Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

No.1 Special posted:

Bob's Burgers was nice and sweet. Haven't seen Bless the Hearts.

Nerd alert!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Is episode 13 of Final Space it for this season?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yes that was the finale. Season 3 is looking extremely likely based on the creator's recent comments.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Bless the Hearts was.. kind of there? It feels like re-heated plots and jokes from better shows, put into a show.

I like that their Jesus isn't white, and voice by Kumail Nanjiani.

Nothing really stuck out as super awesome, or different, aside from Restaurant Wall Jesus.

This last Bob's Burgers episode was awesome though, I love Nat.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Agreed. BB season 10 is off to a good start.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
oh dang the first ep of Primal is on the adult swim website

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Jesus Genny D is not fuckin around with Primal

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

https://twitter.com/NetflixIsAJoke/status/1180543722695663616

So nearly half the people on my Twitter feed have been having hot takes on this scene. (especially with regards to the defenders/apologetics who are angry at the critics supposedly taking it out of context)

Personally, from what I've watched from Season 1, it strikes me as a 'surprisingly strong writing, but not enough to make me want to watch it regularly'

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
While that scene is enlightening, it's not enough to make me want to pick Big Mouth back up after I dropped it during the first season.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Anora posted:

Is episode 13 of Final Space it for this season?

Did it finish? How was this season? I heard the creator was taking the criticism he'd received and was going to start toning down Gary, but I didn't want to give it another shot til I'd heard some reviews.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's pretty good you guys

Yeah it's ugly but that's kind of the point. But it's the only show I can think of that's trying full-bore to tackle these issues, and in good faith too, not like "isn't all this LGBTQXYZ stuff so ca-raaaa-zay"

Seasons 2/3 are better than S1 too

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Data Graham posted:

Yeah it's ugly but that's kind of the point. But it's the only show I can think of that's trying full-bore to tackle these issues, and in good faith too, not like "isn't all this LGBTQXYZ stuff so ca-raaaa-zay"

It feels like it has two teams of writers on everything where they like, write the actual show and it's good then like have the B-team sprinkle in some edgelord humor and it feels unbearable a lot of the time. Like the gay kid, he's got totally reasonable plotlines, but like peppered with like the most basic and played out "lol gays" jokes. Same with the bisexual kid being like, peak bisexual stereotypes (he'll gently caress anyone or anything!! even a turkey or a couch!) it feels like the show is constantly undercutting and undermining the actual positive stuff they go for.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Phenotype posted:

Did it finish? How was this season? I heard the creator was taking the criticism he'd received and was going to start toning down Gary, but I didn't want to give it another shot til I'd heard some reviews.

Season 2 was basically the second half of season 1 polished up even more and I mean that in a good way. It's much more story heavy, heavier on the darker drama without losing out on the comedy and the expanded cast really really works to its benefit. Gary has also definitely improved. He's both grown a bit and simply works a lot better when he has a lot of folks to bounce off of.

One thing I really like about Final Space is that it manages to go very dark places with its story and yet it doesn't feel cynical like a lot of modern darker drama.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I thought conan did a pretty good job voice acting.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It feels like it has two teams of writers on everything where they like, write the actual show and it's good then like have the B-team sprinkle in some edgelord humor and it feels unbearable a lot of the time. Like the gay kid, he's got totally reasonable plotlines, but like peppered with like the most basic and played out "lol gays" jokes. Same with the bisexual kid being like, peak bisexual stereotypes (he'll gently caress anyone or anything!! even a turkey or a couch!) it feels like the show is constantly undercutting and undermining the actual positive stuff they go for.

Pretty much this. I'd say that Big Mouth is good and fairly funny, even if this season didn't seem to bring the heat quite as much. It's a really weird show in concept. Unfortunately, they seem to stumble backwards into unfortunate things occasionally. Like the context of the Ali Wong intro is that she is intentionally making a big attention-seeking introduction. She's over the top and then reveals at the end of the episode to Jay, the bisexual guy, that unlike the rumors that say she was expelled from her last school for kissing/fingering a nun, she actually just quietly told a friend that she was pan and wanted to date her and it went poorly. So she's going gently caress it, do it loud this time. It feels fine enough in intent, but even my not super woke rear end knows that it stumbles into some unfortunate stereotypes and hosed a few things up.

Edit: Oh, and cool, one of the creators apologized for it already: https://news.avclub.com/big-mouth-co-creator-apologies-for-its-inaccurate-scene-1838887345

That's a good sign at least.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 10, 2019

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
If anyone cares. Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal have 5 more episodes to be shown next year. It's a pretty good miniseries so far.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah it is. Good decision to have no dialogue besides grunts and shouting.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

The uh, monkey slaughter to cap off the 5th episode. Man. I was pumped to see a monkey get fist-sploded from the trailer but of course there would be so so much more. Primal is real cool and it's great that Genndy can make this sort of stuff.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Thanks to SGC2C, I will always know him as Comrade Gingersnap

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Phenotype posted:

I'm really liking it, and Gary is barely annoying any more.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So, I'm hearing Final Space gets better?

I just caught the first episode on TV and it was not good.

Wow, was it not good.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So, I'm hearing Final Space gets better?

I just caught the first episode on TV and it was not good.

Wow, was it not good.

I liked Season 1 but Season 2 is a major tone shift for the better. It's a bit more serious and the comedy is a lot stronger. They also tone Gary down quite a bit.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Season 1 is pretty rough for about the first half of it but gets better the more it focuses on the central plot and other characters besides Gary.

Season 2 is a massive improvement right from the start. Even Gary becomes a likable character in it.

Edit: \/ well a big part of Gary in the first season is he's gone a bit nuts from isolation. He gets better the more he deals with other people but it takes time.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 16, 2019

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That's good to hear.

I did like everything except Gary in the first episode and was hoping they'd dial him back a bit lot.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's a very pretty show too, for being goofy post-Family-Guy googly-eye line art tradition

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yeeeeeeeeeeees

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Yeah OK Primal is pretty drat good.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Anyone watch Seis Manos on Netflix? It seems to have flown under the radar. Starting the first episode now.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm in love with Primal right now

Edit:. That was a great show. I hope there is as series 2

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 21, 2019

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
There's five more episodes of Primal on the way.

As for Seis Manos, it was alright. It had the same animation style as DC movies and shows but they added some things to make it look like a grindhouse movie like grainy filters over some scenes and cigarette burns before scene changes. The show takes place in the 70s but they don't bring too much attention to it except for Brichter(?). Combined with the series is going for a grindhouse style, the characters start off as cut-outs but near the end of the season they start to grow some more. The action is pretty good though and is animated and directed well. If there's a second season I'll watch and I recommend you check it out at the very least.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

SalTheBard posted:

I'm in love with Primal right now

Me too, but I am legit mad about what just happened in episode 5 though.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

readingatwork posted:

Me too, but I am legit mad about what just happened in episode 5 though.

Me too

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Close Enough is going to be on HBOMax.

https://twitter.com/CNschedules/status/1189317730542981121

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Does this belong here?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlmswo0S0e0

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

John Witherspoon died at age 77 today. :(

Weren't they going to do a new Boondocks?

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

This was kickstart-ed, wasn't it? It was kind of good? I could see it being adult swim-ish (If adult swim decided to spend money for it) Some of the jokes were a bit stale, and over used, but there's some real fun character designs there. I'd be interested to see more.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

That's a shame. And yeah, new Boondocks was announced supposedly going straight to HBOMax, iirc. Who knows how far into production they were though. RIP.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I can't believe that one uncorroborated rumor was true. I'm glad it's finally getting released though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ThermoPhysical posted:

Apparently his son does a near perfect imitation of his dad's voice, so I wouldn't be surprised if they get him to play Grandad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
God damnit I'm going to have to get an HBO Max account. It's looking like they're pandering to the "manchildren who still like cartoons" demographic pretty hard.