Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFsDguI2sxM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sounds like the start of hot for teacher

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

And once again we're back to trains

very slow trains

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XomMUCoDzP8&t=343s

lol the boat I timestamped in this uses about 8000l of heavy fuel oil every hour

it boggles my mind that we've been able to run the world on oil for a century or so given how much we use every second

in fact
According to David O'Reilly the CEO of CHEVRON, the world currently consumes oil at a rate of about 40,000 US gallons per second. He says, "the scale of the energy system is enormous."Apr 26, 2010

and apparently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU0CjwPVfrw

thats about the same amount as the water in this video

the world is big mate

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
thank you yospos it seems the state of the art was about what I imagined

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

We have a Nissan Leaf which is a total shopping trolley but I really enjoy driving it, probably more so that my 2.5l twin turbo Mazda. Once you have driven electric with the smooth power curve and the high torque an ICE seems hopelessly clunky by comparison imo

I like cars but am terminally cheap. I’m hoping to get our mortgage paid off in the next 5 years or so and then I think we’ll buy a new or near-new Tesla or hopefully some better manufacturers BEV. I would love it if Mazda released a practical BEV with multi-hundred km range

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i would like an electric car some day. we rarely drive more than a few miles on any given day, so range would hardly ever be a concern.

what’s your charging setup for the leaf?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

bog standard 240v 10amp NZ domestic power into this thing:

It takes like 12 hours for a full charge or something but we never do that, it probably gets down to 50% charge on a busy day. It's also always plugged in when its in the garage so whenever you get in it has a full charge. What is the real worry is that there is no battery servicing capacity in NZ so if the battery starts fading over the next few years it could become pretty useless. There's a lot of used Japanese import Leafs on the road though so I suspect something will pop up

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thankfully we are a primary dumping ground for unwanted japanese autos, gently caress we dont know how lucky we are

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Gentle Autist posted:

What is the real worry is that there is no battery servicing capacity in NZ so if the battery starts fading over the next few years it could become pretty useless. There's a lot of used Japanese import Leafs on the road though so I suspect something will pop up

fortunately it's looking like EVs, even teslas, have pretty good temp & capacity control and are getting really good lifetimes out of the batteries. you're still screwed if it ends up defective but barring that you should be fine

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
teslas have (and have had) better cooling than the older leafs. iirc the leaf was air-cooled only for quite a while and the range degradation is pretty noticeable after a few years

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Gentle Autist posted:

I like cars but am terminally cheap.

I think we’ll buy a new or near-new Tesla

:thunk:

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Almost every American posted:

Not me, I'm the main character

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
leafs have been air cooled for billion plus years and nissan thought the issue was settled but morons ! it’s a different kind of leaf altogether

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

infernal machines posted:

teslas have (and have had) better cooling than the older leafs. iirc the leaf was air-cooled only for quite a while and the range degradation is pretty noticeable after a few years

are teslas okay now? my aforementioned family member was planning on buying one and all i could say was nooooo, get a nissan or a vw instead

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
do other cars risk trapping you inside if power is lost?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
no, they're still built terribly, from shoddy parts, in a tent.

they do have active battery cooling though. it's also hosed on the latest model 3s and the model y, but it's not blowing a fan at the battery and thinking cold thoughts like the leaf was

both the nissan and the vw would still be much better choices, being built by actual car companies, out of actual car parts, and having features like working door handles

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 5, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

crepeface posted:

are teslas okay now?
no

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

echinopsis posted:

leafs have been air cooled for billion plus years and nissan thought the issue was settled but morons ! it’s a different kind of leaf altogether

air cooled is best

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

more like “they’re fooled.”

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
ok good, I will continue to harangue him until he promises not to buy a tesla

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

The Management posted:

air cooled is best

post it :getin:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

either way probably a good plan to wait to give the id.4 a look and drive before making any choices, seems a very solid take and will still get the tax break in the us afaik.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

they’re not ready for it

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
lomarf

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
congrats to elon musk

https://twitter.com/business/status/1347204572297703427?s=20

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
could there BE any more botox in his face?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it makes sense, considering tesla makes money right?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
not really. it sells carbon offsets to other manufacturers, which are phasing out this year. it 'saves' on warranty costs by disguising them as goodwill. it routinely defaults on smalltime contracts.

it's all about hyping up the next big thing and hoping ppl don't care about the broken promises from years ago.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
yeah somebody pointed out that Toyota sells like 20 times as many cars and has over 10 times the profit, yet is valued less by Wall Street

Wall Street loves tech companies, and Tesla is a tech co first and car company second (which is why their cars suck)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

tesla is currently worth more than every other car manufacturer on the planet combined and it makes 450,000 cars a year while everyone else combined makes 92,000,000.

the stock market is meaningless, everything on it is speculation, and we're currently in the "pump" phase of the nation's biggest pump-and-dump

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Doc Block posted:

yeah somebody pointed out that Toyota sells like 20 times as many cars and has over 10 times the profit, yet is valued less by Wall Street

Wall Street loves tech companies, and Tesla is a tech co first and car company second (which is why their cars suck)

wall street is emphatically not behind tesla at all. there are a few west coast funds plus one dude at morgan stanley who are in to them but all the intelligent folks won't touch it with a ten foot pole. it's all weirdos like masa and wallstreetbets and now index funds.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

wall street is emphatically not behind tesla at all. there are a few west coast funds plus one dude at morgan stanley who are in to them but all the intelligent folks won't touch it with a ten foot pole. it's all weirdos like masa and wallstreetbets and now index funds.

it has big disco-stu-enron-chart-1999-2000.gif energy and i just want it to tank soon since the book will be a popcorn thriller of financial malfeasance

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

can toyota and mazda and ford please start making good bevs plz

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sorry lol it was sarcasm

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gentle Autist posted:

bevvies?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Gentle Autist posted:

all signs are pointing to the mach e being pretty good. shame that it looks like a mustang that really let itself go

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

battery electric vehicle, as opposed to a hybrid.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i call bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Midjack posted:

battery electric vehicle, as opposed to a hybrid.

aka coal-powered cars with _really_ long tailpipes :salt: