Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Rubellavator posted:

Also, it's hard to tell from just that picture but it looks like you've got some convergence issues.

I should have my adapter tomorrow so I'll check for it then (assuming I'm able to get a picture lol, but yeah I think it'll work)

But then, how do I fix that? I googled stuff and it mentioned degaussing it to adjusting convergence rings. I'm hesitant to open it up, even for a very basic thing until I read a lot and get very comfortable with what's inside for obvious reasons. I don't trust myself to be competent after just reading a few guides. I know for some of the less basic things I would just straight up never trust myself (which is why I wont ever attempt to fix the other Trinitron myself, I'm gonna get a guy to do it.) I'm bad at soldering and being extra careful to not touch things with a screwdriver, shaky hands from a caffeine addiction.

Actually, is there any kind of in depth CRT safety guide out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

BrainDance posted:

I should have my adapter tomorrow so I'll check for it then (assuming I'm able to get a picture lol, but yeah I think it'll work)

But then, how do I fix that? I googled stuff and it mentioned degaussing it to adjusting convergence rings. I'm hesitant to open it up, even for a very basic thing until I read a lot and get very comfortable with what's inside for obvious reasons. I don't trust myself to be competent after just reading a few guides. I know for some of the less basic things I would just straight up never trust myself (which is why I wont ever attempt to fix the other Trinitron myself, I'm gonna get a guy to do it.) I'm bad at soldering and being extra careful to not touch things with a screwdriver, shaky hands from a caffeine addiction.

Actually, is there any kind of in depth CRT safety guide out there?

If you make the screen a single color of red, green, or blue and there are splotches of other colors at random spots, that's a color purity issue where you'd want to degauss. Also I think if the color purity ring isn't aligned correctly you'd also see a similar effect but it'd be in a more uniform way.

Bad convergence would show up the most as blue/red fringing on white text. It's expected for that to be worst at the corners, but you'd want it to be good in the center of the screen. Perfect convergence is practically impossible unless you have a BVM with precise controls and is probably not worth the time anyway. But if your convergence is so bad that you notice it in normal content then you probably want to try to adjust it through the rings. Your PVM has a service manual that explains the process of adjusting the convergence rings.

Having said all that I've got no experience with fixing either of those problems, I've got a little splotch in one of the corners of my 27 inch trinitron and the convergence on it isn't perfect but I haven't bothered fixing either because you can't really tell unless you're looking at test patterns.

And for testing any of that stuff, you could try using the 240p suite with a snes emulator. It has test patterns for convergence and geometry and basically anything you'd want to look at. But if you're just happy with the image you get, stay the gently caress away from it because once you see the little imperfections in your crt you'll never unsee them

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

My experience with this CRT has been, so far, terrifying.

In the beginning everything was horrible and I was like "oh poo poo this is busted"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su83aZwEEN0

But I thought.... I'll just let it warm up see what happens there. So I did that and it stopped freaking out and seems to work now that I've left it going. I'm letting it just run and play some cartoons to see if it holds out but it's very tense
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3qhF6a7sso

Like I get it old hardware needs to warm up. Thing is, even though its warmed up now there's still sometimes a little flash of red. Is this a sign of anything in particular so I can fix it? Like, a bad capacitor that is hopefully very easy to fix/pay a guy a little bit to fix? I think I got a guy who could do things like that if I tell him what I need done.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

BrainDance posted:

My experience with this CRT has been, so far, terrifying.

In the beginning everything was horrible and I was like "oh poo poo this is busted"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su83aZwEEN0

But I thought.... I'll just let it warm up see what happens there. So I did that and it stopped freaking out and seems to work now that I've left it going. I'm letting it just run and play some cartoons to see if it holds out but it's very tense
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3qhF6a7sso

Like I get it old hardware needs to warm up. Thing is, even though its warmed up now there's still sometimes a little flash of red. Is this a sign of anything in particular so I can fix it? Like, a bad capacitor that is hopefully very easy to fix/pay a guy a little bit to fix? I think I got a guy who could do things like that if I tell him what I need done.

You have a loose connection in there somewhere, likely a cracked solder joint. The PVM is way more complicated inside than a consumer TV set. Lots more chassis, wires, boards, and stuff. Warming up the set isn’t going to fix that. If it messes up when you jostle it around that’s likely what it is.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

GutBomb posted:

You have a loose connection in there somewhere, likely a cracked solder joint. The PVM is way more complicated inside than a consumer TV set. Lots more chassis, wires, boards, and stuff. Warming up the set isn’t going to fix that. If it messes up when you jostle it around that’s likely what it is.

It actually got better after moving it, sorta. I moved it into another room to see if the outlet was a problem (I had problems in this room) and then I just left it on. It went from res freaking out, to less red after a minute, to almost no red.

Then after it had run for maybe 5 minutes. Unplugged it, moved it back in the other room, and it was mostly fine after that. There's a small amount of snow in one part of the image sometimes but I think that's just composite noise? Since I'm sending an HDMI signal through a converter of suspect quality.

It's been running for a while now and it seems to be fine. I haven't noticed any red at all since. But, yeah it just really did seem like warming up was what fixed it so, I dunno. Just a gradual thing where it got better the longer it ran.

Is that something that a tv repairman (there actually are a couple here who still know how to work on CRTs. I'm gonna get one to revive the trinitron tv) could open it up, look around, and know what's wrong? Though I kinda think, even if he's good inside a tv like you said this is a different beast.

There isn't much of a retrogaming scene in China sadly because China didn't really get most of the consoles, and the popular NES clone (xiaobawang) isn't gonna look "good" no matter what you plug it into .

And actually now after it running for maybe an hour it looks real, real good. I'm just watching old tv but still. For a little while it was working but weird, and now it's just good besides the composite noise.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 24, 2023

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

GutBomb posted:

You have a loose connection in there somewhere, likely a cracked solder joint.

Someone else on reddit said the same thing, and made the connection to the warming up that when it heats up it expands, "fixing" the cracked solder joint or whatever.

So, finding that, what do I do? Is it going to be obvious/do I just hire a guy, tell him basically what you said, and have him start looking/soldering?

Edit: though, this morning I turn it on and it does the flashing red thing for just a minute and quickly settles. But it settles on red for the whole crt :( like, everything is just a shade of red

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASEQwsJMnjo

I tried jossling it around a bit to see what that did to it, but it doesn't seem to make any difference, better or worse. Even when it's in the flashing red stage it doesn't affect it.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 25, 2023

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I found a guy who repairs them and then sorta sell refurbished ones. Just a guy that sells dozens of PVMs, may be one of the only guys like that left in China. I was gonna have him fix the one I had but then I just decided to sell him both the broken ones I had and buy one of his refurbished ones.

I guess it doesn't really show in a picture, but it looks so good and I'm excited about it so I'm gonna post anyway. This ones absolutely perfect (so far)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9JMYd1hwco

Same model as the broken one

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Looks great! Enjoy.

I sold a little 8 inch pvm8045q to a friend on the agreement that if he ever wanted to sell it that he'd sell it back for the same price. I got it back.

450 lines on an 8 inch screen is some insane crispness. Nice little test monitor.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Saw 8-bit Esquire link to a local craigslist ad for a $20 Sony CRT and I had to snag it.

https://twitter.com/8bitesquire/status/1666472170313199617?s=20

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
Lol saw that earlier, glad you got it

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Thoughts on this TV? https://www.crutchfield.com/S-wkTTttmNYMe/p_15820FS120/Sony-KV-20FS120.html

I primarily want a CRT to play light gun games, NES/PS1/Genesis. I see conflicting comments on flat crt screens being able to play light gun games well if at all. Things I like about it, apparently only 56lbs so wouldn't be terrible to move around. Has RGB input which seems nice. 20" might be kind of small for light gun games though. But 27" probably gets to the point where moving it around solo becomes more of an issue.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

The problem isn’t necessarily flat, it’s if there’s any digital processing happening at any point. I’d be skeptical of that one since it says it’s HD ready.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

holefoods posted:

The problem isn’t necessarily flat, it’s if there’s any digital processing happening at any point. I’d be skeptical of that one since it says it’s HD ready.

It specifically says the opposite, that it's non-HD, which is accurate. That means it (probably) doesn't do line-doubling like the HD Wega line; I had a KV-36HS510 (4:3) and a KV-34HS510 (16:9), and both were useless with lightguns due to their 31KHz scan rate that couldn't be disabled even in 480i.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

Thoughts on this TV? https://www.crutchfield.com/S-wkTTttmNYMe/p_15820FS120/Sony-KV-20FS120.html

I primarily want a CRT to play light gun games, NES/PS1/Genesis. I see conflicting comments on flat crt screens being able to play light gun games well if at all. Things I like about it, apparently only 56lbs so wouldn't be terrible to move around. Has RGB input which seems nice. 20" might be kind of small for light gun games though. But 27" probably gets to the point where moving it around solo becomes more of an issue.

That's a good TV if it's in good shape. Just a note that it supports component and not RGB. Also according to this https://crtdatabase.com/crts/sony/sony-kv-20fs120 you'd want to disable Velocity Modulation in the service menu.

holefoods posted:

Where do you see that? That is absolutely not an HD ready TV since it only supports 480i.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The WEGA line (non-HD) is a pretty common find and although the larger ones are known for having geometry issues, they're nice to have because of the component support.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

sorry everyone, I must have misread the page

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

36 in Sony Trinitron CRT manufactured May 2003 for sale for $75 near me. Seems like a solid deal? Anything I should check for?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Sublimer posted:

36 in Sony Trinitron CRT manufactured May 2003 for sale for $75 near me. Seems like a solid deal? Anything I should check for?

Make sure you and whoever else is moving it with you has a solid spine.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

GutBomb posted:

Make sure you and whoever else is moving it with you has a solid spine.

This. That TV weighs something like 220 pounds.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Ornamented Death posted:

This. That TV weighs something like 220 pounds.

Check the picture while it runs and make sure it isn’t worn out. You don’t want to haul a tv that big and find out it’s toast. Also some later model HD crts can’t work with light guns and some image scaling that adds lag to games.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Sublimer posted:

Check to see how much it'd cost to ship to Philly and then give it to me

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Two questions:
1. Is $250US a good price for a PVM-14N5U in pretty good shape?
2. Is there a generally agreed tier list for retro gaming consumer model CRTs?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Didn't get the Sony KV-20FS120 I posted about earlier, it went without bids for weeks on Ebay and the person wouldn't accept a reasonable offer.

So I picked up a much cheaper 20 inch, a SONY Trinitron KV-20TS27. I just want something to play light gun games on, not looking for a new CRT as a primary playing TV so it works in that regard. Though I didn't realize MiSTer didn't do composite and I'll probably have to buy a $40 adapter from which I don't think I would have had to buy with the other TV so kind of annoying.

The pictures isn't great, but not so bad it's a huge issue. Would buying a remote to be able to adjust settings help with this at all or should I not even bother? If it would help, do they even still sell universal remotes that work with old tvs?

I was dual outputting on an NT Mini Noir and the colors look so good on the CRT in comparison to my TCL QLED. Just looks kind of dull on the TCL. Might be I don't have the colors set correctly, but if I remember right I was making adjustments by eye while Sonic the Hedgehog was playing and I felt pretty satisfied with the result. Though it was blue sky with Mario on the CRT and dull light purple on my TCL.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

katkillad2 posted:

Didn't get the Sony KV-20FS120 I posted about earlier, it went without bids for weeks on Ebay and the person wouldn't accept a reasonable offer.

So I picked up a much cheaper 20 inch, a SONY Trinitron KV-20TS27. I just want something to play light gun games on, not looking for a new CRT as a primary playing TV so it works in that regard. Though I didn't realize MiSTer didn't do composite and I'll probably have to buy a $40 adapter from which I don't think I would have had to buy with the other TV so kind of annoying.

The pictures isn't great, but not so bad it's a huge issue. Would buying a remote to be able to adjust settings help with this at all or should I not even bother? If it would help, do they even still sell universal remotes that work with old tvs?

I was dual outputting on an NT Mini Noir and the colors look so good on the CRT in comparison to my TCL QLED. Just looks kind of dull on the TCL. Might be I don't have the colors set correctly, but if I remember right I was making adjustments by eye while Sonic the Hedgehog was playing and I felt pretty satisfied with the result. Though it was blue sky with Mario on the CRT and dull light purple on my TCL.

Don’t know if this helps but I just got a Sony Trinitron as well. I got the KV-19TR20 model with remote. I’ve been doing some research and if your model is similar to mine, you may need the specific Sony Trinitron remote to go with it.

Might be worth a look here: https://crtdatabase.com/crts/sony/sony-kv-19tr20

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Der-Wreck posted:

Don’t know if this helps but I just got a Sony Trinitron as well. I got the KV-19TR20 model with remote. I’ve been doing some research and if your model is similar to mine, you may need the specific Sony Trinitron remote to go with it.

Might be worth a look here: https://crtdatabase.com/crts/sony/sony-kv-19tr20

Well if I'm understanding the operation manual right, it sounds like all adjustments on my model would be done internally and the remote wouldn't do me much good. My eyesight sucks and my hands are not steady, I burnt the gently caress out of myself trying to solder some batteries on my NES carts so I'm not going to kill myself trying to adjust the picture. Fortunately it doesn't seem as bad as that test pattern makes it out to be.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

katkillad2 posted:

Well if I'm understanding the operation manual right, it sounds like all adjustments on my model would be done internally and the remote wouldn't do me much good. My eyesight sucks and my hands are not steady, I burnt the gently caress out of myself trying to solder some batteries on my NES carts so I'm not going to kill myself trying to adjust the picture. Fortunately it doesn't seem as bad as that test pattern makes it out to be.

Yeah, if you’re looking to adjust the focus, sounds like you have to open it up and fiddle with some screws, based on what I read. Sounds pretty dangerous if you’re unfamiliar with CRT internals.

The remote may be useful because it does have options for hue, saturation, and sharpness. I reset the settings and it made a good difference. Turns out the person I had bought the TV from had the settings all over the place. Saturation ALL the way up!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
My Syncmaster monitor sporadically makes a cracking sound—kinda like a static discharge. Should I be concerned?

First time it’s been turned on in nearly twenty years. The colors were off at first (purply), but returned to normal after I switched it off for a few minutes.

When I increase the resolution to max, the refresh rate falls to 65hz (as it should), but I can see the strobing, which makes it unusable. Not sure if something’s wrong, or I’m just sensitive to the flashing. Haven’t figured out how to push the refresh rate to 100hz or more, which it supposedly can do at lower resolutions (they don’t show up in NVCP).

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Is it a consistent crackling that doesn't go away? Is it coming from the tube itself?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

Is it a consistent crackling that doesn't go away? Is it coming from the tube itself?

the frequency seems to go down with uptime. when it cracks there's often a split second distortion on the screen itself.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

the frequency seems to go down with uptime. when it cracks there's often a split second distortion on the screen itself.

There's a short in the flyback transformer. Unfixable, will get worse. You can try finding a replacement flyback, but the odds aren't good, especially for high-end monitors. Only the exact model can be used.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ah well, this is more of a nostalgic novelty for me than something i need. it did totally disappear after an hour or so of use, though.

and I figured out how to get the higher frame rates. goes up to 130Hz at 640*480. according to the manual it maxes out at 150Hz, probably at 320*240.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I've had a thing happen that makes no sense at all.

When I had lovely laptop's HDMI output -> composite converter box -> PVM it was ok, but there was some weird like... vibrations in the picture if you looked really close. The same laptop outputting over hdmi to a modern screen was just normal and fine.

Then I went and rebuilt a whole thing for my media stuff with leftover parts, one of which was my leftover 2070s, so now that goes to the same composite converter box to the PVM.

And now, the video quality on it is MUCH better. The colors are better, the picture stability is better, it looks just absolutely perfect, almost. And none of that makes sense because the only thing that changed was the HDMI side of things and, HDMI is digital. Same OS (Debian), same driver pretty much. I would think I must have bumped the converter box but where it is back there it's getting bumped and moved constantly.

But also what changed, the HDMI converter box is one of those "upscale to 1080p" deals, and before, even though that's a 16:9 resolution it showed up as just normal 4:3. Now though, from the 2070s, it's not exactly 4:3 (though it's not what you would expect from 16:9), there are thin black lines at the top and bottom.

If I force a 4:3 resolution in the OS it doesn't make a difference. I suspect if I go to a converter box that doesnt upscale at all it would go away maybe, but I only have 2 right now and the one that doesn't upscale is really cheap and sketchy. And I really don't actually care that much, I'm much more concerned with the picture quality than with getting 100% of the screen instead of 99%. It would be annoying for games but I'm gonna get a MiSTer put together for that and I would doubt that would be doing it. For my old TV stuff whatever.

It's just all very weird, you would really expect 2 nvidia gpus on the same OS with the same drivers and the same converter box on the same PVM to output more identically.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

is the discoloration an indication of something else failing?

it fixes itself after a few minutes.

fwiw, no screen crackling today.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

That color problem is likely aging caps or even trace rot, many CRTs will have problems when you turn them on that go away as they heat up for one reason or another. Like, the heat could cause two components to touch where there was a short before.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

If the crackling goes away and doesn't come back I wouldn't worry about it too much. There's likely some bits of dust that got fried either near the flyback itself or around the anode cap. I've also heard that sometimes it's a problem with the anode cap and replacing the dielectric grease underneath it can fix the problem. Be sure to watch some CRT safety videos if you have any plans to open it up.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Rinkles posted:

is the discoloration an indication of something else failing?

it fixes itself after a few minutes.

fwiw, no screen crackling today.

That could just be a bad cable, does touching or wiggling the cable have any effect?

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Matt 24:44
Have PVMs always cost $400 to $1k or have enthusiasts driven up the price? We had a stack of them when I worked in a production room and they were treated like gold back in 2006. I'm seeing 20 inch Zenith televisions for $200 which is even more insane to me.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

rivid posted:

Have PVMs always cost $400 to $1k or have enthusiasts driven up the price? We had a stack of them when I worked in a production room and they were treated like gold back in 2006. I'm seeing 20 inch Zenith televisions for $200 which is even more insane to me.

No, that's a somewhat recent thing for PVM prices. Prices are also quite regional. Lots of people find an old CRT tv and list it on Facebook for $$$$ as RETRO GAMING PERFECTION. On the other hand I see lots of CRT's in my state of Oregon that are cheap or even free.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
CRTs aren't made anymore, can't be made again, and more and more fail and/or are thrown in the dump every day. Retro games are getting more popular. So it's only going to worse. Especially with models that are known for being good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

mysteryberto posted:

No, that's a somewhat recent thing for PVM prices. Prices are also quite regional. Lots of people find an old CRT tv and list it on Facebook for $$$$ as RETRO GAMING PERFECTION. On the other hand I see lots of CRT's in my state of Oregon that are cheap or even free.

This is the same situation I’m finding. I found a 2004 Citizen TV, I think it was 13-inch, for 10 bux at a thrift store. I recently gave it to a friend because I got a Trinitron. I looked on eBay out of curiosity and saw someone selling the same TV near me in Central Canada for something like $100-150 with the same title that you posted.

I’m on my 3rd CRT now and I’ve spent maybe 10-15 bux for each one I’ve had. If I came across a PVM or maybe a translucent prison CRT, I’d consider spending more money. But for an average CRT, I wouldn’t splash out for it.