Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Just watched the latest one. Meh I'm starting to not really like these. I basically figured out the gist of the episode early on and nothing really changed or got interesting. I'd rank the first 3 episodes as the better ones so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
New one might be one of the all-time worst in any incarnation of the show. I can't think of anything good to say about it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The absolute most hackneyed thing I've ever seen. Nothing new, nothing clever, not informed by any genuine political insight, and requires so much suspension of disbelief that it can't compete with the actual reality it's hamfistedly trying to allegorize. I felt embarassed for Jordan Peele having to dignify this with a closing monologue.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

That might have been the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Was this a rejected Black Mirror script that someone found in the garbage?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
CBS has had no idea how to handle this property since Serling's death. At least in the 80's incarnation, they gave a lot of episode duties to horror vets, in a similar way Tales from the Darkside and Monsters did, and they were obviously having dumb fun with it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lmao that episode owned, actually.

Like, yeah, it wasn't subtle at all. They were using the fear from the old Billy Mumy episode and latching it to whole "Erosion of what is considered normal, erasure of the truth" Trump era. We all saw it coming a mile away, it was completely ham-fisted and the set-up for it took way too long, but that's the Zone for you. Sometimes it's Telly Sevalas fighting with a creepy doll and sometimes it's a blustering red scare freak who gets eaten by his own parrot.

The only thing that's a little weird about the series has been the R rating. Like, fine, Serling hated censorship and fought tooth and nail to get TV to be able to include more, sure, but they seem to mostly just be using it to drop a couple F-bombs and they always feel obligatory, like "let's earn that R this time."

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Tiggum posted:

Was this a rejected Black Mirror script that someone found in the garbage?

It's really not all too different to The Waldo Moment episode of Black Mirror, so I had trouble maintaining interest through this ridiculous run-time.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FauxLeather posted:

It's really not all too different to The Waldo Moment episode of Black Mirror, so I had trouble maintaining interest through this ridiculous run-time.

Yeah. The Waldo Moment was at least prescient, though, this is more after the fact commentary. I still laughed in a very "Oh, Twilight Zone!" way at the end, though

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I actually thought this was the first episode where the runtime didn't feel too long. The pacing for me felt fine. Not that it matters though, because overall the episode was pretty bad.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

The only thing that's a little weird about the series has been the R rating. Like, fine, Serling hated censorship and fought tooth and nail to get TV to be able to include more, sure, but they seem to mostly just be using it to drop a couple F-bombs and they always feel obligatory, like "let's earn that R this time."

I agree with this 100%. Here and there is fine, but yeah. Really feels like they are doing it just for the sake of doing it.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Watched 1,2,3 and 5. This is agressively mediocre. From what I saw not a single concept was taken to an interesting direction. I felt like I've seen all these stories done in a more interesting way before. Real disappointment

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
I love this show and you all are goonin

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Yeah, I really wish Keeyan Peele had more to do with the writing and producing. His movies have been a little uneven but at least they're interesting to think about.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Lmfao. This episode is exactly what I signed up for. Keep this poo poo coming forever.

President Pissbaby dumping a bucket of balls on the ground and declaring a hole in one was an amazing amazing moment.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
The most recent ep was better but I came by to see if others shared my overall disappointment in the show and I'm not disappointed. I guess hopes were pretty high for this. I saw it mentioned that it's been renewed so maybe things will pick up when they get back in the writer's room.

I agree with someone else that said the 80's reboot had some real gems. They also had the benefit of using good writers and good source material (Ray Bradbury, Harlan Ellison, Greg Bear, Arthur C. Clarke). It seemed like they were still in the habit of adapting popular science fiction/horror/fantasy short stories like the original series often did.

And even the 2000's had what I thought was a nice twist on the classic Monsters Are Due on Maple Street, (instead of aliens taking over the world by sowing fear and chaos in neighborhoods, it's a government experiment designed to see how long isolated communities would be able to self-sustain the event of a terrorist attack.)

I honestly don't know what they're doing with this reboot, it seems all over the place, yet in some ways completely uninspired.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Lmfao. This episode is exactly what I signed up for. Keep this poo poo coming forever.

President Pissbaby dumping a bucket of balls on the ground and declaring a hole in one was an amazing amazing moment.

The sweating, horrified "It was not a hole in one" reminds me of the drunken rant from Anthony's birthday party in the original. I'm loving the show, I'm sorry it's not clicking with other people. It's not Black Mirror, but I don't want Black Mirror, we already have that. I think the Philip K. Dick series on Amazon fulfills the "What the gently caress did I just watch?" quotient for this kind of thing, Black Mirror does a good job of doing a kind of prescient examination of the darker parts of human nature, and the new Twilight Zone kind of grabs your hands, looks you in the eye over the campfire, and says "And the murderer turned out to be... a time traveling Hitler!"

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

The Twilight Zone has never really been “what the gently caress have I watched” kind of show. With the original it’s just that many of the boomers were like 10 when watching it, so to them (many who never went back and rewatched) it was incomprehensibly mysterious and spooky and whatnot and that just got carried forward. Even Futurama gets a dig in when it calls it “The Scary Door” in that goofy psuedo-mysterious tone. It’s campy, like a campfire story.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Peacoffee posted:

It’s campy, like a campfire story.

Yeah, that's what I want from it.

This week's episode felt a little too optimistic for what the twist was, and the beginning of it felt a little 50s/80s (also the Whipple thing is starting to get a little too thick), but I am extremely on board for next week's episode, which, if you watch the preview, appears to be about a bunch of nice guys suddenly getting violent and is literally titled "Not All Men." That's about the level of subtlety I expect from the Zone, haha.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

This week's episode felt a little too optimistic for what the twist was, and the beginning of it felt a little 50s/80s (also the Whipple thing is starting to get a little too thick), but I am extremely on board for next week's episode, which, if you watch the preview, appears to be about a bunch of nice guys suddenly getting violent and is literally titled "Not All Men." That's about the level of subtlety I expect from the Zone, haha.

Aw man I was gonna cancel for this month because I was short on money but that title alone makes me want to shuffle funds around.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Finally watched the last two episodes. Didn’t care for Wunderkind, not because it was so on the nose, but because it didn’t do anything clever with the premise. It was like an extended SNL bit played mostly straight. At least The Waldo Moment was lucky enough to air pre-Trump. Doing the same thing now just elicits ambivalence because the real life inspiration isn’t that far removed from the scenario presented.

This week’s episode was better, but the twist (or at least some version of it) was obvious and as a result the plot became predictable. Decent enough, but nothing memorable. It’s too bad, because the initial premise of the crew having to decide between aborting and staying on earth to die or launching as a means of permanent escape could have been interesting. This week never felt like a Twilight Zone episode, more like something from the 90’s Outer Limits.

Next week looks like it has potential though :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

This week's episode felt like a short story from the '60s. And in that context it could have been fine, but on a modern TV show it just felt weirdly outdated.

Bicyclops posted:

It's not Black Mirror, but I don't want Black Mirror, we already have that.
Black Mirror is bad for completely different reasons to this show.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
This one I actually liked.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

This one was okay. Though it would have benefited from being like 15% shorter like every episode so far.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I thought the most recent was an improvement too, fairly classic, but still solid.

Bicyclops posted:

I saw the preview for this too and the best ending would be if they discover that the meteorite that they think is responsible for the sudden changes in male behavior is actually completely benign and the guys are just losing their poo poo because why not, or even better, because they're just over the trend of hyperbolic, 1-dimensional representations of themselves as homicidal misogynists in modern media.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 4, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The Mars episode was 40 minutes too long.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I liked this one. A little preachy, but Twilight Zone has basically always been a little preachy.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
Interesting that this episode was a little shorter too, only 42 minutes versus the 50-ish of the other ones. It felt pretty silly at parts but overall managed to be a pretty solid episode - no real massive gaps in pacing either.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yeah I was into this one all the way through it. Never got bored like... a couple others.

Very on the nose. Did you notice the red hats on some of the guys?

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Kinda triggering episode. I'll have to rewatch; my initial reaction was to dislike it because it was uncomfortable to watch at times, and I want to give it more of a shot

I loved the opening for this one, though. I got sucked in and totally forgot I was watching TTZ until Jordan Peele emerged from the shadows

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

The director of this episode must have known how boring and turbo-woke the other episodes were turning out so decided to shoot this one as a comedy.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

-Blackadder- posted:

I saw the preview for this too and the best ending would be if they discover that the meteorite that they think is responsible for the sudden changes in male behavior is actually completely benign and the guys are just losing their poo poo because why not.
Wow, so I pretty much called it.

Interestingly this episode was based on a sci-fi short story from the 60's called "The Screwfly Solution" which was also adapted as a Masters of Horror episode. So they just threw in some (hash)tags from the current zeitgeist and called it good.

This one definitely moved a lot faster which helped it a lot. I think it was mentioned earlier, but it's interesting that seeing the show in modern times highlights how easily we forget how much the classic series were a bunch of ham-fisted, even hyperbolic, on the nose moral stories with twist endings that would make Shyamalan blush.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

-Blackadder- posted:

Wow, so I pretty much called it.

Interestingly this episode was based on a sci-fi short story from the 60's called "The Screwfly Solution" which was also adapted as a Masters of Horror episode. So they just threw in some (hash)tags from the current zeitgeist and called it good.

This one definitely moved a lot faster which helped it a lot. I think it was mentioned earlier, but it's interesting that seeing the show in modern times highlights how easily we forget how much the classic series were a bunch of ham-fisted, even hyperbolic, on the nose moral stories with twist endings that would make Shyamalan blush.

Yeah, the Twilight Zone was never subtle. It basically was just sci-fi/fantasy enough that the censors and ad guys overlooked the obvious messaging that they wouldn’t have allowed if the show was a contemporary drama.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

garthoneeye posted:

Yeah, the Twilight Zone was never subtle. It basically was just sci-fi/fantasy enough that the censors and ad guys overlooked the obvious messaging that they wouldn’t have allowed if the show was a contemporary drama.

Oh, they didn't overlook it. Rod Serling spent so much of his life fighting with them that it probably killed him before his time by Rage Smoking.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

This was quite intense and fun to watch

But, also, what the gently caress did I just watch? I feel like I just had to sit through some sinister propaganda piece from the 30s and I feel a little bit dirty for having enjoyed it. (And the plot didn't even make sense internally. Like, if it was just the placebo effect then why were all the people getting red eyes and strange white veins all over their bodies?)

Also, this is exactly my kind of batshit insanity so I think I'm gonna go watch the rest

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Opferwurst posted:

(And the plot didn't even make sense internally. Like, if it was just the placebo effect then why were all the people getting red eyes and strange white veins all over their bodies?)

Nothing makes sense, once you step into.... the Twiwoke Zone.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Opferwurst posted:

And the plot didn't even make sense internally. Like, if it was just the placebo effect then why were all the people getting red eyes and strange white veins all over their bodies?

I don't think it was exactly a placebo, it was more like alcohol; if you get angry and violent when you're drunk, that's not the alcohol's fault. It's just lowering your inhibitions so you're more likely to do the socially unacceptable things you always had a propensity for anyway. Like, if the husband had been super drunk instead of affected by the meteor then he probably would have reacted to the guy on the motorbike the same way, he just wouldn't have had the super-strength that (I guess) the meteor gave people?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I liked the idea but found the episode poorly shot and directed.
this subject deserves a redo.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Heard this has a trump-referencing episode. this comes from someone in my DnD group who watches Ben Shitpeero, so how accurate is he being, or is he just seeing poo poo that isnt there or what

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Heard this has a trump-referencing episode. this comes from someone in my DnD group who watches Ben Shitpeero, so how accurate is he being, or is he just seeing poo poo that isnt there or what

The episode where the child runs for President is pretty openly about Trump IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Neither this episode nor child prez actually map to Trump in any clear way, so tell your friend maybe his subconscious is trying to tell him something.