Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Don't you just love adventure games? "I suspect you tried to assassinate the Shaman with your something-in-a-box trick! Here's your box back."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!

I was going to post this last night but the HD processing came to a standstill. This video contains the first section of Zombie Island with George, the second part of London with Nico and finished with the second part of Zombie Island. There is an easter egg in this section of the game, I wasn't sure whether I should include it or not but then I remembered that I had already shown off the one involving the goat. I also made a few errors in the game and on a rare occasion I left them in, I didn't think that they were big enough to stop and then re-record. The first and third involved a couple of misclicks, one seemed quite understandable and something that I wanted to point out and the other was me trying to find a tricky hotspot. The second mistake involved forgetting to write down a couple of easy directions in my notes, which wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't in the middle of trying to navigate a bullshit small maze that needs specific directions to navigate through too maintain your sanity, twice.

By popular demand posted:

Don't you just love adventure games? "I suspect you tried to assassinate the Shaman with your something-in-a-box trick! Here's your box back."

And then he proceeds to take even more boxes to the wise man without even checking the contents.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

...did I miss something in this game or the last one, or is Nico being extremely blase about the existence of ghosts?!

Also, I'm pretty darn sure that Rio's comment about George looking out for the 'living dead' specifically is a Romeo reference.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!

Samovar posted:

...did I miss something in this game or the last one, or is Nico being extremely blase about the existence of ghosts?!

Also, I'm pretty darn sure that Rio's comment about George looking out for the 'living dead' specifically is a Romeo reference.

She definitely wasn't phased at all by it. After the past six months Templars, André and the recent kidnapping, a ghost chilling out was probably a welcome break from the norm.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Nice easter egg BTW, the game referenced is Beneath a Steel Sky.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video contains the final parts of Nico's time in London and George's time on Zombie Island. We're almost at the end of the game now as the next video will be the start of the final location in the game. The Smoking Mirror is the shortest game in the series with The Sleeping Dragon following shortly behind it, I'll get onto Broken Sword 2.5 when it's time to start it. These last couple of updates happened in very quick succession so I'll be recording more additional content to give a bit of a break before the next one.

I originally had another image in mind for the banner, but then this came up as one of the default thumbnails for the video and it looks like Nico is holding a phone and has just received a naughty message from George. :smug:

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 5, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oof. Timing puzzles in point-and-clicks are never very well done.

And, use this as evidence against me when I'm being brought before the Revolutionary Court accused of being a member of the bourgeoisie if you will, but I've never heard anyone use 'frothy coffee' as synonym for cappuccino seriously.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Samovar posted:

Oof. Timing puzzles in point-and-clicks are never very well done.

And, use this as evidence against me when I'm being brought before the Revolutionary Court accused of being a member of the bourgeoisie if you will, but I've never heard anyone use 'frothy coffee' as synonym for cappuccino seriously.

That one sucks, especially if you haven't saved. You can climb down the ladder straight after the guard has passed it and it gives you the illusion that you have enough time. But as soon as you click on the door Nico waits, for some reason, until the guard passes by the back of the boat to open the door. It makes absolutely no sense apart from "adventure game logic".

I solved this by accident in my test run, I forgot about waiting for the conversation and just got lucky. During the recording I got genuinely angry with this segment. As I was waiting for the guard to pass the ladder, Nico would climb down and wait until the guard turned the corner until opening the door and then wait until the guard turned the corner until she got shot even with enough time to climb the ladder again. I understand the logic but the execution for this puzzle is poor as even without the pause for conversation there is more than enough time to complete the objective.

I believe that frothy coffee is more of a Welsh thing. From what I understand it was also a name used around parts of the UK for many years before they standardized the name to cappuccino.

Edit: Grammar.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 5, 2022

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I get it operates on cartoon logic but the hornets puzzle is just mean. Even for an adventure game.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Crikey George you've gone and turned them 'ornts on me! I say!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Crikey George you've gone and turned them 'ornts on me! I say!

The subtitles really didn't fit the voice acting as they were more suited for someone with a much stronger accent and pronunciation.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Nico returns to Quaramonte and everything seems to have taken a downward turn but at least she has some help from a new ally. There really wasn't a lot of extra dialogue to record up until this point, I'm going to hold off until the end of the game to upload a final bonus video.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh, Raoul. Your (what I assume) are your last words, and you mess up the reference of the object of the verb. It's who sacrifices whom!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I hope Raul gets to punch out Generalissimo mom.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Finally caught up with the thread. It was interesting for me to see how much the fifth game mirrors the first one in terms of story and locations if not puzzles. George is less of a dick than in the first game (hornets aside) but that Birth of a Nation reference was :chloe: I also don't like the voice acting for Nicole in Smoking Mirror compared to Templars, often she sounds flat and bored.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Samovar posted:

Oh, Raoul. Your (what I assume) are your last words, and you mess up the reference of the object of the verb. It's who sacrifices whom!

I hope Raul gets to punch out Generalissimo mom.

Raoul is a sleazy weirdo, but I don't think anyone with his apparent upbringing could ever come out of it well adjusted. When it came down to what mattered he stood up for himself and did the right thing.

fish and chips and dip posted:

Finally caught up with the thread. It was interesting for me to see how much the fifth game mirrors the first one in terms of story and locations if not puzzles. George is less of a dick than in the first game (hornets aside) but that Birth of a Nation reference was :chloe: I also don't like the voice acting for Nicole in Smoking Mirror compared to Templars, often she sounds flat and bored.

I think that Jennifer Caron Hall started off a little shaky at the start of The Smoking Mirror but as time went on I barely noticed the difference compared to Hazel Ellerby's voice acting apart from the inflection. Maggie Nolan will be taking over as Nicole in 2.5 and then Sarah Crook in 3.

What is the reference that you are referring too?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I like that Nico gets to rescue George for a change. I don't think that was too common in the nineties.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Raoul is a sleazy weirdo, but I don't think anyone with his apparent upbringing could ever come out of it well adjusted. When it came down to what mattered he stood up for himself and did the right thing.

I think that Jennifer Caron Hall started off a little shaky at the start of The Smoking Mirror but as time went on I barely noticed the difference compared to Hazel Ellerby's voice acting apart from the inflection. Maggie Nolan will be taking over as Nicole in 2.5 and then Sarah Crook in 3.

What is the reference that you are referring too?

On the beach on Zombie Island where they were filming, George mentioned "Birth of a Nation" in a positive light a 1915 movie which while very technically ahead of it's time is also very racist, very white supremacist, and very pro-KKK.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Back when that movie was frequently brought up as a model for filmmaking excellence, it took about 20-30 years for everybody to get the memo about not 'really hand it' to racist trash.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Thank you for the explanation, I decided to check it out further on Wikipedia... :psyduck:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the finale of Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror. I'll be finishing off the additional footage and death reel before I start Broken Sword 2.5: The Return Of The Templars.

I'm a little disheartened that Raoul didn't make it into the final scene where they're all standing outside of the pyramid..

I'm still waiting on baldurk to reply to me about archiving the first game so the OP will remain the same going into the next game. The archive hasn't been updated in over a month but it does have periods of time where it's not updated for weeks, it's just going to take some patience before I can shuffle things around.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Hey it all worked out, skulheadface is trapped back in the mirror, George and Nico are back together and the little guy is happy. Let's get to the next game.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Nico, that was very inappropriate.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Hey it all worked out, skulheadface is trapped back in the mirror, George and Nico are back together and the little guy is happy. Let's get to the next game.

Yessir! I'm going to try to finish off the rest of the recordings this weekend. I don't think that there's much else to see in this part of the game so the last additional footage video is going to be a shirt one. There are only four death sequences in the game and I've already recorded them.

If one or both aren't up tonight they'll definitely be up tomorrow.

Samovar posted:

Nico, that was very inappropriate.

Putting the stone in before the others?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Putting the stone in before the others?
Probably the "wiggle" she does if you skip her final puzzle. That's a very nineties easter egg.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos
Additional Dialogue - Part 4

This is the final video that contains additional dialogue not heard in the main playthrough. This video includes additional dialogue with the Museum Curator, Professor Oubier, the Lucky Piece Of Coal, Bert Savage, Sharon Kowalski, Haiku Limerick McEwan and The Sergeant.

Death Reel

There are only four death sequences in this game and they involve the Spider, Pablo, the Boat Guard and Karzac.

anilEhilated posted:

Probably the "wiggle" she does if you skip her final puzzle. That's a very nineties easter egg.

I was being facetious, my friend. It's even more nineties with the way that they seemed to increase the size of her breasts to make it even more obvious.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

As I said earlier, Broken Sword 2.5: The Return of the Templars is up next. If you want to experience it for yourself you can download it for free from the developers website here: http://www.brokensword25.com/. I believe that the default language is German, there is a separate English voice pack available to download. It'll be quicker and easier to copy and paste a summary of the game:

quote:

https://brokensword.fandom.com/wiki/Broken_Sword_2.5:_The_Return_of_the_Templars

Broken Sword 2.5 The Return of the Templars is an unofficial part of the Broken Sword series. Developed and released by German company MindFactory on 28 September 2008 as freeware for Windows, it is a game created by fans to explain what happens during the time between Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror and Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon. It took eight years to develop, starting in 2000 as a response to the gap in the story that fans saw between the second and third game. It was originally released in German, but through 2009 and 2010, it was translated (via subtitles) to English, Spanish, Italian, Polish, Croatian, Portuguese, Russian, and French, with an English voice pack released in 2010. As might be expected of a fan project, it is a free, short game that stays relatively true to the story and feeling of the series.

Charles Cecil and Tony Warriner were fully aware of Broken Sword 2.5 as early as 2003 and even set them sprite sets to support the development of the project, as evidenced in this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N82GKPy0SWY.

I'm going to start recording within the next few days. You're more than welcome to watch, play along or play the game for yourself. After Broken Sword 2.5 I'm going to make an effort to record more freeware adventure games. I've been meaning to do an LP of the second Apprentice game for a while now, it's been almost eight months since I uploaded a video of the first game and I keep putting it off. I'm going to hold off on the Zak McKraken fan-made game until I've completed the first one. I've started and abandoned two SSLPs, one of them was an attempt at Zak McKraken around seven or eight years ago and I got too overwhelmed with it as I'm really bad when it comes to writing. I could bang on about freeware adventure games all day long but this isn't the time or place.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

I was being facetious, my friend. It's even more nineties with the way that they seemed to increase the size of her breasts to make it even more obvious.
Yeah, sorry, it's kinda hard to tell just by text. Anyhow, now we're getting to the games I had no idea even existed so this should be fun. Eagerly looking forward to more.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Let's Play Broken Sword 2.5: The Return of the Templars

After a period of hardship, George Stobbart returns to Paris after receiving some horrifying news about Nico. While returning to Café de la Chandelle Verte he receives a visit from an old... friend... who provides George with some very unsettling news about Nicole's activities while he has been away and the possibility that the Neo-Templars may still exist."

The game is free to download here: http://www.brokensword25.com/

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

It's a tough day for George- got off the flight only to be stonewalled by Nico, got manipulated to buy some horrible ice cream, met Andre- always a pleasure, learned of suspicious things and to top it all his voice acting is rather flat and uninspired!

Yeah it's a fan game so we're lucky to have any voice acting, but I can't help but notice it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I was kinda wondering about that - whether it's just the voice or if George is meant to sound tired or depressed. Given the circumstances, I'd say it could swing either way.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh boy, did that opening cutscenes give me some Limbo of the Lost vibes.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
I think my problem with George’s voice is that it’s clearly someone from Europe, so he doesn’t sound American. In spite of this, I’m impressed with this so far - it’s definitely got the feel of the previous games! I guess having Germans working on this is a good sign given how they kept the point and click love going when the US market went sour on it.

I’m a bit confused by the timeline - the use of Euros and mobile phone technology would put this in early 2000s, but the previous games would still be the late 90s. Has it taken years to fix the cafe? (I’m sure there’s a ‘hilarious’ joke about French work crews here…)

I’m assuming the three games so far are supposed to take place relatively close to each other so they’re always set ‘today’, and we’re supposed to just disregard any anachronisms - otherwise George seems to be a very neglectful boyfriend, and it’s little wonder Lobineau sees him as an ex boyfriend…

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The work that they've put into this game is incredible, they did an excellent job with the artwork of the game to make it look and feel like the original games.

It does have its issues though. I'm currently doing a test run for the next recording and I've encountered a false memory from the first game. I've also encountered a puzzle that absolutely makes no logical sense in its concept or in its solution. There is going to be a death reel in this game, I've encountered three deaths during this part of the playthrough.

Broken Sword 2 was released in 1997 and The Sleeping Dragon was released in 2003. I don't think that this will be spoiling anything in the next update but George mentions that the events in this game are taking place six years after The Smoking Mirror so that would mean that this game is taking place directly before the third game. There is a room which has the dates 2002 & 2003 on the wall which backs this up even more. So France will have adopted the Euro at this point in time and the use of mobile phones will be widespread.

The game was originally only released with German voice actors, the English voice pack was released in 2010. I wasn't expecting the person playing George to be perfect but he does a pretty good job. I was also thinking that the voice actor was from Europe but it turns out that Stan Burdman is from Staten Island, New York.

Edit: One thing that feels out of place is the numerous references to things that happened in the previous two games.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 11, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, George is still trying to find out what's going in with Nico and it appears that there are people around who want to put a stop to it.

This part of the game has some weird plot advancement and puzzle-solving going on (Nico's random disappearing and then reappearance, the fuse box puzzle, the hotel puzzle), please correct me if I'm talking out of my rear end with this. I've already completed a test run of the next update and there is more of it to come.

Edit: I'd probably enjoy the nostalgia trip more if I hadn't gone straight into this after playing the first two games back to back.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jul 13, 2022

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The fuse box thing was literally dream logic "flashlight= electricity, fusebox=electricity"
And good to see George is still pilfering anything in sight with no regards of privacy.
Though trading your GF's panties to a disgusting bum is a whole new level.

I wonder if Andre was responsible for the fire, it'd be a jump from romantic rivalry to attempted murder.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The fuse box thing was literally dream logic "flashlight= electricity, fusebox=electricity"
And good to see George is still pilfering anything in sight with no regards of privacy.
Though trading your GF's panties to a disgusting bum is a whole new level.

I wonder if Andre was responsible for the fire, it'd be a jump from romantic rivalry to attempted murder.

I'm not sure why they went with a fuse box of all things. They could have had George pilfering batteries from a portable stereo or some over device left on one of the tables outside of the café.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
I'm beginning to see why people thought the guy who voiced George wasn't actually an American - who pronounces "Irvine" like that? Seriously?

Albu-quirky Guy fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 14, 2022

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Given that this is such a well made game, it's a shame that the actual story is complete fanwanky arse.

The plotline and events of Broken Sword has been frequently mentioned, with precious few original locations and a seeming persistence to have to go back to every location with an unsubtle 'remember this place, guys??' attitude. Events from Broken Sword, which are now 7 years old, are remembered by characters with such alacrity it borders on the implausible (both the receptionist and the waitress remember George perfectly?).

George is written atrociously, with a dislike of Lobineau which borders on the psychotic (at this point he's dragged out a long-distance relationship for best part of a decade - if I was Nico I'd be getting tired of waiting and having someone like Lobineau who's there and showing interest in her seems a much better option), a disrespect for Nico by going through her purse and stealing underwear and a sweater from her as well as contemplating wanton destruction of her property just because he dislikes it. This George is just a walking red flag. The persistent suicide jokes feel like German humour gone wrong rather than a less than sensitive look at depression.

The improbable return of Guido and Flap (and clearly we have Dwayne and Pearl coming, since their voice artists were credited in the opening credits) just takes away the legitimacy of filling the gaps between BS2 and BS3, and turns it into a Broken Sword's Greatest Hits.

What I am wondering now is whether this is better played between BS2 and BS3, or to play it after whichever the last game was before it was actually released?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

If you're not a big fan of fanwankery and characters returning that make no logical sense you're going to love the next part! I'm going to attempt a recording tonight and I already know where I'm going to end it.