Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's pretty fun the only flaw is not being able to save during missions only between. Missions are pretty short though and a lot of them are figuring out puzzles so they don't take long to play though if you have to quit during.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Unlocked subclasses tonight. Spent an hour+ finalizing my picks.

Mainly just for the passives since these classes are insanely good on their own.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

how do ppl take screenshots on 3ds? is it just hacking it?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
There's a capture output device you can get for it

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Yeah, I homebrewed my 3ds just to have a screenshot function, then forgot before buying EOX digitally and had a panic attack thinking Reggie was going to powerbomb my rear end through the floor and permaban/brick my system. But none of that happened and from what I've read on the subject as long as you pay for the game you're fine.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Yeah, I homebrewed my 3ds just to have a screenshot function, then forgot before buying EOX digitally and had a panic attack thinking Reggie was going to powerbomb my rear end through the floor and permaban/brick my system. But none of that happened and from what I've read on the subject as long as you pay for the game you're fine.

lmao

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
this thread got me to pick EO4 back up and i'm at the 4th labyrinth. the third place with the ice picks was kind of a slog but it picked up again and the new fight music is cool. this is my first eo and i like it a lot but i'm not very good at it. hope i can beat it

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

got to king frosty in smt4a..my whole team knew agi and the game give me a huge assist ultimate move and I was like "oh my god im incinerating this fat bitch" and then he landed a crit, smirked, and cast an AOE blizzard and wiped my team in one turn

guess ive gotta reform the team with more cold resist lmao

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

extremebuff posted:

got to king frosty in smt4a..my whole team knew agi and the game give me a huge assist ultimate move and I was like "oh my god im incinerating this fat bitch" and then he landed a crit, smirked, and cast an AOE blizzard and wiped my team in one turn

guess ive gotta reform the team with more cold resist lmao

King Frost is what made me bump the difficulty down to War, his AOE is just insane and you have no way of dealing with smirks at that point yet

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

King Frost is what made me bump the difficulty down to War, his AOE is just insane and you have no way of dealing with smirks at that point yet

i have an angel that has a smirk cancel, but she's weak to ice and just feeds him extra turns lol. i'm playing on conflict and its still really brutal

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Yeah, Magaon is a skill I only used maybe 10 times in the game but every single time was clutch. I'd definitely recommend getting it on your MC

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I got to the part where it splits off from SMTIV so far on my Apocalypse mode run. With enough buffs up I could survive one of King Frost's smirk powered moves but not 2 and I definitely couldn't heal back from it. But I had a magic mirror from somewhere, not really even sure where I got it, but it took care of him.

I've never gone with a magic MC so that's what I'm doing this time around, it's working pretty well. Bind and other status effects have been a godsend in the early dungeons.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 9, 2019

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Magic in general seems a lot stronger in Apocalypse. I specced strength as usual but the mudo/hama spells still did a shitload of damage

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Magic getting the ability to crit in this game went a long way. I like pretty much all of the combat changes from IV

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I never posted my Final Nanashi so here he is:

You probably shouldn't go above 200 per stat since diminishing returns & all that, but I got a +50 STR/DEX accessory late in the game and ended up with a shitload of stat ups so I figured why not use them

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Metroixer posted:

this thread got me to pick EO4 back up and i'm at the 4th labyrinth. the third place with the ice picks was kind of a slog but it picked up again and the new fight music is cool. this is my first eo and i like it a lot but i'm not very good at it. hope i can beat it

EO4 was my first as well but I ended up beating it and slaying rear end towards the end. What's your team?

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
i wanted to keep things simple so i went landsknecht, fortress, medic, dancer, and geomancer. the geo and land have basically been glass cannons and the other three have been keeping them alive. unlocked the ability for them to have a second class but haven't really done anything with that except letting the landsknecht attack twice with nightseeker stuff which seems to be paying off.

i don't think i've run into any big holes with the team except for when the ghost things in the second labyrinth had a high evasion rate and now these chameleons that keep using camouflage in the library... don't know if there's some sort of trick with them

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

I don't know if the game says it anywhere, but blinding or leg binds completely negate evasion so you can hit the chameleons even when theyre invisible. status effects in general are very strong in EO games, its a lot of fun locking down a boss while you take your time setting up a nasty link combo on it

not really a backlog game but I'm playing EO Nexus and its sick though I'm still early on. I'm running an imperial, protector, nightseeker, zodiac, and arcanist. I'll share my guild card when I get a chance

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Metroixer posted:

i wanted to keep things simple so i went landsknecht, fortress, medic, dancer, and geomancer. the geo and land have basically been glass cannons and the other three have been keeping them alive. unlocked the ability for them to have a second class but haven't really done anything with that except letting the landsknecht attack twice with nightseeker stuff which seems to be paying off.

i don't think i've run into any big holes with the team except for when the ghost things in the second labyrinth had a high evasion rate and now these chameleons that keep using camouflage in the library... don't know if there's some sort of trick with them

The cool thing I've learned about EO is that basically any team composition you come up with is workable. That said, you might want to look into swapping out that Medic main for something else if you find the later fights taking too long or being too difficult. Like I said tho, I think that's a totally fine team comp so if it continues working for you then don't change it

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Also, Fortress subclassed with Dancer is incredible. Evasion plus tankiness ftw

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Triple post swag. I swapped my Sovereign's subclass from Survivalist to Medic for some revive skills. Nectars are lovely at this point in the game and the upgraded versions are super rare.

I initially went with Survivalist for the speed/evasion passives and access to Bows, thinking she would be able to lay down decent damage if need be, but with a Gunner and Nightseeker there's really no need.

:hai:

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

I've been distracted by other games so I'm still early on. I feel good about my team so far, but I feel like my Imperial isn't doing as much damage as I was expecting. That might change once I get the elemental drives, if not I might have to swap them out for a different phys attacker. The arcanist has been great at locking down nasty encounters and keeping everyone healed but they don't have much to do once their circles are out, I'm thinking sovereign would be a good subclass so that they can at least do buffs once theyre set up

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Also, Fortress subclassed with Dancer is incredible. Evasion plus tankiness ftw

this was swag, I remember doing the full party protect move and just straight evading the entirety of one of the postgame dragons ultimate attacks :qfg:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I liked EO4 but I think I'm too stupid for actually figuring out Party Comp.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

In Training posted:

It's not as intense as it sounds, there's just a lot of information to take in. What you essentially want is a front and backline dps, a binder/status ailment guy, and the last spot can be basically anything.. but usually support. That's like the quintessential skeleton of a traditional party. What's cool is most of these roles can be combined into 1 party member, especially after subclassing. Just read the skill information as you're building your team.

To the guy above: Hero is OP if you wanna give him a shot in place of your imperial. Sovereign is amazing at maintenance but lacks a burst heal/revive, but I think it would work well on an Arcanist main.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

started dark moon again today. it’s good.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

In Training posted:

I'm pretty early in EO4 but I've been told that just about any balanced party can get through the game without much trouble. I went Fortress/Lands/Nightseeker in front Medic/Arcanist (or whatever the Mage class is) in back and it's been good. I built my party around which character portraits were the least skeezy :sweatdrop:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

C-Euro posted:

I'm pretty early in EO4 but I've been told that just about any balanced party can get through the game without much trouble. I went Fortress/Lands/Nightseeker in front Medic/Arcanist (or whatever the Mage class is) in back and it's been good. I built my party around which character portraits were the least skeezy :sweatdrop:

wimp

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

What's kind of silly about 4 is that you're unlocking new classes right up to like the 2nd to last dungeon. Your new recruits eventually start at a boosted level though, I think 40, so it's not completely damaging if you wanna try em out. You have the same setup as the other guy playing 4, so like I said if it's working then don't change anything. Though you might want a sniper or arcanist for the binds

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

i started a classic mode in EO Untold last night. i'd hosed around with the story mode for a couple of hours when i picked it up like three years ago and just totally bounced off of it, but now that i'm in classic mode, i'm fully hooked. i turned it on to test a few things, see how it felt, and suddenly, i looked up and it was three hours later. i'm trying to go for a very different party lineup than the one i used in EO4, just to mix things up.

after a bit of tweaking, it looks like my regular party is going to be ronin, dark hunter, alchemist, survivalist, and troubadour, but i might switch the troubadour out with a hexer. still deciding that one.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

EO is the most dangerous time sink for me too. Like I just meant to clear this dungeon floor but it's 3 hours later and I'm still working on it.

I'm in the last labyrinth of Nexus now and the random encounters are no joke. If I get jumped they can wipe 3-4 of my party members before I can even act. It's making me actually use the preemptive strike skill which I never bothered with before.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I beat EOX. I'm gonna do some postgame stuff but if it becomes a slog I'm gonna start something else. Probably a more chillaxe style game after all this hardcore poo poo. Thinking maybe a DQ or I might pick up Alliance Alive for something completely new

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Haven't touched EO since that last post but I'm slowly making my way through OoT 3D Master Quest on weekends. I just beat Forest and thought the dungeons would be way tougher than they actually have been thus far, but maybe that will change.

I also got a coupon for Metroid Samus Returns for my birthday last week and I'm sad to say it's kind of mediocre. It just doesn't control that well IMO and you feel just a little too weak while everything else feels just a little too strong.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I made it through most of master quest but gave up at the spirit temple. It feels like a fan mod, and the original game is so good I don’t get the point of messing with the formula.

I feel like playing MM again. I didn’t really understand the hate for the remake. Even if I didn’t like some of the little changes they at least tried to put a little spin on it.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I started Alliance Alive and it's like a weird combination of DQ, Bravely, and FF9. Plus there's a battle formation system not unlike FF13. Like you don't level up at all and you randomly get hp/mp ups after battle. The game keeps track of your progress and depending on the enemies you fight determines whether those proc. It's basically impossible to grind so that's cool.

A lot of stuff just isn't explained to you and I had to read some gfaqs topics just to get a handle on things. I'm digging it a lot more now that I understand the basics but there's still some things I don't get. They introduce a lot of systems right off the bat though so I'm sure I'll pick it up by the time I actually get to those.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

they're releasing a HD version of that game later this year for some reason

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Tales of Woe posted:

they're releasing a HD version of that game later this year for some reason

That's a weird choice lol, not that it won't be good but it reminds me of the smaller jrpgs from the ps1/ps2 eras. There's no voice acting which is fine but text only cutscenes feels like ancient history

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I played a bit of the previous game, Legend of Legacy. I like certain things about it but the magic system is absolutely abysmal. You have a kind of Chrono Cross-esque elemental field that changes dominance based on how many spells of that element have been cast. You have to form contracts with spirits of the same element in order to cast spells (a restriction which, notably, does not apply to enemies) and you lose the contract if an enemy casts a spell of that element. So half the time you'll go to cast a water spell only to have the element ripped away from you so your character simply fails to cast.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

In Training posted:

ive been playing nexus on and off .. i just picked 4 dps, 2 of them have binds and stuff like that and one has some buffs. and my last character is a healer/gatherer type sory havent played in a few days cos of sekiro so cant remember the exact classes. you can make whatever you have work probably.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

playing through OoT again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I beat The Alliance Alive just now, it's a decent lil jrpg. Wouldn't be my first or even 10th choice to recommend someone but it's a solid game. Relatively short and I didn't know this going in, but it's meant to be replayed a bunch of times which I'm not gonna do. I was wondering why I was only able to get a handful of skills for my party.

Buy this if you've already played the dozen other S tier RPGs on 3ds