Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

I hope you did this on purpose but I still got mad

My eyes slid over that one at first, but now I, too, am mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Buce posted:

I grimace when people pronounce the T in often.

You and me bolth, pal.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Slugworth posted:

When people claim that Eddie Munster is a dhampir. Like, motherfucker, Herman is a Frankenstein, not a human. You know??

Edit: Sorry, I got hot about it, but it's just frustrating. Like, fine, whatever, but you're just showing your ignorance.

Frankenstein was a human, though.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

xcheopis posted:

Frankenstein was a human, though.

some people really be showing their whole rear end itt

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
fuhneticks

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Frankenstein (coolest person in all the countries of Europe) was the monster. Phil was the doctor.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

Bad Purchase posted:

uh, i’ve seen a horse chomp before. many times actually. you might want to lift your head out of whatever book it’s in and try feeding a carrot to a horse in the real world. i guarantee you that horse will chomp so hard your head will spin.

They may Chomp on food but they champ on their bits you uncultured swine

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Buce posted:

I grimace when people pronounce the T in often.

It makes my skin crawl when people manage to remove both T's from "kitten."

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

When someone says or types that something is a "mute point" rather than a "moot point" I want to punch them in the throat.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

When someone says or types that something is a "mute point" rather than a "moot point" I want to punch them in the throat.
But they're already mute??

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Forte, as in "pedantry is my forte," is properly pronounced with just a single syllable, a homonym of fort. Used in this sense, it's a borrow word from French, and that's how they say it.

Not to be confused with forte as a musical term, which is borrowed from Italian and is pronounced with two syllables.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Devils Affricate posted:

Forte, as in "pedantry is my forte," is properly pronounced with just a single syllable, a homonym of fort. Used in this sense, it's a borrow word from French, and that's how they say it.

Not to be confused with forte as a musical term, which is borrowed from Italian and is pronounced with two syllables.

I'm starting to see people using "paramount" when they mean "tantamount".

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

xcheopis posted:

I'm starting to see people using "paramount" when they mean "tantamount".

:killing:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

uranus

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

Worf posted:

uranus
It would be more productive to be concerned with your own anus instead

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Your Anus or Urine Us?
Neither choice is great if you’re trying to have a serious discussion about that particular gassy planet.

Artic and Antartic pisses me right off.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ralph Hurley posted:

Your Anus or Urine Us?
Neither choice is great if you’re trying to have a serious discussion about that particular gassy planet.

Seeing pictures of penguins for something arctic-related also makes me shudder.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Ralph Hurley posted:

Your Anus or Urine Us?

Ouranos

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Ralph Hurley posted:

piss*

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

poo poo!
:piss:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Poohs Packin posted:

Maybe not pedantic but just largely annoyed and :rolleyes: at dweebs who refuse to "get" things like art, fashion, food, etc.

Like, I understand the clothes at the runway fashion show are weird - its art. Nobody is coming for your Duluth Trading Ballroom Double Flex Relaxed jeans.

No, you couldn't convincingly reproduce a Rothko because you saw one on your cracked Ipod screen and decided it was just a big red rectangle.

You're right, the small piece of food on the giant plate as part of a tasting menu isn't going to fill you up. It's not meant to. The fact that you'd "rather just have a steak" doesn't make you interesting.

Folks that take this sort of artsy-fartsy stuff too seriously are really insufferable - but leaning into some contrived "aw shucks" folksy bullshit when you're just drinking soylent and listening to anime soundtracks is even worse.

I have mixed feelings about this. Personally I think the tip-top of the world's culinary (and to a lesser extent, fashion) artists are culturally bankrupt and disappeared up their own asses long ago. But I know exactly the type of STEMlord you're talking about and they do irritate me. My favourite canned response to some jerk saying "I could have done that" looking at Voice of Fire or something, is "Yeah, but you didn't."

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I'm still pretty hung up on 'literally' even if they officially changed it or whatever. Still think it's bullshit.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I'm still pretty hung up on 'literally' even if they officially changed it or whatever. Still think it's bullshit.

i used to be upset about literally until i realised it's literally just hyperbole

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Mister Speaker posted:

I have mixed feelings about this. Personally I think the tip-top of the world's culinary (and to a lesser extent, fashion) artists are culturally bankrupt and disappeared up their own asses long ago.
What does "culturally bankrupt" mean and how does it apply to René Redzepi, José Andrés, Ferran Adrià, etc.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
It's when culture is foreclosed upon and the bank takes it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Misuse of "literally" still bugs me a bit since we have a perfectly good "virtually" sitting right there.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

kntfkr posted:

It's when culture is foreclosed upon and the bank takes it.

yep. it's happened to kntfkr and guess what? it could happen to any of us

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Das Boo posted:

Misuse of "literally" still bugs me a bit since we have a perfectly good "virtually" sitting right there.

The use of "unironic" when we already have "sincere".

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
My roommate gets really mad about the correct pronunciation of jalapeño, so I make sure I pronounce it as wrong as possible whenever he’s around.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

xcheopis posted:

actually i write "unironically" instead of "sincerely" when signing my letters

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Bargearse posted:

My roommate gets really mad about the correct pronunciation of jalapeño, so I make sure I pronounce it as wrong as possible whenever he’s around.

Jay lops

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
holla pianos

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Jalluh peenos.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

xcheopis posted:

I mostly just use "unironically" here on SA, although I fear it has also creeped into my verbal lexicon.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 5, 2022

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

averse vs. adverse
they are not the same word

I don't correct people though, that's rude and pedantic, so I guess I'm not pedantic about it, it just bothers me a little

same with fonts and founts of knowledge, weather and whether, eke and eek, er and err (and how to pronounce the latter), and dozens more such trivialities

it doesn't really matter, language and spelling all evolve and they move toward or perhaps towards whatever the drivers of the culture randomly do, we can't control it so the best we can do is try to keep up.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Here's one: When people try to correct valid regional pronunciation it bugs the hell out of me. "GI-luh-teen" (UK) and "gee-uh-teen" (US) are both correct, but I've never been able to say one without someone trying to correct it to the other.

THEY ARE BOTH CORRECT, YOU WANNA-BE PEDANT.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
To thy known self be true.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
arent font and fount the same thing

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
it's sort of my job to correct how 18-year-olds use "symbolizes" to talk about art but it gets tedious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Mister Speaker posted:

I have mixed feelings about this. Personally I think the tip-top of the world's culinary (and to a lesser extent, fashion) artists are culturally bankrupt and disappeared up their own asses long ago. But I know exactly the type of STEMlord you're talking about and they do irritate me. My favourite canned response to some jerk saying "I could have done that" looking at Voice of Fire or something, is "Yeah, but you didn't."

I once did exactly this. I knew their response before I even said it, and I'm not sure why I said it, so it was kind of surreal.
The problem with the "but you didn't" response implies that if I had made exactly that painting - exactly that painting - people would give me a similar amount of money and recognition for it, but of course that wouldn't happen. I think people are mostly just upset at the obvious money-laundering scheme.

Ralph Hurley posted:

Your Anus or Urine Us?

I blame Articuno for my inability to spell these words for a long time. :(

But also, apparently: https://www.dictionary.com/browse/artic

Zybourne Clock posted:

The opening curly bracket goes under the line with the function's name.