Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Nevada Public Radio released their annual Restaurant Awards. Highlights:

Kaiseki Yuzu for Asian Restaurant of the Year
Silver Stamp for Bar of the Year. The "Platonic ideal of a beer bar," and the best bar in the universe. Okay, that last bit was my own comment, but yeah. Congrats to Rose and Andrew, it's well deserved.
Bazaar Meat for Strip Restaurant of the Year
James Trees got top marks, both for Best Management/Service at Al Solito Posto and Chef of the Year for being just plain a badass.
Main Street Provisions for New Restaurant of the Year

Lots of love for the Arts District, which is great to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

And just like that, it's the holiday season! Share your favorite seasonal eats and celebrations here, folks.

The Sand Dollar, long-time music venue and stalwart of the Chinatown bar scene, is having their nth annual Miracle on Spring Mountain. The whole bar is decorated with obscene amounts of (sometimes obscene) Christmas decorations. There's a special cocktail list developed by a team led by former Atomic Kitchen bar manager Chase - including a tequila/mezcal tiki drink served in a Santa-hat-wearing T-Rex glass. Open 3pm-4am every day. https://miracleonspringmountain.com/

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I'm having a little birthday shindig at the Silver Stamp on Monday night, 6pm-???. Taco truck and drink specials, plus a charity drive if people are in the giving mood. Drop by if you like, local nerds. I'll (probably) be the only rear end in a top hat in a Hawaiian shirt.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
We’ll be slinging pizzas till 8 but definitely thinking I can make a few extra and bring them by. Pretty sure my wife and some friends are there right now, haha.
The Thanksgiving potluck at the Stamp was a loving blast.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I was legit mad I couldn't make it to that. Had family things to take care of, even though we did our actual Thanksgiving dinner on Sunday. I was at the Stamp last night for a Boon gueuze tasting, though, and that ruled.

Pizzas are always welcome but like I said, we'll have Manny there with Somethin' to Taco 'Bout. He's making a special taco with my homemade pickled radishes and stuff, should be pretty great.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

bartolimu posted:

I was legit mad I couldn't make it to that. Had family things to take care of, even though we did our actual Thanksgiving dinner on Sunday. I was at the Stamp last night for a Boon gueuze tasting, though, and that ruled.

Pizzas are always welcome but like I said, we'll have Manny there with Somethin' to Taco 'Bout. He's making a special taco with my homemade pickled radishes and stuff, should be pretty great.

Ooh I missed the taco truck part, sounds awesome. Happy early birthday!!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Ah, happy birthday! I always forget that we have the same day! I'm flying up to Reno for work, though, so can't go, but I'll toast to you!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

bartolimu posted:

Nevada Public Radio released their annual Restaurant Awards. Highlights:

Kaiseki Yuzu for Asian Restaurant of the Year
Silver Stamp for Bar of the Year. The "Platonic ideal of a beer bar," and the best bar in the universe. Okay, that last bit was my own comment, but yeah. Congrats to Rose and Andrew, it's well deserved.
Bazaar Meat for Strip Restaurant of the Year
James Trees got top marks, both for Best Management/Service at Al Solito Posto and Chef of the Year for being just plain a badass.
Main Street Provisions for New Restaurant of the Year

Lots of love for the Arts District, which is great to see.

Thanks for this! I have a reservation at main street provisions for next Sunday.

Also got a res for Red Plate peking duck.

Such a fantastic town for food.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Main Street Provisions got another accolade: Best Comfort Food from the Review Journal. RJ Best of Vegas stuff isn't necessarily always the best indicator of quality (for years, Red Lobster got best seafood because voters are...voters), but they got this one right.

Speaking of MSP, they were closed last night for their one-year anniversary celebration. I managed to coattail in on someone else's invite, and godDAMN was it an amazing event. Passed appetizers included a new game meat chorizo I very much hope is on the new menu, grilled quail, and some amazing grilled prawns. At the end, Gio Mauro (chef/owner of Old School Pizzeria and Pizzeria Monzu) surprised us all by singing an Italian aria. I didn't even know he was a trained singer.

Meanwhile, Red Dwarf is finally open. The pizza oven is on hold still due to inspections and such, but they're slinging drinks and I believe they have some other food stuff on offer. Cocktails on the menu include a Painkiller, Mai Tai, Halekulani, and a few other tiki mainstays.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

bartolimu posted:

Main Street Provisions got another accolade: Best Comfort Food from the Review Journal. RJ Best of Vegas stuff isn't necessarily always the best indicator of quality (for years, Red Lobster got best seafood because voters are...voters), but they got this one right.

Speaking of MSP, they were closed last night for their one-year anniversary celebration. I managed to coattail in on someone else's invite, and godDAMN was it an amazing event. Passed appetizers included a new game meat chorizo I very much hope is on the new menu, grilled quail, and some amazing grilled prawns. At the end, Gio Mauro (chef/owner of Old School Pizzeria and Pizzeria Monzu) surprised us all by singing an Italian aria. I didn't even know he was a trained singer.

Meanwhile, Red Dwarf is finally open. The pizza oven is on hold still due to inspections and such, but they're slinging drinks and I believe they have some other food stuff on offer. Cocktails on the menu include a Painkiller, Mai Tai, Halekulani, and a few other tiki mainstays.

So stoked to check out Red Dwarf (even if it has no relation to the TV show), it’s literally down the street from me. A neighborhood tiki bar sounds a-ok to me.

We had our one year anniversary at Vegas Test Kitchen on Saturday and goddamn it was slammed. We sold out after 150 pizzas made, just an all out great day and celebration.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I was glad to hear Test Kitchen did a thing. I was out of town (drove back Sunday morning to make MSP's thing) or I would've tried to check it out. Jolene dropped by MSP though, so I got to congratulate her on another success story.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Our neighborhood tiki joint had been tiki di amore, but it's a bit cool this time of year.

Planning on hitting up Red Dwarf tonight, actually. The really bad part about it is that it's directly between my house and the gym...

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I've been hanging out at Red Dwarf a loooot, and I love it. Innovative cocktails, good crew, great decor and music, and the beer list is phenomenal. Let's just say, for funsies, you ordered one of every beer on the menu last friday.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Hell yeah, well done.

Red Dwarf is an outstanding place. I went there with my drinking buddy during the holidays and ended up hanging out with an off-duty bartender, and a rum rep. We tried every cocktail on the menu (including the seasonal eggnog, which was great) plus some suitcase samples, and we were there about five hours longer than planned. No regrets, except maybe in the morning. I can't wait for their inspections to finally to through so they have pizzas. At this point it's rather dangerous to go there unless I've already had dinner somewhere else.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Hay guys, I've never had a Bahn Mi. What place would you recommend that has a good one?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Lee's on spring mountain. Not the best, but a good introduction.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Short notice, but tonight is Silver Stamp's (first) anniversary party. Tapping a special Belgian sour cast at 3:00, and an unfiltered pilsner at 6:00, other specials and fun things throughout the day.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

bartolimu posted:

Short notice, but tonight is Silver Stamp's (first) anniversary party. Tapping a special Belgian sour cast at 3:00, and an unfiltered pilsner at 6:00, other specials and fun things throughout the day.

Can’t wait, we’ve got a 2/22 event at VTK till 8pm but coming by after with some pizzas. Fairly certain Mama from This Mama’s House is gonna be there slinging Vietnamese bites, don’t miss out.
I’ve asked Andrew and Rose to save me a glass of that sour but I’m sad cause I’m certain it’ll be tapped by the time we get there :(

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Dang, what a night to be back in Reno.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Dang, what a night to be back in Reno.

Gotta hit Chapel or Death and Taxes, or even Brasserie St James? Not Silver Stamp, sure, but good local Reno vibes.

Edit: I haven’t been to D&T in years so who knows it’s any good anymore

ogopogo fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 23, 2022

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Was at chapel all night. D&T is still awesome, and the owners opened up an amari place next door in the old Hub coffee spot.

Reno is also seeing another brewery renaissance.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Was an excellent time last night. I won a huge brewery flag in the raffle, and our table shared around pretty much all of the special bottle selection to spread out the cost. This Mama's fish sandwich was very tasty and sold out before I could order a second one.

I got to talk to Russel about the continuing contractor delays at Red Dwarf. Their original grease interceptor install plan wasn't good because of plumbing issues, so they had to resubmit with a new plan that involves tearing up half of the parking lot. IF everything goes according to plan, they should have that finished next week, with inspections following. Fingers crossed for pizza production to start March 9th.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

And sure enough, Red Dwarf is starting pizza service TONIGHT! On time, like some kind of miracle!

I've got a prior engagement, but I plan to head there on Thursday night for pizza, drinks, and probably more pizza and drinks.

There are still a couple of things on tap at Silver Stamp from their anniversary party. If you get the chance, I strongly recommend trying the balsamic beer (it's 7% balsamic, 93% beer, and unlike anything I've ever had) and the wine barrel aged Bon Chien. Both are worth a special trip, and I doubt we'll see another keg of either thing any time soon.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Red Dwarf Trip Report:

So glad there's food there now! Pizza is phenomenal - bread light and airy, sauce very nice. We had the white pie with the garlic sauce - really good. Wings competent. I drank Bell's Scotch Ale and Trinidad Sours all night. So happy!

Bart, text me when you get there tomorrow - I might come by, because I'm totally ready for a second round.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Went to Vegas last week and had some good nosh. Will post trip report soon.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I forgot to post that when I went to Vegas in December, I went to Red Plate in the Cosmo.

Red Plate is amazing. The bbq pork is the best I've ever had.

The problem is that it's $40 for like...a cutlet of it. And you'll devour it.

Other standout was crispy tofu.

The Peking duck was good but I wanted more drat pork. We got like 3 orders of it for our table of 6.

Ask for Vicky to be your server. I've eaten at double Michelin star restaurants that didn't have their level of service.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Just spent the night partying at Stadium Swim. The drinks, though pricey, are actually great. And at Barry's Downtown Prime I can say unequivocally that the seafood tower is worth it.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

For those unaware, Brian Howard (of Sparrow + Wolf) is on the cusp of opening his new restaurant, Half Bird, in Chinatown. The crew is doing a test run at Vegas Test Kitchen starting tonight, going through I think Sunday. Their Nashville hot chicken sandwich was one of the best bites at Unstripped last year, and their Instagram is full of great photos - including vegan-friendly sides and a whole rotisserie chicken if you're not in the mod for the fried stuff.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

bartolimu posted:

For those unaware, Brian Howard (of Sparrow + Wolf) is on the cusp of opening his new restaurant, Half Bird, in Chinatown. The crew is doing a test run at Vegas Test Kitchen starting tonight, going through I think Sunday. Their Nashville hot chicken sandwich was one of the best bites at Unstripped last year, and their Instagram is full of great photos - including vegan-friendly sides and a whole rotisserie chicken if you're not in the mod for the fried stuff.

Can confirm these are tasty as hell. We operate out of there and got to spend all day eating chicken sandwiches and fries. Chef Brian and the whole team (Chef Tony and Chef Richard on the line working hard) are really killing it.
Brian said they’ve just been waiting on some licensing from the city, which is a drag (dealing with the same issues ourselves). Half Bird will be a fun spot, can’t wait.

Edit: birds are chillin in the walk-in

Also bummed that we had to miss the lambic/gueze event Andrew and Rose at Silver Stamp were doing. The harsh realities of work.

ogopogo fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 29, 2022

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

ogopogo posted:

Also bummed that we had to miss the lambic/gueze event Andrew and Rose at Silver Stamp were doing. The harsh realities of work.

That event was loving amazing. I sat at the bar next to one of the owners of 5098 Bread. Stamp only had four of the twelve lambics being sampled by the podcast, but they supplemented with some bottles from distributors. After the podcast was over, we had a bottles share of Even More Lambics from our cellars. There was some pretty great stuff in that share, including a couple of Megablends from previous Tour events. I ended up spending about 12 hours at the Stamp that day, leaving only to have dinner with friends at Jammyland.

If anyone's looking for something to start the weekend off right, Ferguson's is doing Gin in the Alley. The pro move IMO is a quick early dinner at VTK before diving in.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

bartolimu posted:

That event was loving amazing. I sat at the bar next to one of the owners of 5098 Bread. Stamp only had four of the twelve lambics being sampled by the podcast, but they supplemented with some bottles from distributors. After the podcast was over, we had a bottles share of Even More Lambics from our cellars. There was some pretty great stuff in that share, including a couple of Megablends from previous Tour events. I ended up spending about 12 hours at the Stamp that day, leaving only to have dinner with friends at Jammyland.

If anyone's looking for something to start the weekend off right, Ferguson's is doing Gin in the Alley. The pro move IMO is a quick early dinner at VTK before diving in.

That sounds loving awesome!! Kris and Ryan from 5098 are really cool too. Glad to see the Stamp hit such success right outta the gate in the first year.

For the Gin event, you can use the this code IKNOWSOMEONE to get 10% off the ticket! And definitely come to VTK for some eats. Gonna have a good lineup in the kitchen this weekend - Winnie and Ethel’s diner and a Hawaiian food pop up among the pizza and sushi we’ve already got going!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Argh why can't gin be Saturday? I've got a big thing at herbs and rye on Friday, but I also want to drink gin downtown! Arggghhh.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

ogopogo posted:

That sounds loving awesome!! Kris and Ryan from 5098 are really cool too. Glad to see the Stamp hit such success right outta the gate in the first year.

For the Gin event, you can use the this code IKNOWSOMEONE to get 10% off the ticket! And definitely come to VTK for some eats. Gonna have a good lineup in the kitchen this weekend - Winnie and Ethel’s diner and a Hawaiian food pop up among the pizza and sushi we’ve already got going!

I bought my ticket a couple of weeks ago, but I'll share the code if any friends decide to buy in late. And yeah I was at a dinner party last night with Gemini and she told me the whole weekend schedule. I'm leaning diner food since I haven't tried any of the contest candidates yet.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Argh why can't gin be Saturday? I've got a big thing at herbs and rye on Friday, but I also want to drink gin downtown! Arggghhh.

Life is full of difficult choices. At least both of these involve good booze.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
This is like the one time they’ve put a Pour in the Alley on a Friday (first Friday, even) so who knows why. Should be really fun tho, looking forward to trying some of the cocktails.
Looks like the new Sanddollar lounge location at The Plaza kicked off nicely. I know Jameson has been putting a gently caress load of time into it this last year, proud of him on getting it open. I had lots of friends who went there last night and said it was a great space. Excited to check it out when I get a night free!

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
We’re collaborating with Revision Brewery out of Reno and doing a little beer braised short rib and beer cheese pizza with mushrooms, pickled red onions, and chives - selling them out of F Bar at Ferguson’s downtown tomorrow Saturday the 25th! 5-9pm, come drink cold beer and try awesome pizza!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I love Revision! I'll see if I can come down!

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Well the hotdog eating contest at Silver Stamp was super fun

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

ogopogo posted:

Well the hotdog eating contest at Silver Stamp was super fun

Awesome. I'm still dealing with some lingering fatigue from a bout of COVID (thanks coworker for spreading it to the whole office) and stayed in all weekend in recovery mode. Glad it was a good time, though.

If anyone's looking for a brief escape from the heat, the Pine Dining series at the Mt. Charleston Lodge is going to be pretty exciting.

quote:

Pine Dining is a Summer Chef Cookout Series taking place over eight weekends at the site of the historic Mt. Charleston Lodge. Acclaimed Las Vegas chefs are invited to curate “cookout” weekends for the ultimate mountain dining experience with all proceeds going to the nonprofit of their choice.

The first weekend is July 23rd and 24th, featuring James Trees (Esther's Kitchen, Ada's Wine Bar, etc.). Week 2 is Justin Kingsley Hall (Main Street Provisions). The other people scheduled are exciting, but Justin's is IMO the one to absolutely not miss. He made his name partially on outdoor cooking, and MSP's menu remains very outdoors-inspired despite the domesticated kitchen. This is going to be like a low-key Whiskey in the Wilderness experience.

Saturday sessions are planned food festival style, with tasting stations and bar service. Cost is $75, plus a $25 shuttle ride (pickups in Summerlin, Henderson, and on the Strip from Ellis Island) since there's no on-site parking.

Sunday is VIP day:

quote:

[A]n intimate chef’s table experience. Chefs are given free rein in service format to cater to a more intimate and elevated dining experience. Attendees will be guided through a coursed menu of unique items prepared by the weekly chef and enjoyed al fresco. Beverage included.

Tickets are significantly more - $175 plus shuttle - but are likely very worth it. The only downside is there's no shuttle service from Henderson on Sundays, so us southeast folk will have to head to the Strip for the Ellis Island pickup.

I'm leaning toward doing both Week 1 and Week 2, since I know those guys particularly well and love their food. Assuming my budget survives the first half of this month.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

bartolimu posted:

Awesome. I'm still dealing with some lingering fatigue from a bout of COVID (thanks coworker for spreading it to the whole office) and stayed in all weekend in recovery mode. Glad it was a good time, though.

If anyone's looking for a brief escape from the heat, the Pine Dining series at the Mt. Charleston Lodge is going to be pretty exciting.

The first weekend is July 23rd and 24th, featuring James Trees (Esther's Kitchen, Ada's Wine Bar, etc.). Week 2 is Justin Kingsley Hall (Main Street Provisions). The other people scheduled are exciting, but Justin's is IMO the one to absolutely not miss. He made his name partially on outdoor cooking, and MSP's menu remains very outdoors-inspired despite the domesticated kitchen. This is going to be like a low-key Whiskey in the Wilderness experience.

Saturday sessions are planned food festival style, with tasting stations and bar service. Cost is $75, plus a $25 shuttle ride (pickups in Summerlin, Henderson, and on the Strip from Ellis Island) since there's no on-site parking.

Sunday is VIP day:

Tickets are significantly more - $175 plus shuttle - but are likely very worth it. The only downside is there's no shuttle service from Henderson on Sundays, so us southeast folk will have to head to the Strip for the Ellis Island pickup.

I'm leaning toward doing both Week 1 and Week 2, since I know those guys particularly well and love their food. Assuming my budget survives the first half of this month.

Glad you’re feeling better, boooo to your coworker.

My wife is part of the F&B producing team for Pine Dining! I am very jealous she gets to spend 8 weeks up at the mountain helping the chefs at every event. Highly recommend going if anyone has the time/means. It’s a fantastic deal for the experience, I can’t wait to see how it turns out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Deathscorts are the true American heroes.
Is Unstripped not happening this year, or am I just terrible at Google? I'd think they'd have done some sort of announcement by now. Had an absolute blast last year, and I'd be tempted to fly back in for a few days purely to do that again.