Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

there shouldnt have been generic blades at all, you eventually will bench them the second you get enough unique blades so there's no point in them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

But then what about the entirely superfluous make-work mercenary system??

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Man....now I want to play X2 again. But I was at the final boss when I last played, and remembered getting thoroughly stomped. But I want to start a new game. But new game plus is just a boss fight away, but I don't remember how to even combat anymore.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

turn down the difficulty to mega-easy and stomp the boss.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Amppelix posted:

turn down the difficulty to mega-easy and stomp the boss.

100% legit forgot that this was a thing.

arsegrit
Oct 22, 2004
The whole merc system would have been better if it also counted down whilst you weren't actively playing. You know, and if it did something more noticeable I guess.

I didn't actually make use of much of the rare blades I got during the main game either. I'm using them more now as I do some of the quests for them, but even so I kill things primarily with Mythra swapping off only to partake in a driver combo.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

multijoe posted:

But then what about the entirely superfluous make-work mercenary system??

Yo just to be sure you're aware but that system is a good way to passively level your idle blades, it actually unlocks things on them.

Also the generic blades still earn you boosts when maxed out and can have skills your unique blades don't get.

The gacha rates are too low for people looking to collect them all (that would be a great difficulty adjustment setting!) although I remember the idea being that everybody wouldn't have the full set every time you play.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

multijoe posted:

The only real QoL fix for the core crystal system would be to remove it altogether, or at least move the unique Blade drop rates several decimal places to the left

Every rare blade should've been available via a quest.

DLC Inc posted:

there shouldnt have been generic blades at all, you eventually will bench them the second you get enough unique blades so there's no point in them

Generic 4* blades with orb master were better than most rare blades.

Though all blades were equally inferior to murder goddess QT π.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I like the Gotcha system. It makes each play through unique instead of just doing the same thing over and over.

Pain in the rear end if you are a 100% guy tho

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Every rare blade should've been available via a quest.

Generic 4* blades with orb master were better than most rare blades.

Though all blades were equally inferior to murder goddess QT π.

Agreed, the guy earlier who said Tora and Poppi sucked clearly didn’t use QT π enough. I understand you only get her in a late-game side quest but she’s still amazing.

Of course a lot of her good abilities were locked behind Tiger Tiger :shepicide:

Rex’s personality is repeating back to people what they just said but in the form of a question.

Shulk’s personality is just shouting “FIOOOOooooRAAAAAAAA!” Over and over.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Morag is better anyway. :colbert:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1x9kY01OSE&t=388s

Not sure if this has already been posted but ...they fixed the questing! This is literally the only change in the rerelease I really wanted to hear

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Agreed, the guy earlier who said Tora and Poppi sucked clearly didn’t use QT π enough. I understand you only get her in a late-game side quest but she’s still amazing.

Of course a lot of her good abilities were locked behind Tiger Tiger :shepicide:

I mean you answered your own question, it loving sucked unlocking the final form so late and I was already about to finish the game by then and gently caress playing that minigame for hours on end

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Poppi and Poppi QT worked well enough on their own, but yeah still required spending time in Tiger Tiger. I think I ended up with everything I needed to make the full murder mode setup because I got lucky with elemental cores and some other items, so I was able to just buy the rest of what I needed. At least I was able to just hammer out the several hours of minigame tedium while streaming some TV shows. Once they added the easy mode that didn't make you take damage from touching walls, the minigame became effortless.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I spent, like, 10 minutes playing Tiger Tiger and putting stuff on Poppi and I was still able to use Tora as my tank at the end of the game with no real problems. Seemed like giving Tora good accessories and affinity ranks with Poppi was enough to make them relevant. Then I got Perceval on Morag and it loving ruled.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I like Morag as a character but the AI does not handle her well at all. Granted you can just play as her yourself, but I usually stuck with Rex to be able to get the topple/launch/smash combo reliably.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

When I got Morag I pulled two tank sword rare blades on her when I used a handful of cores and even with 3 rare blades that had really good synergy she just wasn't worth it tbh.

And then I got Poppi's final form in the late game and watched as Tora soloed superbosses and I think the only setup that came close to their DPS was NG+ Zeke.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Some stuff about FC and a future Monolith Soft game.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The Xenoblade: The Secret Files art/lore book back from the original Japanese release is now finally available in English! This thing is really cool and worth a download if you've beaten the game.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

neat

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Contains useful and cool info, such as

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I like the Gotcha system. It makes each play through unique instead of just doing the same thing over and over.

Pain in the rear end if you are a 100% guy tho

I feel like it misunderstands how most people play games, which is that you'll try and collect everything if you can.
I did like the system to a degree but yea I think it would have been more fun for me if there were quests for the blades. Even if they were random - so I might get a quest that gives me that spear woman and you might get Electra instead.

You can still work it so it's different for everyone but not as crappy as the one we got.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

do most people play like that? isn't it only us who're invested enough to post in the thread on somethingawful dot com who care about seeing everything in a game

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Most people don't finish games

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

It took me over 50 rare cores before I got one single rare healer blade on Nia, with her luck as high as I could get it at various points in the game. She was basically running Dromarch and two commons for 75% of the game, then I found Vess from the quest chain in Gormott, then I didn't get anything else until post-game. It was infuriating.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Most people don't finish games

Yea I guess I'm saying "the people who finish it" so the 30% of the people who actually see the end of the game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Safari Disco Lion posted:

It took me over 50 rare cores before I got one single rare healer blade on Nia, with her luck as high as I could get it at various points in the game. She was basically running Dromarch and two commons for 75% of the game, then I found Vess from the quest chain in Gormott, then I didn't get anything else until post-game. It was infuriating.
this situation is what the overdrives are for.

this is also my chief complaint about the random pull system though, not being able to distribute the blade freely among the cast, while it can lead to surprising combinations you definitely wouldn't have tried otherwise, is more annoying than anything and has a high chance of screwing you over in the early game when resources are limited. it wouldn't be as bad if all the party members didn't have clearly preferred weapons that they have good arts with, and clearly not preferred weapons that they only have real sucky arts with. I wish I could load up Nia with axes and lances and have it be good!

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Amppelix posted:

this situation is what the overdrives are for.

I ended up using two overdrives to give Perceval (unlocked on Nia) to Morag and Dagas (also unlocked on Nia :v:) to Zeke.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
“Gacha blades means every playthrough is different” is a sensible argument until you’re talking about an 80 hour JRPG that people are unlikely to finish once, much less two or more times.

Like, if it was a short game with a lot of branching paths/different ways to experience the content? Hell yeah, give me random blades, surprising and interesting combinations will make this game cooler.

But at one 80 hour run, it’s just a way to ruin the experience for some unlucky players, and to make completionists who were going to get all the blades anyway sink dozens of hours into tedious farming of that dumb cow for crystal drops.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CaptainPsyko posted:

“Gacha blades means every playthrough is different” is a sensible argument until you’re talking about an 80 hour JRPG that people are unlikely to finish once, much less two or more times.

Like, if it was a short game with a lot of branching paths/different ways to experience the content? Hell yeah, give me random blades, surprising and interesting combinations will make this game cooler.

But at one 80 hour run, it’s just a way to ruin the experience for some unlucky players, and to make completionists who were going to get all the blades anyway sink dozens of hours into tedious farming of that dumb cow for crystal drops.

I think the argument for keeping Gacha blades so playthroughs are different also includes making it so rare blades are actually the only ones in the pool (or insanely more likely to be pulled)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think they could fix it just by sticking a post-game vendor somewhere to give you whatever gatcha rares you're missing, even if they were at a steep price per core.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I definitely would have enjoyed it more if they completely pied off the "regular" blades. I only used them when I had no other choice.
Like has been said (and was said before too) it feels like a system that only makes sense if you're forcing people to pay for each step of it and you're not, so what's the point?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think they could fix it just by sticking a post-game vendor somewhere to give you whatever gatcha rares you're missing, even if they were at a steep price per core.

Nah, because this solves for people who are already committed to 80 hours playing the game. The real problem is people who get bent over a loving barrel right out of the gate and never finish because the whole experience of the dumb system makes the game unnecessarily harder.

(Not that XB2 is a particularly difficult game - but what difficulty there is is mostly in this huge mountain of systems learning you need to do that can be utterly crippled if you just never get the right weapons on the right characters.)

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Taear posted:

I definitely would have enjoyed it more if they completely pied off the "regular" blades. I only used them when I had no other choice.
Like has been said (and was said before too) it feels like a system that only makes sense if you're forcing people to pay for each step of it and you're not, so what's the point?

It was purely a marketing thing. They wanted players to generate publicity for them by tweeting about their pulls, like people do with actual gatcha games (source)

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

CaptainPsyko posted:

Nah, because this solves for people who are already committed to 80 hours playing the game. The real problem is people who get bent over a loving barrel right out of the gate and never finish because the whole experience of the dumb system makes the game unnecessarily harder.

(Not that XB2 is a particularly difficult game - but what difficulty there is is mostly in this huge mountain of systems learning you need to do that can be utterly crippled if you just never get the right weapons on the right characters.)

Yeah it definitely doesn't feel good to get lovely blades, or realize that you hosed up by unlocking a bunch on Rex (I only unlocked a few commons and Gorg on him before reading the beforeiplay page) . It's not a huge deal technically because the right 3 star common blade can be broken AF and way more powerful than any rare, but it's not nearly as fun when it's a blade that doesn't have a cool appearance and side stories.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Yeah it definitely doesn't feel good to get lovely blades, or realize that you hosed up by unlocking a bunch on Rex (I only unlocked a few commons and Gorg on him before reading the beforeiplay page) . It's not a huge deal technically because the right 3 star common blade can be broken AF and way more powerful than any rare, but it's not nearly as fun when it's a blade that doesn't have a cool appearance and side stories.

I didn’t have too much of a problem with the commons, but the overdrive system was ridiculous.

Luckily, everyone gets all the blades you really need anyway. And filling in 1 lovely common blade isn’t that bad. Granted, I ran Rex, Nia, Morag. So Rex had mythra, Pandora, and Roc for the topple launch smash goodness. Morag had her two story blades and some lovely common katana guy, and Nia had Dromarch, 1 rare healer, and 1 lovely common dog healer blade . I would have ran Tora but I couldn’t stand Tiger Tiger and Tora’s “MEH MEH MEH” or whatever the gently caress he says every fight.

Game was easy enough that I didn’t need more, but drat it would have been more fun with a lower amount of rare blades but more story for each of them.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

It's not really about the common blades being BAD necessarily. They're just boring.
They're the +1 sword compared to Lilacor, you know.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Taear posted:

It's not really about the common blades being BAD necessarily. They're just boring.
They're the +1 sword compared to Lilacor, you know.

Exactly. And the blade missions and heart-to-hearts are great. Wulfric is a perfect, wonderful creature.

Zarfol posted:

I didn’t have too much of a problem with the commons, but the overdrive system was ridiculous.

Luckily, everyone gets all the blades you really need anyway. And filling in 1 lovely common blade isn’t that bad. Granted, I ran Rex, Nia, Morag. So Rex had mythra, Pandora, and Roc for the topple launch smash goodness. Morag had her two story blades and some lovely common katana guy, and Nia had Dromarch, 1 rare healer, and 1 lovely common dog healer blade . I would have ran Tora but I couldn’t stand Tiger Tiger and Tora’s “MEH MEH MEH” or whatever the gently caress he says every fight.

Game was easy enough that I didn’t need more, but drat it would have been more fun with a lower amount of rare blades but more story for each of them.

I agree with all this except the game being easy; once you're in post-game or challenges you really do need to specialize things with good blades and min-max to farm superbosses and such. At that point only the most OP of OP 3 star common with the best RNG possible would be able to compete.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

CaptainPsyko posted:

I mean ruin it for unlucky players also doesn’t work for most players as the only blade people had any kind of interest in pulling specifically was Kos MOS. I doubt the majority who played even knew what the blades you could pull looked like let alone had any particular interest in pulling a specific blade.

It’s not like you needed to pull any specific blade to do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Way too many of the rare Blades also had unbearably horny trash artwork when all I wanted was Zenobia but could I get Zenobia no have Tits Rabbit instead