Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Got some time to another run and yeah, figured out the armored company playstyle. Once I got my halftracks coming in (they do everything! seriously, 75mm for both arty and AT work, quad .50cals, ambulance for reinforcement and healing, get them boys in there), it all gelled together. Game plays well enough for me to get it on release, that Italy campaign is going to be fun. Would rather vehicles not be so zippy though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

MikeC posted:

That's always been the case though, even in CoH 1. I definitely recall driving circles in my Panzer 4 around unsupported AT guns many times in ladder play. The counter is to make sure you have backup infantry to toss AT grenades and to get mobility hits so the AT gun can do its job. There is no way opposing infantry can cross the open under fire and flank your dudes and still win the trade unless your infantry isn't on the same tier or they are using end-game infantry with submachine guns and you still have basic dudes with no weapon upgrades. CoH 1 had this problem too with US ranger blob and PE Assault Gren blobbing being big parts of the meta. You needed machine guns to provide suppression. The series has always been about interlocking units.

It is likely you have some rose-colored glasses.

Yeah tanks have always been able to take out AT guns that aren't set up in ways that block tank movement or give them larger LOS. You can manage it a bit more by microing the gun to turn the firing arc to cover where the tank is trying to move to, but if they are already point blank you're hosed.

That's part of the reason why you want to have them hanging back behind the firing line. Most tanks take three shots or so to kill, more if they are heavier, but the AT gun's range is a lot longer than its view. So you screen with infantry in the front to mark the tanks and give the AT gun time to fire, even if the tank tries to dive the gun.

If anything the increase in midrange armor has buffed AT since there isn't a sharp divide between Infantry and Tank anymore, with so many half tracks and armored cars as part of the trees.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have played CoH 1 more recently than CoH 2 because I like it more, I dunno what to say, it just feels worse in every way to CoH 1, and they've also maintained the unpleasant cartoony look from CoH 2 as well which doesn't help.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Are mines, trenches, barbed wire, dragon's teeth and all that back? CoH2's biggest drawback, to me, was the dearth of little gardening tools that your infantry had in the first one. I loved landscaping the battlefield before things turned violent.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No trenches as far as I can tell but you can drop wire, tank obstacles, sandbags and mines. The normal german force also gets access to concrete bunkers and "fighting positions" which are basically a wooden bunker and some of them can be constructed by their grenadiers. The bunkers severely restrict their already rather poor firepower though.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

THE BAR posted:

Are mines, trenches, barbed wire, dragon's teeth and all that back? CoH2's biggest drawback, to me, was the dearth of little gardening tools that your infantry had in the first one. I loved landscaping the battlefield before things turned violent.

Yes to wire, mines, tank traps, etc, no to trenches. With the buff to fire from houses and such they probably thought it would be too much. But overall yes, and a lot of units can place them.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

LordArgh posted:

From the streams I looked at for this game, it seems like the point of view is too close to the ground. Also the UI seems to occupy an unnecessary amount of screen space. Is it like this because they're apparently releasing a console version?

I actually watched a console preview video and the console UI is better. It covers much less screen space

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55BcDSA3-UY

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

OwlFancier posted:

No trenches as far as I can tell but you can drop wire, tank obstacles, sandbags and mines. The normal german force also gets access to concrete bunkers and "fighting positions" which are basically a wooden bunker and some of them can be constructed by their grenadiers. The bunkers severely restrict their already rather poor firepower though.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yes to wire, mines, tank traps, etc, no to trenches. With the buff to fire from houses and such they probably thought it would be too much. But overall yes, and a lot of units can place them.

While I love trenches, the lack of can be mitigated with some good city maps, yeah. Doesn't sound bad at all.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

It took a few matches for me to adjust to the interface after years of CoH 2, but once it clicked the game really grabbed me. I appreciate the larger army rosters, which always seem to give you a lot of options without making every faction feel identical.

I had a great match as Axis where our central entrenchments were under constant bombardment by mortars and the midpoint was completely locked down by enemy MGs and AT. I managed to keep just enough alive for just long enough that we teched up and rolled out a combination of armor and heavy artillery that broke through and shattered the enemy over the course of just a couple pushes. It was nice to have a few more choices for methods to dislodge the enemy, like I could really think through which one would work best instead of being stuck with my faction's one artillery choice or whatever.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'm just glad I'm finally playing a CoH game where I don't feel like I'm hamstringing myself by playing Allies. I almost exclusively stuck with them because they tended to have lower queues and, yknow, the other side is loving nazis, but they were definitely the more technical and touchy of the two sides. Now I'm actually liking the *British* of all things the most, even with the option of playing German, because they feel powerful and dynamic.

No more "spam squads with SMGs to push you off the point unless you make tons of HMGs specifically to prevent that" or "gently caress they got a halftrack out and my AT gun keeps getting flanked". Pew pew AT rifles that take the halftrack out before the squad even gets suppressed for the cost of a couple grenades. On CoH2 you could get man portable AT but it took way longer than their vehicles, and if you took that instead of anti infantry and they went through SMG squad route it was a huge waste of resources.

Anyways I put in one real bug report for an obscure issue (vickers can't reinforce at commando company call in first aid station, how do you expect me to replicate that Relic) so I'm doing my part.

E. Rip Tech Test, see you in five weeks.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 16, 2023

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Captain Beans posted:

I actually watched a console preview video and the console UI is better. It covers much less screen space

wtf lol

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Captain Beans posted:

I got 2:30 in and the thought of trying to play this with a controller just about gave me a panic attack. I hope it sells well for Relic's sake, but also I would love to watch a competitive match between two console players because I think it would be hilarious

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I got 2:30 in and the thought of trying to play this with a controller just about gave me a panic attack. I hope it sells well for Relic's sake, but also I would love to watch a competitive match between two console players because I think it would be hilarious

Honestly after watching that video I feel its hard for me to mock it too much because it's not like my APM is that much higher.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm just glad I'm finally playing a CoH game where I don't feel like I'm hamstringing myself by playing Allies. I almost exclusively stuck with them because they tended to have lower queues and, yknow, the other side is loving nazis, but they were definitely the more technical and touchy of the two sides. Now I'm actually liking the *British* of all things the most, even with the option of playing German, because they feel powerful and dynamic.

Really? I thought Panzer Elite DAK was just bonkers. The infantry buff that their vehicles give makes it almost impossible for either allied faction hold any point that the DAK choose to fight over. Their 250 upgrade tech lets them turn their tracks into mobile mortars once the allies are inevitably forced to upgrade their infantry with light AT weapons they convert the early extra ammo and fuel into something like the infantry squad upgrade to get 6 models per squad and use the extra ammo to equip them with mg34s and now you have a bunch of AT infantry that can't hang with 6 man PzG squads. The Marder is also insane as a mobile AT gun. Both the mortar and Marder earn me 1000% unit efficiency at the stats screen some games. A lot of people on reddit feel DAK is far and away the best faction right now. I didn't get nearly enough play with other factions and it is definitely too early to say what is or isn't OP but the front-runner seems to be DAK while Wehrmarcht seems to be the toughest to get value from.

Captain Beans posted:

Where do I sign up to get that UI for PC?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Without real number and so little time I don't want to pass judgement yet. Though in the MP games I played my team kept losing as Allies until we switched to Axis, then we won every game sooooo (might also have something to do with my teammate literally not making T1 and try to fight with scouts and engineer until he saves to T3)

That brings me to another annoying thing, Relic not exposing any hard number in the tooltips. I don't want to pay munition and fuel to upgrade when you don't tell me how much difference it's making. Also there's too many abilities that just drop a bunch of artillery or bombs that's all telegraphed with the same colored smoke effect. The same red smoke can be airburst shell that'll miss every single shot and takes whole 5 seconds to start coming in or the entire sector can just explodes with no chance of survival for any unit in the entire zone.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i didn't play as much of coh2 but in coh1 most of the call in attacks also had the same red flare smoke regardless of what they were. you just had to pay attention to what doctrine your opponent had to know what was coming

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I recall some calldowns being straight up decoy smoke to fool your opponents into thinking a bombing run or smoke barrage was coming. It's part of the meta by design.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Might be remembering wrong, but wasn't at least one strafing run without flares? I vaguely remember feeling great joy at surprise strafing a blob.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Son of Rodney posted:

Might be remembering wrong, but wasn't at least one strafing run without flares? I vaguely remember feeling great joy at surprise strafing a blob.

I want to say that there were some zone-based ones that would strafe whatever came into an area without warning, but not positive.

There was also the case of some call ins whose flares came down early and then faded, so a blob running through an area could miss the flares and get wrecked.

And yeah from above there were decoy flares and they were really funny. A little too expensive for what they did but it is what it is.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Son of Rodney posted:

I think the general rule was if arty was from a doctrinal ability, you’d see smoke, while if it was from a unit, you wouldn’t. I remember (in Coh2) some USF or British captain units could call down arty or strafing runs, and they wouldn’t see it until it hit, I think a Wehrmacht unit could do it too.

My biggest gripe is no Soviet Union. I understand they wanted to make a brighter, more colorful game after coming off the early 2010’s era games being brown and grey, so they set it in the Mediterranean. But now everything is a muddled tan-on-tan, not sure it it’s an improvement.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

My biggest gripe is no Soviet Union. I understand they wanted to make a brighter, more colorful game after coming off the early 2010’s era games being brown and grey, so they set it in the Mediterranean. But now everything is a muddled tan-on-tan, not sure it it’s an improvement.

If the game (and especially the campaign) is a hit I could see them releasing a Balkans expansion with a Soviet/Yugoslavian army. They're emphasizing height advantages with their map design this time and that would fit in nicely.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I'd thought I'd ask before this thing launches in a a months time; how aggressive was the pay to win element in CoH2 with their battlegroup sales. We're they pretty much required for competitive play or did the basic free battlegroups suffice or was it more of an OP at launch and then they "oops" nerfed them down once sales dropped off?

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

MikeC posted:

I'd thought I'd ask before this thing launches in a a months time; how aggressive was the pay to win element in CoH2 with their battlegroup sales. We're they pretty much required for competitive play or did the basic free battlegroups suffice or was it more of an OP at launch and then they "oops" nerfed them down once sales dropped off?

IIRC it was about 50/50. The paid commanders were about half better than the free-to-play ones and half were worse. Usually when they nerfed stuff, it was because players had discovered an abuse for it. One Soviet commander had a "call in free fuel every x minutes" which was fair and balanced in 1v1 and team games, until people figured you could all drop them on one guy, so everyone would go for that commander and drop it on the one teammate who would immediately tech up into heavy tanks while everyone else was using light vehicles and roll over them.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Wish there was a mainstream Zero Hour-like on the horizon so that teh_pwnerer could come back and show us all how it's done

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

IIRC it was about 50/50. The paid commanders were about half better than the free-to-play ones and half were worse. Usually when they nerfed stuff, it was because players had discovered an abuse for it. One Soviet commander had a "call in free fuel every x minutes" which was fair and balanced in 1v1 and team games, until people figured you could all drop them on one guy, so everyone would go for that commander and drop it on the one teammate who would immediately tech up into heavy tanks while everyone else was using light vehicles and roll over them.

Thanks for the heads up. This is really the only thing left giving me pause before purchasing on launch. I played the poo poo out of CoH / OF but never played the 2nd edition because of pay-to-win concerns like when ToV came out. If I am gonna get stuck in heavily in MP competition, I don't want to whip out my credit card every few months to avoid just getting rolled for no reason.

They released a blog and video about feedback after the MP test. Some of the graphics issues will be fixed and they are addressing sound to make it more bombastic like previous CoH titles were. Good news on that front.

https://community.companyofheroes.com/coh-franchise-home/company-of-heroes-3/blogs/36-tech-test-coh-development-update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd-hR0B7APE

Love Stole the Day posted:

Wish there was a mainstream Zero Hour-like on the horizon so that teh_pwnerer could come back and show us all how it's done

Who or what is teh_pwnerer?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
As I recall, you could technically get the paid commanders as random drops in COH2 as well. I think near the end they also gave them all away for free. No clue what the plan is for COH3.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I really enjoyed the campaign from a previous beta so I'll probably pick it up but I really hope they fix the graphics, specifically everything looking completely washed out.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I think after people complained about it looking "too cartoony" (almost always a :rolleyes: thing to say) they adjusted the lighting too far the other way. For example, here's a comparison I saw:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not the colours that make it cartoony it's the fact that the tanks shoot fireballs at each other.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Game's in pretty good shape IMO if the main issues that came out during the tech test were...tech issues. Can't wait for that campaign revamp; last I heard they removed detachments since they were too fussy.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

MikeC posted:

Thanks for the heads up. This is really the only thing left giving me pause before purchasing on launch. I played the poo poo out of CoH / OF but never played the 2nd edition because of pay-to-win concerns like when ToV came out. If I am gonna get stuck in heavily in MP competition, I don't want to whip out my credit card every few months to avoid just getting rolled for no reason.

I was a Soviet main and the SU was absolutely awash in paid commanders. With the exception of when players found an exploit, I never felt that the paid commanders tipped the scale in a game, although I did occasionally buy some broken commanders because there was never really a time where the allies felt "stonger" than axis, and I didn't feel guilty about stomping some axis players through exploits.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Mordja posted:

I think after people complained about it looking "too cartoony" (almost always a :rolleyes: thing to say) they adjusted the lighting too far the other way. For example, here's a comparison I saw:

First one looks great, never listen to g*mers imo.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Voice acting from units is top notch, with plenty of situational shouts. Glad the series keep that up.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

BigglesSWE posted:

Voice acting from units is top notch, with plenty of situational shouts. Glad the series keep that up.

I heard one Tommy saying, "Forget what those Yanks think, baseball is just another form of cricket!"

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Reinstalled COH2 with plans to play it a bit to compare. Looking at the various commanders, there sure is a lot of overlapping units and abilities that I hope 3 will avoid.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 21, 2023

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Tried watching some CoH2 streamers because of the CoH3 beta being fun to see what the game's community is like, and sure enough not even 5 minutes into it, this guy was restreaming some right wing CHUD youtube trash while queueing for his next match.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

All WW2 games have a contingent of losers and weirdos attached to them unfortunately

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I forget his name but there’s one guy that seems cool and he mainly plays soviets. I haven’t picked up any of the usual dog whistles in his videos.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
You can usually spot them because they only ever play on the Axis side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The only "mandatory" paid commander that I can remember from CoH2 was the one that gave the Germans close combat engineers out the gate that's was spammed every goddamned game.