Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The Bloop posted:

At least rewarded her with a better deal or some sort of handicap, yeah. That's the impression that I got

Yeah that was my feeling. If she straight up said "there is no way I could beat you in that competition" he may have said "good point, I'll handicap myself."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Max posted:

Yeah that was my feeling. If she straight up said "there is no way I could beat you in that competition" he may have said "good point, I'll handicap myself."

Yeah or at the very least be like "You're right. That would be a stupid bet to take. Congratulations on not being a big dummy. You get to keep your vote."

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

blue squares posted:

I think they sent the worst possible person to Day 1 of the Island of the Idols haha. She sucks

No doubt. I believe her and Kellee have admitted to knowing very little about Survivor beforehand. I found her surprise acting for the camera extremely disingenuous.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Zesty posted:

No doubt. I believe her and Kellee have admitted to knowing very little about Survivor beforehand. I found her surprise acting for the camera extremely disingenuous.

agreed, it felt reeeeeal fake. but i mean, i'm an antisocial goon so i'm not the best judge of sincerity

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Cute gif of molly stolen from reddit

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So everyone on the cast seems pretty likable other than Ronnie (who's out) and maybe Jason (too weaselly) and Noura (she's got some crazy eyes). Aaron could have douchebag potential, but it's early days.

Don't know if I have any early favourites yet. I like a lot of the women.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Lone Goat posted:

How about you not take the incredibly lovely deal that you're guaranteed to lose?? "Keep your vote" is already a better offer than "lose your vote for no reason, like a dumbass".

Or should could have refused the offer, gone to Tribal, been voted out and spend the test of her life regretting not choosing to compete in the fire challenge.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

So everyone on the cast seems pretty likable other than Ronnie (who's out) and maybe Jason (too weaselly) and Noura (she's got some crazy eyes). Aaron could have douchebag potential, but it's early days.

Don't know if I have any early favourites yet. I like a lot of the women.

Noura's gonna be one of those people who's either highly entertaining or highly annoying (or will oscillate between the two).

The cast does seem promising tho.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Binary Logic posted:

Or should could have refused the offer, gone to Tribal, been voted out and spend the test of her life regretting not choosing to compete in the fire challenge.

Or she loses her vote, goes to tribal and ends up getting voted out because she needed her own vote. You can't know what's going to happen in the future, but taking a maybe ~5% shot at getting a immunity idol is not worth almost certainly losing your vote.

She had no chance in the fire making and she should have known it

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Binary Logic posted:

or she could have lost the challenge, then got voted off 5-4 because she surrendered her vote for no reason!!!!!

she made a horrendous low-value play and didn't get punished for it, that doesn't mean it wasn't a horrendous low-value play.

hopefully the real lesson she learned was the friends we made along the way to not just blindly take the first offer handed to you.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TMMadman posted:

lmao

I helped my friend with his macro nutrient company...

I'm still loving laughing at this

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Lone Goat posted:

or she could have lost the challenge, then got voted off 5-4 because she surrendered her vote for no reason!!!!!

she made a horrendous low-value play and didn't get punished for it, that doesn't mean it wasn't a horrendous low-value play.

hopefully the real lesson she learned was the friends we made along the way to not just blindly take the first offer handed to you.
Like when Angelina tried to bargain with Probst in David vs Goliath?

I thought the real lesson of Survivor is that if someone makes you an offer (eg to join an alliance), you take that first offer and say "Yes! Let's do it."

And it's easy to sit at home and second-guess. Elizabeth could have suggested, "I can't beat you Rob so how about we make the challenge against Sandra?" Or, like "man, if I was there I would have kicked over Rob's pile of kindling".
But she's been in Survivor for 3 days, was told Rob and Sandra aren't in the game, and are her mentors. There's producers and a camera crew surrounding them. There are 2 fire pits set up for a contest.
And she was an Olympic swimmer - it's a really competitive sport. There's no way she was going to back down from a challenge.

And in lighter news - overall this seems like a really good cast so far.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 27, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I don't really knock her for taking the offer. Its an overwhelming situation and Rob had all the leverage. She had no real reason to suspect that she could bargain for a better deal and the whole thing was just so much that I can't say I wouldn't have just said "gently caress it, I want to do this and play Boston Rob, I'm probably not going home this week."

Her misplay was the lie about it. But we'll see if it comes back to bite her.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Binary Logic posted:

Jeff Probst rejected Angelina's first offer, I'm not sure what your point is here.

By your playbook, every single person should sit out of a challenge to eat, because someone offered it to them.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
There was no way anyone could find out about her lost vote (unless she screwed up and told them) and thus there's not really any scenario where she would need her vote. I guess a 5-5 tie, but it's the first episode and realistically if everyone knew going into Tribal it was going to be 5-5 someone would flip before the vote anyway.

The punishment *should* be a publicly lost vote because then it becomes a much bigger issue (and thus more strategically interesting). For example, piling votes on her for a 9-0 vote becomes a pretty safe thing to do since even if she has and plays an idol they would get a chance to re-vote instead of her one vote deciding who goes home. There are also some vote split plans that only become viable if they know about the missing vote (ordinarily you need 7 votes to split on a 10 person tribe, but with one missing vote you can get away with 6, not that that would have been too relevant here).

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Rob and Sandra telling us who they like and who is smart at tribal is metagaming to the next level.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mancalamania posted:

There was no way anyone could find out about her lost vote (unless she screwed up and told them) and thus there's not really any scenario where she would need her vote.

Both of these statements are bonkers. There are plenty of ways and is also depends on what Jeff does

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Knowing the survivor production decisions this far, next season they're going to hire Rob Riggle to provide commentary during the entire episode

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

Rob and Sandra telling us who they like and who is smart at tribal is metagaming to the next level.

Yeah. I really wasn't into the mentor thing after the fire but I can see it getting a lot better if they can pass on advice from tribals and pitch specific strategies to whomever.

That seemed like a decent start though. Most of the recent seasons usually take me awhile to get into but this is interesting enough already. Sandra is good.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Binary Logic posted:

She took a course on negotiating, after all.

:rolleyes:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I don't really knock her for taking the offer. Its an overwhelming situation and Rob had all the leverage. She had no real reason to suspect that she could bargain for a better deal and the whole thing was just so much that I can't say I wouldn't have just said "gently caress it, I want to do this and play Boston Rob, I'm probably not going home this week."

Her misplay was the lie about it. But we'll see if it comes back to bite her.

Yeah, I still don't like the lie and don't think it was necessary. I mean it was like the 3rd day on the island and she probably could have just come back and said "Oh, I don't want to really spoil the surprise yet, but it's very cool and you get a chance to play a game for an idol but I lost" and I'd bet most of the people in her tribe would let it go for the time being.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
She could have said “Boston Rob and Sandra are there and they offer to teach you skills, and then you can challenge for an advantage” and people would probably think she’s lying.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bigass Moth posted:

She could have said “Boston Rob and Sandra are there and they offer to teach you skills, and then you can challenge for an advantage” and people would probably think she’s lying.

Haha, yeah, that's probably true too.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Enjoyable episode, but I hope the idols have a much more engaging role than teaching people how to strategize, make fires, and offering immunities.

I want them to really impact the game somehow.

Also gently caress my Tivo for not recording this at the last minute and forcing me to watch it on demand with what must have been 50 minutes of commercials. I almost lost my loving mind. Commercials suck so much.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Ronnie in exit interviews is such an airhead.

“People trust me in the real world. They let me hold newborns. They let me hold thousands of dollars.”

Zesty fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 28, 2019

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

Zesty posted:

Ronnie I’m exit interviews is such an airhead.

“People trust me in the real world. They let me hold newborns. They let me hold thousands of dollars.”

They let me hold their macro-nutrients.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bigass Moth posted:

Yea, but at least they would find out she was telling the truth later on... instead now, they will find out she's a liar!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AWarmBody posted:

newborns are filled with macro-nutrients

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

AWarmBody posted:

They let me hold their crypto investments

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
It would suck to be the one guy who voted with the guy who got absolutely destroyed

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Jimmy Fallon is responsible for Rob and Sandra's TC shack

quote:

The Tonight Show host and Saturday Night Live alum is a noted Survivor fan, whom Probst has credited in the past for coming up with the premise for Survivor: Second Chance, a season in which fans voted players back onto the show. Speaking with THR through email, Fallon says he's constantly pitching Probst on new Survivor twists.

"Jeff probably regrets giving me his email after he was on my show a few years ago," writes Fallon. "I use it all the time. I will have ideas in the middle of the night and just shoot off a short email and say 'Is this anything?' Now and then he'll respond with: 'This email is no longer in use.' But I know he's reading them!"

According to Probst, Fallon's pitch for a top-secret voting booth first landed in his inbox about two or three years ago. "We thought it was a great idea, but we could never make sense of it," he says. "Why would you bring a player back to secretly spy on Tribal? We weren't sure about it. When the [Island of the Idols] idea took flight, we thought this was the time. This is when we can use the secret Jimmy Fallon viewing booth — the Fallon Booth."

From a design standpoint, the so-called "Fallon Booth" is the centerpiece of the season's Tribal set, the point of origin from which dozens of different but similarly designed huts were conceived and built by longtime art department guru Dax Pointon and his team.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/survivor-island-idols-premiere-explained-1243367

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Zesty posted:

Ronnie I’m exit interviews is such an airhead.

This reminds me of Parks & Rec when Andy went to hold a thousand dollars and didn't realize that it was just 10 bills.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Hahaha this is great. I wonder how long they're even going to have to use the Fallon box. At some point they will have to transition to lifeguard chairs, once the castaways all know they're there peepin'

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

Hahaha this is great. I wonder how long they're even going to have to use the Fallon box. At some point they will have to transition to lifeguard chairs, once the castaways all know they're there peepin'

How would they know about the Fallon box?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I could see getting into the box with Sandra and/or Rob to peep on a rival tribal or something being a potential reward. The best scenario would be Rob or Sandra reacting so loud the castaways notice.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Not enough hot people this season

This is one of those seasons where they skewed older with the castaways, everyone looks like they work in an independent coffee shop from the 90s.

Elphiem fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 29, 2019

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Elphiem posted:

This is one of those seasons where they skewed older with the castaways, everyone looks like they work in an independent coffee shop from the 90s.

It's Probst's first season in charge of casting, and I guess he doesn't like mactors as much as Spillman did?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Khanstant posted:

I could see getting into the box with Sandra and/or Rob to peep on a rival tribal or something being a potential reward. The best scenario would be Rob or Sandra reacting so loud the castaways notice.

I think the idea is that Sandra/Rob peeping in on the TCs is gonna be a secret as long as possible, to keep the contestants from being affected knowing the two of them are watching.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Elphiem posted:

This is the most American cast of Survivor they have ever had. Half the cast is chubby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I choose to be nice and just assume they all did hella research and put on a little extra weight before they went on.