Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Still early in the game so I haven't unlocked everything and am only starting ascensions now. Did ascension 1 as The Silent with a shiv build and drew Time Eater. Racked his bitch rear end up. I had a lizard tail and bottle fairy but didn't end up needing them. Thankfully it was a shiv deck with higher damage shivs rather than high quantity shivs. Also ended up with a lot of dexterity and blocking options. Felt super good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Thread inspired me to get in there and fix my poo poo. Now that I can sit back with a gamepad this game is back to the top of my list.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Haven't been able to clear a run as The Watcher yet. Got close a bunch of times this morning but made boneheaded errors that ended in disaster almost instantly. Got a good run going with a lot of Mantra cards as well as Apotheosis being my starting card and even pinned with an innate style relic. Would enter mega mode every second or third turn then with ragnarok or purging blade just run through everything. Also had Deva mode so I was rolling in energy when I made those purging blades. Final encounter before the boss is the transient. Final attack and I know I'm fine because I'm about to enter mega mode and draw my two super attacks. Draw everything but the two mega attacks, wiped out. It's not even annoying, I'm in fact laughing at it good naturedly

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I forgot I'd picked up Trials of Fire on Steam recently, might give it a shot soon

It's a good time, the starting characters are a bit generic but you unlock the other quickly and you can run some really fun gimmick combinations

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Watcher took me the longest to get a win with, probably like the same amount of time it took me to get everyone else's ascension combined

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Watcher is really vulnerable to steamrolling through the game then screeching to a halt with one really bad hand. Probably part of why the strongest decks are slim infinite or near infinite stance bullshit

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I got everyone's unlocks done on switch so I'm trying out downfall a bit. Watcher took a bit to learn but man scry is busted in general.

The boss characters in downfall seem cool but feel a little slower to play than the base game characters. Only done two of them so far though. Once I'm done playing around with this I'm gonna go all in on one of the base game characters and try and get to A20, probably Silent.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

I got everyone's unlocks done on switch so I'm trying out downfall a bit. Watcher took a bit to learn but man scry is busted in general.

The boss characters in downfall seem cool but feel a little slower to play than the base game characters. Only done two of them so far though. Once I'm done playing around with this I'm gonna go all in on one of the base game characters and try and get to A20, probably Silent.

A20 is a for real challenge, the double boss is rough since you don't know what the second one is gonna be

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

P-Mack posted:

Watcher is really vulnerable to steamrolling through the game then screeching to a halt with one really bad hand. Probably part of why the strongest decks are slim infinite or near infinite stance bullshit

yea you just have so few good defensive tools and the early fights encourage taking lots of mediocre attacks, gotta be careful and avoid ending up with a deck that takes 30 damage every hallway fight in a2/a3

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

little munchkin posted:

yea you just have so few good defensive tools and the early fights encourage taking lots of mediocre attacks, gotta be careful and avoid ending up with a deck that takes 30 damage every hallway fight in a2/a3

Yeah and Watcher doesn't have any healing in their deck to recover afterwards

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

P-Mack posted:

Yeah and Watcher doesn't have any healing in their deck to recover afterwards

And I feel their upgrades are often really strong, so trading them for health at a campfire really hurts.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Evil Eagle posted:

A20 is pretty insane, I haven't beaten it. I usually find A15 the sweet spot for a run that's still going to be really challenging but not sadistic. I believe that was originally the max difficulty at launch and then 16-20 were added later on for the truly hardcore

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I haven't won as the Watcher yet but I have 4 Like Water and there's no going back.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

goferchan posted:

A20 is pretty insane, I haven't beaten it. I usually find A15 the sweet spot for a run that's still going to be really challenging but not sadistic. I believe that was originally the max difficulty at launch and then 16-20 were added later on for the truly hardcore

Whichever the harder elites one is is a huge gamechanger. Aside from the fights generally being harder it makes Gremlin Nob a real murderer that you absolutely have to take any act 1 attacks offered to deal with, which shapes the rest of the run.

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive
anyone saying anything bad about the defect is wrong and bad at the game and dumb and should shut their whore mouths

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tried to play claw/scrape defect today and has 5 runs in a row with no scrape drops :negative:

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

Larry Parrish posted:

tried to play claw/scrape defect today and has 5 runs in a row with no scrape drops :negative:

you cant "play a type of run" the game tells you the type of run it is and you have to adapt to it

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jay z's sedan posted:

you cant "play a type of run" the game tells you the type of run it is and you have to adapt to it

it's a minimalist deck so you kind of have to build towards it by removing as many cards as possible because if you wait till you get the required card (scrape) you'll have way too many cards. i almost beat the awakened on the last run without scrape though. sadly I slowly got whittled down and wasn't dealing enough damage.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

jay z's sedan posted:

anyone saying anything bad about the defect is wrong and bad at the game and dumb and should shut their whore mouths

Having a huge orb capacity of lightning ftw. Though my favourite was when I pretty much just channeled one orb of dark and kept using recursion and bunkering down. I need to try a Frost run next time the opportunity comes up

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I don't like Scrape that much because if I'm trying to use Claw I'd really like to have All for One, which Scrape will discard for me

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the best defect strat is taking Meteor Strike from the first boss just for the possibility that you get snecko as a relic choice

i need to get better at defect builds because right now i think there's two types of runs which is where i get Biased Cognition and win, or don't get Biased Cognition and lose

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 26, 2022

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

my favorite defect strat is going for orb draw, always pick whatever card adds more orbs, gently caress everything else

plus anything that adds focus

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

my favorite defect strat is going for orb draw, always pick whatever card adds more orbs, gently caress everything else

I got my first W with this strat, the artifact that lets you keep your energy, and the one that gives you another orb slot every two turns yesterday

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I got the tude now posted:

I got my first W with this strat, the artifact that lets you keep your energy, and the one that gives you another orb slot every two turns yesterday

that + consume is like an automatic win

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
*does nothing for 8 turns then casts thunderstorm for 15* “I’m very skilled”

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I had a run where I could get a lot of orbs up but just had 0 luck getting focus lol. So I'd just sit back and do 27 damage passively every turn and win by attrition. Also chain lightning is such a blessing if you get it.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

My favorite thing to happen on defect was getting to reptomancer and having nothing playable on my first turn but echo form and mayhem.

Then second turn mayhem plays tempest boosted by chemical x twice and plays like 16 lightning orbs for free

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
biased cog plus any reliable artifact is close to a auto win but it's so good in hallway fights that it doesn't matter much because when you roll hallway fights you can spend your rests on upgrades instead of healing

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It kind of sucks that most curses are fine and then Normality can just end your run by itself. The Watcher will never appraise the spire at this rate

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

beeline shops and buy rushdown, mental fortress, and anything that lets enter wrath and return to normal/calm and whittle down your starters [unless you aren't getting good attack offers]. DO not be fooled into thinking alpha, vorpal blade, and like 3 or 4 of her other gold cards i can't remember aren't hot garbage because they are.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
alpha is a build around card like Grand Finale, it's possible to run with it as one of your only damage sources but you need a deck specifically built for playing it

Also it's not enough damage to beat Heart by itself unless it's duplicate or something

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

mysterious loyall X posted:

beeline shops and buy rushdown, mental fortress, and anything that lets enter wrath and return to normal/calm and whittle down your starters [unless you aren't getting good attack offers]. DO not be fooled into thinking alpha, vorpal blade, and like 3 or 4 of her other gold cards i can't remember aren't hot garbage because they are.

Mental fortress is great. I've gone with two main synergies depending what kind of cards I'm offered. Lots of switching in and out of wrath like you mentioned with empty body and empty fist being very helpful. Then mantra/divinity if I get a bunch of divinity building cards early on. Had a good run going but it relied a lot on those 0 cost block + mantra cards and Normality and the triple jaw worm encounter was a disaster. Was just short of two bonfires in a row also lol.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it almost always ends badly but my absolute favorite build just for being really fun is self-damage/rupture ironclad

if you can mitigate the hp loss you can get insane strength scaling off of it

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

alpha is a build around card like Grand Finale, it's possible to run with it as one of your only damage sources but you need a deck specifically built for playing it

Also it's not enough damage to beat Heart by itself unless it's duplicate or something
Alpha sucks poo poo because you spend tons of turns/mana/cards and when you finally execute the full combo it's going to be another 4+ turns of staying alive

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That relic that does 52 damage on turn seven kicks rear end

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

If you have multiple copies of Omniscience you can make Alpha work but you can also make literally anything work

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

my watcher tip is that Flurry of Blows is really strong

copy
Jul 26, 2007

I got the tude now posted:

*does nothing for 8 turns then casts thunderstorm for 15* “I’m very skilled”

ice cream gives defect so many stupid rear end play options i love it

copy
Jul 26, 2007

double energy after building it up and letting a dark orb hover on deck and then a 30x multicast ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Focus, Capacity, Orb Draw are the three sides of the Defect triangle of victory