Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
The hydroponics section has an amazing fuse puzzle choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
How many chapters in this game anyways BTW? I can't remember

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

worms butthole guy posted:

How many chapters in this game anyways BTW? I can't remember

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Yesterday I got swarmed by necromorphs as I was out of ammo. I ended up needing to use my mighty boot a lot.

I don't know if it's because I stomped five times in a row, or if it was because I was low on health, but when I finished off the last necromorph, Isaac let out a "gently caress YOU" with his last stomp.

GOTY 2023.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pingiivi posted:

Did the original have the spooky whispers in the sound design?

Yes it did.

I’m gonna start this up here in a few minutes I think, wish me luck!

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Is this a bug?

I walked through a hallway to the tram station quite early in the game, and it was kinda dark but otherwise unremarkable. Then I accidentally sold something I didn't mean to and loaded up a save just before that hallway. The second time, it was absolutely FILLED with fog. As in, I couldn't see the other end. I ducked into a side room, which was normal, and then back into the hallway which was still foggy. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm on PS5

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Leapers are absolute motherfuckers

EDIT: In the original Dead space (chapter 2 spoilers I guess?)were they just straight up growing full sized humans and babies for transplants? I don't remember that at all.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 28, 2023

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CJacobs posted:

I streamed 9 hours of it and I absolutely didn't want to stop save hydration breaks.

Are you going to put it up on your vods channel, CJacobs? I admit, I'm a big ole coward when it comes to these games, but I still want to watch them played :shobon:

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Excellent: The audio is really good and properly spooky. DS2 controls are great and the tap to run without having to hold is really nice. The new blasting off flesh and bone system is proper gory and I love it. The puzzles changes are nice and now there's side quests.

OK: The graphics on the PS5 are not really as good as I thought, even in quality mode. They're good but there's some sort of muddling that's hard to explain. Take an elevator down and watch Isaac's armor and you'll see what I mean.

Meh: I don't really like how they changed Isaac's and Nicole's model. The beginning cutscene lacked some terror when they were crashing in the Ishimura.

Lol: When you get the pulse rifle, I caught myself saying "Hey, can I use that gin since you're dead?" And to my surprise, you can pick it up and use it.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

RatHat posted:

Leapers are absolute motherfuckers

EDIT: In the original Dead space (chapter 2 spoilers I guess?)were they just straight up growing full sized humans and babies for transplants? I don't remember that at all.

Yes. They were. It was creepy as gently caress and one of the things that made me realize the humanity of the time Dead Space is set in is equally as scary as the monsters you’re fighting.

They literally eat planets galactus style to feed their never ending consumerism.

Is there a consensus on what the markers actually do?

Some people say they cause normal corpses to mutate into necromorphs but I thought the markers just manipulate your mind or contain plans for alien tech. The actual spread of the necromorphs is done by that one alien that looks like a stingray/head crab and inject the virus into any corpses it can find.

I thought the necromorphs just happened to exist with markers rather than get caused by them.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kraftwerk posted:

Yes. They were. It was creepy as gently caress and one of the things that made me realize the humanity of the time Dead Space is set in is equally as scary as the monsters you’re fighting.

They literally eat planets galactus style to feed their never ending consumerism.

Some people say they cause normal corpses to mutate into necromorphs but I thought the markers just manipulate your mind or contain plans for alien tech. The actual spread of the necromorphs is done by that one alien that looks like a stingray/head crab and inject the virus into any corpses it can find.

I thought the necromorphs just happened to exist with markers rather than get caused by them.

They send out a signal that causes madness in people(with the ultimate goal of propagating the necromorph "infection" somehow, whether by commiting suicide or killing others), and reanimates dead flesh(though directly turning corpses into necromorphs seems to only happen in close proximity to the marker, it otherwise relies on corruptors to spread it). WHY it does this isn't explained in Dead Space 1

RatHat fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 28, 2023

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

They do everything, basically. The primary function is to soften up the civilisation making it a more fertile ground for the outbreak. Eventually I think a corpse is converted into a spreader once the marker is powerful enough, or I guess if you have the good luck to find a left over from a previous event the cycle can start early.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Ignimbrite posted:

hearing twinkle twinkle start up in an elevator sent a loving chill down my spine :stare:

yeah that's chapter 10 for you

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Re: Markers and their uses

There is all the Necromorph transformation stuff and driving you crazy but the reason why people don't instantly destroy the terrifying mind and body ravaging Markers is that they are constantly broadcasting limitless free energy. Capitalism never needs to slow down baby! People who go crazy and turn into eldritch abominations are just the price to pay for progress. Some of the evil mind waves it sends out include compulsion to love the Marker and worship it, blueprints of how to create more Markers, Scientology etc.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I always liked that aspect of world-building, where the markers are a deal with the devil that it made with capitalism.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

So do I remember correctly that upgrading the Plasma Cutter is a pro move? I vaguely remember that it was one of the best guns (if not the best gun) in the game once you pump some nodes into it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

So do I remember correctly that upgrading the Plasma Cutter is a pro move? I vaguely remember that it was one of the best guns (if not the best gun) in the game once you pump some nodes into it.

It's at least the correct choice but all of the weapons in DS2 were good.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The Plasma Cutter is the best gun in the game in OG Dead Space, especially once you start upgrading it. There’s a reason why there’s a “one gun” achievement for beating the game using only the plasma cutter.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
My favorite thing about the plasma cutter was that the game immediately let you sell it. I saw it as a minor nod to the game’s initial immersive sim roots.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Xenomrph posted:

The Plasma Cutter is the best gun in the game in OG Dead Space, especially once you start upgrading it. There’s a reason why there’s a “one gun” achievement for beating the game using only the plasma cutter.

Sadly I already hosed myself over for that achievement by briefly trying out the assault rifle after I got it, deciding I didn't like it and going back to the cutter :cry:

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Xenomrph posted:

I'm playing on Hard and I find that the Plasma Cutter is pretty good for versatility but there are some nice weapons that are hard counters to the other types of necromorphs.

The Ripper is so good against Leapers I can't even try to waste the 10+ PC shots it takes to kill one.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

game looks great so far, just started chapter 2 on hard (I played the previous games quite a bit). I've found after shoooting off a leg, just spamming stomps is a good way to conserve ammo.

was the ripper in the original game? I only remember it from ds2. The line rifle with statis+alt fire is incredibly good for getting rid of harder enemies later in the game.

back in the day i was watching a guy that was insanely good at the game, he could beat the whole thing without getting hit. he would sell everything he got and just buy power nodes. he only needed the ammo he picked up.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 28, 2023

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
My highest complaint with this game are the notification messages that have a sound that starts like booting up windows 95?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just wrapped up chapter 1, this game owns and is an amazing upgrade over the original. Talking Isaac rules, blowing flesh off enemies rules, the bonus DLC suits are awesome (and one is a callback to a DLC suit from the original game).

I liked that in the text log of Isaac’s backstory that you can find, it keeps the tradition of sci-fi authors - Isaac’s parents are named Poul (Anderson) and Octavia (Butler)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

chapter 2 tip after getting security clearance, go all the way back to the zero gravity area, you can open up a door which has a bunch of goodies and a power node

and then on the way back a poison dude spawned lol

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Had an amazing bug while I was playing it yesterday.

I was just wrapping up Chapter 4 (just after the much improved version of recalibrating the ADS systems) and was on my way back into the ship. I was about to hit the little corridor before the door and engaged my grav boots to walk it... and then immediately no-clipped fell through three decks to the Bridge. Stunned and shocked me more than anything else in the game so far, especially since I didn't save much and hadn't died yet so I didn't know how robust the autosave was, so I was freaking out that I just lost a lot of progress until I landed on the deck.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Patch incoming at some point.

https://twitter.com/EAHelp/status/1619408696479735808?t=85rmfep_azk34I9uLVO50Q&s=19

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i'm fully on team ripper after i picked it up. bought the fancy 11k upgrade as well. reminds me of ghiza's wheel, if any of you play elden ring

edit: power node and bench tip: you can reset all nodes on a weapon for 5k, letting you reallocate them to something else, which is really nice

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 28, 2023

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

Re: Markers and their uses

There is all the Necromorph transformation stuff and driving you crazy but the reason why people don't instantly destroy the terrifying mind and body ravaging Markers is that they are constantly broadcasting limitless free energy. Capitalism never needs to slow down baby! People who go crazy and turn into eldritch abominations are just the price to pay for progress. Some of the evil mind waves it sends out include compulsion to love the Marker and worship it, blueprints of how to create more Markers, Scientology etc.

If I remember right, the deal with the marker is that it will get into your head and will always try to find a way to get you to build it, to protect it and to help it grow it's influence. Earth Gov wants to avert a energy crisis, Unitology wants it becuase they believe the convergence will lead them to paradise, in the second game Isaac is constantly tormented by hallucinations that discreetly try to bring him to it's bidding even when directly opposed to it. Whatever your viewpoint is, it will twist them to it's service.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Haha you can attack a Line cutter mine to a physics object and then carry it around with kinesis

EDIT: With the infested suit when Isaac takes off his helmet he actually takes off his whole HEAD. It’s very funny in cutscenes

RatHat fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 28, 2023

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Is it me or is this game much harder than the original? I got the platinum trophy for the original with little problem but in this version I have already quite shamefully lowered the difficulty to Easy because the necromorphs do so much damage. Even after doing that, I've come dangerously close to dying a few times.

I guess it's entirely possible that my old man reflexes have greatly deteriorated in the last fifteen years but I'd like to think that that's not the case. :sigh:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How do you unequip the digital deluxe suits to go back to the default?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah PC is completely unplayable at the moment. Sucks.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I wonder what the issue is. I was talking to someone yesterday who has the same specs as me and for them it is unplayable whereas for me it runs great. So strange.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
This remake got the RE2R treatment and is perfect in pretty much every way. So far I don't think I'm overidealizing it

10/10 must play for horror fans

RatHat posted:

How do you unequip the digital deluxe suits to go back to the default?

Go back to the shop and pick the default suit

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

actionjackson posted:

yeah that's chapter 10 for you

That happened in chapter 6 for me :stare:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

...! posted:

Is it me or is this game much harder than the original?

hard to say definitively, but i think everything's a smidge more aggressive and faster to move, and the lack of the kind of hardware limitations you had on the 360 means that they can just spawn in however many necromorphs they want. you obviously had moments where they'd do pincer attacks in a hallway in the original, but you're regularly dealing with 2-3+ guys in most encounters here

i admittedly like the change but it definitely requires an adjustment in how you play and in keeping aware of your periphery even more than the original

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

...! posted:

Is it me or is this game much harder than the original? I got the platinum trophy for the original with little problem but in this version I have already quite shamefully lowered the difficulty to Easy because the necromorphs do so much damage. Even after doing that, I've come dangerously close to dying a few times.

I guess it's entirely possible that my old man reflexes have greatly deteriorated in the last fifteen years but I'd like to think that that's not the case. :sigh:

The game's definitely more difficult than the original, they've added one or two more necromorphs to a lot of the encounters and that changes the pace of the game a bunch. Elite necromorphs have batshit levels of health now, especially Enhanced Lurkers. It's really interesting because it screws hugely with the original game's balance, but they're not intending to keep the original game's balance anyway so it's alright.

CommissarMega posted:

Are you going to put it up on your vods channel, CJacobs? I admit, I'm a big ole coward when it comes to these games, but I still want to watch them played :shobon:

Yes, thank you for asking! I ran out of recording space and so have to cut together the vod but it will be up on that channel soon. For now you can find the full twitch archive right here! More coming on Sunday!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 29, 2023

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Did they get rid of node unlock doors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

muscles like this! posted:

Did they get rid of node unlock doors?

Yup. They've been replaced by security doors and power grid switch puzzles. Feel free to spend spend spend this time around, I've been walking around with 0 nodes for the first time in a Dead Space game and it's freeing!

BENCH PRO TIP: When you buy a weapon upgrade from the store, you ALSO salvage a free power node from it! So the ones that cost 11k expand your upgrade grid for only slightly more than the cost of a node!