Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

really queer Christmas posted:

It doesn't help that most of the young qbs the past two drafts have all busted with the best being... zappe

Every QB over like 33 just turned to poo poo all at once. And of QBs taken between 2010 and 2016 Carr is maybe the best guy still left? Luck and Newton and RG3 all getting broken really hollowed out the generation that was supposed to replace the old guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Every QB over like 33 just turned to poo poo all at once. And of QBs taken between 2010 and 2016 Carr is maybe the best guy still left? Luck and Newton and RG3 all getting broken really hollowed out the generation that was supposed to replace the old guard.

I was kind of curious so I pulled up the list and I think you have a point. Right now guys with 5 years in the league should be in their presumptive "prime" but we'll say 3 to 10 years starting experience to be what you'd think an effective franchise leader. There are currently 11 players with less than 3 full seasons at the helm of a team. Pickett, Lawrence, Wilson, Lance, Fields, Jones, Mills, Burrow, Tagovailoa, Herbert, Hurts

I omitted guys of no note and bolded the ones who would be considered competitive.

Kyler Murray - jury is still kind of out
Daniel Jones - same as above but maybe the light has come on in a friendly offense?
Dwayne Haskins - Past away in Apirl

Baker - on his second team, likely won't start for a 3rd
Darnold - as above
Josh Allen
Josh Rosen - oof
Lamar Jackson

Tittykisser - probably a career back up
Mahomes - probably this year's MVP
Watson - Piece of poo poo but could play before his haiatus

Jared Goff - Bad but still better than most around him
Carson Wentz
Jacoby Brisset
Dak Prescott

Jameis Winston - Journeyman
Marcus Mariota - Journeyman

Bort Bortles - Retired
Manziel - kek
Bridgewater - career backup
Derek Carr
Handsome Jimmy

Geno Smith

Andrew Luck - retired
RG3 - retired
Ryan Tannehill
Russell Wilson - dying a slow denver death
Nick Foles
Kirk Cousins

Cam Newton - dead
Jake Locker
Gabbert
Ponder
Andy
Kaepernick

2010 has either all retired or never became anything
2009 has one player still going in Stafford who's playing poorly
2008 Matt Ryan who's bad
2007 - lol
2006 - all retired
2005 - Rodgers

There's a fair few years there where talent just plain and simply never came on in the NFL and a whole lot who their teams would dump into the ocean for a crack at a decent prospect but basically a 3rd of the league is run by young / inexperienced players, even if you were of the school of thought 4 to 7 years experience is right where a QB should be in their prime to win a ring you've got Allen, Mahomes, Jackson, Prescott and maybe - Watson who's yet to lace up his cleats this year.

It's not great.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 24, 2022

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

the most insane thing about this is that if you expand the criteria to 'teams without a losing record' you only add the rams to the list

edit: the 3-3-1 colts would be leading the NFC south

John McClane fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Oct 24, 2022

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Think it's time the NFL got away from these dumb passing offenses and embraced the run

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Borsche69 posted:

obviously need a larger sample size but it felt like gus edwards basically solved all the short yardage woes. dude can grind

I think his past seasons are kind of sample enough as long as he doesn't have injury setbacks. And his threat makes it so much easier to potentially make a big play with Lamar. That 4th and 1 play was a really good run and looked to me(just at a glance) like it wasn't necessarily there. And then maybe we're talking about another failed short yardage 4th down play etc etc

And like I said in the other thread aside from that fumble I've been really impressed with Justice Hill this season. He has improved as a runner big time since his initial seasons and that fumble play was an excellent run. Hope we keep using him. Frankly he looks way more effective than Dobbins who clearly wasn't quite 100%. Hope he can get there.

Drake sucks and was a one-week wonder. But whatever.

Really shows how unlucky last year was. Maybe even if Hill hadn't been hurt he would have shown that same improvement last year and been the outside threat we lacked. Needed three season ending RB injuries before the season even started.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Are the Giants going to extend Jones? He's not yet shown himself to be elite tier where you want to hitch yourself to him long term but he's doing enough that it feels like it would be premature to completely bail on him. I assume Schoen won't throw a massive long term contract with no escape method at him. Offer him two years at a manageable cost, see how he does with revamped WR room and make if him the long term franchise QB if he looks good enough? It wouldn't be the contact Jones wants but there might not be a better situation for him elsewhere to be turn it down.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

Pablo Bluth posted:

Are the Giants going to extend Jones? He's not yet shown himself to be elite tier where you want to hitch yourself to him long term but he's doing enough that it feels like it would be premature to completely bail on him. I assume Schoen won't throw a massive long term contract with no escape method at him. Offer him two years at a manageable cost, see how he does with revamped WR room and make if him the long term franchise QB if he looks good enough? It wouldn't be the contact Jones wants but there might not be a better situation for him elsewhere to be turn it down.

honestly qb play is so bad they might lock him up for fear that they might not get anyone else better

we call this the kirk cousins theorem

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Thy can just franchise him and reevaluate in a year.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Franchising Jones is kind of wild tho

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Asproigerosis posted:

Think it's time the NFL got away from these dumb passing offenses and embraced the run

I think this poster is on to something. The NFC West thread welcomes all running free thinkers.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The franchise tag seems inherently antagonistic plus it's a lot when the Giants still have cap issues to fix (I'm taking it as a given they cut Golladay during the off-season, stop throwing good money after bad and carry the $15m dead money).

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I don't know if the Giants have much of a choice. Assuming Jones continues playing at his current level, some team is going to bring him on as a starter next year. The state of the position is so bad that he's probably a top 16 option going into next year.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The Jets should sign him

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

TheBizzness posted:

The Jets should sign him

I hate this idea so much I have no words. If the Jets and Eagles aren't playing, I watch the Giants. Jones is incredibly bad but Daboll is doing magic scheming around his weaknesses. The Jets offensive minds can barely write up good 1st down plays.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Mac Jones will get revenge on his father for abandoning him while playing for the New York Jets. great story

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Diva Cupcake posted:

How much more evaluation does anyone need to know Daniels Jones mostly sucks?

TheBizzness posted:

The Jets should sign him

they should straight up trade qbs lol

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

How much more evaluation does anyone need to know Daniels Jones mostly sucks?
Evaluate their options, not Daniel Jones. Their options to replace him currently suck.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

yikes

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Diva Cupcake posted:

Evaluate their options, not Daniel Jones. Their options to replace him currently suck.

Yeah, it's like John McClane said, it's another Kirk Cousins situation; you want a better option at the position, but all the available options you have are awful. There are teams that would take a Daniel Jones over what they're starting now, which speaks a lot to how bad QB situations are in the NFL.

Speaking of Kirk, is he now a top 5 QB in the NFL by default? A bunch of QBs I would have put ahead of him are either rapidly declining or are underperforming, so does he look less terrible now?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

they can't catch it because the ball spins the opposite way when you throw left handed just another reason tua is such a generational talent :hmmyes:

Nov 6, 2002

But what if he played in the southern hemisphere???

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Shinji2015 posted:

Speaking of Kirk, is he now a top 5 QB in the NFL by default?

No, absolutely not. Allen, Mahomes, Hurts, Herbert, Burrow, and Jackson are still no brainers over him. I'd listen if you wanted to put him ahead of Geno, Tua, Carr, Dak, and Kyler, but he's pretty squarely in their tier.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, it's like John McClane said, it's another Kirk Cousins situation; you want a better option at the position, but all the available options you have are awful. There are teams that would take a Daniel Jones over what they're starting now, which speaks a lot to how bad QB situations are in the NFL.

Speaking of Kirk, is he now a top 5 QB in the NFL by default? A bunch of QBs I would have put ahead of him are either rapidly declining or are underperforming, so does he look less terrible now?

Oh god no

Best QBs right now, in my opinion:

Mahomes
Allen
Burrow
Lamar
Herbert

There's probably 5 better after that before Cousins. Even now.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

lot of folks counting out touchdown tom

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers are in the Kirk Cousins tier now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Jimmy G and Cousins would be MUCH better options in 2023 for the Jets than Jones. The last thing this kind of team needs is a QB who can't throw and who loves turning the ball over.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Ehud posted:

I think in 2022 he's counting himself out

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be honest I think Rodgers can get it back together if he can accept his decision making is bad. And works on it. He’s physically fine.

The problem is at this point Rodgers just might be to far gone for that to be a possibility

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Diva Cupcake posted:

48 million for Daniel Jones is loving wild

Nov 6, 2002

Herbert has not really played in that top tier this year.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

48 million for Daniel Jones is loving wild

Id retire after that year

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be honest I think Rodgers can get it back together if he can accept his decision making is bad. And works on it. He’s physically fine.

The problem is at this point Rodgers just might be to far gone for that to be a possibility

Yeah neither Brady nor Rodgers has looked physically cooked to me in the way Brees, Roethlisberger, and Manning did before they retired. Maybe Packers or Bucs fans can contradict me, but I'm not seeing a lot of inaccurate balls or massive wind ups to toss 20 yard blimps.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Herbert has not really played in that top tier this year.

I think there's a big tier break after 3 right now. I believe that Burrow's pocket passer brain is outstanding. Mahomes makes two or three plays a game that I think is physically impossible, and also has the same ability to throw from the pocket. Josh Allen is almost without comparison right now, I only think Mahomes is better.

Herbert has been playing without weapons every game, and keeps losing them to injury. While on the one hand that's chargers.txt, it also makes it harder to look good. Herbert still manages to move the offense down the field and threaten to score. He's safely a top five QB and I'd rather have him than Cousins/Dak/Brady/Carr/whoever else is in the tier right below him.

Cousins has an outstanding offense from the skill position area. His line isn't elite but it's not as bad as the one Burrow has to throw behind. He makes a ton of plays that reminds you why he's not elite.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Forrest on Fire posted:

Oh god no

Best QBs right now, in my opinion:

Mahomes
Allen
Burrow
Lamar
Herbert

There's probably 5 better after that before Cousins. Even now.

Wow the Geno disrespect is off the charts

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

the ayahuasca-induced psychosis has gotten to him. very sad

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Herbert has looked fine onve you factor in that he has fractured ribs

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Ehud posted:

His divorce lawyers still counting on him.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

fsif posted:

Yeah neither Brady nor Rodgers has looked physically cooked to me in the way Brees, Roethlisberger, and Manning did before they retired. Maybe Packers or Bucs fans can contradict me, but I'm not seeing a lot of inaccurate balls or massive wind ups to toss 20 yard blimps.

Rodgers doesn't look toast like Roethlisberger in his last season, but his deep balls are kind of reminding me of his last season before the elbow injury and then the beginning of the penultimate season before they completely abandoned anything down field. The velocity doesn't look that different yet, but he really can't seem to place the ball very well when throwing far and hard like he used to. Could chalk it up to bad wrs moving wrong of course, but the comparison immediately came to mind when I've seen Rodgers this year

Nov 6, 2002

Rodgers just looks really undisciplined when he throws. He throws with lovely form, doesn't step into it, sidearms way too many balls. Bad habits.

When he actually sets his feet and throws like an NFL quarterback he looks perfectly fine physically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I haven't watched a whole Packers game, other then the Jets game, but his accuracy seems all over the place. I don't know how much is on the WRs not being in the right place but a lot of the passes look either under or overthrown.