Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Head to Youtube for any gameplay questions and you will become and expert in 2 hours really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Perestroika posted:

I particularly enjoy the times when our squad leader is gossiping with the rest of the squad about the angry drama in leader chat whenever the round is going poorly :allears:

just some really chill brit talking about how he "wants to shield us from the real toxic poo poo happening in squad leader chat" while we're crawling up a hill under fire.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Der Waffle Mous posted:

just some really chill brit talking about how he "wants to shield us from the real toxic poo poo happening in squad leader chat" while we're crawling up a hill under fire.

That man is a real hero because SL chat is and always will be a cesspool. There's a reason why it takes so long to make squads at the start of the game, it's a brinksmanship game of who has to deal with it

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The worst part about the start is people making squads and then leaving when the squad fills up.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
e: ^ yeah that poo poo should earn you a ban

rt4 posted:

Don't worry, killing enemies counts for very little compared to building stuff or just hanging out in a contested sector

The last full round I played as a medic I got 0 kills, 20+ revives, and even more bandages while holding capture zones and had way more points than almost anyone else on the team. "Not everyone's job is to shoot people" is solid advice for this game.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

ghosthorse posted:

you can put "HLLJK" into the tiny search bar on the top right of the server browser and that found it for me (not being a jerk I seriously didn't see the search bar for the longest time). then I added it to my favourites for when I finally get time to play again hopefully

no its all good, i tried searching but as someone else pointed out its usually empty so wasn't showing up

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

CuddleCryptid posted:

That man is a real hero because SL chat is and always will be a cesspool. There's a reason why it takes so long to make squads at the start of the game, it's a brinksmanship game of who has to deal with it

what, starting a squad, waiting until someone joins, leaving and then rejoining so some other poor bastard has to do it is not ok?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I like being SL because you get to actually dictate how a battle plays out. I aggressively place my OPs in order to get back into the action quicker and flank the enemy. So many SLs just place an OP down and run endlessly into the meat grinder. That and never throw smokes. A single well clicking squad can absolutely turn the tide of a capture point.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
I often become squad lead out of necessity. It can be a lot of fun. Especially if you are defense and your squad is the only thing between winning and losing.

I feel like defense in this game is super underrated. Most people just sit on the point. I like taking the squad out and patrolling around trying to find attacking enemy squads.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I have to say since the 1.0 release finding squads and teams that communicate effectively is much harder. It'll probably settle down again but right now there are a ton of people just blindly rushing into meat grinders even on the servers that used to be good.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Instead of respawn timers it should force you to bleed out. I’m just tryna medic you buddy stop disappearing on me

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
One important thing I learned recently is that every sector on the map that contains any part of a strongpoint contributes to capturing. Being inside the strongpoint counts for double, but you don't have to be inside if it's too dangerous.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, the sector capture is four squares around the point in warfare and the strongpoint is 3x the sector cap weight.

edit: okay, maybe just 2x like you said now that I look.

Also to add content, support gets to see recon now which I think is a nice bonus for that role.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 9, 2021

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

George H.W. oval office posted:

I like being SL because you get to actually dictate how a battle plays out. I aggressively place my OPs in order to get back into the action quicker and flank the enemy. So many SLs just place an OP down and run endlessly into the meat grinder. That and never throw smokes. A single well clicking squad can absolutely turn the tide of a capture point.

Yeah plus you get more info in general from access to other squad pings and recon planes. Command chat can be toxic but often it's p chill. I've ended up with the majority of time so far as SL just from needing an infantry slot lol

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

Cimber posted:

what, starting a squad, waiting until someone joins, leaving and then rejoining so some other poor bastard has to do it is not ok?

It wouldn't be so bad if they put a mechanic in that says "sl left, vote yes to insta switch to the sl role" instead of you having to notice they did it and then respawn.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I definitely shop around for a squad if I am too lazy to be SL and I recommend it. No point in wasting your time if you join a squad, say "hi" and get silence.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

ghosthorse posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if they put a mechanic in that says "sl left, vote yes to insta switch to the sl role" instead of you having to notice they did it and then respawn.

yep agreed, it doesn't happen terribly often i find but running around for 5 minutes not realizing there is no SL is a big problem

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Rusty posted:

Also to add content, support gets to see recon now which I think is a nice bonus for that role.

Holy poo poo, that makes so much sense since they're the ones with the radio packs.

Support has always felt kinda under defined instead of just being a supply drop mechanic, which that in itself is very important, they never felt like they have an active tactical role, being able to also see map markers and recon makes so much sense and yeah its only kinda a small addition, I do hope they continue fleshing out and defining roles

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
a very good tank match on stalingrad by karmakut, well made (animated maps to cut down on driving footage) and good communication between the tank squads to team up and hunt german tanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKst00jE1T8

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Tip for all the Commanders out there; being inside a objective circle counts as a full 6 man squad, and can be very usefull to break a stalemate.

Also, I like being commander over squad leader because you usually have less people to deal with on voice comms.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

My third match I decided to be a SL since no one else was making squads at the beginning of the match. Everyone was very supportive when I'd inform them I was new and didn't realize certain things, and also I made sure to push things up the chain when I squad reported or requested it and volunteered my guys for tasks from command if I couldn't think of what we should be doing at that moment.

Also I was very very aggressive with my OPs and communicating intent and whatnot. I really like being SL and think that may be my go-to role. :>

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I don't like squad lead as I prefer just to take orders, but SLs drop so much I end up always taking over and thus have maxed out the class.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I'm having fun blasting off artillery all alone. Which is also making my SL class level up because I just make one for myself.

But I tried using a few different calculator things online, but they seem wrong? Did they recently change something about artillery? I've been going on the ingame chart and it works, but online will say something like elevation 775 for a 1100m shot even though the gun physically stops at 800.

Also, anyone know how long the shots take to land? I’m constantly checking my killcount to see if I hit anyone, and most of the time it’s within seconds but then some times I’ll get “YOU KILLED A FRIENDLY” when I haven’t shot in 30 seconds.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 10, 2021

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The only thing they changed about artillery is that it has a 2m-20m dispersion, which I guess means it is a bit less accurate now. Also the artilary has flight time, not sure what it is, but the closer you are the faster it lands, it can take a long time across the map.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Russian artillery is different from the others as well.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Fascists bomb stuff like THIS, but Communists bomb stuff like THIS

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
We entered as 4 friends, decided to switch things a bit: a Recon + Armor on arty. IT WAS AMAZING! Recon spotted us juicy targets and we blasted them, and screened our advances with smoke. Of course we didn't have a commander and lost 0-5...

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

drunken officeparty posted:

I'm having fun blasting off artillery all alone. Which is also making my SL class level up because I just make one for myself.

But I tried using a few different calculator things online, but they seem wrong? Did they recently change something about artillery? I've been going on the ingame chart and it works, but online will say something like elevation 775 for a 1100m shot even though the gun physically stops at 800.

Also, anyone know how long the shots take to land? I’m constantly checking my killcount to see if I hit anyone, and most of the time it’s within seconds but then some times I’ll get “YOU KILLED A FRIENDLY” when I haven’t shot in 30 seconds.

I think in that game guide it says arty takes 24 seconds to splash regardless of distance

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Rusty posted:

The only thing they changed about artillery is that it has a 2m-20m dispersion, which I guess means it is a bit less accurate now. Also the artilary has flight time, not sure what it is, but the closer you are the faster it lands, it can take a long time across the map.

They also made artillery slower, so it can take a lot longer to reposition for different targets. If I am the only one running the guns, I like to setup the different guns on different objectives so I can just hop back and forth.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So been mainlining this for a few days now since the new patch dropped

Last time I had played was probably like 1-2-3 years ago when it first came into closed beta, whenever that was

Gotta say it scratches an itch, but the frustration levels can very quickly rise.... namely as mentioned the spawn, ding headshot from nowhere, wait for spawn again - cycle.

The ability for people to find nearly invisible spots to hide is just astounding, I've managed to find maybe 1 spot like that in the last 50 games, otherwise I am always instantly spotted.

When you find a good squad that talks and can spot poo poo, it is game changing though

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

just had an amazing game that went from "oh my squad leader left and no one else wants the position" to leading my squad on the final attack point through blood, bullets, and explosions in the last minute of the game and winning during the overtime

it was insane and i had to take a break afterwards to process it

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I played a game on TL the line server where no one wanted to SL, so there were 5 squads with no SL, no one made any garrisons and we lost the second to last point before anyone could spawn and lost the game five minutes later. I think the first time I have ever seen the second to last point taken without a single person even close to it a couple minutes in to the game.

Edit: The game after that, we capped the middle point with 6 seconds left, closest game I have ever been in right after the worst blowout I have ever been in

Rusty fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 11, 2021

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Blue On Blue posted:

The ability for people to find nearly invisible spots to hide is just astounding, I've managed to find maybe 1 spot like that in the last 50 games, otherwise I am always instantly spotted.

If there is one thing I learned from so many hours in Red Orchestra it was that every player's vision is based on movement. Unfortunately someone defending a position gets a big advantage, especially on wide open, relatively flat maps like Stalingrad

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

If there is one thing I learned from so many hours in Red Orchestra it was that every player's vision is based on movement. Unfortunately someone defending a position gets a big advantage, especially on wide open, relatively flat maps like Stalingrad

oh ya agreed completely, but i find on maps like Kursk for instance the Russians have a massive advantage because the map is brown and they're basically little blobs of brown blending in

that and the PPSH is apparently the worst balanced gun in the game aside from the thompson (i say this never having used the ppsh, but have gotten killed from its 50000 round magazine plenty of times, you think he needs to reload? nope still another burst in there)

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah, a couple rounds ago I made a point of just hurrying into cover and staying put for a minute or two or when enemies were around. It works remarkably well even with mediocre cover/concealment (e.g behind a rock or tree stump), at times enemies were walking right past me.

As a rule of thumb, you should only move in a firefight if:
- you know the area you're moving through is safe (e.g. friendlies moving through, smoke deployed) and you can get to a better/closer piece of cover that way
- you have a pretty solid fix on a specific enemy position and are moving to flank
- you are actively clearing a contained/covered area of enemies (e.g. trench network, building complex)

It really takes some adjustment considering how in so many other shooters you can often push opponents directly and stand a good chance of winning, but HLL really does favour the defending/stationary player to a huge degree.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, a couple rounds ago I made a point of just hurrying into cover and staying put for a minute or two or when enemies were around. It works remarkably well even with mediocre cover/concealment (e.g behind a rock or tree stump), at times enemies were walking right past me.

As a rule of thumb, you should only move in a firefight if:
- you know the area you're moving through is safe (e.g. friendlies moving through, smoke deployed) and you can get to a better/closer piece of cover that way
- you have a pretty solid fix on a specific enemy position and are moving to flank
- you are actively clearing a contained/covered area of enemies (e.g. trench network, building complex)

It really takes some adjustment considering how in so many other shooters you can often push opponents directly and stand a good chance of winning, but HLL really does favour the defending/stationary player to a huge degree.

I think the issue is that rounds are directly time based; you have X amount of time to push the objectives before the round ends instead of just going until one side wins.

This is good in that it invites aggressive attacks but the game itself is way more geared to slowly advance instead of directly attack.

I wonder if they'll ever give a timeless mode conquest but I think that would affect xp mechanics and might be completely opposite of what they want the game to be.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

It’s an interesting choice to completely do away with any sort of penalty to dying / meat grinder mode aside from having to respawn yourself each time

Dying doesn’t lessen the time to play for the team and doesn’t take away from some invisible pool of bodies

What it means is nearing the end of the match you’ll see huge pushes with bodies dropping left and right while explosions go off everywhere. Basically the best WWII movie on show each time the game is close to being won

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Perestroika posted:

Yeah if there is one hard truth about concealment in HLL it's that wheat fields hide you half as well as you think they would and bushes are basically Predator reactive camouflage.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

just had a spectacular game, where our entire squad was communicating constantly

we ended up being stuck on defense for the whole match, but had the place so locked down the enemy only tried to attack it a handful of times, we fended them off quickly and managed to kill 3 tanks during the course of the defense

the rest of our time was spent following enemy supply drops behind our lines to hunt and kill enemy units preparing to entrench our back areas

finally the last 10 minutes of the round i said to the SL, hey ask Command if we can move to attack since we've successfully defended this area the whole map, and the other squads weren't able to get any foot hold on an attack

so we switch to attack and manage to squeeze out a cap, beating out the enemy's cap timer of the defense we just left... phew.

then we only had to easily hold them off for 4 minutes and at the end of the round our entire team was shooting into the air in victory.

I'll probably put the game down for 24 hours now since it will be very hard to top that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Still very much in the learning phase of the game/maps, but I'm slowly starting to get it. Played Hill 400 as a medic and belly crawling back and forth under heavy fire to keep the squad alive and holding on to a point was pretty awesome.