Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

As the DIE vanished back into history, Cassie finally allowed her song to trail off. The activation runs on her DynaVoulge obediently faded to darkness as the Command Song came to an end. At last, Cassie allowed herself to weep. So many lives lost, the world shattered and flooded, and for what? There was no real victory here, only a resetting of the clock. The Hexen had to win every single time or else face the extermination of all human life. The DIE only needed to win once. The awful futility of it all weighed heavier on the last Guardian of the Song than her Brikk Armor. And she was the last, for the Temple of the Song was no more, the ancient haven destroyed by the DIE's spiteful raising of mountains right through it.

Eventually she ran out of tears, and stood back up. She still had a duty to the people of the future. A new Temple of the Song would need to be founded and new Guardians trained. The lessons of her battle needed to be recorded, both in written records and as an oral tradition. Perhaps she would have them inscribed on the walls of the new Temple as well.

"Venture not too close to the DIE, for it can shatter the world and consume those nearest it in fire. Thus perished Fred Needle, a mighty Hexen."

"Fear the waters, for the DIE can drown the world. This was the end of Rachel Pippins, a clever Hexen."

"Neglect not your Brikk Armor, for the DIE's sheer mass is one of it's greatest weapons. It will crush any who stands before it not clad in Brikk with it's body alone. This was the fate of Nobeard, Stebhen Ervin, and Ned Freedle, courageous Hexen all."

"Ware those who wield the Tekken Boards, the DIE can subvert these ancient weapons to its own purposes and make them lash out at other Hexen nearby. Thus fell Icaru Santeria, Mad Jack, Jenny the Kid, and Jade Baddol, worthy Hexen struck down by their allies."

There were other lessons, of course. Warnings about how quickly the DIE could move, the range of it's energy darts, the value of finding those Hexen with TrakkSledges to help move in pursuit of the monster. But the most important ones, she felt, were the ones that Hexen had died to learn, and those received pride of place. But would it matter? Surely the previous Guardian to face the DIE had experienced similar terrors, and only the Command Song had survived from that woman's era to Cassie's own.

Those fears and doubts never entirely left Cassandra as she devoted the rest of her life to ensuring that when the next DIE appeared, there would be a Guardian of the Song to meet it.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Garvin Valestein

Garvin was, as always, a practical person. And so, when time came to organize, to heal, and to restore, Garvin helped the cities pull together. There was a time for grief, but this was a time for action.

Garvin began work on using the water to turn the deserts-untouched by the rage of the DIE-into a more fertile land. He began noticing that the slopes of the volcanic mountains were fertile and lush, and would make good farming land, especially for grapes.

In history, Garvin would go down as not just a brave fighter, but also a wise civil administrator and mayor of New Bellwood.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Thanks for playing ladies, gentlemen, lady-gentlemen and gentlemen-ladies! I enjoyed it, despite being a quicker little minigame than anticipated! I hope to run it again at some point, but until then thanks for filling this world with flavour and light and pleasantly dying for the cause!

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Sleve McDichael
Hit Points: 1/2
Weapon: DynaVoulge (loaded)
Artifacts: HookFoot & TrakSledge - Ignore Mountain movement penalties, +2 Move, and Drag adjacent allies

Sleve McDichael had been in Tumblebones when the D.I.E. flooded the continent. He hadn't personally witnessed the seas suddenly engulfing the forests and grasslands, leaving only deserts, mountains, and flooded cities behind. He listened to the news of the catastrophe while he prepared his DynaVoulge for one last attack against the D.I.E. The thing was surely almost dead by now.

Just as Sleve was committing his TrailBlazR to a road test around the outskirts of Tumblebones, the D.I.E. made a terrible keening noise from the northwest and then just as suddenly it was upon him. The D.I.E. had teleported to the area and smashed the whole city of Tumblebones flat.

Despite being majorly banged up from the D.I.E.'s trampling of the area, Sleve managed to mount a charge at the D.I.E. with his TrakSledge-mounted DynaVoulge, but just as he drew near the gargantuan monster's crackling hide, the D.I.E. teleported itself again, vanishing entirely from the region and reappearing in the middle of Confluxx, whereupon it reportedly stopped moving and died, crushing everything below it.

Despite the D.I.E.'s defeat, Sleve's artifact machinery was still functional; he was alive and with a powerful weapon to boot. Sleve McDichael returned to Tumblebones and tried to make it a better place. Sleve knew that he and his TrailBlazR would be needed in the times to come.

There was no choice but to start over with whatever they had remaining... they had what, another thousand years? Not long enough, if you asked Sleve.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
The DIE has returned, at long last.

Also I started a new job that actually requires me to do actual work so updates won't be as ridiculously fast but still excited to try to squish you all again yaaaay