunch. I'm really bad at this so making sandwiches/pasta bowl for 3 out of the 4 days I'm in the office would definitely help with curbing expenses
- Open a Stocks and Shares ISA to build some post tax investments and reroute 3/4 or more of current lunch budget towards it. I don't know if Vanguard in the UK is the best option here? Reading required before the new year.
- £6k in the S&S ISA - The annual UK ISA limit is £20k/yr and I'm only allowed to squirrel away £200 a month to the Cash ISA so a theoretical target of £17,600 (for fiscal year 2019/20) but no way am I hitting that
- Try and boost my salary in my March review. I took on line management responsibility late last year so need to focus on negotiating the payout that goes with it
- £100k NW

End of July

:buddy: Zero consumer debt still (just!)
:zaurg: Probably about half and half again, I failed to keep count last month which probably shows how serious I am about actually meeting this goal :/
:zaurg: S&S at £2600... £6k a distant goal now but that's more because I am shovelling cash into short term savings account instead
:zaurg: Talking to recruiters. They are bad.
:buddy: >£93k - All other goals dogshit, number go up. The system works.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

:homebrew: July Update! :homebrew:

Raise net worth from 129k to 159k. $155.7k (on track!)
Increase house fund from 23.5k to 40k. $30.7k (behind track!)
Increase e-fund from 9.8k to 12k. $11.5k (on track!)
Contribute $2.8k to my Roth IRA. $1.9k (on track!)

I feel like I've been hemorrhaging money. Blah. Summer is always hard since I'm not working and doing a lot of socializing and vacationing. Just got back from Florida!

Work mostly starts back up in 3 weeks so hopefully I can stem the bleeding until then. To be fair, most of my spending comes out of my vacation fund, which is technically for this purpose...

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

BAE OF PIGS posted:

2018 was a good year financially for me. Paid off my student loans, got a decent raise, and started serious savings for retirement. I'm nowhere near the level some of you guys are at, but that's ok.

2019 Goals:
1) Max Roth IRA Still Done
2) Up 401k from 10% to at least 13%. Stretch is 15% but we'll see what kind of raise I get this year. At 12%, keeping it there for now.
3) Get Emergency fund to $12,500 $11,500
4) Get house down payment fund to $5000 $4700
5) Get car down payment fund to $3000 (Not planning on getting a car for a few years yet, but good to start saving early) $3450, see below
6) Keep fast food spending under $175 for the year (Currently at $228 for 2018, obviously not breaking the bank, still something to strive for). Sitting at $71.49 for the year
7) Continue no revolving credit card debt. Still strong

Had a number of costly car repairs the last couple of months that have basically wiped out my car repair fund. I think my car is honestly in really good shape now, buuuuuuuut I'm realizing an 11 year old car isn't going to last me forever, and I'm going to have to get something else eventually. I'm going to start saving for a new car at a slightly quicker pace.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

July update

2019 Financial Goals:
  • Max Roth IRAs
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy. She quit her job, holidays are over, and the kids are in daycare 3 days a week. No excuses from either of us on this anymore
  • Perform an analysis of my retirement window. It's still ~20 years out, but I want to nail down if it's closer to 50 or closer to 70. And if closer to 70, figure out what I can do to make it closer to 50. And not full retirement, but more of a FI retirement
  • Consider using a more granular expenditure tracker than what I have Excel + Mint setup to do. I'm still not sure I want to sink the time into tracking spending at a granular level, but I like the idea of it, so I want to look into it a bit more

2019 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month. The intent would be to use this to do whatever: catch up on house chores, take the kids to a local attraction when it's not a weekend, be lazy, go on an actual vacation, etc. - but I would be completely dark from work (phone off and laptop shut), which I'm very bad at when I'm home I took a Friday off, sent the kids to my parents', and spent the entire weekend with my wife working on the house, seeing a movie, and going out to dinner. It was great, and we fixed up the play room to look much nicer with new furniture.
  • Make a piece of software that is mine. Very loose goal here, but I want to make something outside of what I make at work
  • Clean up the basement. We keep pushing this off. It needs to happen. There'd be so much more play space down there for the kids Part of the aforementioned kid-free weekend was spent cleaning half of the basement. We moved everything from one half to the other, swept, mopped, and started putting things back in place. It's coming together.
  • Serious reflection on hobbies. 2 kids = limited free time. I need to cut hobbies, so I quit having FOMO on hobbies I'm not doing while I'm doing other hobbies

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Very delayed update:

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Second year of the Financial Goals thread, hoping for a good one.

State of the Union January 2019
-Married, no kids
-Two professional incomes
-Student loans for both. Hope to retire mine in 2020 and hers will be partially forgiven through programs.
-Own house and three rental units, hope to add one or two rental properties this year. bought a new house and turned the old one into two rental units, success
-Maxed 2018 401k/401k/IRAs
-Same boring US/intl/bond portfolio, hoping to spice this up a bit with some private equity real estate investments this year

2019 Financial Goals:
1. Hit $550k household income, stretch goal $600k. Income defined as active professional income exclusive of rental income, loan repayment checks, and passive sources such as investment dividends, and will include settlement payments (because this was earned income last year) going to crush the stretch goal, has been a bonkers year and there is no real end in sight. Some money from liquidation related to the lawsuit against my old employer may come through this year or next year.
2. Hit $40k in net rental income through real estate company Added a rental unit and should make this goal
3. Be disciplined about keeping $50k in high yield savings so far, so good
4. Try again on 75% of post tax take home to debt reduction, savings, or investments probably not going to manage because spending has been too high but I will sit down and do this calculation at some point
5. Debt reduction strategy dictated by loan interest and tax considerations, will divide monthly savings after mortgages and car payments between student loan and cash investments at present so far, so good. Student loans are currently at 2.3% so no hurry to repay
6. Max 401k, profit sharing, HSA, wife's 401k, and wife's 457b on autopilot
7. Max backdoor Roth IRAs done
8. Add one or two rental properties done, bought a new house and turned old house into two more rental units. now leased and ready for tenants.
9. Make one or two private equity real estate investments Have been reviewing offer memoranda - tried to make one investment but it was already fully subscribed and haven't found the right opportunity otherwise.
10. Attempt to do less than $10k in non-expensed or non-points travel Likely to exceed this on the year due to family travel.
11. Keep eyes open for new/interesting credit card sign up bonuses Haven't seen anything great this year
12. Use 0% APR periods to advantage Still rolling
13. Try to keep up with some professional side hustles, perhaps set a $10k goal Have made a little bit on non-clinical work but have mostly spent a ton of time with a clinical side gig. Good news, that has made me way more than $10k this year.
14. Finally make an appointment with my lawyer for estate planning, really for real this time Definitely going to do that, really promise for real this time
15. Figure out a number and organized plan for charitable donations. Have established a charitable fund which now needs the funds part. goal will be $10k from cash reserves before the end of the year

2019 Non-Financial Goals:
16. Continue to maintain working out 6 days a week. So far so good
17. Run two races with actual 12+ week training plans. One down, one to go
18. Lose 10 lbs. down 1 lb since start of year
19. Keep up with friends and make new friends in the neighborhood. Now we have a new neighborhood so starting over on this
20. Do at least one fun splurge meal each trip while traveling. Suggestions in LA and Paris anyone? done
21. Sleep more doing better with a consistent bedtime
22. Crank hard and impress at work, make partner Sept 2019 or sooner on track
23. Take out really large life insurance policy with guillotine rider done

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

:homebrew: August Update! :homebrew:

Raise net worth from 129k to 159k. $157.8k (on track!)
Increase house fund from 23.5k to 40k. $31.6k (behind track!)
Increase e-fund from 9.8k to 12k. $11.2k (on track!)
Contribute $2.8k to my Roth IRA. $2.1k (on track!)

Broke both my phone and laptop screens for a total of $550. Lame.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

August update

2019 Financial Goals:
  • Max Roth IRAs

2019 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month. The intent would be to use this to do whatever: catch up on house chores, take the kids to a local attraction when it's not a weekend, be lazy, go on an actual vacation, etc. - but I would be completely dark from work (phone off and laptop shut), which I'm very bad at when I'm home I took 3 days off to head to Cedar Point - the best amusement park in the country (I will fight you). It was a blast. I love watching my kids' faces when they're riding the little kiddie rides.
  • Clean up the basement. We keep pushing this off. It needs to happen. There'd be so much more play space down there for the kids No progress.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

August was a BIIIIG MONTH!!!

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Current Liabilities -
- Student loan SNAFU is "certified unfucked" and our monthly payments are now manageable. PSLF still in the cross-hairs sometime in 2022 for my wife, 2024 for me. All payments certified with PSLF lender! This was taking a while so I involved the federal student loans ombudsperson and they got this poo poo fixed up QUICK!!!
- Approximately 36 months into our mortgage on a 5/1 ARM. Still intending to sell at or around month 48. Something like $70k in equity in the house so far.
- Two car loans, both cars in great shape. Two years of payment left on one, three and a half on the other. Neither dramatically under water.

By end of Q1:

By end of Q2:
- Baby two arrives!

By end of Q3:
- Hire a nanny. We have hired someone to help with pickup and drop off for our two kids for school. It has been a lifesaver.

By end of Q4:

Yearly Goals:
- I would like to be hired on for two additional consulting cases. Hired on one consulting case, but it required enough work that I ended up basically billing two cases out of it. Am in negotiations for a second case.
- House down payment fund to $120,000. 105K and counting. A few good months or a tailwind in the market will push us over this totally arbitrary line.

Stretch Goals

Personal Goals
- One muscle up I FUCKIN DID IT Y'ALL. I've done four now, it's a dragon I've been chasing for more than a decade but it took 18 months of serious work this time because I'm old, fat and slow.
- Thirty (30) new books read. I've read 21 at this point, including the very insightful Power of Habit - a book I'd recommend to anyone who likes to think about this kind of self improvement stuff.
- 240 journal articles read, over 60 in perioperative medicine I've done 40 so far. I became a lot less enthusiastic about this when the baby arrived!
- Cook 72 meals I'll be around this but we've offloaded a lot with help from a really good meal prep company in town that allows my wife to have a little bit more time to enjoy our family in the evenings.
- Coparenting goals regarding night time responsibilities with coparent. This has helped our sanity enormously.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

2019 goals
- £100k NW

:sax: Zero Consumer Debt
:shrug: Kinda doing better this month, about 50/50 in August
:shrug: £3k so made it to half way at last; if I get to £5k I will be happy with this
:shrug: ugggghhhhh
:sax: >£93k, on target despite a month standing still, paid for the summer holiday without incurring debt so happy enough

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

BAE OF PIGS posted:

2019 Goals:
1) Max Roth IRA
2) Up 401k from 10% to at least 13%. Stretch is 15% but we'll see what kind of raise I get this year.
3) Get Emergency fund to $12,500
4) Get house down payment fund to $5000
5) Get car down payment fund to $3000 (Not planning on getting a car for a few years yet, but good to start saving early)
6) Keep fast food spending under $175 for the year (Currently at $228 for 2018, obviously not breaking the bank, still something to strive for).
7) Continue no revolving credit card debt.

Well, a lot of my goals are eating poo poo and/or going on the back burner. My fiancee got her dream job, on the other side of the country, so we're moving. She actually already moved. She will be making more starting off than I am currently after being at my job for 10 years, so I think the two of us will be fine. That being said, we're moving to a much smaller city and my job prospects seem pretty limited. I have an interview at a place that's in the same industry, but it's entry level and at about half the pay I was making.

My last day at my current job is this Friday, and then I'll technically still be on the payroll for another 2 weeks to cash out my accrued vacation. I'm looking at different career paths to take at this point, and I'm drat glad I have a decent amount in my emergency fund.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

:( :( :( September Update! :( :( :(

Raise net worth from 129k to 159k. $159k (on track!)
Increase house fund from 23.5k to 40k. $32k (behind track!)
Contribute $2.8k to my Roth IRA. $2.3k (on track!)

September has been crazy.

Almost bought a house. Backed out after the inspection, so just out the cost of that.

Found out I will need knee surgery, probably in November. This will be probably expensive. I am too young for this. :(

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Let's Gooooooooo

1. Max out Retirement plans (limit raises :woop:) Automated, on track.

2. Max the HSA DONE

3. Maintain 529 contributions Automated, on track.

4. Keep current car as long as possible, but set aside "next car" fund. If I can get decent used, thinking 15k. Otherwise it's 25k new. 0% financing would be awesome. Ideally, I'd like to keep my current vehicle until it hits 300k miles, but I know that's not a guarantee.Simplified to a money market fund, now over 23K.

5. *Mixed goal* end of life planning for my mother, transition planning for my father, navigating a family cold war, and the finances behind all of this. My dad wants to relocate when mom dies, but he's guarded about how he'd get that done. grrrr...my dad is running the numbers on selling his house. I can't imagine this will work out well. I'm so salty.

6 deleted due to change of course as noted in prior update. If a great real estate deal comes along, maybe, but not holding my breath.

7. Read at least 1 book per week (and one family/child related finance activity per quarter) catching up with this!

8.Continue to work out at least 1 hour per day ...this one, not so much

9.Create an actual "date night" schedule with my spouse The past few weekends were strange due to a friend's bachelor party in Montreal. We have to do something midweek, because weekends are hell.

10. Back to basics: use a physical planner and calendar system along with task list to hold ourselves accountable. Just started a new system that will hopefully serve as a master calendar. Let's see if we can solidify the habit.

11. Hobby/side hustle goals including download number, number of guests, sponsors, and blog posts (not set on values because I have to discuss it with my friend) This has picked up a bit more than expected in terms of time requirement. That's a good thing, but a scary thing.

October is the start of massive transition. I officially get installed as medical director/chair of something that I never expected, and we're short-staffed no matter what. I want this to work sooooo much, but we'll see. If we can navigate this into next year, then I will try to tailor this position into something that will improve the quality of life for everyone involved. I'll be ramping up my investment goals more hardcore next year.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
End of September checkpoint

Doccykins posted:

2019 goals
- £100k NW

:nsallears: Zero consumer debt
:nsallears: Better this month, been bringing in sandwiches on Monday by default as I've started getting into the habit of making them whilst the NFL is on
:nsamad: £3.1k (but non-ISA savings have been pushed up a bit more)
:nsamad: Cannot believe it's Q4 already so might have another run at bumping the salary at end of year review - if not then I've got to stop fannying around
:nsallears: Just clipped £96k, getting excited about this now :)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

spinst posted:

:( :( :( September Update! :( :( :(

Raise net worth from 129k to 159k. $159k (on track!)
Increase house fund from 23.5k to 40k. $32k (behind track!)
Contribute $2.8k to my Roth IRA. $2.3k (on track!)

September has been crazy.

Almost bought a house. Backed out after the inspection, so just out the cost of that.

Found out I will need knee surgery, probably in November. This will be probably expensive. I am too young for this. :(

the house update is a good one - it takes a lot of discipline to back out of a major purchase like that!

having had a major knee surgery at the age of 28 i empathize on the surgery. it took about three years to recover fully and it won't ever quite be the same again - but i had an open surgery with a bone graft in to the base of my femur so it was not so run of the mill. what kind are you getting?

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
Q3!

1. Pay off student loans: 125k 94k 61k done! Oh man what a ride. Finally done with these drat loans! :hellyeah:

Loan, starting 4/17:

Overall NW:

2. Increase 529 to 600/child/month done

3. Everything else basically on autopilot. Goal gross savings/debt payoff rate of 50%. Still on track as far as I know despite home repair and furnishings

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

howdoesishotweb posted:

Q3!

1. Pay off student loans: 125k 94k 61k done! Oh man what a ride. Finally done with these drat loans! :hellyeah:

Loan, starting 4/17:

Overall NW:

3. Everything else basically on autopilot. Goal gross savings/debt payoff rate of 50%. Still on track as far as I know despite home repair and furnishings

Congratulations on slaying that loving loan!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

howdoesishotweb posted:

Q3!

Loan, starting 4/17:

Overall NW:

those graphs :wink:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

progress through right meow:

Overall net worth +67K including:
Max IRAs 12K - did wifes at 6k, mine not done yet
Max my 401K 19K - on track w auto contribs
Housing downpayment fund +36K not on track due to housing scam et al below

so right now looks like we are at +5K, which includes a ton of market value increase. it also includes taking on roughly $14K in debt (at 1.9) for a new car. I still think +67 is within reach but it will now depend more on bonus this year for which guidance is good. but the net effect is not so good right now.

Don't take on any debt for wife's grad school on track
Move for the summer for wife internship, cover all these costs with her pay this was a dismal failure due to housing scam and then having to rent a short term corp apartment for $texas but we survived!

Non-financial (or deleterious to overall financial picture):
Ski at least 8 days ya bub
Go on one major non-skiing vacation we are taking two half major vacations so i'll count it
adding in: work out at least 3x/week

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer
End of Q3 updates!

DJCobol posted:

1) Max out Roth IRA contributions of $6,000 - Autopilot, will be maxed by end of year.
2) Max out HSA contributions of $3,500 - Autopilot, will be maxed by end of year.
3) Continue to max out 401(k) contributions of $19,000 - Autopilot, will be maxed by end of year.

New goals for this year:
4) Take girlfriend to Africa. Gonna burn some points/miles so this shouldn't be too expensive - Not going to Africa. Working in a Christmas trip to Belgium, Germany, and the Netherlands as part of a business trip in December.
5) Sell motorcycle and apply to car loan balance - Goddamn motorcycles. Still in the garage.

Couple of life changes:
1) Promotion! Got bumped up to Sr. Director of Fleet and Logistics, and the pay and bonus structure that goes with it.
2) Engagement! Got her drunk and she said yes! Date is set for October of next year, and we are planning on about $10k for everything. I've started setting $1k a month aside starting this month, with the thought that any leftover money will apply to the honeymoon when she's done with nursing school.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Condolences/congratulations! Losing a parent is never easy, I hope he didn't suffer. It also gives you some perspective about what matters in life, hope things go well with the ring!
Thanks. He had a pulmonary embolism and DVT from years of being a truck driver, so he went pretty quickly.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

September was absolutely awful. Some of this is probably going to end up pretty E/N but whatever, it'll make me feel better to say it out loud.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Current Liabilities -
- My student loans are on target for forgiveness in early 2023. My payments will increase some, but are capped, meaning I'll still be getting quite a bit of forgiveness.
- My wife's loans were never eligible for forgiveness (she never consolidated them to direct loans) and as such she has more than $300K of liability that will have to be repaid in full. :yikes:
- Approximately 36 months into our mortgage on a 5/1 ARM. Not sure what's going to happen with the house. Something like $70k in equity in the house so far.
- Two car loans, both cars in great shape. Two years of payment left on one, three and a half on the other. Neither dramatically under water.

By end of Q1:
- Re-certify myself for PSLF.

By end of Q2:
- Baby two arrives!

By end of Q3:

By end of Q4:

Yearly Goals:
- I would like to be hired on for two additional consulting cases. Hired on one consulting case, but it required enough work that I ended up basically billing two cases out of it. Am in negotiations for a second case.
- House down payment fund to $120,000. 109.5K and counting. A few good months or a tailwind in the market will push us over this totally arbitrary line.

Stretch Goals

Personal Goals
- One muscle up I FUCKIN DID IT Y'ALL. These have become achievable whenever I want. Next up ring muscle up and maybe handstand walking?
- Thirty (30) new books read. I've read 24 at this point, including the very insightful Power of Habit - a book I'd recommend to anyone who likes to think about this kind of self improvement stuff.
- 240 journal articles read, over 60 in perioperative medicine I've done 45 so far. I became a lot less enthusiastic about this when the baby arrived!
- Cook 72 meals I'll be around this but we've offloaded a lot with help from a really good meal prep company in town that allows my wife to have a little bit more time to enjoy our family in the evenings.
- Major lifts to 300/400/450 (actual) 260, 350, 375
- Coparenting goals regarding night time responsibilities with coparent. This has helped our sanity enormously.

Our marriage is also in a pretty bad place at the moment. We had the "crumbling under our feet/running on fumes" talk and I'm not sure which way it's going to go. So there's that.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Our marriage is also in a pretty bad place at the moment. We had the "crumbling under our feet/running on fumes" talk and I'm not sure which way it's going to go. So there's that.
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you are able to work through any issues you are having and get to a better place.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

drat dude sorry to hear that - hope you can work through it.

don't let that loan thing be a cause and accelerator for your issues - it's a lot of money but you guys are in a great position to take care of it

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

DJCobol posted:

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you are able to work through any issues you are having and get to a better place.

Thank you, we'll give it our best.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

drat dude sorry to hear that - hope you can work through it.

don't let that loan thing be a cause and accelerator for your issues - it's a lot of money but you guys are in a great position to take care of it

I'm so grateful that I can honestly and truly say that concerns about money are not at play whatsoever in our relationship. That's an enormous amount of privilege to be able to say, but the issues we have are much, much, MUCH more related to time priorities, communication and intimacy.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'm so grateful that I can honestly and truly say that concerns about money are not at play whatsoever in our relationship. That's an enormous amount of privilege to be able to say, but the issues we have are much, much, MUCH more related to time priorities, communication and intimacy.

I’ve been there, the stress load with 2 kids and professional jobs is no joke. Hang in there, it does get easier. I cut back on moonlighting and forced my group to make my schedule less chaotic.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Hoodwinker posted:

2019 plan:
- Max 401k and 403b On track to max 401k and my wife quit her job because she was miserable so we only got $5k into her 403b.
- Max both IRAs We did this Jan 2.
- Ensure I get my mid-year raise up to $115k I was unsuccessful in this. I was however successful in getting a new job that's a total comp raise of ~$30k next year.
- Break $250k net worth (our net worth is still closely related enough to our earnings/savings that this is an achievable goal despite market conditions) Blew this out of the water. Despite my wife not working we're at $280k at the moment.
- Get up to ~$100k in overall liquid cash in preparation for a house purchase in 2020 We'll hit this once my signing bonus comes in.
- Help wife leave her hellish job that she's still at for some reason She left! No other followup work but it hasn't really mattered to our finances that much.
- See if we can reduce our annual expenses a bit, or at least keep the number below $50k again On track for this.

Non-finance:
- Learn Clojure to provide an exit path from my current company if I need it Didn't need to do this. I just needed to keep kicking rear end.
- Keep working on that Metroidvania that I literally have a team I'm working on it with I did do some work on this but took a break to job hunt and scaled the team back to just me and the artist.
- Go to either Maine or the Grand Canyon We're definitely going to try to hit a national park sometime this year.
It's been a real good year. I'm really looking forward to this new job to springboard our accumulation that much more. My wife even has a possible office coordinator gig lined up that'll at least give her some more pocket money and give us access to another 401k again.

Also EAT FASTER!!! I'm sorry you're going through hard times. I'm sure you'll make it out the other side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the house update is a good one - it takes a lot of discipline to back out of a major purchase like that!

having had a major knee surgery at the age of 28 i empathize on the surgery. it took about three years to recover fully and it won't ever quite be the same again - but i had an open surgery with a bone graft in to the base of my femur so it was not so run of the mill. what kind are you getting?

Thank you for the empathy!

Luckily mine is looking to be quite minor, as knee things go: a torn lateral meniscus. I find out on Friday whether it can be repaired (unlikely) or if they are just going to take the torn piece out (likely).