Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Jimong5 posted:

14-50 is the best choice because the cost to install would be similar but if you have capacity issues a 14-30 is perfectly fine for residential use. A 30A charger can deliver 5.7kw an hour which should be good for 20-30 miles of range. I'm having a hard time imagining a residential use case that would need much more than that.

This is from a while back, but most current models are limited what you can get out of a 40A circuit. The only exceptions I can think of right now are teslas that aren't the model 3 SR/SR+, the e-tron, and the porsche taycan. A 30A circuit is still more than enough for the most part. Higher amps could let you hit lower rates if you have get off-hours pricing, but you should be able to fill up overnight either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I wonder if Nissan will cascade the liquid cooled battery down to the Leaf, or simply replace the Leaf with a new model. Nothing terribly surprising about the Ariya, but they are way behind the competition now, which have all moved past the Leaf. Not selling this until late 2021 will mean it’s dropping into a more crowded market with brands that offer more cachet than Nissan. It will be interesting if they can make the jump from the current “we’ll finance just about anyone” model to their new vision of actually being profitable.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

Finger Prince posted:

The before picture looks just as generic, just "concept render smoothed". For every person that bemoans the bland generic design of many new EVs, there's a reason for it, and it's every person who crowed about "why does a hybrid/EV have to look like a goddamn alien space ship from the future, just make it look like a normal car.

The before pic also looks like a hot hatch and the real production vehicle is a goddamned SUV. Which was my point

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I wonder if Nissan will cascade the liquid cooled battery down to the Leaf, or simply replace the Leaf with a new model. Nothing terribly surprising about the Ariya, but they are way behind the competition now, which have all moved past the Leaf. Not selling this until late 2021 will mean it’s dropping into a more crowded market with brands that offer more cachet than Nissan. It will be interesting if they can make the jump from the current “we’ll finance just about anyone” model to their new vision of actually being profitable.

I don't think 21 is actually going to be all that crowded. Late 21 means the following nominally planned launches for North America, which I've sorted (subjectively) by how likely I think they are to occur:

Definitely:
Mach E
ID.4, and maybe some other VAG MEB stuff like Q4E, but it won't be that different so I'm lumping it all together.
Polestar2
XC40 Recharge

Probably:
F-150E
Hummer
MB EQA

Maybe:
Cybertruk
Rivian Truck
BMW iNEXT
MX-30

What else? I get maybe six approximate competitors (Mach E, ID.4, EQA, iNEXT, MX-30, XC40), with a couple more if you split out the MEB family. Mach E and Polestar2 are more expensive than Ariya's price point, the others are speculative, so I think the real competitors are probably ID.4, XC40, and EQA (if Daimler gets the EQA out in 2021).

edit: I forgot a few things - XC40 Recharge, MX-30, Polestar2

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 15, 2020

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

4WD and 90 kWh at sub Model 3 prices = hotcakes in Norway at least, late 2021 notwithstanding.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

Maybe a dual thing like the e-tron, with Type 2 only on the passenger side and CCS on driver's side, as local market dictates. The pics from here at least show ports on both sides.

Like that color, nice with something other than white, black or grey.

Ah yes, the mythical 4th colour option: beige :D
I kid, I kid. (I have a secret crush on a beige Prius prime. I think they call it titanium.... beige)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

Ah yes, the mythical 4th colour option: beige :D
I kid, I kid. (I have a secret crush on a beige Prius prime. I think they call it titanium.... beige)

That looks more like copper metallic to me, but then again I am wearing light beige trousers in an office environment right now, so I am not the most radical color person. Your generic reds and blues also belong in just about any car's colour swatch of course.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Don't slander the best thing about the Nissan. Ok it's metallic beige but still in a world of black, white and silver, copper is an awesome color. Remember the original copper Hayabusa.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The e-tron actually has a decent color palette for a modern car but of the 11 colors offered, seven are monochrome. :geno:

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Ola posted:

4WD and 90 kWh at sub Model 3 prices = hotcakes in Norway at least, late 2021 notwithstanding.
The pricing is what I think will eventually make the Nissan a winner. In my state in the U.S.(NJ) that would mean $27,500 (255,334 Kroner) for FWD and smaller battery after government incentives with no sales tax. Imagine that little for an advanced driving aid having EV car with HUD etc. It's almost a no brainer price wise.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’d love it for Ohio to give a poo poo about electric at all. I keep looking at the Kona and thinking that’d be great but last time I went to the dealer for a car checkup they were like “EVs? Lmao no one wants those”. They didn’t even have the plug in hybrids variants around. It’s loving bullshit.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Yuns posted:

Don't slander the best thing about the Nissan. Ok it's metallic beige but still in a world of black, white and silver, copper is an awesome color. Remember the original copper Hayabusa.

Haha, yeah I know, personally I think it looks really sharp in that colour! It speaks volumes about the current blandness of the automotive paint world we live in that a burnished beige is an eye-catching option. When I merged on the highway yesterday evening, I counted 11 white cars in my immediate vicinity. There's an extremely vibrant blue Corolla hatch that heads down the highway in the opposite direction to me every morning and it brightens my morning every time I see it.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'm glad to hear that Nissan finally decided to make the Ariya use the CCS standards in NA and EU.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't think 21 is actually going to be all that crowded. Late 21 means the following nominally planned launches for North America, which I've sorted (subjectively) by how likely I think they are to occur:

What else? I get maybe six approximate competitors (Mach E, ID.4, EQA, iNEXT, MX-30, XC40), with a couple more if you split out the MEB family. Mach E and Polestar2 are more expensive than Ariya's price point, the others are speculative, so I think the real competitors are probably ID.4, XC40, and EQA (if Daimler gets the EQA out in 2021).

edit: I forgot a few things - XC40 Recharge, MX-30, Polestar2

GM has a Bolt refresh and the Bolt crossover scheduled for 2021. There's also the Cadillac Lyriq as a maybe.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

There are a couple of Smart cars driving around in Fairfax County.

I see them regularly at the free level 2 chargers in the area.

Here's one at the free chargers in front of Falls Church City Hall in January:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Jimong5 posted:

GM has a Bolt refresh and the Bolt crossover scheduled for 2021. There's also the Cadillac Lyriq as a maybe.

That Bolt refresh is very mild and will not suddenly make that car popular, and I'm not sold on the EUV - it is a taller slightly longer Bolt, same architecture. I don't think that's what's preventing the Bolt from selling. They both will exist in 2021 though, for sure.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Late to the power supply chat, but for the low low price of "contact us for a quote", you could get a Hobart/ITW GSE 2400 GPU that takes ~230V AC in and spits out 3 phase 115/200V AC at 30 or 45kVA, if you don't mind 400hz.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

So the British press release on Nissan's new CUV said the big battery option will support up to 22kW AC three phase. This is consistent with what Tesla offers on their big battery models (the S and X), and will fill it from empty to full in ~4 hours. It also points out that if nations or states want to support mass EV adoption they need to regulate for three phase availability in residential zoning.

Makes me wonder what onboard charging would look like on Rivian's proposed 200kWH model.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

There are some parts of Norway where every house has three phase 400V to the fuse box. The older the neighborhood, the less likely I suppose.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

You adapt to it surprisingly quickly.

I imagine it's quite similar to riding a motorcycle with a high-strung engine - I'm able to use engine braking to handle a huge amount of my braking needs, as long as it's not a quick stop.

Electric car subsidies have rendered Renaults free in Germany

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

My Energica Ego's regenerative braking in the 'high' setting is more than twice as effective as my Model 3's 'normal' regen setting. It's nuts.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Also late to the power supply chat: Unless you drive a lot, and/or live in a very cold area, you will most likely never need more than 4-5 kilowatts of charging at home. That's 20A at 240V. No 3-phase needed.

Also re: 400Hz converters - keep those loving things away from me, we had an electrical fire onboard ship (navy frigate) from the 400 Hz system once that put a bunch of people (including me :downs: ) in the infirmary. gently caress that poo poo.

Ola posted:

There are some parts of Norway where every house has three phase 400V to the fuse box. The older the neighborhood, the less likely I suppose.

Most older houses have 40-63A 3-phase 230V IT. Newer construction has 40-63A 3-phase 400V TN. 63A 230V IT = 25 kW, 63A 400V TN = 43 kW.

230V IT is a pain in the dick for faster (>7.4 kW) home EV charging unless you have a Model 3/Y or get a 230V IT -> 400V TN transformer (they cost about $2500 and are a bitch and a half to move around due to the weight).

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That Bolt refresh is very mild and will not suddenly make that car popular, and I'm not sold on the EUV - it is a taller slightly longer Bolt, same architecture. I don't think that's what's preventing the Bolt from selling. They both will exist in 2021 though, for sure.

The bolt's shape throws people off because it looks like a car but it's actually the size of most compact SUVs on the market. For example here's a Bolt superimposed with a Trax and a Soul:

Adding 3 inches to it and making it look less like a hatchback brings it close to a similar size to the Equinox, RAV 4, and CRV and probably a better fit for the American market when it presents itself as crossover vs small hatch.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Are any other people in this thread parents of kids old enough to be heavily involved in extracurriculars including travel sports? If so how do you deal with recharging and planning? As a parent of kids who compete year round in sports (ski racing, swimming, lacrosse, etc.) as well as participate in other extracurriculars like state orchestra etc., pre-COVID I was on the road pretty much constantly on weekends. This includes both long out of state trips to compete as well as just being on the road chauffering them locally from lesson to lesson. Even without long trips, 8 hours on the road in a day including sitting at Starbucks waiting for them is not abnormal.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Has anyone made the big crush on CHAdeMO joke yet?

Also thanks whoever linked the tiny electric pickup on Alibaba in the last thread, I'm obsessed and have spent hours comparing them. I want 1 of every type.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’d love it for Ohio to give a poo poo about electric at all. I keep looking at the Kona and thinking that’d be great but last time I went to the dealer for a car checkup they were like “EVs? Lmao no one wants those”. They didn’t even have the plug in hybrids variants around. It’s loving bullshit.

This is where I’m at. I’m considering a PHEV but they only stock them in CARB states worth a drat. There’s no Ioniqs and three Prius Primes in all of Arizona, all base trim.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Wibla posted:

Also late to the power supply chat: Unless you drive a lot, and/or live in a very cold area, you will most likely never need more than 4-5 kilowatts of charging at home. That's 20A at 240V. No 3-phase needed.

Also re: 400Hz converters - keep those loving things away from me, we had an electrical fire onboard ship (navy frigate) from the 400 Hz system once that put a bunch of people (including me :downs: ) in the infirmary. gently caress that poo poo.

Also every time you change voltage, or run power though a phase converter, you sacrifice some efficiency. That's ok for running a welder or 3 phase equipment occasionally in your residential shop. Seems counter-productive for an EV.

pun pundit posted:

So the British press release on Nissan's new CUV said the big battery option will support up to 22kW AC three phase. This is consistent with what Tesla offers on their big battery models (the S and X), and will fill it from empty to full in ~4 hours. It also points out that if nations or states want to support mass EV adoption they need to regulate for three phase availability in residential zoning.

Makes me wonder what onboard charging would look like on Rivian's proposed 200kWH model.

That's real easy for Nissan to say. Even assuming a magic wand could be waved and upgraded distribution lines installed quickly, the realities of power generation and transmission make at-home fast charging on a global scale ridiculously inefficient (and counterproductive if anyone wants to move away from coal and natural gas).

At-home energy storage that can slow charge all the time (or at off-peak times) and then fast charge your EV on demand is a much more realistic proposal.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

PirateDentist posted:

This is where I’m at. I’m considering a PHEV but they only stock them in CARB states worth a drat. There’s no Ioniqs and three Prius Primes in all of Arizona, all base trim.

You could go CARMAX route and have it shipped to your closest one. Adds some cost but I did it for my last car and had a good experience

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's super weird because there are plenty of EVs. Columbus is full of Teslas, I see them plus Bolts and Leafs all over central Ohio. Plus tons of Volts.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

angryrobots posted:

Also every time you change voltage, or run power though a phase converter, you sacrifice some efficiency. That's ok for running a welder or 3 phase equipment occasionally in your residential shop. Seems counter-productive for an EV.

Especially when newer EV's have multiple charger modules and connect them up depending on the source voltage/phase count.

angryrobots posted:

That's real easy for Nissan to say. Even assuming a magic wand could be waved and upgraded distribution lines installed quickly, the realities of power generation and transmission make at-home fast charging on a global scale ridiculously inefficient (and counterproductive if anyone wants to move away from coal and natural gas).

At-home energy storage that can slow charge all the time (or at off-peak times) and then fast charge your EV on demand is a much more realistic proposal.

Nissan can gently caress right off.

At-home energy storage used for fast DC EV charging is equally unrealistic at this point, because of the costs involved.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Being able to output that power will probably be less important than switching off the input. We've discussed it before and I've seen it mentioned in tech articles, where power companies give lower rates to big refrigeration systems for instance in return for being able to switch them off by remote command - obviously within safe parameters to whatever is being refrigerated. You can store power like this as well, by freezing the warehouse deeper when the power is cheap and letting it that into the upper range of the temperature tolerance when power is more scarce.

You could for instance get a cheaper plan if the power company was allowed to switch off your charging for a maximum of two hours say every day. You put your car on the charger and don't worry, the power company handles the morning spike by switching off load as required. You walk out to a car that has enough range anyway, because you've obviously set this switching to match your requirements.

There is huge amounts of potential in this type of energy management, which is so much simpler than giant flywheels or pumped hydro, and so much cheaper than vast banks of batteries. It's a wet dream for certain nation states with active hacking teams of course.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
I'm looking at buying a PHEV/EV in the near future but I have no idea where to start with comparing them. I also have no idea what to check in a used EV. Anyone got some links or wikis where I can read up on what's currently available so I can come back and ask more useful questions?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ReaperUnreal posted:

I'm looking at buying a PHEV/EV in the near future but I have no idea where to start with comparing them. I also have no idea what to check in a used EV. Anyone got some links or wikis where I can read up on what's currently available so I can come back and ask more useful questions?

Here's a wiki link to what's currently available but I'm not sure how helpful it will be. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_electric_cars_currently_available A useful think to check on Gen 1 Nissan Leafs is the battery health indicator next to the charge level.

I think youtube will be your friend. Where are you located, what's your approx budget and range reqs? Then you can get some brand suggestions and you can look up the cars on youtube. People can't help themselves from reviewing and vlogging about every minute aspect of EV ownership.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

Ola posted:

Here's a wiki link to what's currently available but I'm not sure how helpful it will be. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_electric_cars_currently_available A useful think to check on Gen 1 Nissan Leafs is the battery health indicator next to the charge level.

I think youtube will be your friend. Where are you located, what's your approx budget and range reqs? Then you can get some brand suggestions and you can look up the cars on youtube. People can't help themselves from reviewing and vlogging about every minute aspect of EV ownership.

Thanks for the link and tip. I'm in Canada, near Toronto. Budget is 30-40k, range is bimodal. I'm either driving 30-40km or 500km along major highways. I'm definitely fine watching a bunch of youtube vids, got plenty of time.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ReaperUnreal posted:

Thanks for the link and tip. I'm in Canada, near Toronto. Budget is 30-40k, range is bimodal. I'm either driving 30-40km or 500km along major highways. I'm definitely fine watching a bunch of youtube vids, got plenty of time.

I haven't seen these so no idea if it's worth sitting through a few episodes but it looks like they should contain some info on fast charging coverage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX-hcFd0OLk

On that budget, I think you can aim for Kia e-Niro, Hyundai Kona or Ioniq (the new one) EVs, used. Search them up and see if the reviews look good. Here's one to start you off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1Xbj5RS0Yk

The Kona and e-Niro can do 500 km with one charging stop in ideal conditions, more likely two in total.

This site lets you plan charging trips so you can get a feel for charger availability and charging times. It says you'll need a single 45 minute charging stop to go from Toronto to Montreal in a Hyundai Kona 64 kWh:

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=3c9932ea-c404-4b92-8bd4-70f6cf67ee1a

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
The soul ev is available in canada too right? I think the niro/kona are a little over the top end of 40k in canada, and I've heard the availability is also somewhat questionable. The soul is closer to 40k and you might be able to get a dealer to let you get one for 40k. I haven't heard of someone getting >5k off a niro other than on previous model years or some weird dealer that just really wants to get rid of them, so you may have to see what dealers are selling 2019 niros/konas and 2020 souls for right now

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yah I see a lot of Soul EVs around in BC.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

if you are only doing 500km rarely, you can buy a much less expensive EV and rent a car for your long journeys, assuming they are planned.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
After about a nine month wait I finally got my electric Ioniq last week so now I'm proudly representing team electric. It is a sea of buttons - I'm upgrading 22 years of car in one go and there are entirely standard things like cruise control I've never had before left alone anything related to being an EV.

I'm loving how quiet it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you are only doing 500km rarely, you can buy a much less expensive EV and rent a car for your long journeys, assuming they are planned.

If you can charge fully at the other end and it takes 45 minutes of charging each way, you'll spend less time on charging than picking up and delivering back the rental, plus the money.