Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

maybe so, but i'll play the original if it comes to that, very few games genuinely gain much from getting a remake.

i feel like demons' souls is one of those games, it was right before they really nailed the souls formula, it'll be cool to see how they modernize it. also, it has my favourite atmosphere of those games and i really want to see if they can keep the oppressive feel on a more modern engine

on that note, all i needed from ffvii remake was to see HD cloud in a dress and it surprised me at how well they captured a lot of the charm of the original. re2 remake was also cool. i'm not a fan of remasters, but i'm pretty positive on remakes atm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

they shut off the servers for the original so you can't play it as-was any more

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
the remasters are worth it for the 60 fps alone

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

r u ready to WALK posted:

it's a small price to pay for not having to janitor a Windows

when you get home from a long day at work and want to enjoy some relaxed couch gaming it's so loving nice when it just works reliably

when I get home from work I like to unwind with a nice session of installing updates, rebooting windows, reading log files, and searching through machine-translated forum scrapers to get my game to stop crashing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
tbf, you can straight up enjoy that same experience on any console from the last decade.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

infernal machines posted:

tbf, you can straight up enjoy that same experience on any console from the last decade.

nope, never had to do more than occasionally wait for an update on any console I’ve ever owned

in fact, you can take the post I loving know you’re going to make and put it on r/pcmasterrace where it belongs

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

josh04 posted:

they shut off the servers for the original so you can't play it as-was any more

I think people are trying to create a private server if you have a have ps3

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

carry on then posted:

in fact, you can take the post I loving know you’re going to make and put it on r/pcmasterrace where it belongs

i have no idea what the gently caress you're talking about, but okay.

did you know you can save time and effort by having conversations entirely in your own head?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

you have to blow on the cartridge op

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

no, then you get spittle in there and the release day 20GB patch will take even longer to install

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i have no idea what the gently caress you're talking about, but okay.

did you know you can save time and effort by having conversations entirely in your own head?

you are king poo poo of :smug: windows works flawlessly if you're not stupid :smug:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol. that's definitely not something i have said. i have said that yosposters are loving terrible with computers and cause most of their own problems, but no, windows is janky as poo poo

what relevance that has to multi-gig patches preventing you from just sitting down and playing a game on a modern console, i don't know. i do know that is a thing though

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

carry on then posted:

nope, never had to do more than occasionally wait for an update on any console I’ve ever owned

pffft what an amateur hour gaming career, I’ve never downloaded a patch for a game on any console I’ve owned because the games I bought were actually good

tbf the only consoles that I have owned have been an N64

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

release the kings field remake u from software cowards

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
hope they fix the terrible fuckin wifi on this piece of poo poo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
is it going to have animal crossing because i want to play animal crossing

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i hope it has linux

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

the cell cpu was kinda cool for that brief moment in time when Team PS3 was the largest and most productive Folding@Home contributor

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah it was really good for certain DSP things too. I remember several papers that used a fleet of them to do poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what it wasn't good at was running game engines, especially game engines that were developed for more than one system.

at least with everyone building essentially custom PCs, cross platform games won't be quite so hamstrung by weird-rear end architectures

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Jonny 290 posted:

it will never and frankly that’s a point for imo

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

what it wasn't good at was running game engines, especially game engines that were developed for more than one system.

at least with everyone building essentially custom PCs, cross platform games won't be quite so hamstrung by weird-rear end architectures

the moment the spec sheets fully drop will be an excellent point in time to buy a really cheap gaming pc. just buy the slightly higher clocked/performant version of every component in the ps5/xboxxxxx and you'll be set for like a decade of aaa gaming.

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

all the chat about the pandemics favourite game made me want to try it, but i don't have a switch, so i played the gamecube version in an emulator until i hosed up my save game

i quite liked it though, so i grabbed castaway paradise on steam, which turned out to have a known issue with loving up your saves such that the game loads, but you can't leave your house, guess what happened

then i was playing stardew valley until the w10 v2004 update broke compatibility with knock off 360 wireless receivers, so now i have to gently caress around editing the ini and temporarily enabling unsigned drivers and poo poo to fix it

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
pcmasterrace baby

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
demons souls owned

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Father Jack posted:

so now i have to gently caress around editing the ini and temporarily enabling unsigned drivers and poo poo to fix it

what the christ are you loving doing?

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

what the christ are you loving doing?

this:
https://tarantulo.lt/how-to/how-to-install-drivers-for-xbox-360-chinese-wireless-receiver/

the latest build of windows broke support for knock off 360 wireless receivers

the fix is:
- edit a hardware ID in the (official, downloaded from microsoft) inf
- turn off requiring drivers to be signed
- install the edited driver
- turn requiring drivers to be signed to install back on

it's a pain in the hoop, and definitely counts as janitoring, but as far as i can see not a security risk or anything

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah, that's fine as long as you're re-enabling driver signature enforcement, but good grief that's some bullshit for a knock-off gamepad.

reminds me of the poo poo you used to have to pull to get ps3 controllers working in windows. ultimately the best solution was "buy a controller that's natively supported in windows"

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Father Jack posted:

this:
https://tarantulo.lt/how-to/how-to-install-drivers-for-xbox-360-chinese-wireless-receiver/

the latest build of windows broke support for knock off 360 wireless receivers

the fix is:
- edit a hardware ID in the (official, downloaded from microsoft) inf
- turn off requiring drivers to be signed
- install the edited driver
- turn requiring drivers to be signed to install back on

it's a pain in the hoop, and definitely counts as janitoring, but as far as i can see not a security risk or anything

lol

but seriously trying to use any controller on windows that isn't an xbox controller is a pain in the rear end and requires installing all kinds of janky drivers and services written by who knows who
windows is garbage

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

the controllers are official 360 wireless controllers, still work fine, and are officially supported

the jank is in the knock off wireless receiver. if i could have bought an official one i would, but they're like hen's teeth

i've got an 8bit-do snes style controller that's fine, but also a knock off dual shock 3, and gently caress all the poo poo you need to do for that to maybe work

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The_Franz posted:

lol

but seriously trying to use any controller on windows that isn't an xbox controller is a pain in the rear end and requires installing all kinds of janky drivers and services written by who knows who
windows is garbage

what, do controller drivers on Linux work better than sound drivers?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the moment the spec sheets fully drop will be an excellent point in time to buy a really cheap gaming pc. just buy the slightly higher clocked/performant version of every component in the ps5/xboxxxxx and you'll be set for like a decade of aaa gaming.

this checks out and its why my previous computer was almost a decade old and still fine until component failures a few months ago. even an i5 2500k could push games at at least medium still which is about baseline console or better

Father Jack posted:

all the chat about the pandemics favourite game made me want to try it, but i don't have a switch, so i played the gamecube version in an emulator until i hosed up my save game

i have never crossed an animal in my life and it is easily the most relaxing game of all the ones ive played or play now. i dont know if id do more village building games but id highly recommend the genre for chill gaming

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
the problem with using game controllers on PC is that they're console devices and therefore inherently bad

driving games are the only games that makes sense to play with a controller anyway

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

sounds like someone should game on linux instead

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Zlodo posted:

the problem with using game controllers on PC is that they're console devices and therefore inherently bad

driving games are the only games that makes sense to play with a controller anyway

99% of pc games are ports of console games and designed with controller in mind.

using a keyboard and mouse doesn't make any sense

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

power botton posted:

99% of pc games are ports of console games and designed with controller in mind.

using a keyboard and mouse doesn't make any sense

wish you didn't use a keyboard

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Zlodo posted:

wish you didn't use a keyboard

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
but for real tho, imagine trying to parry the soul of cinder on a keyboard lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Zlodo posted:

for someone sitting alone at a desk playing a twitch shooter, yes

for someone sitting on the sofa with their frien.........

oh.