Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Lockjaws driver has a haircut straight out of a skate park from 1992.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Oh my god, Duck vs Cobalt was perfect :stwoon:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I love how Ray Billings is such a great heel despite looking like such a schmuck

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

The Glumslinger posted:

Oh my god, Duck vs Cobalt was perfect :stwoon:

Duck is what happens when you create a fighting robot around the phrase "Is that all ya got?:bahgawd:"

And in a sport where direct weapon contact has a 1/10 risk of causing catastrophic failure, building to tank damage above all else has its merit

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Great Beer posted:

He is pretty much straight from the 90s. So that checks out.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Also Cobalt is obviously a really strong bot, easily will get top 16. Not too many bots can take such an incredible beating and win like Duck...

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

:siren:Blacksmith has won a match.:siren: Bombshell? :flaccid:

The Battlebots arena also claimed another victim. Still rooting for Cobalt though, what a beast.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Duck really got lucky there, Cobalt's spinner wasn't looking any worse for wear after dishing out a beating and then it somehow gets hopelessly stuck in the ground.

I know I unfairly whined about this last episode, but it all really comes down to a good bot being able to:

1. Survive driving around the box 3 minutes without getting stuck, the engine dying or bursting into flames

2. Survive its weapon hitting an immovable or heavy object

3. Survive a least one real hit

4. Survive being flipped

Everything else is secondary because at least half of the bots lose on account on one of these. Duck doesn't even have a real weapon, but it consistently crosses off all these boxes so it wins anyways most of the time.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jun 29, 2019

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Duck's basically following what made Original Sin the most winningest bot of all time.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Ironically, the actual original sin has been doing terribly.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Aww, the Ribbot guys were so happy to win a match. :3:

halo killer posted:

:siren:Blacksmith has won a match.:siren:
I'll add "Handing a win to Blacksmith" to my list of "Reasons to hate Kraken". :argh:

Great Beer posted:

It was also real lovely of him to keep smashing up Quantum when it was obviously frozen and out of the match.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Is the arena floor getting rougher every season? It seems like they aren't repairing it, and it's not really the featureless flat plane it used to be.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't know the rules exactly but how effective/illegal would it be to attach steel rods haphazardly to your robot with the idea of them getting jammed in a spinner/gears/whatever on impact? Like just position one exactly where the chain on Tombstone would be or something and wait for the attack.

I'm going to guess both ineffective and very illegal but if I were making a bot it'd just be a lifter and that lol, jam their man weapon then try and push them out of the arena

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 29, 2019

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't know the rules exactly but how effective/illegal would it be to attach steel rods haphazardly to your robot with the idea of them getting jammed in a spinner/gears/whatever on impact? Like just position one exactly where the chain on Tombstone would be or something and wait for the attack.

I'm going to guess both ineffective and very illegal but if I were making a bot it'd just be a lifter and that lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVxB8t68UvE&t=111s

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol I thought of that but I mean instead actually have them welded on.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Madurai posted:

Is the arena floor getting rougher every season? It seems like they aren't repairing it, and it's not really the featureless flat plane it used to be.

Yes. It was never exactly flat to begin with and the last 3 seasons have done it no favors. And with poo poo like Tombstone and Deep Six bouncing around I suspect it will be replaced next season.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Great Beer posted:

Yes. It was never exactly flat to begin with and the last 3 seasons have done it no favors. And with poo poo like Tombstone and Deep Six bouncing around I suspect it won't survive the season.

I wonder if they replaced that one light fixture

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I wonder if they replaced that one light fixture

Gotta stay on budget.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Madurai posted:

Possibly, the bots are also constantly trying to see how low they can get their wedges and thus increases the chance of bots actually getting under part of the floor.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

TeamBattleBots posted:

We do;

7.4.8 Single Robot Stuck If a single BattleBot or MultiBot segment becomes Stuck during a Match, the action taken will depend upon timing and other factors:

a. During a Match, if the BattleBot or MultiBot segment becomes Stuck to any part of the BattleBox, the Operators must be able to use the remote control to free their stuck Robot in 20 seconds or less. Otherwise, the BattleBot or MultiBot segment may be declared Incapacitated.

b. If a BattleBot or MultiBot segment becomes Stuck within the first 60 seconds of the Match, and remains Stuck for the specified 20 seconds, the Match may be stopped. If both competitors agree, the stuck Robot will be freed and the Match will be immediately re-started for the full time limit.

There is no prohibition against a Robot attempting to free a Stuck opponent Robot.

That said, a few things:

1).We did fix and patch the floor between seasons, and the crew fixed and patched the floor every night after each session (many times between fights when time allowed for it).

2).We’re thinking of some modifications to rule 7.4.8 for 2020: Specifically what happens to a robot when it’s stuck after the 60 second mark. Would love to have something that incentivizes the other robot to unstick them and keep the match going…

3).It’s a top priority for us to replace the entire floor. However, to date we have not gotten the budget to do so. Hopefully that will change for 2020.

4).All the builders know the floor can be uneven in spots. The possibility of getting stuck should be taken into consideration.

They posted about the floor on the reddit. It seems dumb they don't have the rules as you get X number of unsticks and then we go to judges decision or whatever

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The Glumslinger posted:

I love how Ray Billings is such a great heel despite looking like such a schmuck

That's at least 50% of why he's such a great villain figure. He's not wearing sunglasses and a cape and over-the-top, just smug and coupled with some genuine goofiness.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i think this last episode was full of great fights and blacksmith winning shows really how trash that hammer really is.

also i don't mind the floor catching the increasingly lower wedge plows they're fitting onto bots, it should be a risk that people face. i think they should definitely get a new floor though, i know they said that they might have the $$$ to do so next year hopefully.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's gotta be hard to ask for a budget increase for a better floor that they know will get torn the gently caress up as soon as Tombstone gets off centered and starts wailing around...

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It's gotta be hard to ask for a budget increase for a better floor that they know will get torn the gently caress up as soon as Tombstone gets off centered and starts wailing around...

Now I kinda wish they just let the set keep deteriorating as they go on for another 4-5 seasons.

How is the show doing btw?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

Now I kinda wish they just let the set keep deteriorating as they go on for another 4-5 seasons.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-friday-cable-originals-network-finals-6-21-2019.html

Not bad it looks like. Highest viewed show on discovery.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

One of the builders in a recent podcast said he wants the arena to become even crazier with hills and multiple terrains. That'd be interesting to see and would certainly shake-up robot designs. Maybe it would bring back walkers and tank treads.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Tied in the ratings with Sportscenter at 1am!

Also... what the flying gently caress is on cable these days. Jesus gently caress.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

halokiller posted:

One of the builders in a recent podcast said he wants the arena to become even crazier with hills and multiple terrains. That'd be interesting to see and would certainly shake-up robot designs. Maybe it would bring back walkers and tank treads.

Yeah if the current crop of robots can lose a fight by riding up on top of a tiny sliver of metal that's poking up from the battlebox floor and losing all traction and turning into a post turtle then there's no way they could deal with hills and bumps.

Also the Robot Wars arena really highlights battle robots' weakness to pit traps. :getin:

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also the Robot Wars arena really highlights battle robots' weakness to pit traps. :getin:

Also unopened pit traps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pll3dQj8OLE

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

If nothing else, it might make tracks a viable option instead of a novelty.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

halokiller posted:

Same but densely packed clay. Instead of haywire spinners flying all over the place, their blade just embeds into the dirt

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]
Unpopular opinion time: I think Battlebots should just use a flat featureless box with no hazards. I'd rather just see the bots fight instead of throwing a bunch of dumb variables in that can get in the way of a good fight.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Queering Wheel posted:

Unpopular opinion time: I think Battlebots should just use a flat featureless box with no hazards. I'd rather just see the bots fight instead of throwing a bunch of dumb variables in that can get in the way of a good fight.

Unpopular opinion, opposite direction: Battlebots should be outdoors with no spectators and fewer restrictions on weaponry.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Madurai posted:

Unpopular opinion, opposite direction: Battlebots should be outdoors with no spectators and fewer restrictions on weaponry.

Have the audience nearby in partially-sunken armored bunkers, the closer we can make the show to Robot Jox the better

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm an ep behind and rip Ragnarok, but also why the gently caress do people keep building bots that can't self-right. If I were building a bot the one thing I would absolutely make sure we had figured out was either a self-righting mechanism or a bot that runs the same flipped over. Getting flipped is the only thing you can be 100% for certain is going to happen in a match at some point and yet.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Robots are hard and nobody should build them.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

People can't even get their minibots to drive at all sometimes, it's really a mixed bag. I'm not sure if they forget to charge the batteries or what.

More people should build robots and there should be more arenas, though. What's the floor even made out of?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Chronojam posted:

People can't even get their minibots to drive at all sometimes, it's really a mixed bag. I'm not sure if they forget to charge the batteries or what.

Minibots do seems especially prone to failure.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pretty sure the minibots are total after thoughts when teams realize they still have 20 pounds before they hit the limit...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hmm, by luck I have just happened on a YouTube channel posting the Sci Fi bonus battles... and this one has an effective minibot...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsW0CKLzt0k