Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's Black History Month. What are some comics by Black people? The only Black creators I can name off the top of my head are Dwayne McDuffy, Christopher Priest and Ta-Naheesi Coates.

Oh and apparently now the creator of Krazy Kat.

https://twitter.com/ConditorMalorum/status/1223702600610172929?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!
There's Bitter Root by David F. Walker, Chuck Brown, and Sanford Greene. Chuck is also writing On The Stump, which starts later this month.

EDIT: Oh cripes, I forgot Bitch Planet's artist, Valentine De Landro!

Minister of Sound fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 3, 2020

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Ben Passmore did Your Black Friend and Sports Is Hell.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
eve ewing
nnedi okorafor
vita ayala
bryan edward hill

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Brian Stelfreezez he who did awesome Shadow of the Bat covers, numerous books with great interior art, and a great Batman Black and White short story.

Denys Cowan, he who did an amazing run on the Question with Denny O Neil.

ChrissCross (not the band) who did an okayish I guess run of Firestorm.

Speaking of Black History Month, has there ever been a resolution about what is going on with Milestone, or is it still tied up in a bunch of legal stuff?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Billy Graham was an awesome 70s artist with Marvel who had a too short career.

Decent overview of his time with the company here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2018/03/07/movies/black-panther-luke-cage-artist-billy-graham.amp.html

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Anthony Piper

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Olivier Coipel, who is my favourite Thor artist.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Paris Cullins, who drew Len Wein's Blue Beetle series in the '80s, along with the '80s Blue Devil series, is black. I have a beautiful framed Blue Beetle commission by him. He's probably my favorite Blue Beetle artist ever, even in a world with Kevin Maguire and Adam Hughes in it.

Rob Guillory, the co-creator and artist of Chew and creator of Farmhand, is black. He was the coolest, friendliest guy when I met him, and he was even familiar with my food blog, which was inspired by one of the characters in Chew.

So is sci-fi author N.K. Jemisin, who is writing the current Green Lantern series Far Sector, which looks amazing. (I'm waiting for the TPB on that one.)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 2, 2020

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Johnnie Christmas, whose book Tartarus is out Feb 12.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 3, 2020

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Nobody's mentioned Kyle Baker?? You've also got Wayne Howard on some great 70s horror stories, the great Jackie Ormes who created Torchy Brown, another fantastic newspaper cartoonist, Ollie Harrington (who was praised by Langston Hughes), Jamal Igle, Keith Pollard who did a lot of solid Bronze Age stuff, and Larry Stroman who in my mind was the signature artist of PAD's original X-Factor.

On that note, I wanted to spread around a donation drive Fluffdaddy is spearheading out of TGRS for Black History Month, for the Transwomen of Color Collective. You can find out more in his OP here. His goal is to hit $3000, and the organization does a ton to help trans women of color get out of bad situations and with legal fees, medical fees, and other much needed resources. Please consider chipping in whatever you can!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

In issue 5 there’s this great scene with an explosion, and then the book does the gimmick where the next two pages are just an empty white double page spread, and it takes 8 pages for the story to come back (slowly, first with dialogue boxes that become darker, then with an image).

I'm always hesitant about that kind of thing in a monthly book where space is at a premium. Using half the book on a storytelling gimmick feels unfair to the readers who are getting it monthly. It's the kind of thing that feels like it works better in the more unstructured format of the graphic novel.

Skwirl posted:

It's Black History Month. What are some comics by Black people? The only Black creators I can name off the top of my head are Dwayne McDuffy, Christopher Priest and Ta-Naheesi Coates.

Oh and apparently now the creator of Krazy Kat.

https://twitter.com/ConditorMalorum/status/1223702600610172929?s=20

I did not know this. Every photograph I've seen makes him appear light-skinned and I don't remember it coming up in the front matter of any of the Krazy Kat collections I have. Doing a minimal amount of looking into this, apparently Herriman passed as white. This is pretty interesting.

I've wanted to read some of the golden age African-American comics but they're even more obscure and poorly preserved than the typical golden age books.

Someone not mentioned yet who I've always liked is M. D. Bright. I really liked his work on Green Lantern, though since that one was written by a pedophile I don't recommend it. Read his Milestone stuff instead.

Anyway, after a busy couple of days I'm back on the Extreme Studios horse wrapping up August 1994 and doing all of September.

Brigade #13 - Hey, after they've been around as a villain for a while, I finally get an explanation of what Cybernet is (besides my old ISP from the early 90s). They're a cybernetic collective. That people sometimes leave. And have a guy in charge who seems to run the whole thing for his personal benefit. And never demonstrate any collective behavior or goals. Actually, never mind. I still don't know what Cybernet is.

The woman with anime eyes who got captured by them last issue gets her eye torn out by the sexy robot girl who is apparently in charge of this Cybernet group. Said sexy robot girl is named Olivia to continue Extreme Studio's trend of borrowing the names of better artists for their characters. Meanwhile, Bloodstrike has disobeyed orders to withdraw so he can rescue his captured handlers. In one finally bit of goofiness, Bloodstrike refuses to show his face until he knows who he is, not even revealing it to people who might be able to help him figure it out.

Starting on page twenty, the problem of having two characters with identical hair styles shows up as the colorist gives the blonde character black hair and suddenly there's two identical characters on all of the pages.

This issue is an improvement over the previous just on the basis of characters having an actual goal and there being a villain. It's a low bar, I know, but it's so rare for these books to clear it.

Issue 14 has Bloodstrike attacked by a villain named Geist who immediately kills one of his handlers. Geist is part of some great game being orchestrated by shadowy villain Wargame; I'm mentioning this because I want to be extremely clear how creatively bankrupt this comic is. Geist might have intangibility powers but he never demonstrates that during the fight. Anyway, they punch each other until Geist just leaves. Finally we are told that "This is only the beginning... of the end!"

New Men #5-6 - You know how you can tell a character is British? If they should "BLIMEY!" and "BLOODY HELL!" all the time.

The fight against Ikonn (not the guy Dr. Strange calls on to make illusions) with Cyberforce's Wolverine knock-off continues. Ikonn absorbs one of the New Men and then is defeated when the teleporter realizes he can just teleport everyone out of Ikonn. It's not a deep story, but it at least feels like a standard superhero book. Over in the subplot, the New Men's mentor Proctor is abducted.

Over to issue 6 where we find out that Kodiak is ashamed of being a scrawny white nerd when he's not a bear person which is odd since his uncle is Native American, Dash uses a slur for a disabled person, and Proctor is just back. Reign, Exit, and Byrd go out to a bar, get into a fight, and then kill a guy. Also Dash's fast metabolism means she goes through morning sickness and then emerges from the bathroom eight months pregnant. And then I go, "What?"

I've said it before, but New Men is the best book from Extreme Studios at the moment. It's nothing I'd read regularly, and even back in the 90's I wouldn't have bothered with it, but a book where characters have personalities and the plot kind of holds together is such an improvement. Issue 6 was such an escalation that I want to know what insane thing happens next.

Doom's IV #2-3 - Issue 2 picks up with the team fleeing the evil corporation that made them and then there's this:

quote:

Burn's so sad all the time. A girl that pretty should be wearing a smile more often.

And now I hate both the character and the writer.

So while they're flying away, they're attacked by a robot man who can take control over their powers. But he requires line of sight to the skyscraper headquarters of Doom Corp which is half a continent away. So I guess the Image-verse is a flat earth. The team decides to intentionally crash their jet to break that line of sight.

Issue three opens at the crash site with debris spread everywhere. Turns out they don't have the tools to fix it, which isn't a surprise since they'd be essentially building a new jet from scratch at that point. Not Thing goes off on his own with his kids only to be immediately captured and turned against the team because Doom Corp has his kids. A pack of new villains arrive and a fight breaks out.

I noticed that the everybody has their costumes change multiple times between panels. Mainly because I went, "Wait, Burn didn't have a boob window in her costume before..." and "Wasn't that character almost completely naked two pages ago?" It's one of those things where it wouldn't surprise me if it had been happening all the time before, but the art in this issue drew attention to it.

Youngblood #8-9 - What's this? Two issues of Youngblood in a single month? Has Liefeld gone mad? Well, here's the thing: issue 9 isn't by Rob Liefeld. An event in September of 1994 had the Image Seven swap books for a month. For some of these (Larsen and McFarlane), this was so disruptive to their ongoing book that they still did their issue anyway; Larsen doing a completely different version of the same issue on his own and McFarlane micromanaging Silvestri's version of Spawn. Jim Valentino swapped with Liefeld so he did issue 9 of Youngblood all on his own and had Liefeld create an issue 0 for Shadowhawk. But what is an Image comic in 1994 without a delay so Liefeld missed his release by a month. I'll read it next time.

Youngblood 8 has an almost entirely new Youngblood team going into action, though I can't tell new team member Psilence apart from Masada. They're chasing down the people who blew up the group in the previous issue of Team Youngblood. They find the villain's airship and them beat them up, but that's when Sabretooth attacks. Over in New York, Chapel shoots up the alley where Spawn lives and kills a bunch of homeless people. Then Chapel and Spawn prepare for a showdown.

This features some amazingly sloppy Liefeld art. Do you like body proportions that are best described as non-euclidean, poses don't fit, and feet hidden behind objects whenever possible? Then this is the comic for you!

Over to Valentino's Youngblood 9 and... wow, that's a hell of a first page. I'd swear that Valentino is making fun of Liefeld with his art here as the initial spash page is Badrock flipping his head open like a pez dispenser to reveal more teeth than a school of xenomorph sharks. Vogue apparently walks around Youngblood headquarters wearing a thong. Badrock, despite being a multimillionaire celebrity, flies coach. Nobody seems to know who the most popular celebrity superhero in the world is, either.

The story in this issue is that Badrock has been optioned for a movie so he goes out to Hollywood and then screws everything up. The best "gag" in the issue (and I'm using that term broadly) is that Badrock's TV Guide cover mentions Spawn on HBO and WildC.A.T.s on CBS.

Youngblood Strikefile #5-6 - It's been a full year since we had an issue of this series containing solo stories for Youngblood members. It starts up again with a Badrock story since that's a character who's getting a push now. We've also got a good example of Liefeld's commitment to creators.

Starting with the Badrock story that runs through both issues, it's the day after he drank the formula that turned him to stone. He's also sixteen despite being sixteen five years later according the the timelines we've been given in these books. His dad tries to keep him locked up in the Washington DC skyscraper lab (there's a lot of skyscrapers in DC in Extreme books which is notable since DC by federal law has exactly zero skyscrapers), but Badrock smashes out and hides in the sewer where he encounters a monster eating people. There's a fight and in the aftermath Badrock joins Youngblood.

Sam Liu penciled this story and he's better than most of the Extreme Studios crew, especially in his storytelling abilities. He had done a little work for Malibu before going Extreme and then his work at Extreme for the next two years is the entirety of his comics career. He moved over to animation where he's worked on a lot of those terrible DC animated films. There's a lot of these guys in Extreme Studios who as soon as Liefeld blew up the company were just gone from comics forever.

If you wanted to know what pop culture was floating around Extreme Studios at the time, Badrock wears a Prodigy t-shirt (band, not online service :v: ), has a Gunsmith Cats poster on his wall, and has a poster for a non-existent John Woo film.

There's a story about Combat, the alien who appeared in issue one of Youngblood, then vanished without comment for two years before suddenly appearing again only to get "blown up" (abducted, actually). He's going through a dungeons and dragons dungeon built entirely of solid colors and speed lines to retrieve an "orb of power" (also seen in one of the Troll comics). The story is told almost entirely in heavily overwritten caption boxes which is incredibly annoying.

The notable thing about this story is that there's no credits. The penciling appears to be Liefeld, and looking it up that's who sites attribute the story to, but there's no information about anyone else who worked on it.

Then there's the Masada story which goes after antisemitism. A Mossad agent has gone rogue and is going to kill a preacher who is spouting anti-Jew conspiracy theories and she steps in to stop him. But even after she takes a bullet for the preacher, he's still a bigot.

This story is fine for what it is, but about as shallow as you'd expect from an eight page superhero story about racism. Tom and Mary Bierbaum wrote this one and they'll do a few more things for Extreme Studios. They're best known for their not very popular Legion of Superheroes run where they basically took every fan theory and made it text; that thing where Lightning Lad had been dead for thirty years and instead Protty was living in his body the whole time was them.

Prophet #7 - Still kill crazy Prophet gets the jump on Kirby in some truly ugly looking pages where everyone has more veins in their arms than they have teeth (and this is an Extreme Studios book so they have lots of teeth). But Not Brother Eye re-establishing control over Prophet and reboots him. Unfortunately not one but two different time traveling assassins are in the area, one who has been stalking Prophet for a few issues and another that just shows up at the end of this one. Also Darkthorn, the other dimension bad guy Prophet fought in Youngblood turns up again apparently to set up the next crossover, Extreme Sacrifice. He's the guy bossing around Phillip Omen, the guy who's making the robots that will kill everyone.

Prophet has just become terrible to look at. There's a panel that's a close up of a leg and butt on page two and I swear the leg has three knees. But mostly it's because everything is so dark and muddy. It's like someone say Jae Lee's work and tried to copy it, but did so just by dumping ink everywhere.

Team Youngblood #13 - So there's a hero team and a villain team and the villain team works for Never Man who gives them power. Except one of the villain team was on the hero team and when he sees Never Man he decides to rejoin hero team. Until two panels later when he doesn't and just decides to attack Never Man who zaps him. Then villain team despite working for Never Man and saying that they want to help never man decides to help hero team and attack Never Man. And now we're on page loving four.

Never Man is just a void in the shape of a person. Sometimes he's a giant person shaped void and sometimes he's a normal sized one. Either way, he's not exactly a "Oh god oh god what is that thing! We must destroy it before it's too late!" kind of threat but everyone in the comic is reacting like he is. And the villains keep flip-flopping what they're doing between pages. Never Man is defeated by zapping him hard and the villain team just walks away as Sentinel literally says, "They won't just walk away."

Brahma tells Masada that they've never met, except Brahma also left a message for Masada when he left and she pined over him when he went. They never appeared on panel together before this, but the comics were pretty clear that they knew each other extremely well.

Supreme #19 - I groaned when I saw that the cover for this issue had Supreme chasing Overtkill's flying head. Apparently he's co-owned by McFarlane and Liefeld which is why Liefeld keeps using him, despite the character first appearing in Spawn.

Supreme has a contact who we've never met before and gives him information that it was never mentioned Supreme was looking for on the mob. Supreme just goes insane, sleeps it off in space, and then flies down for mob info. The informant was followed, but Supreme doesn't care and the guy gets killed. He's found by a teenager who got superpowers while on his school trip to DC when the lab exploded six issues and two days ago. Rather than go to the police, the kid decides to find the informant's killer since he wants to be a superhero; not a Batman type superhero who would investigate things, of course, just a punch guys superhero. The kid still manages to smash his way into a mob boss's office who sends him after McFarlane's favorite gangster Tony Twist. Supreme has also gone after him and runs into Overtkill.

Despite having a "secret headquarters" according to previous comics, tour guides point out Youngblood headquarters to people.

Supreme didn't meet his Lois Lane until 1947 and he saved her "many times". He also left earth in early 1947 so she must have been busy.

Brigade #12 - Oh hey, we're still in that WildC.A.T.s crossover. I completely forgot about that in between all of the books Extreme Studios released in September. And that Orb of Power from Combat's D&D adventure is here, too.

A four way brawl starts up between sewer monster, WildC.A.T.s, Brigade, and yakuza three-sword assassin guy. When the monster is dead, the swordsman joins up and they go after the orb only to have it blow apart the floor and the yakuza boss holding it just goes away. Boone might be betraying the team since he knows about the orb. Thermal who has been having phone conversations where she's providing information to someone since issue one of the first series finally reveals what she's up to: she's writing an expose on the team.

Despite having three swords, the yakuza guy only uses one at a time. He does at some point lose a sword... I would say between panels but it happens in a single panel where he's drawn multiple times to show his rapid action.

Badrock and Company #1 - What better way to wrap up this post than yet another new number one. But wait, what's this? The comic is written by Kieth Giffen who must have patched things up after the abrupt ending to Bloodstrike.

A pair of twin brothers like to set up fights between superpowered beings and bet on the outcome. This time they set up Badrock and Pitt who initially fight, figure out what was happening, and then deal with the brothers.

It's a light plot, but it's Kieth Giffen so it's well told. Giffen also provided layouts so the comedic beats of the story land properly. Todd Nauck isn't up to Giffen's standards for the art, but he's a solid draftsman and it definitely helps that Giffen is giving him some structure. This is some of Nauck's earliest comic work and he's the first Extreme Studios guy I've found who actually sticks around. Not a top tier name, admittedly, but someone who has had a long running and successful career in comics.

This is a good creative team on this book and even if the comic stays pretty lightweight, I want to see what's next.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 3, 2020

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

I'm always hesitant about that kind of thing in a monthly book where space is at a premium. Using half the book on a storytelling gimmick feels unfair to the readers who are getting it monthly. It's the kind of thing that feels like it works better in the more unstructured format of the graphic novel.

Normally agreed. In this case the issue is just longer, and it’s one of the thing Andrews talks about in the letter column. He made the book longer because he thought it needed it for the story, and the price didn’t change. Benefits of creator owned.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Dwayne McDuffie

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Random Stranger posted:

I did not know this. Every photograph I've seen makes him appear light-skinned and I don't remember it coming up in the front matter of any of the Krazy Kat collections I have. Doing a minimal amount of looking into this, apparently Herriman passed as white. This is pretty interesting.

I've wanted to read some of the golden age African-American comics but they're even more obscure and poorly preserved than the typical golden age books.

If you click through they go into that, he was able to work in newspaper comics because he passed for white, his daughter didn't even know he was black until after his death and she found his old birth certificate that said "colored" under race.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Now would be a good time to tell everyone in the thread to read Inconegro if they haven't yet. It's a story about a white passing black man who uses his appearance to get into some white only groups and expose them. The first story is pretty much a murder mystery taking place in 1920's deep south. Check it out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

Now would be a good time to tell everyone in the thread to read Inconegro if they haven't yet. It's a story about a white passing black man who uses his appearance to get into some white only groups and expose them. The first story is pretty much a murder mystery taking place in 1920's deep south. Check it out.

Oh yeah, that was really good.

Also John Lewis is a Black comic creator, and everyone should read March.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i guess i got my expectations up a bit too much for the hanged man backstory because it was kinda a wet fart when it finally came lol

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

site posted:

i guess i got my expectations up a bit too much for the hanged man backstory because it was kinda a wet fart when it finally came lol

Well, they can't all be one of the greatest commentaries on loss ever put in comics.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
YouTube recommended me a Cartoonist Kayfabe episode about an infamous interview Kirby gave to Comics Journal (I think). Do I need to listen to this or is it butts? I think Jack's a pretty fascinating figure in comics history (plus he hated nazis, always a plus)

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 3, 2020

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

YouTube recommended me a Cartoonist Kayfabe episode about an infamous interview Kirby gave to Comics Journal (I think). Do I need to listen to this or is it butts? I think Jack's a pretty fascinating figure in comics history (plus he hated nazis, always a plus)

Cartoonist Kayfabe is Ed Piskor and Jim Rugg's channel and I think its pretty good, so I say give it a shot

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

El Gallinero Gros posted:

They are very good cartoonists and that was a pretty good interview. They rip on Stan a bunch early on but they turn around on him a bit later.

My favorite videos they’ve done recently are the Watterson / Calvin and Hobbes videos and the Kirby book reveal with Tom Scioli. Also the page flips on artist editions are good if you like that kinda stuff. They gush over them a lot but also talk process, which I find interesting.

Principal Hellmann
Jul 29, 2006
"I'm sending you to dentention FOREVER, LIEMAN!"
Keith Pollard, Denys Cowan and M.D. Bright are also black...

oh and Fred Clark A guy who drew comics for Jack Chick...

weird and wild...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Krazy Kat is a wild comic. Seeing something so offbeat and surreal from the 1910's is nuts.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Teenage Fansub posted:

Krazy Kat is a wild comic. Seeing something so offbeat and surreal from the 1910's is nuts.

Little Nemo is also pretty surreal, and probably also some of the prettiest art ever made in the comics medium

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Krazy Kat is legit great and more people should read it. You don't need to start at the beginning, just grab a collection and go with it (Fantagraphic's recent-ish collections titled "Krazy & Ignatz" are probably the most affordable option). There's also some strips in the public domain that you can find, though I'd really recommend a book over just picking through strips since there's a sing-song quality to the language that you have to start absorbing and it's easier to just look at one or two online and say, "I don't get it."

Fake edit: Oh hey, looking on Amazon, Fantagraphics has recently begun re-issuing Krazy Kat collections. That's nice since the pricing is a bit variable on their old collections.

drrockso20 posted:

Little Nemo is also pretty surreal, and probably also some of the prettiest art ever made in the comics medium

Little Nemo is also impressive, but there's two problems with it. First, there's shittons of racism in it. Second, Little Nemo was designed for full sized newspaper pages and as a result any collection that isn't oversized makes it hard to read. There's also some collections that reprint it full sized which are the largest books I own...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Feb 4, 2020

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

speaking of Herriman and Krazy Kat, here's a trove: https://joel.franusic.com/krazy_kat/

M.D. Bright was one of my favorite Marvel artists growing up. Probably my second-favorite G.I. Joe artist after Rod Whigham.

eta: I think Bright also did the issue of Iron Man that traumatized How Wonderful! and myself in which Spymaster removes Ghost's phasing device halfway through a wall

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Pastry of the Year posted:

speaking of Herriman and Krazy Kat, here's a trove: https://joel.franusic.com/krazy_kat/

M.D. Bright was one of my favorite Marvel artists growing up. Probably my second-favorite G.I. Joe artist after Rod Whigham.

eta: I think Bright also did the issue of Iron Man that traumatized How Wonderful! and myself in which Spymaster removes Ghost's phasing device halfway through a wall

Bob Layton on finishes but yeah. M.D. Bright was always underrated and fantastic, such a great grasp on bodies and body language, and one of the big reasons the Larry Hama G.I. Joe comics always felt like stories about real characters and not just action figures being put into novel poses.

Iron Man #220:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Krazy Kat is legit great and more people should read it. You don't need to start at the beginning, just grab a collection and go with it (Fantagraphic's recent-ish collections titled "Krazy & Ignatz" are probably the most affordable option). There's also some strips in the public domain that you can find, though I'd really recommend a book over just picking through strips since there's a sing-song quality to the language that you have to start absorbing and it's easier to just look at one or two online and say, "I don't get it."

Fake edit: Oh hey, looking on Amazon, Fantagraphics has recently begun re-issuing Krazy Kat collections. That's nice since the pricing is a bit variable on their old collections.

Little Nemo is also impressive, but there's two problems with it. First, there's shittons of racism in it. Second, Little Nemo was designed for full sized newspaper pages and as a result any collection that isn't oversized makes it hard to read. There's also some collections that reprint it full sized which are the largest books I own...

Yeah the Little Nemo collection I have is probably the largest book I own

As for the racism, you're definitely right that it's present, though most of the time I feel it's bearable, and at least on a personal level I often find it kinda funny because of how absurd and ignorant that kind of old timey racism can be, like it's so divorced from reality it becomes ridiculous, which is probably how I'm able to enjoy a lot of old media, the stuff in it that is horrible by modern standards becomes an unintentional source of comedy for me

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I almost forgot that Bright was the artist to finally reveal Snake-Eyes's face:

Spoilers for G.I. Joe continuity from ???? years ago

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Has there been any movement on the MiracleMan situation? I really want to get my hands on a MiracleMan omnibus with the Moore/Gaiman runs finally completed sometime in my lifetime

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

What the actual gently caress?

https://twitter.com/XavierFiles/status/1224531923055398912?s=19

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/DAIROCKETTO/status/888566066183495680?s=20

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I swear he's got to be one of the only men in history who looks more like a sex offender without the mustache than with one

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah the Little Nemo collection I have is probably the largest book I own

As for the racism, you're definitely right that it's present, though most of the time I feel it's bearable, and at least on a personal level I often find it kinda funny because of how absurd and ignorant that kind of old timey racism can be, like it's so divorced from reality it becomes ridiculous, which is probably how I'm able to enjoy a lot of old media, the stuff in it that is horrible by modern standards becomes an unintentional source of comedy for me

I kind of agree with your point, and the racism in Little Nemo does come across as being built on ignorance and bad cultural short hands rather than open hate. It's a bit like The Spirit in that regard, though I think Eisner tries to improve on his early depictions of African-Americans (not totally successfully, but the portrayal of Ebony White in 1948 is much better than his portrayal in 1942). The thing is, I'm always hesitant to recommend something problematic like that and I'm especially hesitant when there's so much of it like in Little Nemo. I tried to find a good Little Nemo strip to post in a thread a while back and it was hard to find on that didn't feature an unfortunate caricature.

Speaking of problematic, I'm up to October 1994 for Extreme Studios. And we've got some real problems with this round of books. You want more terrible handling of AIDS? You want a nude pictorial? You want some kind of weird fast pregnancy fetish? You want even more new number one issues?

Shadowhawk #0 - Might as well start with Liefeld's contribution to Image crossover month. For those who don't remember the character, Shadowhawk was Jim Valentino's contribution as one of the founding seven. Shadowhawk was an armored vigilante who broke criminal's spines because it was the 90's and everything was extreme. Initially, in his series, the readers didn't know who his secret identity was, though at this point that had been revealed. Apparently he was also HIV positive. I've only ever read one issue of Shadowhawk before and I'm not really interested in the character, but I've got to follow the Liefeld.

Oh god, the villain of the issue is Dr. Orpheus. He hasn't shown up on panel yet as I type this, but it's too late. My brain has already locked in.

Shadowhawk is caught by Bloodstrike, the brainwashed assassin rather than the team so I guess this issue zero does not take place before issue one, and he's offered a cure for AIDS in exchange for helping the government with a mission. HIV was, of course, created as a government project to infect and blackmail people with in the Image universe. They need to stop Dr. Orpheus from making more HIV and destroy the sample he has. And if they spill any HIV juice, everyone there gets AIDS as it becomes "a Chernobyl of HIV". They succeed, but then Shadowhawk is double-crossed by the government as the cure is destroyed in front of him.

Right off the bat, Liefeld is trying something different with his inking. He's using a much heavier brush, laying on these thick blocks of darkness. The problem is that Liefeld's style is that sketchy, heavily lined work. His figures are terrible and this style of inking just emphasizes that. Also, everything in this issue takes place in a featureless void which makes me think it was Liefeld pushing pages for the deadline.

Team Youngblood #14 - It's time for some real feminism from a company whose only female employee is the founder's sister. The subplot about Riptide posing for a psuedo-Playboy becomes the main plot for this issue. It's getting broken down more because it's pretty bad.

We open with two men telling a woman what she can and cannot do with her body. The government has paid the magazine a kill fee to not publish any pictures (which have yet to be taken) and they'll take the fee out of Riptide's salary if she goes through with the photo shoot. Riptide goes to the editor of the magazine who says he accepted the kill fee to protect his investment, which apparently he hasn't made yet since Riptide hasn't signed any contracts and now she demands more money. Also, she thinks that the editor contacted the government about this rather than the government contacting him which they would have because information about the photo shoot has already gone public. Riptide demands twice her fee for posing nude to make up for this. And the editor is a villain who is planning on killing her.

Back at Youngblood HQ, the team is watching media reports about the magazine as people are scandalized that the woman who typically wears next to nothing might possibly appear naked in a magazine. Cougar is looking forward to it, Sentinel is mad about it, and Photon doesn't understand human ways. Nobody will talk to Riptide about it.

At the photoshoot, Riptide thinks about how mad she is at everyone and how she's going to get undressed for the camera out of spite. She disrobes and the scene cuts away to Masada telling Cougar he's sexist, which he is but the scene is the laziest possible way of doing this. "How dare you ogle that woman!" kind of thing. They're stuck in traffic as they try to get to the studio to stop the photo shoot. It's too late, though because the comic has a centerfold, which the artists signed because of course they did. Riptide is nude but always just barely covered up despite there being a few poses where it's not really covered up.

Days later, Riptide's bosses are looking at the printed and published magazine as they discuss paying the kill fee to not have the magazine printed or published. They're sending her on one more mission, then she's fired. To be continued in New Men #8 next month.

Setting aside, the absolutely painful plot of this issue for a second, there's an awful lot of people talking ominously about doing something in this comic and then none of them doing anything. Magazine editor thinking Riptide won't be around long enough to spend her fee just gets his photos and then his part in the story is over. Riptide's boss says to evil underline "you know what to do" and apparently what to do is say, "You're fired."

New Men #7 - Might as well go to New Men next even if it's not the continuation.

The New Men's suburban house has been devastated by a robot attack and they're fleeing the robots through the sewers. Proctor returns to find the house wrecked and it turns out that he has an off button on the back of his neck. Really. It was his friend Khyber who turned him off and helped the New Men fight robots with the power of his small guns. This would be two pages after one of the New Men said small guns wouldn't work on the robots and threw one away. And Youngblood is being sent after them to put them into protective custody which was relayed to the superheroes as "apprehend the New Men by any means necessary."

So the gem on the psychic Reign's forehead is apparently an amplification gem and it might like to kill people. File that under "things that probably should have come up before issue 7".

Dash's sudden pregnancy comes and goes between panels in this issue. Also, despite seeing her emerge from the bathroom suddenly eight months pregnant and then carrying her around for a few miles, it takes Byrd until about page fifteen to realize she's pregnant.

Last time things had gotten nuts and I wanted to see how weird it would get next. And then nothing was followed up on in this issue. So that's what I get for having my hopes up.

Supreme: Glory Days #1 - Time for another number one issue. At this point we're deep into the bubble deflation territory but Extreme Studios keeps expanding.

Germany, 1945. Supreme is going around using heat vision on Nazis as the USA and definitely no other countries move in on Berlin. With the war over, Supreme decides to depart the earth. However, Wonder Woman stand-in Glory doesn't want him to go. When Supreme comes back, he goes to visit her and she punches him out for leaving for fifty years. Meanwhile in Germany, people are going to revive a Nazi villain.

This is a really choppy book with not a whole lot to it. It skips ahead in time in a way that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Also, for something titled "Glory Days" I thought it would feature Glory more. Instead, she's on three pages.

Doom's IV #4 - Hey, it's a final issue of something! There's a 1/2 issue that I'll have to talk about a little ways down the line, but it feels nice to have a series going away.

The... you know, I don't think they actually have a superhero team name. The group of people fleeing the Doom Corporation have been recaptured by the evil company and are being experimented on. They escape thanks to Brick's kids and then fight the villain team from the previous issue. Brick's kids turn off the computer and it turns out it was a load bearing computer because it causes Doom Corp's corporate headquarters to grow a giant face and then melt. The end.

This issue was a mess. There's a lot of "Wait, wasn't that over here?" and "Where did they go?" situations in this book. The villain just vanishes mysteriously between pages with no comment. Characters at two different locations interact. And then everything ends in a completely nonsensical. The villain team fight is perfunctory, which feels odd given how I'm usually complaining about the fight scenes been a drag in these books.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

I kind of agree with your point, and the racism in Little Nemo does come across as being built on ignorance and bad cultural short hands rather than open hate. It's a bit like The Spirit in that regard, though I think Eisner tries to improve on his early depictions of African-Americans (not totally successfully, but the portrayal of Ebony White in 1948 is much better than his portrayal in 1942). The thing is, I'm always hesitant to recommend something problematic like that and I'm especially hesitant when there's so much of it like in Little Nemo. I tried to find a good Little Nemo strip to post in a thread a while back and it was hard to find on that didn't feature an unfortunate caricature.

Way I see it, it's only a problem to recommend something problematic if you don't include the appropriate warnings, the old Looney Tunes DVD sets summed it up best;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoiMLfYUpXI

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Happy Hippo posted:

Has there been any movement on the MiracleMan situation? I really want to get my hands on a MiracleMan omnibus with the Moore/Gaiman runs finally completed sometime in my lifetime

Nope!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

I have the complete collection that Taschen published years ago. You can find non-racist stuff during the beginning (when it was just nemo fallig though a dream and before he meets people besides the dream royalty). But yeah, after that? YI-KES.

I think the "Return To Slumberland" series from Shanower and Rodríguez managed to skirt that by recoloring one character from black to green so that it was more of a hobo caricature and not deeply racist to black people. Also, I think they eliminate the native/witch doctor character. Plus, I think Rodríguez manages to come pretty close to Mckay in his designs and backgrounds.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Vincent posted:

I have the complete collection that Taschen published years ago. You can find non-racist stuff during the beginning (when it was just nemo fallig though a dream and before he meets people besides the dream royalty). But yeah, after that? YI-KES.

I think the "Return To Slumberland" series from Shanower and Rodríguez managed to skirt that by recoloring one character from black to green so that it was more of a hobo caricature and not deeply racist to black people. Also, I think they eliminate the native/witch doctor character. Plus, I think Rodríguez manages to come pretty close to Mckay in his designs and backgrounds.

If you're talking about Flip he was pretty much always drawn green, and indeed was pretty much always meant to be a little tramp child*, though you are right about that other character, and while the racist stuff is indeed unpleasant, I feel the comic overall has enough strong points to be more than worth reading even today

*well besides the animated movie which made him into an adult character so they could keep some of his aspects as a character that had evolved from simply being absurd for a kid to being downright verboten by the early 90's(like him smoking cigars)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

If you're talking about Flip he was pretty much always drawn green, and indeed was pretty much always meant to be a little tramp child*, though you are right about that other character, and while the racist stuff is indeed unpleasant, I feel the comic overall has enough strong points to be more than worth reading even today

*well besides the animated movie which made him into an adult character so they could keep some of his aspects as a character that had evolved from simply being absurd for a kid to being downright verboten by the early 90's(like him smoking cigars)

Ah, it's been a minute or two since I read it so you're probably right.