Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

I, Yvonmukluk, being of sound mind, do oath 3 28mm Games Workshop Primaris Space Marine Intercessors, and 3 28mm Games Workshop Primaris Space Marine Reivers for July 2018.

Approved!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Oath Complete!

Half Orc merchant, here to hawk his wares.

An elementalist, about to give someone a bad case of 'being on fire'.

A summoner mid ritual, bringing forth a spectral minion to wreak havoc.

An illusionist, painting his spells into the very air with his magic brush and palette.

Of course when enough wizards gather in one place, this can mean nothing but trouble!

Claiming July - Feel the Burn for the elementalist and summoner, while the illusionist does have a bit of a glow it's much subtler (as appropriate!) - also claiming The Daily Double for the blending on the elementalist's hair and the freehanded school icons on all their backs.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yvonmukluk posted:

I, Yvonmukluk, being of sound mind, do oath 3 28mm Games Workshop Primaris Space Marine Intercessors, and 3 28mm Games Workshop Primaris Space Marine Reivers for July 2018.

Oath Complete! Sorry for the potato camera.

Claiming Feel The Burn for the flame heraldry. Also claiming Take one for the team, since they're going to be a Kill Team.

I'm also going to claim The Daily Double, for Obligatory Conversion Month and This is an Art Attack, since both of my sergeants have headswaps (the Intercessor with the Salamanders head from the Deathwatch sprue and the Reiver with a Brother Titus from the Space Marine Heroes range), and I added some extra grenades to the Reivers' torsos, although I'm not sure if the photo picked it up.
Here's the Intercessor Sergeant and standard Reivers for comparison.

Kinda frontloaded my acheivements this year, I guess. I could also technically claim A Faithful Replica, since I copied the flame designs from the Warhammer TV instructions, but presumably it has to be the whole miniature?

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 22, 2019

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
:siren: June Judgements! :siren:

Third Place, 1 point: Brock Samsonite

This robot looks like it's been built out of spare parts from a storage tank, left to rust out on the beach, then kicked around by a boat propeller. It's muted and corroded in a way that makes it seem realistic. (Nice water effects, too!)

Second Place, 2 points: Duct Tape

Okay, these Grey Knights are sort of the opposite of corroded, but they still have that signature style you bring to your work; excellent highlights and desaturated shadows. I like the bluish tinge to the metal in particular.

First Place, 3 points: Mikey Purp

The level of detail on this frog-lich is just astounding. You really went for the crystal-skull motif, and it's paid off handsomely. The central figure seems to be radiating cold light, but the mosaic on the rest of the palanquin is so primitive and vibrant. Outstanding work!

Bonus Point: NTRabbit

Naughty bits aside, the before-and-after corrosion on these guardian statues is pretty terrific.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Bonus Point: NTRabbit

Naughty bits aside, the before-and-after corrosion on these guardian statues is pretty terrific.

Yay thanks :buddy:

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
:kingsley:June judgement!:kingsley:

Third place, 1 point: Mikey Purp

The lovely OSL gives the whole thing a quite spooky look. The altar is very nice, and everything looks like the things they're supposed to be, without being too clean or too messy, but more as if the janitor gave it a quick sweep, then got the hell out. The hover effect is pretty great too.

Second place, 2 points: Brock Samsonite

This robot almost looks more weathered on the bottom part, as if it has stomped around in the saltwater. The general weathering is nice, and I always love those bases.

First place, 3 points: Grizzled Patriarch

There's a lot that I like about this one. The cracked armor is a nice touch, and the texture on the shoulderpad makes it really obvious that it's a different metal. The verdigris is pretty good, the stone looks like it's been sitting around for a long time, and I really like the difference in bone color on the hammer. Nice job.

Bonus, 1 point: NTRabbit

These are certainly very greek. I like the lack of color, so you really notice the weapons and verdigris.

Electric Hobo fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 24, 2019

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I should check my PM's more often. I love weathering so this month was a joy to judge.

:pcgaming: June Judgement (edit: whoops I had my bonus point and 3rd place the wrong way round)

3rd Place (1 Point): Duct Tape

A clean, crisp, and effective paint job.

2nd Place (2 Points): NTRabbit

This really stood out to me when it was posted. Though relatively simple, everything comes together beautifully.

1st Place (3 Points): Grizzled Patriach

The variety and quality of different materials and weathering that you have here make you an easy choice for first this month. From the subtle difference between the weapon bone and the, uh, "living" bone, to the horns and stone and metals, you've given every material a lot of thought and attention. I especially like the build up of moss on the stone hammer.

Bonus Point: gameraMan

I'm impressed with the depth of colour you have in the stonework, and the build up of soot is great, as well as the burning logs.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 26, 2019

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Ahh thank you judges, I am chuffed :3:

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
:catdrugs: June Judgement :catdrugs:

3rd Place (1pts): Mikey Purp

If HR Geiger went on a Stargate binge, this is about what would come out of it. Love the color choices, water effects, and the OSL is just great.

2nd Place (2pts): Zark the Damned

Though these stone men aren't covered in traditional model weathering, dirt and soot, but they've definitely seen eons passed and weathered the test of time. Love them!

1st Place (3pts): gameraMan

This looks straight out of an old, weathered cabin lost in the woods. The soot buildup is just :kiss: and the flames are spot on to boot.

Bonus (1pts): Grey Hunter

Bonus point goes to the muddiest boys of the month!

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Oath Complete

This is only the second batch I've painted since reentering the hobby after a 15 year hiatus. I'll figure out how to properly photograph minis in due time. These stinkboys were somewhat unsatisfying for 2 reasons: firstly because I'm starting from scratch and don't have many paints to work with yet and I think Plague Marines need many more colors than I have at hand, and secondly because I ordered the Nurgle parts from the Dark Imperium set off Ebay and it wasn't until I started painting them that I realized how messed up some of the molds were, and by that point I had done too much to them to return them for a refund. There were a bunch of parts that looked like slimy details but were actually mold fuckups, and I'll have to be vigilant about that in the future.

I left a few items just primed and washed because I didn't have any colors for them, like a couple of the severed heads and the plague fly hovering over the squad leader's backpack, so I definitely have room to improve these rudeboys later. I think the poxwalker models in my set are really nice but I think I'll step away from Nurgle for a while until I have more paints and washes to do them justice, and my next project will be something simpler and cleaner to paint like some tac marines or maybe some Necron warriors or something like that.

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 26, 2019

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

More colours doesn’t always mean a better paintjob - some of my favourites are muted and limited palettes. For a 15 year break they look really good!

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ijyt posted:

More colours doesn’t always mean a better paintjob - some of my favourites are muted and limited palettes. For a 15 year break they look really good!

I get that, but what I want to do with these Nurgle models requires more stuff than I have. Part of it is because these models are just too busy - Nurgle's supposed to be all about rot and decay but these models are bursting with new growth - horn and bone, tentacle and parasite. The only decaying bits on the models are the humanoid skulls, usually stuffed with explosives to make plague grenades.

Even though they're thematically clashing with what I think of as Nurgle decay, I actually really like the tentacle elements to the models, so if I were to redo these guys down the road (after learning how to do some competent sculpting and modding) I'd probably keep the tentacles and try to emphasize the parasitic nature of the dudes, maybe with more fly motif stuff, but get rid of the bony growths altogether and most of the skull decorations.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Duct Tape posted:

Was camping for the first week this month, so only just got these guys assembled, magnetized, and primed.

I, Duct Tape, oath for July two Kastelan Robots and two Cybernetica Datasmiths from Games Workshop.

Oath Complete!

Had a fairly busy month, so was only able to paint these four guys. However, I now have six Kastelan Robots fully painted and magnetized. Which mean that, baring weird Apocalypse shenanigans, I'll never need to paint a robot again! Admech army nearing completion!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Woo double and triple thanks judges, feels good :yayclod:

Another last minute oath this month

I, NTRabbit, oath to paint for the month of July

Chief Mawlukah, Orc Sky Scraper by Mantic (28mm)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Oath Complete

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

Woo double and triple thanks judges, feels good :yayclod:

Another last minute oath this month

I, NTRabbit, oath to paint for the month of July

Chief Mawlukah, Orc Sky Scraper by Mantic (28mm)

Approved! Not long til the end of the month folks :D

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Oath Complete...

blluurrrgghh really struggled this month. i gotta figure out a better photo set up cause the blue i use for my entire army's armor keeps getting really washed out

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Dr. Gargunza posted:

:siren: May Judgements! :siren: sorry so late

Third Place, 1 point: Cat Face Joe

This is a really nice and subtle transition from warm to slightly-cooler. You've also done some interesting detail work on the rest of the model, besides just the hair. The overall paint job looks simple, but does its job without too much flash.

ijyt posted:

Bonus Point: Cat Face Joe

Nails May's theme, I really love the gentle gradient and the colour choice is spot-on.

forgot to say thanks for both of these. ive been oathing primarily to keep motivated so these were a nice surprise.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Oath Complete!

Insight markers!

Frog Spawns!

Clues!

Getting that lot done feels like a major milestone as I work through the big box of Hellboy, yet takes up very little of the box. Hmm.

Bonus image, the Agent Board and what some of the stuff is actually for:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Oath Complete!

First time trying OSL, not 100% happy with it but I think I just got too impatient with glazes and loaded a bit too much pigment, so at least it gives me a place to start next time.

Claiming A Recipe for Success for the following:

Robes:
- Basecoat of Scale75 Boreal Green
- Block in shadows with Vallejo Dark Sea Blue
- Smooth out shadows with glazes of 50/50 Dark Sea Blue and Boreal Green
- Highlight with glazes of 50/50 Boreal Green and Vallejo Iraqi Sand

Skin:

- Basecoat of P3 Underbelly Blue
- Wash with Citadel Carroburg Crimson
- Highlight with P3 Underbelly Blue
- Selective highlights with 50/50 mix of Underbelly Blue and Iraqi Sand

Armor:

- Basecoat of Vallejo Metal Color Steel
- Midtone of 50/50 Vallejo Metal Color White Aluminum and Dark Sea Blue
- Wash with Army Painter Strong Tone
- Edge highlight with White Aluminum
- Specular highlights with Vallejo Ivory

Rune Cloth:

- Basecoat Citadel Rakarth Flesh
- Midtone 50/50 mix of Rakarth Flesh and Iraqi Sand
- Highlight with 50/50 mix Iraqi Sand and Ivory
- Runes painted with Vallejo Model Air Hull Red

Gem / Eyes:

- Basecoat P3 Cygnar Blue Base
- Shade with 50/50 mix Vallejo German Camo Black Brown and Dark Sea Blue
- Midtone with 50/50 Cygnar Blue Base and Iraqi Sand
- Gem edge highlight with 50/50 mix Ivory and Cygnar Blue Base
- Eye OSL effect with glazes of Vallejo Andrea Blue

Staff:

- Basecoat German Camo Black Brown
- Wash with Strong Tone
- Midtone with P3 Gun Corps Brown
- Build up texture with streaks of 50/50 Gun Corps Brown and Citadel Balor Brown
- Highlight and texture with 50/50 mix of Gun Corps Brown and Iraqi Sand

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Oath Complete!

Claiming Feel the Burn :berninator:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Oath Complete

Going to be honest, although I love both of these models I struggled with painting them, I went through too many iterations of painting the pigs and then couldn't get the torch to come together properly (it looks better in person but still not great). Frustrating! But hey they're done, and I am claiming Feel the Burn for the lackluster torch.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
Oath Complete!

1 Female Efreeti!

I added some green-stuff'd flames to skin and hair, to make her a bit more mythic and a bit less cheesecake...

Claiming Feel the Burn cause flames...

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Oath Complete!

Heavy use of contrast this month due to All The Wood. Very nice for wet blending. Also had fun trying for an NMM effect.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Oath Complete!

10 blue horrors and 10 brimstone horrors. Here's everyone together (and sorry that I didn't have time for better pics):

And some pics of my favorites:

Claiming Feel the Burn and Take One for the Team

The blues were done mostly with contrast and some dry brushing while the brims were airbrushed. Contrast is still kind of tricky for me but I do like the results I got.

The basing was my first time using a technique where you use pva and then drop super glue onto it while still wet, The difference in drying times creates the bubbly crater effect. I love how it came out because it conveys movement and otherworldliness, but I will probably do the next units in a different color. I also tried to use a piece of opal reflective contact paper underneath that to make it seem like a portal opening up under their feet, but I don't think I left enough of it showing and the effect gets lost. I also tinted it yellow which I feel was a mistake. Lessons learned for next time, which is fine since I have about 80 more of these to paint.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 1, 2019

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Oath Complete

Claiming feel the burn for the pink flames on the sorcerer.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

:orks101: OATH COMPLETE :orks101:

Why yes, that is a shotgun armed Orc rocketeer wearing a hawaiian shirt and slacks, why do you ask?

The computer is for satisfying three threads with one post (Oath, Mantic, AMD) :buddy:

Claiming feel the burn for the rocket pack

Also claiming spic and span for the desk clean up

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

OK folks July is over!

quote:

August - Obligatory Conversion Month
Roll your own - Your model should be non-standard in some way. This could be a head or weapon swap, or you could go the whole hog and scratch built or sculpt your own miniature. If you're doing a simple conversion, show a 'standard' version of the model for comparison.
Adapt, Improvise and Overcome - Your model should have swappable parts. This could be different guns that plug in, magnetised arms with different equipment, or maybe something stranger like different coloured LEDs for different shields! Showcase the different configurations in your completion post.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Looking forward to the August challenges 👏

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Zark the Damned posted:

OK folks July is over!

check ur pms plz

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I, Icon of Sin, being of unsound mind, dark intent, and ill repute, oath to paint these minis this month:

There’s one snowtrooper squad, and one E-Web blaster. Both are by Fantasy Flight Games, for Star Wars: Legion.

I’m also feeling a Need for Speed here, with the 5 normal snowtroopers (all of them, minus the 2 with a flamethrower or an ion cannon) :getin:

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

Well work completely took over my life in July and as a result I didn’t get my oath done. Blah. Feels bad.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I, Grizzled Patriarch, pledge for the month of August one Beholder from Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

So, uh, speedrun done :v:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I, Ashcans, oath 1 ork Deffkopta for August

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I, Duct Tape, oath for August four Custodes Guards and one Tech-Priest Enginseer, all from Games Workshop.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I, Mikey Purp oath for the month of August one Seraphon Scar-veteran on Carnosaur from Games Workshop.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I, Yvonmukluk, oath 1 28mm Games Workshop Primaris Space Marine Captain for August 2019.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

:siren: Oath complete! :siren:

I'm claiming Need for Speed on this one, for 5 of the snowtroopers.

Original Oath:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

I, LazyAngel, Oath for August the Godsworn Hunt, from Warhammer Underworlds