Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
Best - Pink Floyd '94 at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City. Just a fantastic show, would take too long to describe it.

Worst - .38 Special playing an open air concert at the Wichita RiverFest in the early 90's. They didn't want to be there, the audience didn't want them to be there, the weather didn't want them to be there. . .it was just bad.

Honorable Mention - Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bad Company, and Drivin N Cryin in like 1992. Bad Company had that second singer guy so it wasn't like they had Paul Rogers, but my friends and I were up at the front of the stage were all the hard core biker dudes were. One skinny drunk dude started pushing on one of the bigger, scarier biker guys during the intermission after Bad Company. The biker dude seemed to want to not kill the guy, but ended up turning around and giving the guy two of the fastest, hardest punches to the jaw I've ever seen. We were right next to this happening and the drunk guy was knocked out after the first punch, but the second punch. . .it was like a cartoon where the punch twists the head around 3 or 4 times, except it was his jaw. It looked like he could almost kiss his own ear. It was hosed up. Someone dragged him off into the dark while the biker dudes friends shuffled him out of the place.

Drivin N Cryin stole the show though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Best:
I was at Lightning Bolt’s very first show at Carr Haus, the tiny coffee shop on the RISD campus in I think 1993. It’s hard to describe but it was like witnessing a birth. There were so many bands and stuff going on in Providence at the time and there was just a palpable wild energy to what they were doing that night that was obvious to everyone was some next level poo poo. Even though you could say the music itself was an incoherent explosion of noise (which truly solidified later on), they were summoning raw magic and I think they played until campus security made them stop. There was a third member back then doing vocals. They had all the lights off except for an old TV screen that was painted so it glowed red. People instinctively packed in around the band which continued to happen at every show they did after that. I remember when it was over, seeing their set list taped to the floor and the song titles were jagged lines and stuff like |||/\ /\_ /\ /\_|||

Worst: Deee-Lite 1993
I don’t know what I was thinking going to this. I guess I was half expecting an appearance by Bootsy Collins based on nothing but he was in the video. Aside from that it was just a low effort affair with the DJs playing pre recorded tracks and a bunch of dumb banter. Like something put on by lazy high school students.

Honorable Mention (Comedy):
After a long stressful day at work I talked a few of my co workers into going to see Neil Hamburger with me at a small club in like 2002 before anyone had really heard of him. I had only heard an early CD of his stuff and all I knew was his schtick was to bomb on purpose. I never laughed at anything harder in my life, my work friends too, and half the time he was just clearing his throat into the mic and hocking up loogies.

Best concert I didn’t see: I and a couple friends drove from southwestern Michigan to Chicago to see Meat Beat Manifesto open for Nine Inch Nails right before Pretty Hate Machine hit it big. Unfortunately it didn’t occur to any of our dumb asses that it would be sold out. We couldn’t get in. Drove 2+ hours back home. I like to imagine an alternate timeline where I got to experience that because those 2 bands were my favorite poo poo that year.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I saw Lacuna Coil open for Apocalyptica earlier this year in a standing room only venue and they slapped. Did the whole weird hooded vampire makeup thing with lots of crowd engagement.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Lol worst comedy show in hindsight was seeing Louie CK multiple times and shaking his hand.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Best:

MrQwerty posted:

I went to Ozzfest 2004 and Priest's set before Sabbath was super great, Rob Halford was wearing a mirrored robe and kept disappearing and reappearing through a bunch of stage elevators, and came out for an encore on a giant bike in his leather. They played Painkiller and it was awesome. Sabbath were already too drat old at that point, but I'm glad I got to see them. Opted out of seeing Heaven and Hell a few years later because, "eh, I'll get another chance," and then Dio died immediately after, because I am a loving moron.

If that was the Dallas show, I was there too! I was so happy to finally see a Priest show with Halford at the helm. Growing up my parents wouldn't let me go to live shows and the minute I turned 18 and could go Halford quit the band. Broke my black little heart. This show has to be pretty close to the tip-top, but it's hard to choose.
Weird Al Mandatory Fun at the Greek is solid runner up. Al was on fire.

Worst: Eluveitie at some hole in the wall venue in East L.A. that was so new they didn't even have a liquor license yet. Or a guy to run the boards apparently. When they came on, the mix was so bad the bass was drowning out everything else, including the drums and the vocals were unbearable. The lead singer throws his mic down and stomps over to the board and yells at the guy for a bit. No joy apparently as they ended the show then. We all got tickets for a free show, but the place went out of business a month or so later for some reason. Show was a total loss, the opener was some trio in corpse paint. Vocals, bass and drums. Must've been friends of the venue's owner because they suuuuuuucked. Both bass and drums were just doing practice scales, like literally from a lesson book, while the "singer" just screamed.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Best: Saw Rush like 7 times. Was great each time.
Saw Alexisonfire a few weeks ago in a brand new venue in Boston and they loving ruled. Elton John also was insanely good a few weeks back.

Surprising: Linkin Park. Wasn't super interested at the time but went with a friend and they were legitimately great.

Worst: Deftones was surprisingly fairly boring.
Pretty much every Warped Tour I went to but that should be a free space on the bingo sheet. I was 17 and stoked to see ETID (RIP) and a kid in the mosh pit was immediately stabbed so I never got to see their set.

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 10, 2022

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ive never seen deftones live but ive heard nothing but bad reviews. its too bad, i love (most of) their albums. their shows always seem really expensive too.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

CaptainCrunch posted:

Worst: Eluveitie at some hole in the wall venue in East L.A. that was so new they didn't even have a liquor license yet. Or a guy to run the boards apparently. When they came on, the mix was so bad the bass was drowning out everything else, including the drums and the vocals were unbearable. The lead singer throws his mic down and stomps over to the board and yells at the guy for a bit. No joy apparently as they ended the show then. We all got tickets for a free show, but the place went out of business a month or so later for some reason.

Oh man, that's such a shame. Eluveitie put on some (edit: I've seen them more than once) of the most enjoyable shows I've been to, but admittedly I haven't seen them since Anna was in the lineup.

All the Paganfest alumni I've seen have been incredible every time I've seen them. :black101:

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 10, 2022

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Best in recent memory: I went to a show called "Csardas: Tango of the East" which was kind of like Riverdance but with Hungarian folk music and dancing instead of Irish. The show was pretty good, but what made it awesome was it was the first stop on their world tour, and you could tell the performers were psyched and having a great time. After the show, they all came out into the lobby and taught people how to do the dances.

Also great: Huun Huur Tu. I've seen them live twice.

Worst in recent memory: some opera about Susan B. Anthony. The music was just atrocious, although I'm sure the musicians were trying their hardest, and the opera was dull despite being about a really fascinating person.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

Skratte posted:

best: Metallica in like 2000, I was close enough to the stage to get sprayed with a little james hetfield scream spit and my then best friend caught Kirk's guitar pick when he threw it into the audience. I wonder if she still has it. This was a free concert because James had been injured or something and hadn't been able to be at the previous show, so they came back a while later and did a show to make it up. Super nice of them. It really made up for having to grimace through Kid Rock performing their songs at the previous show (he didn't even perform them he'd do like a couple of lines and then segue back into his own music, awful)

ZZTop also put on a really good show, same with They Might Be Giants. Those are like my top 3.

worst: Smashing Pumpkins during either machina of god tour or machina II, I can't remember. they were in the middle of breaking up, half the band wasn't there, and they sped through all their songs. Also the venue made me take all my jewelry off, so I had to go back to the car and then get back in line. loving Bronco Bowl.

weirdest concert: the moody blues. a friend really wanted to go, a weird choice for a teenage girl who loved black metal. Everyone there just laid on blankets the whole time like it was just nap time. Their music is pretty nap inducing... The absolute thickest fog of weed I've ever been in lmao

last concert I went to was Cibo Matto. Glad I got to see them before they broke up again.

Wow funny, one of the worst concerts for me was ZZ Top at the Wintergarden Ballroom, where the AC was not working and everyone immediately rushed the stage, causing our girlfriends to pass out. Also saw The Moody Blues around the same time and loving fell asleep during the show. Pretty sure that drugs contributed to both experiences.
Later saw ZZ Top open for the Stones at the Cotton Bowl, was a fantastic show. And recently saw The Moody Blues play the entire Days Of Future Past album on the fiftieth anniversary of it’ s release- also an excellent show.
Best show, Neil Young and Crazy Horse on the Rust Never Sleeps tour. Honorable mentions to ELO, B-52s, The Pretenders(at the Bronco Bowl!), Spoon, and recently The Smile. Super jealous of all you fuckers who got to see Radiohead.
I love Yes, but both times I saw them they played their most obscure, uninteresting tunes.
Worst show was Deep Purple at some dive in Dallas. I think the only original member of the band was the drummer. They played one and a half songs then stormed offstage.
Saw Genesis in the late 70s. I remember absolutely positively nothing about the show, my younger brother and my cousin still talk about how cool it was for me to take them to that show <shrug>.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Worst comedy was Seinfeld. My wife got us tix for my bday and I was pretty excited. It was just after the show ended so the hype was still kinda high but you had that uneasy feeling cuz it ended so poorly. It was.. bad. We had heard every freaking joke from the show or Leno or whatever before. Absolutely NO new content. I felt bad because my wife paid a ton for these tickets for just poo poo. Not many people laughed because I think everyone being Seinfeld fans had already heard this same poo poo before as well. It was just uncomfortable.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Best: RAISE A SUILEN Heaven and Earth, Kobe 2019. The best mix of the group's old style of covering other BanG Dream franchise songs and having guest vocalists combined with the newer style they shifted into as they got more originals and debuting their own covers of non-franchise songs. Plus there was a secret guest with some throwback performances to their first concert.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5WHXDtNyW0 Shame this video doesn't have the extended intro included, they led up to this new song with like 5 minutes of instrumental and a call-and-response section.

Runners-up: Either Weird Al, Mandatory World Tour or Barenaked Ladies, Last Summer on Earth Tour, both in 2015 at The Mann in Philly. Good mixes of classics and songs I hadn't heard since I hadn't really listened to either since the 90s and picking up tickets was a "hey they're in the area so why not" decision. Brought my mom with me and we both just had a solid good time.

Worst: 98 Degrees in 1998 or 1999. Tried to look up the venue but couldn't find a definitive answer, would've been around Philly. I only went cause a friend's family (the friend, his mom, and his sister) had an extra ticket for free. First concert I ever went to, we had nosebleed seats and I couldn't hear poo poo over the audience screaming.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Best: whichever Neverender tour Coheed and Cambria played where Thank You Scientist opened for them. Coheed is always amazing live, their fanbase is so weird and obsessive and kind of crazy that the shows always have a wild fervor where everyone is singing along to these 15 minute prog rock epics and it owns, but it was my first exposure to TYS and they blew my mind.

I also saw the Zombies at First Avenue in Minnesota a few years back, and it was really cool seeing music legends just belt it out like there was no tomorrow while being too old to really dance or anything. Seriously, the harmonies were absolutely unreal.

Worst: I saw Steely Dan at Summerfest once before Becker died, the sound system was awful, Michael McDonald was the opener and they brought him out for Kid Charlemagne where he botched some of my favorite lines, and I was seeing it with a horrible ex girlfriend that was whining literally the entire time. I saw them after Becker passed away when the Doobie Brothers opened, with my wife and in-laws, and they were amazing and tons of fun.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Speaking of worst comedy concerts -

I saw Bill Cosby in like 2007. It started with 10 minutes of two random bank people explaining how great their bank was and they were sponsoring the show and all the great things they sponsor around town. Finally, after they finished - Ladies and gentlemen, BILL COSBY sponsored by BANK! and he shuffles out on stage wearing the local university baseball cap. He sits down in a chair on in the middle of the stage and proceeds to just ramble for 50 minutes in very disconnected, dementia-addled "comedy". No one is laughing except some very minor sympathy laughs.

Finally, he brings out the big guns for the final bit - His daughter had heard that dead people are cremated and turned to dust. So she came into his bedroom crying about dead people under her bed. Cosby goes into her room and under the bed? "It's dust. Thank you folks!" and people clapped modestly for a living legend (or so he was at the time).

After the show everyone in the group was like "whew, that was WEAK".

Seinfeld also loving sucked. Early 2000s, he had exactly one decent bit about Al-Qaeda thinking the entire USA was made out of monkey bars based on the footage they put in their scare tactic videos. The rest was completely toothless nothing.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Ralph Hurley posted:

Best:
I was at Lightning Bolt’s very first show at Carr Haus, the tiny coffee shop on the RISD campus in I think 1993. It’s hard to describe but it was like witnessing a birth. There were so many bands and stuff going on in Providence at the time and there was just a palpable wild energy to what they were doing that night that was obvious to everyone was some next level poo poo. Even though you could say the music itself was an incoherent explosion of noise (which truly solidified later on), they were summoning raw magic and I think they played until campus security made them stop. There was a third member back then doing vocals. They had all the lights off except for an old TV screen that was painted so it glowed red. People instinctively packed in around the band which continued to happen at every show they did after that. I remember when it was over, seeing their set list taped to the floor and the song titles were jagged lines and stuff like |||/\ /\_ /\ /\_|||

that's insane hipster cred

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Best comedy was early career Mike Birbiglia. My podunk college booked a lot of comedians and they were often local or small names and I hadn’t heard of him, but we quickly became stunned and baffled about we got someone that good. AAA show with masterful storytelling.

Worst was Dave Foley doing standup solo. One of the all time greats in a group but being alone was not his strength. Thankfully he had killer opening acts and got to meet him after and he was nice and when I mentioned he was great as Yes Man in Fallout NV he paused and realized the developers had never mailed him a promised copy of the game.

Side mention of Marc Maron, saw him when his podcast was catching fire and was a bit let down as his routine was ok but generic. Then ten years later watched his Netflix special and was surprised at how many of the exact same so so jokes he was still using.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
went to a metal show in a smallish venue in Berlin in 2015. a few metalcore bands were playing and i was the only american there. i got drunk with some locals and it was great but i had to take an emergency drunk/travel poo poo in the bathroom that was covered on every possible surface with graffiti tags. 10/10 legendary poo poo. great time.

i got incredible doner kebab on the way back to my hostel afterwards.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

20 Blunts posted:

that's insane hipster cred

True, although parts of it reminded me of that Onion bit “Garage Band Actually Believes There Is A ‘Terre Haute Sound’”.

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long
Best: Probably The Aquabats with The Phenomenauts as their opening act. High energy set and the crowd was super into it. I moshed for the entirety of their set.

Worst: Deltron 3030. Saw them at a small festival and was not impressed. Most of the crowd walked and I decided to just hit my tent halfway through their set since I was tired from tripping on acid two days in a row. I would really like to see a good live rap set but all the ones I've seen have been pretty disappointing.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Best: Prince 'Piano & A Microphone' at the State Theatre, Feb 2016. It was beautiful and sad and perfect.

Worst: Ariel Pink in 2015. An absolutely lovely mess of a performance. I left before the end, which is something I've never done before or after. I'm glad he turned out to be an even bigger dickhead later on because I no longer feel guilty about it.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Creature posted:

Worst: Ariel Pink in 2015. An absolutely lovely mess of a performance. I left before the end, which is something I've never done before or after. I'm glad he turned out to be an even bigger dickhead later on because I no longer feel guilty about it.

Had never heard of this guy and had to look at his Wikipedia. God what a trash bag human.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Some interesting stories from goons. Some standouts for me:

Best:

Melvins / Big Business - Someone mentioned this earlier, and it was incredible, especially with Dale Crover's other bands Men of Porn and Altamont opening up

HORDE Tour '97, I think. The lineup was Ween, Leftover Salmon, Primus, Blues Traveler and Neil Young. All were fantastic.

Tony Williams - Had no idea who he was, but as a young musician I had just read Miles Davis' autobiography and got tickets at a local university hall. Amazing.

Mike Watt on the Ball Hog / Tugboat tour. Nels Cline was the guitarist. Had no idea who Nels was until I saw that

Michael Cleveland - Despite all the rock bands listed, I'm a huge bluegrass fan, and he's just on a whole other level than any other fiddler you'll hear. Just incredible virtuosity.

Worst:

"Soul" Brains - Bad Brains are one of my favorite bands, and had regrouped under this name. Fans of the band will understand what a disappointment they can be at any given time due to the mental illness of their singer. It was tepid, a bit of a reggae open mic night with HR

Iron Maiden - I absolutely agree with everything posted earlier about them being incredible, and they were- until Sharon Osborne pulled the plug multiple times in their set, including, IIRC, in the middle of "Run To The Hills". Just terrible of her to do that to the fans. This was Ozzfest...'05 or something. Imagine watching them play that song and all of a sudden the power / sound cuts out. Talk about the wind going out of your sails

Widespread Panic - I love the Dead and like / tolerate some jam bands in that orbit of influence. However, someone convinced me to go to a Panic show, on a weeknight at that, and it was just bad. I can't describe it, it was just boring. So much that when I asked the fans that brought me there why they never fired up the herb that they brought, they said because the set was bad and they didn't want to fall asleep.

Like many of you, I've seen a lot of bands, and have had so many wonderful and interesting experiences seeing them.

One last interesting one - Saw the Melvins or GWAR or Helmet or someone in the late 90s, and there was some guy opening up there in a Misfits T shirt and a mohawk playing VERY heavy music and had "Hank III" on a banner behind him. I was like who is this guy? Wait, hang on a second, is that Hank Williams Jr's kid? I've never heard of him?! ...but he's playing super heavy rock and not country? I looked at my buddy and said "He looks JUST like Hank Williams, there's no way that's not Hank Williams Sr's grandson". Had no idea who he was. Obviously know now!

Also, someone bought me tickets to a Mitch Hedberg show right before he died. Had no idea who he was. What a special experience. Sad that he passed.

Planet X fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 10, 2022

That Dang Lizard
Jul 13, 2016

what; an idiomt
Best concert I ever saw was without a doubt Cheap Trick a year or so back. Incredible energy and effortless professionalism, and not a single bad note. Especially considering the age of most of the lineup.

Worst was probably The Angels. The technical stuff was fine but it was a remarkably flat performance, and felt like they were only putting in the bare minimum of effort - especially bad considering they had Boom Crash Opera as the opening act, who were fantastic and really got the crowd moving.
I think it was largely let down by Dave Gleeson as the lead vocalist, I don't think the venue was big enough to stroke his overblown ego and he was phoning it in as a result.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Planet X posted:

Iron Maiden - I absolutely agree with everything posted earlier about them being incredible, and they were- until Sharon Osborne pulled the plug multiple times in their set, including, IIRC, in the middle of "Run To The Hills". Just terrible of her to do that to the fans. This was Ozzfest...'05 or something. Imagine watching them play that song and all of a sudden the power / sound cuts out. Talk about the wind going out of your sails

I totally forgot about that! I remember hearing about it and going wtf. I found an old article on it with lots of blurbs from the fans who were there.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/iron-maiden-pelted-with-eggs-during-ozzfest-sharon-osbourne-calls-bruce-dickinson-a-prick

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Best: Mozart
Worst: The Beatles

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

YeahTubaMike posted:

Oh man, that's such a shame. Eluveitie put on some (edit: I've seen them more than once) of the most enjoyable shows I've been to, but admittedly I haven't seen them since Anna was in the lineup.

All the Paganfest alumni I've seen have been incredible every time I've seen them. :black101:

Yeah I was pretty disappointed. Luckily I'd seen them before and since and all those show slapped.

Paganfest! Now there's another contender to best show. I wasn't even aware of folk metal as a genre back in '07. I lived upstairs from the Vault in Long Beach and I see a poster for it on the door one day, check it out from curiosity.

Tyr, Turisas, Eluveitie and one other I can't remember. Fake edit: Ensiferum and Suidakra. All of them were in top form, just absolutely killing it.
(It was also nice being able to just stagger out the door, go up an elevator and fall into bed afterwards.)

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

That Dang Lizard posted:

Best concert I ever saw was without a doubt Cheap Trick a year or so back. Incredible energy and effortless professionalism, and not a single bad note. Especially considering the age of most of the lineup.

I have seen Cheap Trick more than any other band, from 1985 on, probably 12 times. They are great!

They did suck once, during the tour for the Doctor album. Oof.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL

kntfkr posted:

Best: Mozart
Worst: The Beatles

The Beatles suck, I believe it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

CaptainCrunch posted:

Yeah I was pretty disappointed. Luckily I'd seen them before and since and all those show slapped.

Paganfest! Now there's another contender to best show. I wasn't even aware of folk metal as a genre back in '07. I lived upstairs from the Vault in Long Beach and I see a poster for it on the door one day, check it out from curiosity.

Tyr, Turisas, Eluveitie and one other I can't remember. Fake edit: Ensiferum and Suidakra. All of them were in top form, just absolutely killing it.
(It was also nice being able to just stagger out the door, go up an elevator and fall into bed afterwards.)

If I recall correctly (and it's quite possible I don't), I went to Paganfest 2007, 2008, 2013, and 2014. I learned about folk metal through various internet forums speculating about who Toki and Skwisgaar were modeled after -- Finntroll & Ensiferum came up in conversation, and the rest was history. :keke:

Seriously though, I understand that Turisas, Eluveitie, Korpiklaani, Metsatöll, Heidevolk, Wintersun, etc. are all popular enough to headline their own tours now, but I would be willing to pay a shitload of money for a proper Paganfest festival with three days of headliners & random other low-key blackened/deathened/power folk acts in support. A girl can dream...

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Best:
Metallica - Busch Stadium (2017) - One of my favorite bands in my favorite stadium. Was pouring through the openers, but we had fun anyway. Volbeat was fantastic and turned me into a fan. I've seen Metallica four times now, and it's always great, but this was probably my favorite. Found a couple kids in line who were maybe 15? 16? It was their first concert, so I helped them get right up to the barricade. I remember someone doing that for me at my first show, so it's been a nice tradition to pass it along every time I've gone to see Metallica, and I think they had fun. Definitely one of the loudest shows I've been to.

Melt-Banana - The Roxy (2015) - If you've never seen a short 50-year-old gay biker absolutely demolish a floor-wide mosh pit to a Japanese punk band, have you ever really lived? I don't know who you were, my man, but you were a true king.

Worst:
Devin Townsend - El Ray Theater, L.A. (2012?) - To be honest, this wasn't against Hevy Devy. He's one of my favorites. I just don't remember much about the show. I had been dating someone for a few months, and she agreed to go. The whole time it was very apparent she wasn't into it, so we sat near the bar the whole time while I was sweating bullets worried about whether she was having fun when all I really wanted was to be up near the stage. I'm very into sharing experiences in relationships, and she was someone who would always politely agree to go because it's what girlfriends do but wouldn't do anything more to actually find out why I liked things. I guess we both had the problem, really. We tried for nearly five years and almost got married before things ended. This concert was what I always look back at as when I should have noticed we were too different when it came to our interests. I've still haven't taken a SO to a concert where we both genuinely wanted to be there. :(

Warped Tour - St. Louis (2002-ish) - It was the first time I ever crowd surfed (to Flogging Molly, no less), so it wasn't all bad. But our group got heatstroke and we ended up missing Bad Religion for the headliner when we bounced early. Still mad about that one.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 11, 2022

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Axel Serenity posted:

Warped Tour - St. Louis (2002-ish) - It was the first time I ever crowd surfed (to Flogging Molly, no less), so it wasn't all bad. But our group got heatstroke and we ended up missing Bad Religion for the headliner when we bounced early. Still mad about that one.

I saw Bad Religion last year when they toured with Alkaline Trio. I was mostly there for AT and War On Women but BR ended up stealing the show. Absolutely HUGE energy for a bunch of old dudes.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Best Show (Yo La Tengo Division): when they improv-ed the music for a presentation about Buckminster Fuller

Worst Show (Yo La Tengo Division): any other time I have seen them. They tend to go for less traditional venues so I am like, "oh cool , this will be a good experience despite Yo La Tengo being there" and next thing I know I am at a Yo La Tengo show.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i wanted to mention another band i have a very fond memory of, but embarrassingly i cannot remember their name.

in 2002 i was a broke idiot bumbling around in the balkans. i spent a couple nights in ljubljana, and one of those nights there was a local prog rock band with like 6 or 7 guys in it set up in one of the main squares in the city centre, set up with all their amps and poo poo, playing crazy loud elaborate, multi-section epic symphonic prog in the middle of a bunch of disinterested locals and tourists who were just trying to quietly drink or eat meals. it wasn't really a "concert" per se because there wasn't really a crowd, i seemed to be the only one around who was enjoying it, but they were loving great.

the city of ljubljana at that time seemed like struggling to find some sort of identity, having somewhat recently come out of a war and trying to attract tourists with quaint historical sites while also having a rather serious nazi problem (i havent been back since, i hope they dealt with that poo poo). anyway the city centre was just kind of a weird vibe at any time, and somehow these prog rock nerds had gotten invited to set up and play in the middle of it, not as part of any event or with any other context other than, it seemed, the city's tourism department was booking any musicians who would show up. so these guys played their hearts out and most of the city ignored them and i found a table a few feet away and watched the whole show. they noticed this of course, and started playing more directly to me. it was like my own personal concert except i didn't speak a word of slovenian so to this day i have no idea wtf they were singing about. after the show, i had some beers with the guys, who didn't speak very much english but appreciated my enthusiasm anyway. they gave me one of their cd's, which might still be in a box at my parents house or even somewhere in a chaotic corner of my apartment. the name was long and something like ""sjilvana" but thats not right. i hope they are well, still together, still rocking, and getting better gigs

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I'm starting to feel like I post in this thread too much, but

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I saw Bad Religion last year when they toured with Alkaline Trio. I was mostly there for AT and War On Women but BR ended up stealing the show. Absolutely HUGE energy for a bunch of old dudes.

Bad Religion puts on a loving great show :D

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Ralph Hurley posted:

Best:

I'm on my way to see Lightning Bolt tonight and this story got me insanely hyped!

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011
Best:

Neutral Milk Hotel, Bonnaroo 2014 - I saw Jeff Mangum on his 2013 solo tour and saw them again in 2014 at their own show but Bonnaroo is just a different beast altogether, indescribable

Honorable mentions:
White Denim, Roo '14
Sturgill Simpson, Roo '18
A Silver Mt. Zion, circa 2008-2010

Worst:

Godsmack, their first album tour in '98 or '99 - Low energy, boring, nothing like what they sounded like on the album. Also they had 2 styrofoam gargoyles with red LED eyes on stage that were so small it was like Stonehenge from Spinal Tap. They were covered with literal bedsheets that the roadie came over and whipped off like a big reveal that was embarrassingly lame.

Honorable mentions:
Kurt Vile - Monotonous and boring
Mars Volta - Literally couldn't tell the difference between their music or an amp was malfunctioning. Just pure atonal noise.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Best: Nine Inch Nails, Lights in the Sky 2008 - Wanted to see them for a decade, did not expect the insane presentation with a giant screen in front of the stage they did a bunch of cool poo poo with

HMs: Depeche Mode (2018), Perturbator (2015ish), Ghost (2018)

Worst: Logic - It was fine, just kinda bored the poo poo out of me for the most part and I left early to beat traffic. NF opened and was better imo

Doesn't really count but when I was a kid my mom couldn't find a babysitter so she dragged me to a Michael loving Bolton concert. It was raining, we had lawn seats and they had just resodded so it was a field of mud. He was an hour late and we were walking out as he came on stage, but Mom was pissed so we left anyway.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i saw NIN in the early 90's well before that giant screen tech was a thing and it was still an amazing show. instead of a giant digital display, the visual side of the show largely consisted of trent smashing keyboards and throwing them across the stage

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011

Earwicker posted:

i saw NIN in the early 90's well before that giant screen tech was a thing and it was still an amazing show. instead of a giant digital display, the visual side of the show largely consisted of trent smashing keyboards and throwing them across the stage

Yup, seen NIN in 4 different decades, 90s, 00s, 10s, 20s

In the 90s Trent smashed about 15 guitars over the course of the show. By 2010s he was thanking the audience for coming and saying how happy he was that people still enjoyed his music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I don't think Ive ever been to a bad concert. Live music is amazing. My Favorite show is Andrew WK on Halloween in 2001 at the Trocadero. Got to crowd surf and met the man himself afterwards.