Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Why even use Sharla when you can use characters that aren't Sharla?
Sharla and Reyn's conversations are pretty cute so that's a good reason. Also chick with a giant gun is a cool concept, even if said giant gun is actually pretty stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

ajkalan posted:

loving love Dance Apples

Fire Apples, Hell Raspberries, and Sour Gooseberries, actually.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'll reiterate my stance from the commentary: Sharla is a fantastic story, but a severely lacking gameplay character.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Who the gently caress is Sharla? Are you all talking about Medic?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

RareAcumen posted:

How am I supposed to raise her affinity with everyone if I don't ever use her in battle?

Go around turning in quests with her, too

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
But if you don't use her in battle, then how can her rifle get hotter?

For real though, she is an excellent crutch for surviving and winning fights if you're not very good/ill prepared.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I did use Sharla a lot early on. great character... and while i was learning the combat system, it seemed good tp have a dedicated long-range medic.

but then i got Dunban.

and then every other subsequent character made it harder amd harder to justify ever using her. so it's a good thing she joins you early on! else i'd never had tried her in my party.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

nine-gear crow posted:

I'll reiterate my stance from the commentary: Sharla is a fantastic story, but a severely lacking gameplay character.

Yeah, I agree with this. Combat medic who shoots healing bullets is an extremely cool concept and Sharla is a cool person! But every time I had her in my party and tried to fire off a Chain Attack I just wondered... why do I have you in my party again? :sigh:

(It's because I was trying to get party Affinity up...)

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Sharla slows down the pace of battles to the point that you may be more accustomed to in RPGs: the tanks and fighters deal damage, while the white mage pokes every so often with physicals, buffs, maybe the errant attack magic spell--but mostly saving magic until attrition or a heavy-hitting attack wipes your HP. Then heal! Their time to shine!

Later on, however, enemies and bosses hit a phase at points in their life bar where, without careful damage mitigation, you will get stuck in a cycle of dying -> wasting party meter on reviving -> build up enough meter just to revive again -> die. The strategy that works the best across the vast majority of enemies is to chip down their health, then hit them with a chain attack when they start to rage and end the battle. Later on, you'll even be able to build enough meter within a chain attack to perform one again immediately after.

It's a damned shame, because, on paper, Sharla and Reyn complement each other in a party.

The far more interesting party members are ones we have yet to meet!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
The Bionis has swamp-rear end: CONFIRMED.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
It's funny the stuff that goes uncommented on by the game as far as enemies are concerned. The Ignas are the second monster class, after Turkins, who are clearly intelligent, use tools and have a community and a culture, and there's no lore or information about them whatsoever. They're just free to murder on sight.

What I'm saying is the game should have given you a Turkin party member. Those guys own.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Strange Matter posted:

It's funny the stuff that goes uncommented on by the game as far as enemies are concerned. The Ignas are the second monster class, after Turkins, who are clearly intelligent, use tools and have a community and a culture, and there's no lore or information about them whatsoever. They're just free to murder on sight.

What I'm saying is the game should have given you a Turkin party member. Those guys own.

Hey, there's a group of Tirkin chefs in XC2! ...That the party suspects of trying to poison people and beats up, despite them doing nothing wrong. And then a giant maid robot attacks.

XC2 is weird.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
If you can make weapons that can harm mechons by making weapons out of their corpses, that should have been tried a long time ago. It wouldn't have helped the homs at the start, but once Dunban killed a few with his Monado, they could have made some. Even if we assume the tech took time to develop, it would have to be discovered very recently to make sense since they didn't have mechon corpse weapons when colony nine was attacked, but now one exist.

Anyway, since the game checks the difference in agility rather than quotient, Dunban's +30% bonus becomes more and more powerful. If he has 100 agility, he gains +30% chance to evade enemies and with 200 agility, that bonus jumps up to +60%. Of course, the loss of gems becomes more and more painful as well.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Man that lizard boss took me ages to beat when I first came to the Marsh. Seeing you just chump him was cathartic. I was probably underlevelled for fighting him...

But anyway gently caress yeah Dunban!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Its cool that the game modeled naked Dunban's arm actually rotting away

Imagine how good he would play if he could use his good arm

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Its cool that the game modeled naked Dunban's arm actually rotting away

Imagine how good he would play if he could use his good arm

He'd climb twice as fast as any other character

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Strange Matter posted:

Genocide is a slippery slope. Once you decide it's OK to kill all the Mechon, it's pretty easy to convince yourself it's OK to slaughter just about every other non-Homs sentient race you meet as well.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

If they didn't want to be killed en masse they shouldn't have rare drops. :shrug:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
don't worry, Jobbo! I've gotcher back :hai:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sally posted:

Another Monado vision comes true! :aaa:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Xord aside, I don't feel like the Mechon are actually a race. They feel like the endless armies of robots Eggman makes or something, Metal Sonic aside, I mean the generic ones.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Sally posted:

:argh:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Blind Sally is my best friend.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Part of the Xenoblade experience is running up to the Daksha Shrine on your first visit to Gaur Plain, going up to the red shiny bit, and then screaming "Oh poo poo oh poo poo oh shiiiiiiiiiiiit" while you run from the giant spider. :allears: Or at least it was for me.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Silver Falcon posted:

Part of the Xenoblade experience is running up to the Daksha Shrine on your first visit to Gaur Plain, going up to the red shiny bit, and then screaming "Oh poo poo oh poo poo oh shiiiiiiiiiiiit" while you run from the giant spider. :allears: Or at least it was for me.

The definitive edition made them even more just uggghh. I haaaate the Xenoblade spiders so much.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Silver Falcon posted:

A classic moment, along with jackass caterpillar.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I always liked how Cheryl's son's knife is found by the pond. Yea he died but at least he died somewhere really pretty. :gbsmith:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Epicmissingno posted:

Hey, there's a group of Tirkin chefs in XC2! ...That the party suspects of trying to poison people and beats up, despite them doing nothing wrong. And then a giant maid robot attacks.

XC2 is weird.

XC3 will no doubt feature Tirkin bankers who the party thinks control the governments of all the Homs colonies.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I now have a Switch. And I now have a copy of XC:DE.

Goodbye, Free time. It was nice having you while you lasted.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm sorry, I can't tell who said it, but half of the request is being fulfilled now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFInbp6rPq0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6dmp8gfoaQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KTq_D3YI1o

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I learned so much about how to actually play that game just from Episode 1.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

What's funny is, if you had gone and beaten up those birds for Zazadan before he asked you, you wouldn't have gotten credit for it. :allears: Zazadan is great. All Nopon in the game are great.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
The question was asked how the Nopon are able to move anything with their stubby little bunny arms.

All those questions will be answered once we recruit the best character in the game.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

old grumpy guy finally called Sharla by her name instead of job

improvement!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Other things that the game never comments on: if the Nopon live above the Sororal Ruins, and you need to pass the Coming of Age Ceremony to gain access, how are so many of them reaching the lower Bionis?

Also the Bionis Interior music is, like the mines, another example of boring music that later on you hear far too much of. It's fittingly off-putting, but it's still dull as dishwater.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Strange Matter posted:

Other things that the game never comments on: if the Nopon live above the Sororal Ruins, and you need to pass the Coming of Age Ceremony to gain access, how are so many of them reaching the lower Bionis?

Also the Bionis Interior music is, like the mines, another example of boring music that later on you hear far too much of. It's fittingly off-putting, but it's still dull as dishwater.

The reprise of it later in the game is a much more interesting listen, for what it's worth :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Strange Matter posted:

Nopons as a whole have their poo poo together and know where all the elevators and passageways are. They're the undisputed kings of exploration and caravans. They hitch rides on flying creatures, too, if homs aren't actively making flying machines available.