Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

At least one of the enemy pilots ejected. I don’t think you need confirmed pilot kills to become an ace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah and that’s cool bc they were trying to kill them

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

checkplease posted:

No clue who this guy is, but found his discussion on the efficiency of the first 15 mins to be interesting.

https://twitter.com/colehaddon/status/1535429093130641408?s=21&t=URsScisaWqqeysFidEDdMg
I pointed this out to my friend right after we left the theater. It's amazing what you can do in 10-15 minutes when you don't have to fill 12 hours of content.

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah and that’s cool bc they were trying to kill them

What if it was a perfectly legal civilian nuclear plant???

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Well they say it goes against NATO protocols (?) so according to NATO it’s not I guess, whatever the hell that means.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BrownPepper posted:

wow this is smart- you seem like a good poster

i am extremely smart, and also quite good looking :grin:

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
i appreciated the desire to create verisimilitude by putting cameras in the cockpits and create intimacy with the new cast but felt they went to that angle a little too often. would have liked to see the jets doing cool poo poo in places. neither location (the training islands or the chilly baltic/russian/whatever mountains) felt like it existed.

solid movie though, and fun

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Great movie. I have seen it twice and am now super pumped for Israel’s attack on Iran.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

SuperTeeJay posted:

Great movie. I have seen it twice and am now super pumped for Israel’s attack on Iran.

Happened years ago man

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the first thing i did after seeing this movie was go out and blow a bunch of Navy dude, but to be fair, that's what i do every friday night

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

mobby_6kl posted:

I pointed this out to my friend right after we left the theater. It's amazing what you can do in 10-15 minutes when you don't have to fill 12 hours of content.

What if it was a perfectly legal civilian nuclear plant???

Yeah there’s many tv series that would spend multiple episodes on setting up motivation and the issue. Or No Way Home comes to mind, where even though it was lots of fun, it still spent the first 45 minutes trying to set everything up.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

precision posted:

the first thing i did after seeing this movie was go out and blow a bunch of Navy dude, but to be fair, that's what i do every friday night

tax deductible charity

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I saw this yesterday and I thought all the plane stuff was a lot of fun, but it being rated as some kind of 9/10 almost perfect movie is kind of baffling to me. Most of the stuff about Cruise's character arc just fell very flat for me, it's like if the navy made a hallmark movie about a narcissist.

It would have been more interesting to focus more on the maverick and rooster relationship/conflict and just cut the romance with Connelly's character entirely, imo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s a really simple movie with amazing visuals and real stunts. It felt refreshing when most things today have the most overly complicated plots written by 49 different people.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!

Gresh posted:

Just saw it.

This movie is unabashedly military propaganda and a great ad for a preemptive strike on Iran's underground nuclear facilities in the mountains by Israel. That's literally the plot lmao, swap out the US and NotRussia for Israel and Iran. The fact that this is gonna make like 600 million in America is terrifying, especially with dumb Americans already whipped up into a gung ho militarist frenzy over Russia/Ukraine by the State Department's propaganda machine.

Oh, and discount Iceman sucked.

Before covid pushed the movie back Gallup sent out a poll asking the members if they were going to see it and a bunch of questions about military funding and whet they thought about the different branches. I forgot to screen cap them though.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

In the original Top Gun, Maverick wears his dad's G-1 leather flight jacket, which was decorated with patches commemorating his dad's service in the 1960s and featured the flags of Japan and Taiwan.

In TG:Maverick, the the flags were changed to avoid offending China, but the after the studio had a falling out with the Chinese, the flags were changed back to the original configuration.

https://www.military.com/off-duty/movies/2022/06/10/tom-cruises-jacket-no-longer-legit-reason-skip-top-gun-maverick.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I completely forgot about this, but someone in the RLM thread dug up the actual 5th gen fighter Iranians were showing off a few years ago:

PeterCat posted:

In the original Top Gun, Maverick wears his dad's G-1 leather flight jacket, which was decorated with patches commemorating his dad's service in the 1960s and featured the flags of Japan and Taiwan.

In TG:Maverick, the the flags were changed to avoid offending China, but the after the studio had a falling out with the Chinese, the flags were changed back to the original configuration.

https://www.military.com/off-duty/movies/2022/06/10/tom-cruises-jacket-no-longer-legit-reason-skip-top-gun-maverick.html

:hmmyes:

Now also ADR that the bad guys are russia

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Red Bones posted:

I saw this yesterday and I thought all the plane stuff was a lot of fun, but it being rated as some kind of 9/10 almost perfect movie is kind of baffling to me. Most of the stuff about Cruise's character arc just fell very flat for me, it's like if the navy made a hallmark movie about a narcissist.

It would have been more interesting to focus more on the maverick and rooster relationship/conflict and just cut the romance with Connelly's character entirely, imo.

I have to agree. Overall, it had a pretty solid and efficient plot, but was certainly nothing mind bending. I also found everything after Maverick gets shot down to be way, way, way too contrived for a movie/franchise that, to me, is pretty rigidly ground in reality. In my opinion, the movie would have been stronger if Maverick had been allowed to die, despite how incredibly telegraphed it would have been.

That being said, the cinematography and actual "in-jet acting" makes up for so many of these flaws... I wouldn't rate it a 9/10, but it is definitely a great, fun movie I will watch many times in the future.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Maverick turns into Ethan Hunt after he gets shot down.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Stealing an enemy jet is a thing that happened IRL.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Stealing an enemy jet is a thing that happened IRL.

After being shot down, evading enemy forces, and using the taxi way instead of a fully constructed runway?

The "simple" act of stealing a jet is not contrived, but everything surrounding it certainly is.

That being said, I really appreciated the attempted accuracy/hand waving of starting up the F-14 without a ground crew. That is also a bit out there, but was way better than just hopping in and turning the key to magically find the engine turning over.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

the dogfighting in the f14 was a bridge too far after the sams being the worst anti-air devices in the history of anti-air devices. dont care how lovely the pilots were an f14 is not winning air to air with modern jets.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I’m not sure why anyone expects this to be a mind bending movie. Certainly the first wasn’t. But I guess hype gets to us all. Top gun Maverick is like a perfectly crafted cheeseburger. You’ve had one before, you know what to expect. But it’s just made with expert skill. The script it right, it’s well acted, great soundtrack, and the best flying cinematography.

Yeah it’s not realistic at end perhaps, but it’s fun stealing an aircraft having some final dog fights. Most action films will trade fun for realism.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's not a big deal but it was still a hard left three and a half hours into the series.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I should have hated it but it's so well made I didn't give a poo poo.

10/10 action, holy shitballs it's not a CGI bullshit fest for once, real jets go zoom, it rules.

Rest is like... 7/10? It's dumb as poo poo BUT executed well so I just went along with it.

Navy dickhead career saved because his buddy is admiral is a 10/10 for realism.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
this was probably one of the best parts
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/pP3PioLVWBM

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

checkplease posted:

Top gun Maverick is like a perfectly crafted cheeseburger. You’ve had one before, you know what to expect.

To be honest, no I did not expect any of the last twenty minutes-ish. But like live with fruit said, it's not a big deal because it was still fun.

I do think a lot of people are riding high on the hype right now, and in time will look back and rethink some of these "among the best sequels ever" comments, but that doesn't mean it wasn't still a great movie.

sean10mm posted:

10/10 action, holy shitballs it's not a CGI bullshit fest for once, real jets go zoom, it rules.

Rest is like... 7/10? It's dumb as poo poo BUT executed well so I just went along with it.

Basically this.

Gin_Rummy fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 16, 2022

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I think it’s one of the better legacy sequels. Yeah there’s better direct sequels and trilogies and such. But for sequels decades after the last film, I would probably only put Creed above it. Though admittedly I am likely forgetting something. Fury Road too, though it’s not really connected beyond a max that is not having a good time.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's better than Color of Money, Bill and Ted, new Ghostbusters. Worse than the new Blade Runner though.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
I think we can all agree it is at least far superior to the likes of Anchorman 2 or Zoolander 2.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gin_Rummy posted:

I think we can all agree it is at least far superior to the likes of Anchorman 2 or Zoolander 2.

Top Gun: Maverick is better but Anchorman 2 is underrated. Especially in light if McKay's turn towards more serious stories.

Is it well-known that Kosinski directed Spiderhead? I just learned this today. You'd think Netflix would play up his involvement more now that everyone loves Top Gun.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah I’m now interested in watching Spiderhead now that I know he is the director

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

yeah that was sick as balls. as someone who (for some reason) watches a lot of dcs dogfight videos on youtube this smacked.

I didn't think maverick should be surprised at the maneuver though, dude is an expert dogfighter and test pilot, theres no way he didnt do sick nasty poo poo in f22s and f35s

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Ammanas posted:

yeah that was sick as balls. as someone who (for some reason) watches a lot of dcs dogfight videos on youtube this smacked.

I didn't think maverick should be surprised at the maneuver though, dude is an expert dogfighter and test pilot, theres no way he didnt do sick nasty poo poo in f22s and f35s

The Navy doesn't have F22s.

That's actually a weird part about the opening too, the SR-72 would be an Air Force aircraft, it wouldn't have a Navy test pilot on board.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
https://www.dga.org/Craft/Podcast.aspx

Directors guild of America podcast has a new one with Konsinki. It’s a good episode and interesting interview.

Some highlights:
- once they Kosinski convinced Cruise, Cruise immediately called the head of Paramount and said they are making the movie.
-the Maverick motorcycle shot took 43 takes over 3 days. Kosinski really wanted the right sunlight.
-over 3800 story boards, lots of pre vis
-Cruise designed a training regime for the young pilot actors to acclimate them to flying and g forces. This consisted of starting with simple planes like a sensa before moving to more maneuverable ones.
- Navy had the cast try some of their own training
- the canyon run where Maverick shows how to do the mission is the real top gun low altitude training location.
- navy advisors were around to help keep things mostly realistic,
- f18s had 6 cameras in them to record cast. They typically flew for an hour each day and then reviewed what cameras captured.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
There was literally a pre-movie commercial before the showing I saw where they interviewed the stunt pilots from the movie and they were all "we had so much fun working on this joint Air Force/Navy commercial, we hope the audiences love it as much as we loved working on it" and I couldn't stop thinking about that during the movie.

Also that sun-blotting cloud of tomahawk missiles could have taken out the SAM emplacements and made the bombing run much faster/easier?

Or just caved the mountains in on top of the single entry point?

I just, I mean yeah the mission was fun but it felt like two movie plots were jammed together.

The whole thing could have been just a coming of age story for Rooster in Top Gun training and Maverick being an aging instructor dealing with his guilt over killing Goose.

You could even still have the jets doing cool stuff in training competitions. And more beach sport scenes.

Like, I just kept thinking of the movie Stealth (2005) during the final mission where nameless mooks in future jets were getting taken out by a supernatural pilot in an F14. In retrospect it kinda takes away from the parts of the original Top Gun that I remember and was looking forward to seeing again the most.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jun 18, 2022

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
There’s the early scene where Maverick first reviews the mission says they can’t use the F35 because of gps jamming. So this could interfere with Sam cruise missile targeting also.

But really it’s just the film is happy to trade actual modern tactics for visually exciting stunts. Kosinski and Cruise wanted to film the cast actually flying and everything flows from there. It’s why the F35 is not used. They needed a two seater jet for real pilots. The electronic warfare package could have just shut down the sams. But that’s not as visually intense as missiles and flares flying everywhere.

We can imagine an alternative version where they hack the sams for 3 minutes which creates part of the time limit. High altitude flying is probably used also, but again, it’s more fun to watch a jet fly below a bridge.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i had a dream that Goose was whispering in my ear

that wasn't the whole dream, but it's all i remember. it was pretty nice, NGL (:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gin_Rummy posted:

I have to agree. Overall, it had a pretty solid and efficient plot, but was certainly nothing mind bending. I also found everything after Maverick gets shot down to be way, way, way too contrived for a movie/franchise that, to me, is pretty rigidly ground in reality. In my opinion, the movie would have been stronger if Maverick had been allowed to die, despite how incredibly telegraphed it would have been.

That being said, the cinematography and actual "in-jet acting" makes up for so many of these flaws... I wouldn't rate it a 9/10, but it is definitely a great, fun movie I will watch many times in the future.

I simply rate most movies I wstch 10/10

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think the movie was nice up to about the part where Tom Cruise wakes up and then it was, well..

I thought it would be a little more intelligent and kinda make the 5th gen fighters more scary but i get why they did what they did. The F-14 bit was a bit much for me.

Also a navy pilot having a Mustang and not a Corsair was a travesty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Panzeh posted:

I think the movie was nice up to about the part where Tom Cruise wakes up and then it was, well..

I thought it would be a little more intelligent and kinda make the 5th gen fighters more scary but i get why they did what they did. The F-14 bit was a bit much for me.

Also a navy pilot having a Mustang and not a Corsair was a travesty.

It's because it's Tom Cruise's personal P-51 and there aren't that many corsairs left in the world.

Besides the P-51 is a better fighter plane anyway.