Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Control Volume posted:

One thing this game barely explains at all is that after getting hit, for 4.5s all damage you do heals you, even takedown damage, even dog damage. Probably grenade damage but I havent tested it. So even at low health, your best bet for healing is usually taking a hit then spraying down three guys

At first I thought it only recovered an amount proportional to what the hit took, but no, you can definitely recover like all your health from a minor hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm only playing on Normal but the enemy damage/health gain is balanced really well, where if you never stop connecting bullets to your targets you will virtually never die and can just absorb all of their fire. It's a cool mechanic!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah once I learned the game punishes losing momentum more than getting hit, I started becoming a ninja flying around the arena. In a weird twist, I use my guns for short- and mid-range, and takedowns are for when I zip across the arena to knife some poor isolated rear end in a top hat

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Control Volume posted:

takedowns are for when I zip across the arena to knife some poor isolated rear end in a top hat

Oh you mean like

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Morter posted:

Oh you mean like

It feels exactly like this

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Morter posted:

Oh you mean like

Thats one hell of a backstab.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
They obviously took all the gunsound criticism to heart, but the rest of the sound design is still pretty amateur. Like, you're in a gargantuan foundy that's hardly making a peep, basic stuff like elevator, melee and footsteps sound awful. It's not something that matters much when you're fighting, more when you're between it. That said, the gameplay itself already seems fun and is miles ahead of Space Hulk's, and of course the environments are spot on. I do think they should have foregone the call of the looter shooter though, specifically all the coloured loot, but kept the weapon attachment and cosmetic upgrades. As is, I don't want to buy a new sight for my autogun if I'm just going to throw it in the trash when I get a plust two autogun. Or does that stuff apply to every weapon of the same type? Also not quite sure what I should be keeping and what I should be selling at the end of a level.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I just keep anything that looks interesting to try and toss it next mission if I dont like it

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I am decidedly not a fan of genestealers :mad:

Edit: Oops, I mean I am decidedly not a fan of my neighbor Gene Stealers. Sorry for the typo everyone. I'm not even sure what a "genestealer" is, haha.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 1, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Well the game is downloading as we speak and I'll play it some after work. I am a little concerned because I can get bored with arena shooters pretty quickly, having tons of enemies spawn constantly just gets old, hopefully the rest of the world and the gameplay itself is enough to keep me wanting more

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWK0nWBEHgI

Made a video screwing around in a side mission, I dont claim to be the best but I do claim to be better than these other clowns making videos

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Just enjoy game. Shoot enemy, pet dog, play E.Y.E :shrug:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
This game loving rules. I've just completed the second mission and the sense of scale is superb. They have done 40k justice. The game is giving me plenty of dakka and I am cool with that. And the customisation is right up my alley.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I think the Combat Shotgun is bugged and does no damage. I can literally unload multiple full mags from it into an enemy's face and not kill them or even take down their shield. It says it does 60 damage - my Heavy Bolter that does 74 damage tears through everything in just a few shots. It's not from elements because they both have the same element on them.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I used to roll with a Combat Shotgun and it was alright, though the standard Shotgun ultimately was more reliable for me. Can't say I was experiencing that bug, though who knows with this game.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The bolter absolutely rules, I love this game lol

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Mordja posted:

They obviously took all the gunsound criticism to heart, but the rest of the sound design is still pretty amateur. Like, you're in a gargantuan foundy that's hardly making a peep, basic stuff like elevator, melee and footsteps sound awful. It's not something that matters much when you're fighting, more when you're between it. That said, the gameplay itself already seems fun and is miles ahead of Space Hulk's, and of course the environments are spot on. I do think they should have foregone the call of the looter shooter though, specifically all the coloured loot, but kept the weapon attachment and cosmetic upgrades. As is, I don't want to buy a new sight for my autogun if I'm just going to throw it in the trash when I get a plust two autogun. Or does that stuff apply to every weapon of the same type? Also not quite sure what I should be keeping and what I should be selling at the end of a level.

its pretty annoying at first but its really just the tiny vestiges of looter shooter mechanics. once youre like three missions in the game will be throwing so much money at you that you won't care about wasted upgrades

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The level design is so much better than Deathwings, I haven’t been hopelessly lost once.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The game stops giving you new guns after the third mission's new guns (at least so far - I'm 8 missions in), there are only 3 rarities (blue/purple/yellow), and I've been getting about 1 yellow weapon per mission so it's not going to take all that long to get gear that won't be replaced.

I'm not engaged w/ the attachment or loot system at all and have been literally ignoring weapon modding and the non-gun loot and the game is still very easy, so if you don't like it just ignore it.

I don't like the way the energy weapons feel, despite doing huge damage they just feel wimpy. But all the ballistic weapons sound and feel great

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Bought this. I am incredibly bad with mouse and keyboard, like laughably terrible, but am having a ton of fun with this. Those brief moments when I don't have dumb fingers and I chain wall run -> air dash -> 180 slide -> more wall running makes my brain produce a lot of the feel good juice.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm not engaged w/ the attachment or loot system at all and have been literally ignoring weapon modding and the non-gun loot and the game is still very easy, so if you don't like it just ignore it.

I will say if you dont ignore it, you can do things like turn a sawn-off shotgun into a sniper rifle and two-tap ogryns. This game really wants you using overpowered guns.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Right, from my Hard game so far, I can definitely say the best weapons, in my experience with my playstyle of constantly running and dash and jumping everywhere, are (spoilers):

Primaries/Basics: (non-Combat) Shotguns and Bolters, of which can be specced into good hipfire accuracy, which is great because ADS sucks when you're meant to be zipping around constantly to dodge the bullshit level of damage enemies can inflict on you.

Pistols: Sawed-off Shotgun, which honestly is the only good one of them since you can turn it into what feels like the hardest hitting weapon per shot in the game with slug rounds and a magnetic barrel. I keep a damage-specced Bolt Pistol for the aimbot power.

Heavies: The Stub Guns can be specced into something that can reasonably hit poo poo with hipfire, thankfully. The Heavy Bolter is a disappointment because the recoil is absolutely ridiculous.

Special: Both the Gravgun and the Grenade Launcher are broken and OP, so much so that I actually dropped in kill style ranking due to how powerful they are. That said, getting swarmed by mooks is a pain and having them handy is great for rushes.

Everything else has kinda been middling or outright bad, with the plasma weapons in particular being notably trash.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 2, 2021

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i've been getting great results on hard with the gun thats just a space AK. you can just spray the entire clip with decent damage and no recoil while you run around

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Is the sawn-off the only shotgun with special ammo? The only weapon with it, in fact?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Mordja posted:

Is the sawn-off the only shotgun with special ammo? The only weapon with it, in fact?

No, you can also get Even Bigger Explosions with the grenade launcher

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
That ammo variant for the grenade launcher results in hilariously massive explosions. I ended up switching to the proximity mine ammo so I would stop hitting myself and not break the game in half.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Its completely horrible because of that, but that wont stop me from using it

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Argh, I'm one chest away from all the chests in Kolloss 44. drat level is so big.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The ogryns look so goofy lol

Most of the time they just stand there and fling burning poo poo at me too. It’s so un-ogryn like

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Got the bastard. List of chests in Kolloss 44 in case you guys want it (spoilers):

1. Grey container on the middle of the tracks where you start.
2. Top of the building where you break into at the start.
3. Rear of the first train car you get in.
4. Top of the second train car. Use elevators on the sides or grapple.
5. Rear of the top of the train car you emerge from when you get topside.
6. Slide on top of some sidevents inside a building separating two cars in the topside section.
7. In a small nook once you clear the main prison area, before the arena where you free the prisoner.
8. Turn around and climb some stairs once you get down from freeing the prisoner.
9. Bottom section of the final train car, in between the lower flange thingies and before the tunnel leading topside.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

toasterwarrior posted:

Got the bastard. List of chests in Kolloss 44 in case you guys want it (spoilers):

1. Grey container on the middle of the tracks where you start.
2. Top of the building where you break into at the start.
3. Rear of the first train car you get in.
4. Top of the second train car. Use elevators on the sides or grapple.
5. Rear of the top of the train car you emerge from when you get topside.
6. Slide on top of some sidevents inside a building separating two cars in the topside section.
7. In a small nook once you clear the main prison area, before the arena where you free the prisoner.
8. Turn around and climb some stairs once you get down from freeing the prisoner.
9. Bottom section of the final train car, in between the lower flange thingies and before the tunnel leading topside.

I want it and thanks!

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

well poo poo... showstopping bug on level 8 or 9 the one where you go up to orlok cargo transit to find some cargo

the interaction doesn't work and you can't proceed without it, tried restarting. there is a co-ordinate crane picking mini game and it doesnt matter which coord you input it goes to the same, wrong container and fails

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I think I'm just really bad at exploring because I find like 1-2 chests / mission and miss everything else

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Collapsing Farts posted:

I think I'm just really bad at exploring because I find like 1-2 chests / mission and miss everything else

Yeah that's me as well. I'm the person who tries and still needs the "look over here dumbo" guide because I didn't look behind [obvious thing in retrospect].

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I was the same and only found two chest the first level despite really searching around. I notched it up to not having a full grasp of how creative you can get with the movement mechanics yet, and I figured the levels were just intended to be replayed or returned to later with new powers. It sure seems like the game has way too many terminals which only serve the purpose of restarting the level to accumulate more credits.

It sounds like it might better to play it on a medium difficulty the first time if you don't want to grind too much for upgrades for you and your dog. I'm doing okay just moving on through the story on hard, but the game throws enemies at you in multi level Borderlands swarm arenas, which means getting a lot of gunfire damage really quick if you aren't chain melee murdering everyone for extra health.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The sucky thing is that melee takedowns in this game are incredibly janky and ugly-looking, and I go out of my way to not do them as much as possible. Like the dark mirror of nu-Doom glory kills.

The Ogryns look like garbage yeah but holy poo poo the melee takedowns

vvv: :okboomer:

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jun 2, 2021

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

who gives a poo poo the game rules dork

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
No romance options and a distinct lack of cooking & food service mini games. Zero out of ten.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
Game good, but I have issues. The games player damage feed back is loving awful. This is also on me but the game has a much harder “dance” then doom because the baddies have COD ai and the game kinda wants you to play like it’s titanfall but also doom and those clash a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I spent all my money on a bolter but it seems almost impossible to keep it fed, unlike my autogun which it was impossible to run out of ammo for.