Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

whos that broooown posted:

As a buckeye fan my main takeaway from today is I'd like to punch every Ohio State fan chanting "we want urban" in the loving throat.

Hell yes, now this I can get behind.

edit: are they seriously projecting utah vs ohio state again for the bowl? how unoriginal

downout fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Komet posted:

The CBS bowl projection puts Penn State in the Cotton Bowl against Tulane, which is kind of a letdown. Penn State played in the Cotton Bowl in 2019, so I'm hoping for Orange

What’s with PSU often drawing a G5 school for a NY6 bowl?

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Jesus Christ South Carolina is 8-4?

Mizzou freaking housed them.

e: on the other hand I guess Mizzou is going bowling and clearly are an ascendant team to be worried about. Clearly. No shame. This is obvious to everyone.

Drinkwitz has weird juju over us, beating us even when he was at App. But yeah, if I could get a do-over for any games this year, it'd definitely be against you guys and Florida. No reason, on paper, those games should've been total wipeouts for us, but that's college football for you. I guess our two wildly unexpected wins over top 10 teams are a fair trade :v:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

As a buckeye fan my main takeaway from today is I'd like to punch every Ohio State fan chanting "we want urban" in the loving throat.

Ugghh......

Regnevelc posted:

I don't know but it sucks because playing some G5 team having the best season of their lives is a no-win situation. Nobody gives a poo poo if you win.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Man every time Nebraska manages to beat Iowa, they fire their coach the next day.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I had penciled in OU losing to Tech before the season started, but I'd also predicted it would close out a nine-win season. You win some, you lose some.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

wa27 posted:

Man every time Nebraska manages to beat Iowa, they fire their coach the next day.

"I had to evaluate where Iowa was"

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

being a south carolina fan is a loving trip, dude. Fully expecting to faceplant in the bowl game, but don't really give a poo poo. It's astounding how piecemeal and thin this roster was, to then pull the last two weeks off. Beamer might be the dude.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Jeremor posted:

being a south carolina fan is a loving trip, dude. Fully expecting to faceplant in the bowl game, but don't really give a poo poo. It's astounding how piecemeal and thin this roster was, to then pull the last two weeks off. Beamer might be the dude.

Beamer is so perfectly Columbia yet I struggle to articulate why.

I know he was born in Chas and all, but he really just fits in Cola somehow.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/1596773348934942720?s=46&t=SdSu-qSdHaUFil1ZguiY8A

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

Is there a clip or youtube link that shows this nonsense? The UGA/Tech game was really bad for officiating and as much as I want to blame it on the other conference's guys, it was an SEC crew. I wish they'd just make a professional refs league and actually have accountability but who knows.

I've seen that crew from yesterday's UGA game many times before and they've never been remotely that bad. Combined all the elements of the dark Urban Meyer/SEC refs Molotov–Ribbentrop era of 2005-2010: blown calls everywhere, hee-hyuk cadence on the mic, replays on everything taking 20 minutes and still blowing it, late whistles so the team can't get in any rhythm, and best of all, getting huffy at UGA's sideline for being happy after a turnover. Whatever, man.

It was so bad that the Arian Smith TD that was called back (wrongly) was shown as an actual TD highlight on a halftime show later in the day. Great job guys!

Take away the performance by the stripes and UGA beats that mammoth spread easily. That said, the continual "gently caress around" portion of UGA's gameday effort is soon to meet a "find out," though I hope the increased quality of opponents will change that. Then again, LSU last night.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/nfltrade_rumors/status/1596564507224338434?s=20

wayulp

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
....is he going to get drafted? He didn't show all that much very consistently.

Also they need to drop Mizzou and KU into a loving bowl game, don't blow it

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

godspeed :patriot:

Very frustrating season watching him play, but I wish him all the best.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I don’t get this because he hasn’t been very good and I can’t imagine where he’d even be drafted.

But whatever. We need to focus on receiver development and running the loving ball anyway. And defense.

Maybe we can find a transfer gem.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

LeeMajors posted:

I don’t get this because he hasn’t been very good and I can’t imagine where he’d even be drafted.

But whatever. We need to focus on receiver development and running the loving ball anyway. And defense.

Maybe we can find a transfer gem.

Most draft folks still maintain he'll be selected in the first because teams are going to fall in love with his ceiling.

Sam Hartman from Wake keeps getting linked to UF as a potential transfer. His CFB reference page cracks me up.

Three sophomore seasons lol

The rumor is he's either declaring for the draft or transferring to UF in hopes of playing in the SEC and improving his draft stock (I don't really see how it would help that much). He'll be 24 by the time next season starts lol

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Ehud posted:

Most draft folks still maintain he'll be selected in the first because teams are going to fall in love with his ceiling.

Sam Hartman from Wake keeps getting linked to UF as a potential transfer. His CFB reference page cracks me up.

Three sophomore seasons lol

The rumor is he's either declaring for the draft or transferring to UF in hopes of playing in the SEC and improving his draft stock. He'll be 24 by the time next season starts lol

I mean he’s as physically talented as anyone I’ve ever seen, but he’s fragile as hell and doesn’t seem to have it between the ears. Not like IQ wise, but mental toughness. You can see him fall apart immediately after a mistake.

Hartman is interesting but he’s also always hurt and is 1000years old. He could be a really good decision-maker/stopgap QB that can do the Mike Winchell “we’ve got a runner Mike” thing.

He’s also been in that super long mesh system for like a decade so it seems risky to either incorporate that against really good defensive fronts or try and have him adapt to a new system.

But who really know? I certainly don’t.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Apparently Nebraska is covering the remainder of Rhule's CAR contract:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1596885930669150208

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Edward Mass posted:

College GameDay will be at the Big 12 Championship Game for the first time since 2007 next Saturday.

In 2007 previewing future SEC premier matchup Mizzou-OU

Mike_V posted:

Also they need to drop Mizzou and KU into a loving bowl game, don't blow it

It’s going to be the Las Vegas bowl because our AD has connections there, they are deathly scared of getting a bowl too close to Braggin’ Rights like last year, and apparently bowl practices aren’t important

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

LeeMajors posted:

I mean he’s as physically talented as anyone I’ve ever seen, but he’s fragile as hell and doesn’t seem to have it between the ears. Not like IQ wise, but mental toughness. You can see him fall apart immediately after a mistake.

Hartman is interesting but he’s also always hurt and is 1000years old. He could be a really good decision-maker/stopgap QB that can do the Mike Winchell “we’ve got a runner Mike” thing.

He’s also been in that super long mesh system for like a decade so it seems risky to either incorporate that against really good defensive fronts or try and have him adapt to a new system.

But who really know? I certainly don’t.

I think 2023 will probably be Kitna, Jack Miller, and Jaden Rashada competing for the job.

I have a feeling Kitna is going to start the bowl game and it’s going to frustrate us how much more competently he runs the offense.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Well, I want Urban :colbert:

... To stay the gently caress away. Like, even being there for Fox was too close. Go away and fingerblast chicks in bars for the rest of your life.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Ehud posted:

I think 2023 will probably be Kitna, Jack Miller, and Jaden Rashada competing for the job.

I have a feeling Kitna is going to start the bowl game and it’s going to frustrate us how much more competently he runs the offense.

He looked really calm and confident against EWU, but that’s a pretty low bar.

AR’s physical gifts are too seductive for any coach to ignore.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hed posted:

It’s going to be the Las Vegas bowl because our AD has connections there, they are deathly scared of getting a bowl too close to Braggin’ Rights like last year, and apparently bowl practices aren’t important

Actually if LSU loses next weekend I bet we end up in the Birmingham Bowl

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Hed posted:

In 2007 previewing future SEC premier matchup Mizzou-OU

Who cares about the Braggin Rights thing. Mizzou sucked out loud last year so of course nobody cared; this year they've got a fun as hell offense. Give me a loving Jayhawk!!

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Anthony Richardson is a phenomenal athlete but his QB IQ, physical durability, and mental resilience don't seem particularly good. Best of luck to him, though.

Pretty much everyone will be a step down from him in terms of a run threat, but Florida is already good at running the ball so any improvement in the passing game will be a boon for the Gators.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

any improvement in the passing game will be a boon for the Gators.

He missed like 4 or 5 screens against FSU that were perfectly set for 10-15yd gains.

Maddening.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Urban to TAMU when Jimbo gets the boot, watch

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
RIP to this atrocious Michigan State season. I’ve never seen a team have so many defensive injuries, but Hazelton needs to go either way. Payton Thorne regressed big time without the best running back in the country for defenses to key in on. Hopefully he gets his poo poo right next year so he can fulfill his destiny as the next MSU quarterback to become a reliable NFL backup for a decade. The curse of expectations made this season feel worse, but I thought a step back would be like 8-4, which is a rare type of season for this program. Since Dantonio they’re basically always either painfully mediocre or win 10 games.

Unrelated, why does Utah go to the PAC-12 title over UW? What was the tiebreaker there?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

RIP to this atrocious Michigan State season. I’ve never seen a team have so many defensive injuries, but Hazelton needs to go either way. Payton Thorne regressed big time without the best running back in the country for defenses to key in on. Hopefully he gets his poo poo right next year so he can fulfill his destiny as the next MSU quarterback to become a reliable NFL backup for a decade. The curse of expectations made this season feel worse, but I thought a step back would be like 8-4, which is a rare type of season for this program. Since Dantonio they’re basically always either painfully mediocre or win 10 games.

Unrelated, why does Utah go to the PAC-12 title over UW? What was the tiebreaker there?

Tiebreaking procedures (Utah did not play UW, so #1 doesn't apply)

quote:

Multiple-Team Ties

In the event of a tie between more than two teams, the following procedures will be used. After one team has an advantage and is “seeded”, all remaining teams in the multiple-team tie-breaker will repeat the multiple-team tie-breaking procedure. If at any point the multiple-team tie is reduced to two teams, the two-team tie-breaking procedure will be applied.

1. Head-to-head (best cumulative win percentage in games among the tied teams). If not every tied team has played each other, go to step 2.
2. Win percentage against all common conference opponents (must be common among all teams involved in the tie)
Record against the next highest placed common opponent in the standings (based on record in all games played within the conference), proceeding through the standings.
3. When arriving at another group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s win percentage against the collective tied teams as a group (prior to that group’s own tie-breaking procedure) rather than the performance against individual tied teams.
4. Combined win percentage in conference games of conference opponents (ie, strength of conference schedule)
5. Highest ranking by SportSource Analytics (team Rating Score metric) following the last weekend of regular-season games.
66. Coin toss

#2 is too much of a pain in the rear end for me to unwind, but I guess Utah has a better win percentage against common opponents

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Regnevelc posted:

I wouldn't say it's often, but it would be twice in four years in the same bowl.

Going back to 2005,

2005 - Orange Bowl, FSU
2008 - Rose Bowl, USC
2016 - Rose Bowl, USC
2017 - Fiesta Bowl, Washington
2019 - Cotton Bowl, Memphis
2022 - either Cotton Bowl vs Tulane or Orange vs Clemson or UNC

Bowls usually like to mix it up, which is why I'm hoping that Penn State in the Orange Bowl is more attractive than going to the Cotton Bowl twice in four seasons.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Tiebreaking procedures (Utah did not play UW, so #1 doesn't apply)

#2 is too much of a pain in the rear end for me to unwind, but I guess Utah has a better win percentage against common opponents

So it came down to Arizona State of all teams, basically.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Komet posted:

The CBS bowl projection puts Penn State in the Cotton Bowl against Tulane, which is kind of a letdown. Penn State played in the Cotton Bowl in 2019, so I'm hoping for Orange

This is a big letdown

We want Bama goddammit

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

harperdc posted:

Good god was there a delay in the Apple Cup or something, that poo poo went like 4 hours. Christ.

I would think they’d want UW to go face down the wood-chipper play tOSU in the Rose Bowl, that just feels like an old-timey 1970s Rose Bowl matchup if I’ve heard one.

I don’t have the bowl tie-ins memorized like I used to but I doubt any teams get an at-large bid, so likely Alamo and Holiday bowls for the likes of Utah and Oregon.

I looked it up. Apparently if the top Pac-12 team gets a playoff invite, then the next highest CFB ranked team gets the Rose Bowl, regardless of Pac-12 standing. So even if UW is ranked lower than Utah in the Pac-12, they're currently higher than them on the CFB and would get the Rose Bowl. Assuming that ranking doesn't change, they're there. If Utah beats USC, then it probably goes Utah to Rose, USC to Alamo, and UW to Holiday?

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

seiferguy posted:

I looked it up. Apparently if the top Pac-12 team gets a playoff invite, then the next highest CFB ranked team gets the Rose Bowl, regardless of Pac-12 standing. So even if UW is ranked lower than Utah in the Pac-12, they're currently higher than them on the CFB and would get the Rose Bowl. Assuming that ranking doesn't change, they're there. If Utah beats USC, then it probably goes Utah to Rose, USC to Alamo, and UW to Holiday?

Rooting for USC for UW to get murdered by Ohio state. Imagine this defense vs Ohio state just lmao

Still wanna see it though since deboer actually seems to coach well in big games something Peterson always kind of fell flat in imo

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I keep seeing this list but Vanderbilt is also 5-7 and surely not behind Auburn or UNLV.

they are in fact behind both

UNLV 984
Auburn 983
Vandy 973

The highest current P5 schools are Clemson and Ole Miss at 999 and Bama at 997, followed by Northwestern at 995 (they ain't graduated nobody, Pawwwwl). Columbia-Barnhard is the only school with a 1000 APR

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

fast cars loose anus posted:

The highest current P5 schools are Clemson and Ole Miss at 999 and Bama at 997

Lmao, the real ivy league

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
because I was curious I went back and looked and here are your 3 lowest P5 APRs

Tennessee 946
Maryland 944
LSU 933

Florida A&M's 901 is the lowest of any school (all these rankings are just for football)

e: also there's apparently a pocket of OSU fans on the APR site team because they display as "The Ohio State University"

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 27, 2022

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Before the season I would've been happy with 6-6 and the Huskies might be going to the Rose Bowl, what a loving ride this year was. DeBoer is that dude.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

So it came down to Arizona State of all teams, basically.

My favorite one of these was the 2003 SEC East championship ending up on like the 7th tiebreaker so it came down to to FSU beating Florida on a day where Florida had to root for UGA against Georgia Tech and UGA had to root for Tennessee against Kentucky.

(all for the right to get mashed by Saban)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

KKKLIP ART posted:

Is there a clip or youtube link that shows this nonsense? The UGA/Tech game was really bad for officiating and as much as I want to blame it on the other conference's guys, it was an SEC crew. I wish they'd just make a professional refs league and actually have accountability but who knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRvA7DHp-UA

Low quality sorry, just the first one i saw on YouTube. But the replay at 23 seconds is the one the SEC replay guys obsessed on. They never bothered looking at the one at 45 seconds.

There was a replay review in BYU Stanford too where the Stanford WR was clearly out of bounds on a TD Catch and I just got to see the review process from the Pac 12 guys and they weren't even letting the play run through. It shouldn't shock you but the majority of the replay officials in the NCAA are old loving guys who just can't hack it with multiple video angles and get overwhelmed and poo poo. Like, the median age of a replay official in the NCAA is probably about 62 years old.