Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

one thing's for sure. japan got insanely owned and THAT one was for pearl harbour!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Normally dropping experimental weapons on enemy civilians would be bad but y'see, they're an inscrutable alien warrior race that only understands brutal violence, it can't be helped

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Also why don't we put everyone who looks remotely Japanese and lives here into concentration camps and deny any wrongdoing for decades, as a treat!

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
got bad news for you re: denying wrongdoing for decades in relation to the murder of civilians during ww2

you probably shouldn't look it up, it might make you upset

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Ah yes so now dropping the nukes is glorious retribution for Japan's misdeeds?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i think its a pretty foolish errand to try to orient your support for the various actors and events in ww2 based on who was the most bad person, this is a pretty childish way to think and really only useful if your main goal is to scream at people online over things that happened decades ago

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Filing your taxes wrong is a misdeed, a four year rape torture and murder spree with millions of victims possibly requires slightly stronger language.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Torquemada posted:

Filing your taxes wrong is a misdeed, a four year rape torture and murder spree with millions of victims possibly requires slightly stronger language.

but enough about the Democratic Party,

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

henry stimson, the secretary of war and the top guy in charge of the manhattan project (leslie groves was the overall military project manager and robert oppenheimer was the scientific lead) specifically vetoed kyoto from being on the target list, despite kyoto being at the top of the list as the most important remaining japanese city which hadn't yet been destroyed by conventional bombing

we aren't sure exactly why stimson spared kyoto, he cited reasons like kyoto being an important cultural center and it would piss the japanese off too much to make post-war reconciliation possible, but he never wrote down in his diary or anything his exact thinking. its likely he just had fond memories of the city but from a historical perspective there isn't enough evidence to really pin down an exact reason

Yea, you can literally read the minutes of the meetings and the military wanted Kyoto because of its geography being perfect to maximize the damage of the bombs. Stimson and the others vetoed this due to the cultural significance of the city.

Also a lot of people are ignorant or just don't want to bring up that in Fascist/Militarist and such regimes tend to force anyone with any kind of influence or power to join the ruling party and be okay with the government is doing or they can't do their jobs. That means teachers, doctors, lawyers, tax collectors, minor government officials and basically everyone you need to have a functioning country has to be part of the governing body. The question when Germany and Japan were defeated were how many of these people were part of it because they were true dyed in the wool believers or people who just wanted to keep their jobs? That was a big part of the de nazification of Germany and converting Japanese Militarist government over to the Civilian. They had to look at who was left that could fill these positions and decide if they could or could not function in the style of government the Western powers wanted these nations to have. So saying "They put nazis back in power after the war!" is a gross over simplification of what actually happened and is honestly an extremely bad faith argument that utterly undermines any arguments. Not doing this is why Iraq post invasion became a disaster because the US said no baa'thst in government which basically exuded every single person in the country who knew anything about how to run a government. This doesn't excuse Shiiro Oshii or Van Braun or any of the other war criminals that were quietly let go because the US wanted them and their knowlage. Truman to his credit straight up said that they were under no circumstances to bring over any legit, dyed in the wool, Nazis over, so Van Braun and the other rocket scientists records were changed to be "oh he just wanted to build rockets, and this was the only way, he didn't mean to use slave labour" which is utter bullshit because Van Braun was totally cool and thought it was great he could use slaves to build his rockets and Hitler was pretty swell.

All discussions aside, yes the Allies did bad things during war, that's war, you do, terrible awful, unforgivable things, the differences are that the Allies crimes, even at their utter worse, pale in comparison to what the Axis powers did, also War Crimes were straight up part of the Axis war plans. Men and materials were set aside specifically to commit war crimes by both the Japanese and Germans.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
turning american teens and weirdo adults into weeaboos is revenge for the nukes imo

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Darth Brooks posted:

There's a reason everyone in your life hates you.

Okay, but what ELSE would you say to the radioactive husks of Japanese civilian women and children?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

Okay, but what ELSE would you say to the radioactive husks of Japanese civilian women and children?

Nice glow up

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Worf posted:

Nice glow up

lol

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

ah cool, i get to tell the guy going "learn history, idiot" in GBS about the japanese empire's attitude towards non-japanese women and babies in conquered lands

No wonder you can't learn history, you also can't read posts.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

No wonder you can't learn history, you also can't read posts.

For a goon worried about nukes u have no problem melting down 🤔

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Worf posted:

drat nuked em lol

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
its ok, we can set lawrence straight. i'm sure out there somewhere i can find a multi hour series of vtuber posts explaining japanese war crimes in malaysia

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Worf posted:

Nice glow up

I didn't mention anime or highlight anyone who attempted to be funny in saying Japan got owned, because for every ten people who try the "genocide a country because of anime" "joke", one might put some humorous effort into it.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Worf posted:

I'm sorry you're pretending to be upset that I highlighted posts calling out people who think Some Genocide is Good Actually. I will learn from my thoughtless words and deeds

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
imagine having such poor self esteem you have to boost yourself by imagining that other people online approve of genocide, unlike you, the smart person who knows murdering is wrong

god drat what a sad existence

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

its ok, we can set lawrence straight. i'm sure out there somewhere i can find a multi hour series of vtuber posts explaining japanese war crimes in malaysia

Since you still can't read, I'll say again that I think the IJA was evil and even restate in direct terms that more people should have been held responsible for the Nanking rape and massacre as well as any other traumas you've unilaterally decided I don't know about because you freaked out about being wrong and needed to pull a straw man out your rear end.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

:munch:

Goons yelling at the void and accusing each other of the same, it's like performance art

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Since you still can't read, I'll say again that I think the IJA was evil and even restate in direct terms that more people should have been held responsible for the Nanking rape and massacre as well as any other traumas you've unilaterally decided I don't know about because you freaked out about being wrong and needed to pull a straw man out your rear end.

im glad you finally googled those things in an emotional panic due to people making fun of you for being a dork but you probably should have done that before you decided to get self righteous about being the person who hates murder the most

anyway i advise you strongly to relax

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Who knew that talking about nuclear bombs going off would be such a heated issue.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

im glad you finally googled those things in an emotional panic due to people making fun of you for being a dork but you probably should have done that before you decided to get self righteous about being the person who hates murder the most

anyway i advise you strongly to relax

Only one of us, you, has had to lie to feel good about themselves in this thread. Why don't you cool Hitler yourself into stopping posting in the thread if your post isn't literally describing yourself.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

was macarthur right to bomb the north koreans back to the stone age with the use of 30-50 nuclear weapons, ending the war in 10 days and sparing countless americans and chinese from the brutal war that was sure to follow? my conscious says yes, he was

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Worf posted:

I really do not think Japan would have been much better off with a land invasion honestly, Even if it's not exactly a great idea to cheer for nuking civilians.

I also think it's a lot easier to say that when you don't have to deal with telling the teenage boys that you would be sending to their deaths that they have to go to Japan, and then knocking on their mother's door back in Kansas or wherever.

Truman wasn't waltzing up to any widows' doors either way so yeah it probably would have been pretty easy to do.

quote:

Doubly so in a democracy where you are accountable for the fact that you have the ability to end the war versus intentionally send more of your own people to their deaths to invade a foreign country.

:hmbol: at the idea him facing any consequences for not dropping the bomb. What're they gonna do, not elect him for a third term he couldn't run for anyway?

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 9, 2022

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Only one of us, you, has had to lie to feel good about themselves in this thread. Why don't you cool Hitler yourself into stopping posting in the thread if your post isn't literally describing yourself.

your attention seeking quest has gone in strange directions and i advise you to go take a nap, you're tired and you need night nights

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Eh, it's fun to be angry. Some people do it online

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Nuke thread nuke op. Then peace

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Surely if the toddlers were so dangerous they would have used their iaijutsu to bisect the bombs in midair

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

My grandpa was a chinese mechanic for the Flying Tigers and he used his service to get American citizenship :)

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

your attention seeking quest has gone in strange directions and i advise you to go take a nap, you're tired and you need night nights

Your posting history indicates over 20 times you should've taken one 😊

Icochet posted:

This is a civilian thread!

Lawrence Gilchrist fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 9, 2022

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Icochet posted:

wow nice "joke" advocating for genocide of the op. log off and touch grass my dude. ghoulish

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Imprison, try and possibly hang op for posting crimes if found guilty by a jury of their peers

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
spreadin rear end cheeks waitin for the impact

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
IMO it's extremely tragic that the more cautious scientists were wrong about their prediction that the nukes would set the whole atmosphere on fire and consume all the oxygen

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
wow, genocide much? unlike you, i have realized that people dying is a bad thing, and this makes me a better person. please give me this validation, i desperately need this

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Chinatown posted:

You have to make your rear end round before it can be flattened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Chinatown posted:

https://i.imgur.com/DDDw2rl.gifv