Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Eraflure posted:

Yeah photoshop threads are usually pretty successful

Fuckin hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Buller posted:

So ive played a bit more with my new Demacia tribal deck. And its really weak to Ionia and Shadow Isles, dont invest into a deck that doesnt run one of these regions.

Factions don't really work tribally, you need to find the tribe within the faction and focus that. So for Demacia that's Elites, which you could probably make a relatively okay deck from. But also if you're weak to Ionia and Shadow Isles you're probably investing in a tall, not a wide, strategy.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

So Swimstrim has updated his Tier List and has pushed Dawnspiders (and all his other previous T1 decks) down to Tier 2. The deck that replaced it is a Ionia/Demacia deck full of elusives. If you can craft the rest of it, just sub anything in for the Fiora's because they're not indispensible - in fact I don't think they've played a significant part in any of my wins so far apart from being a focus for enemy removal.

But since I've been playing it, I've only lost one game and thats because I didn't draw a creature before turn 4.

https://www.swimstrim.com/runeterra/deck-tier-list

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah I've sorta felt that every deck requires either challengers, lifesteal or kill spells or you just get whittled down by any elusive enemy, if the elusive units get buffed and you can't do anything about them you just have to sit there and take it.

Kinkou lifeblade is a top tier buff receiver too.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jan 27, 2020

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

njsykora posted:

And of course they'll sell many mascots, though for me they hosed up making the poro the free starting one. Until they make another poro.

This was my thought too. First thing I went to look at to spend actual money on and realized none of the premium ones was as cute as the free default.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Buller posted:

So ive played a bit more with my new Demacia tribal deck. And its really weak to Ionia and Shadow Isles, dont invest into a deck that doesnt run one of these regions.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Factions don't really work tribally, you need to find the tribe within the faction and focus that. So for Demacia that's Elites, which you could probably make a relatively okay deck from. But also if you're weak to Ionia and Shadow Isles you're probably investing in a tall, not a wide, strategy.

Demacia can be played a bunch of different ways instead of just with Elites - run Lucian, Dawnspeakers, some Challengers, etc. and go to work. Obviously you probably don't want to run single-faction in this game especially while the cardpool is small, but I don't think Demacia is bad and I don't think Demacia is locked into beef gates. Back to Back wins games. Judgment wins games. Radiant Guardian is a great curvetopper. Other than maybe Lux, none of the Demacian heroes feel weak to me. What's more is that Demacia has access to Detain, which is some of the best removal in the game. I fully expect Detain and Vengeance to eat nerfs and change to Slow speed, because as it stands now I think they're the reason Deny/Recall feels so strong - Detain and Vengeance can literally win the game the turn they're played and they can be played as fuckin combat tricks, so you run counterspells/boomerangs, stop the removal, and prevent the loss.

I actually feel like Ionia is essentially balanced in terms of its control suite, and I probably wouldn't change Deny's cost or tweak many of the Recall options the faction has. Elusive, on the other hand, feels very binary - either you brought Elusive/Challenger yourself or you get into a Nexus race very quickly, which many decks are just not suited to do. Someone posted earlier that swim now rates Elusive aggro as top tier, and I'm inclined to agree. I don't think Fiora OTK is as bad as swim thinks it is, nor do I think Dawnspiders is significantly worse than Elusive aggro, but I'm also not as good as swim, so take that with a grain of salt.

Even so, if you look at swim's update, Demacia features in 5 of his top 9 decks, tied with Shadow Isles (5) and ahead of Ionia and Freljord (3). The only faction that does not appear in his top 9 decks at all is P&Z, and while I agree with that in that I personally feel P&Z is the weakest faction I don't believe they're unplayable by any stretch.

The more I play, the more I think Shadow Isles is the faction due for the biggest adjustment, i.e. they'll be printing counters for them or power creeping the other factions first. There's just too much stuff to contend with if you're against SI. You have great card draw, a great removal suite, access to some silly Ephemeral combos, Elise and Hecarim both rule, and Rhasa flat out wins the game most times he's played with his ability.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Yeah I've sorta felt that every deck requires either challengers, lifesteal or kill spells or you just get whittled down by any elusive enemy, if the elusive units get buffed and you can't do anything about them you just have to sit there and take it.

Kinkou lifeblade is a top tier buff receiver too.

Playing it, Fiora is the weakest part of the deck and could easily be replaced . Most of the power comes out of the 1-2 cost Elusives (especially Greenglade Duo) and bouncing inspiring mentor's back to your hand or otherwise buffing your guys up.

One thing I'm not sure whether I appreciate or it annoys me more is that I just cant buy/craft every single card I want to try straight away. The free stuff + wildcards you can buy will get you 2-3 competitive decks but it doesn't give you a lot of room to play around and test the other cards.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I was more pointing out that if you're doing mono-Demacia the Elites package is a solid way to do it, because Demacia is the only place with Elites and they've got some pretty good synergy stuff going on.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

game has been out for a day and you’re already saying a random streaming nobody is better than you, have a little pride my gamer.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Tornhelm posted:

Playing it, Fiora is the weakest part of the deck and could easily be replaced . Most of the power comes out of the 1-2 cost Elusives (especially Greenglade Duo) and bouncing inspiring mentor's back to your hand or otherwise buffing your guys up.

One thing I'm not sure whether I appreciate or it annoys me more is that I just cant buy/craft every single card I want to try straight away. The free stuff + wildcards you can buy will get you 2-3 competitive decks but it doesn't give you a lot of room to play around and test the other cards.
I'm not sure what you'd replace Fiora with. She's actually pretty good, and running her will usually bait the opponent into spending valuable removal. She is the greatest decoy in my experience, and at 3 mana for a 3/3 Challenger that everyone tries to KOS you could do much worse. I'm not saying the deck doesn't work without her, but I don't think she's really that weak in an Elusive Dem/Io aggro deck.

Seconding the thing about limited card crafting. I want to get into playing Yasuo/Zed and I just... cannot, at least until tomorrow. I wouldn't mind spending another $10 to get the deck finished, but alas.

Lord_Magmar posted:

I was more pointing out that if you're doing mono-Demacia the Elites package is a solid way to do it, because Demacia is the only place with Elites and they've got some pretty good synergy stuff going on.
Fair.

I think mono anything is probably bad, even if you factor in Allegiance or whatever. There's just not enough in a single faction to justify not including something from somewhere else, including Shadow Isles and Ionia. I think I jumped the gun earlier because it felt like the discussion was "Demacia is bad," and I think that's incorrect.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Tornhelm posted:

So Swimstrim has updated his Tier List and has pushed Dawnspiders (and all his other previous T1 decks) down to Tier 2. The deck that replaced it is a Ionia/Demacia deck full of elusives. If you can craft the rest of it, just sub anything in for the Fiora's because they're not indispensible - in fact I don't think they've played a significant part in any of my wins so far apart from being a focus for enemy removal.

But since I've been playing it, I've only lost one game and thats because I didn't draw a creature before turn 4.

https://www.swimstrim.com/runeterra/deck-tier-list

In fact Swim specifically said not to craft Fiora for the deck on stream. He's just not sure what to replace her with

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Demacia isnt bad, its good when paired with Ionia or Shadow Isles. Just like every other region.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

i was 6-0, lost once, and it ended my run? thought you had two losses in a row to do that. stupid

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
The 7th win is all or nothing.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Buller posted:

The 7th win is all or nothing.

why? that’s dumb.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

boredsatellite posted:

In fact Swim specifically said not to craft Fiora for the deck on stream. He's just not sure what to replace her with

You could make a better deck with just no Champions, you don't -have- to include a champion in every deck.

Alternatively just slap in Garen for a body that can get you extra attack rounds.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

You could make a better deck with just no Champions, you don't -have- to include a champion in every deck.

Alternatively just slap in Garen for a body that can get you extra attack rounds.

Yeah there's already a couple decks circulating that have no Champions. Seems fine. I think Fiora works in the Elusive aggro engine because she draws fire away from something else. A lot of Fiora OTK builds actually win with GG Caretaker getting swole af because the opponent had to spend so much time/resources making sure Fiora didn't autowin, and I think she basically fits in Elusive aggro for the same reason. It's also becoming clearer that in this super-early meta you're seeing Challenger as one of the better keywords and Fiora has it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Jinx not being in swims tier list is hilarious. Please take it with a grain of salt, the only decks on there are decks he played in closed beta or decks he owns the wild cards for. You could learn more about the meta than swim by just watching a few different streamers (which he does not currently have the time to do).

The game has been surprisingly balanced so far, in that tons of things seem op. But I like fiora the best.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 27, 2020

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I was straining to build decks until I finished an expedition. Going 7 wins followed by 2 netted me 3500 shards and a bunch of cards, including a champion. If you're struggling for shards definitely make sure you've used your expedition token.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I went 7 wins in expedition, then my next one I went 0 wins 1 win.

For my first expedition I got 3500 shards, the second one I got 150 shards.

I wouldnt recommend spending shards on expedition unless you're really good or have no interest in constructed, 3k shards is a lot to lose. Use your tokens though ofc, if you hit level 10 vault rewards you'll get another one tomorrow.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I'm 7-0, 7-1/4-0 (stopped the run since I wouldn't have time to do my last expedition), 5-1 right now

:getin:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The weakest champions right now I'd say are Kalista and probably Lux, in expedition I'd also say Karma is too weak to pick because she is too RNG heavy filling your hand with bricks like purrsuits and then might even become weaker when she levels up because of how many spells don't benefit from the double cast.

Vlad also doesn't really seem worth the downsides at first glance, but maybe it's actually viable when you get a boatload of "when unit takes damage" synergies, but it seems too slow and harmful.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Vlad has so many synergy cards. Scathane, transfusion, and crimson disciple are really scary cards and some of his support cards like crimson awakener are just silly overstatted (Vlad's body is just crazy good as well). His cards are all so niche that nobody can dedicate the WCs (srsly almost all 40 cards in a freljord vlad deck are unplayable elsewherw) but I think it's real. The devs recognized how much of a downside damaging your own units is and made them really crazy to compensate.

Heimerdinger is the one who seems really bad to me, being bad against elusive, overwhelm, and challenger. You generally dont run out of cards in this game so I dont like him.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 27, 2020

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
This game's really fun and the card-getting seems a lot more generous than Hearthstone (which felt so greedy if you didn't play it 24/7 that I could never get into the game). Why the gently caress have they segregated regions in a game where latency doesn't matter though? It's fuckin dumb

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I do like this games opening set of cards way more then hearthstone's vanilla cards, far more variety and less obvious missing pieces like big minions or anything that has both good stats and text on the minion.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I had the opposite problem with vanilla HS. So much of the fun stuff you wanted to play was expensive. In runeterra the most exciting cards (to me) like jinx, fiora, and zed are 3 to 4 mana. The top end in runeterra is serviceable but the fun is where it belongs at 3-6 mana. Certainly a more interesting spread of plays than chillwind yeti.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 27, 2020

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Word of warning to others when using wildcards, you might want to wait and confirm a card is successfully created before creating the next one. Ran into this bug while creating 'She Who Wanders', 3 epic wildcards consumed and no cards created. They even show up in the transaction history and if I try to refund them it errors and fails. Currently waiting on Riot support for resolution.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

No Wave posted:

I had the opposite problem with vanilla HS. So much of the fun stuff you wanted to play was expensive. In runeterra the most exciting cards (to me) like jinx, fiora, and zed are 3 to 4 mana. The top end in runeterra is serviceable but the fun is where it belongs at 3-6 mana. Certainly a more interesting spread of plays than chillwind yeti.

Exactly, "wallet warrior" is called that for a reason, I'm just thinking of some of the 7+ mana minions in this game that are more game swinging then the plaintext 7/7 golem or 6/7 for 6 ogre in hearthstone, even just having fat statlines is far more powerful in this game then hearthstone because you can only trade 1 unit at a time into something.

I do hope they have put together a dedicated team to continue supporting the game and it won't be too long before a new set of cards comes out to expand the current small pool a few months from now.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
For those folks who are arena only type people, this game is actually very generous.

You go infinite on a 6 win run as long as you are willing to cash in the champion you get from in it (3000 trade in + 1000 shard prize). If you get to 7 wins, that's just gravy, and let's you build up a reserve for those bad runs where you don't get 6 or 7. You get two shots to do this each time as well.

I don't see it being that difficult to go infinite provided you don't mind destroying champion cards.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

The secret to Expedition is to just play the cards that do damage to an enemies nexus

Do 21 Elusive damage on turn 5 with your 3x Greenblade Duos It works every time!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

No Wave posted:

Vlad has so many synergy cards. Scathane, transfusion, and crimson disciple are really scary cards and some of his support cards like crimson awakener are just silly overstatted (Vlad's body is just crazy good as well). His cards are all so niche that nobody can dedicate the WCs (srsly almost all 40 cards in a freljord vlad deck are unplayable elsewherw) but I think it's real. The devs recognized how much of a downside damaging your own units is and made them really crazy to compensate.

Heimerdinger is the one who seems really bad to me, being bad against elusive, overwhelm, and challenger. You generally dont run out of cards in this game so I dont like him.

Heimerdinger is crazy good in the right deck, it’s just that deck is probably the hardest to play and most expensive to craft in the game. He’s basically the only real control champion in the game right now, Karma and Anivia and Lux all benefit from a control play style. But Heimerdinger wants a full on control gameplay that then uses the free minions to push the opponent onto the backfoot.

Basically he’s the Wallet Warrior equivalent where you combine control with value and make your opponent cry. Consider for example how good Vengeance is, and then staple a 7/1 with barrier to it. 8 mana spells (like his own progress day) give you a free 8/8. Worried about elusive toss down some 3 mana spells (which are universally pretty good and have burst).

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 27, 2020

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Heimer's big upfront problem is how tempo negative he is on 5. Most games, when I slam down a 5-drop on 5, I NEED that 5-drop. Heimer doesn't do anything until you start casting spells though, and that puts him at so much risk.

He might just need wildcards and good stall though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Megasabin posted:

For those folks who are arena only type people, this game is actually very generous.

You go infinite on a 6 win run as long as you are willing to cash in the champion you get from in it (3000 trade in + 1000 shard prize). If you get to 7 wins, that's just gravy, and let's you build up a reserve for those bad runs where you don't get 6 or 7. You get two shots to do this each time as well.

I don't see it being that difficult to go infinite provided you don't mind destroying champion cards.

Wait how do you destroy cards? I thought you only got shards if you already had all the champions

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

goferchan posted:

Wait how do you destroy cards? I thought you only got shards if you already had all the champions

Oh, really? I saw the shard cost when I right clicked on the champions in the deck builder and figured they could be trashed for that value. It doesn't let you do that?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

You can't get any more than 3 of any given card. It stops you from crafting additionals if you have 3, and any you pick up vis a vis capsules/chests/etc either get rerolled or turned to shards depending.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Monathin posted:

You can't get any more than 3 of any given card. It stops you from crafting additionals if you have 3, and any you pick up vis a vis capsules/chests/etc either get rerolled or turned to shards depending.

But are you allowed to deconstruct cards into shards?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Bardeh posted:

Why the gently caress have they segregated regions in a game where latency doesn't matter though? It's fuckin dumb

probably the same reason they invented a new currency rather than continue to use the premium currency from League - price discrimination.

Anyway

I'm halfway through my first expedition, so I'm sure some people can give more informed opinions, but it feels like people are still making the same mistake they do in HS Arena in trying to make constructed decks rather than just goodstuff.dec

The pool is small enough that you'll get your synergies, and sometimes even pop off a little, but it won't quite be constructed quality. Just curving out with a piece of premium removal or two can really carry games, and you're less likely to experience the blowouts of just plain not drawing your mushroom/frostbite/whatever enablers.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
They could probably make it so Elusive is lost on nexus strike if it becomes too big a problem and teemo and ezreal can regain it on nexus strike.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Megasabin posted:

But are you allowed to deconstruct cards into shards?

You cannot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Ah, then I amend my statement. It's not friendly to arena at all. It's actually pretty awful since 6th play only gives you 1000 shards.

I guess the goal would be to keep switching the regions and rush for champion decks as soon as possible to fill out all your champs x3, but with 24x3= 72 options that doesn't seem like it's going to happen anytime soon.