Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

RuanGacho posted:

It's a very weird feeling to me to consider the debates where we have to listen to hot takes about whats wrong and right in what is said from literally everyone who has no business telling the left what to think.

Like I know it drives pundits and the president loving nuts that theyre not the center of attention, but why the hell should anyone ask the opposition what they think about our canidates?

Because "both sides"

I also think the GOP actively baits us into picking much shittier, "electable" candidates and we loving fall for it almost every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

I really liked the one guy for the zinger against Biden for passing the torch, I have no idea who he is, but I'd love a debate between him, Harris and Biden where he and Harris just take turns punching Biden until he gives up.

That was Swalwell who went from "who?" to "OH YEAH, START THE KNIFING" real quick to me.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Skippy McPants posted:

I'm not convinced it is. It should be, and for us here is sure is, but a big chunk of Dems are still pretty chill with cops.

The last time her cop bullshit started becoming big news it brought her support down. This was back earlier in the primary when she was the flavor of the week.

I would not worry about harris’ supposed strength. She’s not a low tier candidate like booker, but she was so far behind coming into the debate tonight that she was not attacked on any of her glaring flaws. That she was able to tear down a stuttering old racist like Biden who’s clearly been hiding up till now cause he can’t handle any kind of scrutiny is not super surprising. If by the second debate she’s a front runner and she’s weathering attacks from the other candidates I’d be more concerned

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One other thing about Bernie is that there's some irony to the fact that the only people who seem concerned about his age are boomers/olds.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

GlyphGryph posted:

I really liked the one guy for the zinger against Biden for passing the torch, I have no idea who he is, but I'd love a debate between him, Harris and Biden where he and Harris just take turns punching Biden until he gives up.

His name is Eric Swalwell and he's a Fairly Good Congressman.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Lightning Knight posted:

I think they deleted the tweet now but they posted a picture of them hanging out with some Tulsi staffers with strong “we’re going to go to the hotel room and drink now” energy.

Are those kids even 18? That’s really gross.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Ytlaya posted:

Also, most older people in general, even if well-intentioned, just seem to fundamentally not "get it." It's like they have some sort of syndrome that makes them incapable of considering the possibility of real change. Part of it is that "legacy media" still has almost 100% control over the opinions of older Americans.

It's a very well-documented phenomenon that as the brain ages and loses more of its neuroplasticity it becomes less and less capable of taking in new information or adapting to new things.

The legacy media is definitely a hugely malign influence but it's also just a fact that a lot of old people, well meaning or not, really can't 'get it'. Which is why when people get older they should move aside for the new generation, just like boomers don't

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
https://twitter.com/katyperry/status/1144445699431362560

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/GarbageApe/status/1144625279819821057

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Democrazy posted:

Are those kids even 18? That’s really gross.

I have no idea, I assumed they were seniors.

Also it is a joke, this is what they were actually doing at the debate:

https://twitter.com/mikegravel/status/1144083058167074816?s=21

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Court packing has been brought up several times. Can someone explain how this doesn't lead to the court continually expanding every time a different party has control of the Congress and White House?

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
that centrist shithead melting Ken doll from California gets to be on stage but Mike Gravel doesn’t . Stupid loving country

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SimonCat posted:

Court packing has been brought up several times. Can someone explain how this doesn't lead to the court continually expanding every time a different party has control of the Congress and White House?

because once you pass HR1 and other laws the gop never takes the house or presidency ever again.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Groovelord Neato posted:

because once you pass HR1 and other laws the gop never takes the house or presidency ever again.

Hope is not a course of action.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Barry Foster posted:

It's a very well-documented phenomenon that as the brain ages and loses more of its neuroplasticity it becomes less and less capable of taking in new information or adapting to new things.

The jury is hella out on this one. It's true that there's a trend among currently living old people that this is a thing, but the possible causes and treatments to it are enough to fill several textbooks. One of the currently leading theories is that the malign media influence you mentioned is part of what causes the rigidity because of its rapid, unchanging, uncritical constant barrage that ends further consideration. Another is that it's tied to poor gum health (similar to Alzheimer's).

It's remiss to chalk it up as a natural process of aging, because it honestly happens with such regularity in specific populations and not others that it presents like a disease.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

SimonCat posted:

it probably will be packed until a constitutional reform is passed like term limiting justices to coincide with presidential elections until then the judiciary ceases to be an independent branch of government

which is probably ok since under parliemntary democracies (lol canada) the courts are explicitly under the legislature and not an independent branch

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/MikeDelMoro/status/1144575210445836289

LOL this is the second time she's done this.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Oh don't worry, it won't be the last.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

SimonCat posted:

This is what you're missing: The federal courts and the SCOTUS are ALREADY packed with 40 year old fascists. The worst that could happen in your example is getting back to status quo.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Ytlaya posted:

One other thing about Bernie is that there's some irony to the fact that the only people who seem concerned about his age are boomers/olds.

As a young person who likes him I view it as his biggest flaw; age is demonstrated to cause a decline in some important cognitive functions and it's frustrating to me that the two leftmost people among the top candidates are also two of the oldest. It's a function of the hollowing out of the American left on a governmental level between the rise of Reagan and basically a few years ago, but it definitely isn't good and any of the old farts need to be ready to counter the issue of their age.

SimonCat posted:

The idea is that one of the two parties just straight-up shouldn't ever have control of Congress and the White House as currently constituted, and only gets them because the structure of our government persistently enables minoritarian rule. Packing the court lets you correct that and means the Republicans have a much harder time getting control of government. They'd adapt given enough time but the challenges we need to address are facing us right now and time is of the essence.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Harris is toast from the get-go because her campaign is the dumping grounds for former Hillary lanyards, that is to say arguably the most incompetent bunch of fuckers in politics ever, and given that they don't have the advantage of rigging the entire thing in their favor this time, that ain't gonna cut it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SimonCat posted:

Hope is not a course of action.

what i said was action and not hope.

Trabisnikof posted:

If true, that makes Obama look like a really terrible leader.

he was.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 28, 2019

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

If true, that makes Obama look like a really terrible leader.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

SimonCat posted:

It requires unified control of the government which is usually not the case, and would eat up a lot of the legislation calendar if did it

And also it totally would but a 20+ SCOTUS would do a lot to minimize the importance of each individual judge.

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018

Lightning Knight posted:

I think they deleted the tweet now but they posted a picture of them hanging out with some Tulsi staffers with strong “we’re going to go to the hotel room and drink now” energy.

Does anyone have the pic lol

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

SimonCat posted:

It might. It would certainly undermine the legitimacy of the Court. The question is, is that worse than the status quo or better?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

You think ACA ate up a lot of Obama's opportunity to pass legislation, imagine trying to pass the court packing bill followed by 5+ lifetime appointments.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ghost Leviathan posted:

i'm not sure if Game of Thrones is better or worse.

Hopefully in a few years it'll be Dune.

Given upcoming planned shows, in a few years it will be Wheel of Time.

see, Warren is Moiraine, Bernie is Mat Cauthon, Trump is Padan Fain, Kamala is Egwene

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Ershalim posted:

The jury is hella out on this one. It's true that there's a trend among currently living old people that this is a thing, but the possible causes and treatments to it are enough to fill several textbooks. One of the currently leading theories is that the malign media influence you mentioned is part of what causes the rigidity because of its rapid, unchanging, uncritical constant barrage that ends further consideration. Another is that it's tied to poor gum health (similar to Alzheimer's).

It's remiss to chalk it up as a natural process of aging, because it honestly happens with such regularity in specific populations and not others that it presents like a disease.

Well I learnt something today. I knew about the gum thing but only related to alzheimers specifically. Thanks, that's really interesting.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tibalt posted:

You think ACA ate up a lot of Obama's opportunity to pass legislation, imagine trying to pass the court packing bill followed by 5+ lifetime appointments.

do people actually remember how that went down or?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SimonCat posted:

We make sure Republicans don't get controll of the White house and Senate

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Ogmius815 posted:

It might. It would certainly undermine the legitimacy of the Court. The question is, is that worse than the status quo or better?

Outside of basically the Warren court, SCOTUS has mostly served as a regressive institution with occasional stints as a release valve for public will where our broken-rear end legislative institutions simply would not do the job. With the replacement of Scalia and Kennedy with Gorsuch and Kavanaugh, the latter cases are effectively gone for at least the next two to three decades under the current structure of the Court. Thus, the legitimacy of the Court (such as it is at the moment) is actively harmful to progress. So while replacing all the justices with the reanimated corpse of Thurgood Marshall cloned nine times and having everyone agree with the legitimacy of the Zombie Marshall Court would probably be the ideal situation, a court viewed as politically tainted but incapable of blocking progressive reform is an acceptable and achievable alternative.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

see, Warren is Moiraine, Bernie is Mat Cauthon, Trump is Padan Fain, Kamala is Egwene

Trump won 2016 by channeling saidin and what we see now is the result

friendlyfire
Jun 2, 2003

Charmingly Indolent

Mellow Seas posted:

I won’t bother linking it because a) paywall and b) stupid, but blue blood Republican columnist David Brooks’ column in the NYT today is titled “Dems, Don’t Drive Me Away”. The loving Never Trump Republicans think they’re the base of the Democratic Party these days.

In all fairness, so does Nancy Pelosi.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

We make sure Republicans don't get controll of the White house and Senate

Why don't we just cut to the chase and ban the Republican Party then?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you don't seem to get that this isn't a choice.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

So after the halfway point it feels like an interminable slog? Yeah makes sense

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I think Marianne Williamson is actually better than 95% of the other fuckos who were on that stage, and the biggest reason people itt arent willing to offer her a degree of unironic support is due to her pre-existing reputation as a non-serious candidate. She's the only one who really talked about imperialism, preventative health care, or actual reparations. Her last bit talking directly to Trump might have been an attempt to get him to tweet about her, which would be pretty drat smart (thought she also might just be a bit kooky and that wasn't a consideration for her).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

SimonCat posted:

Why don't we just cut to the chase and ban the Republican Party then?

It would require a constitutional amendment. Even the Klan can form a political party. Winning elections doesn't. Neiither does packing the court.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

what does this have to do with smug people calling other people smug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

do people actually remember how that went down or?
ACA wasn't introduced until until September 2009 and wasn't signed into law until March 2010.

I should clarify, in a hypothetical unified Republican government after the Democrats pack the court, absolutely they would spend the time to do this. The unified Democratic government after the SCOTUS has been packed to 9 Conservatives, 8 Progressives, and 1 to 6 Thomas-esque Wildcards, maybe not.